Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub and Club mega-thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Some american friends that are staying with us at the moment want me to take em out tonight for a few drinks in town. Dont think ive ever been out on New Years Day before, won't it be pretty quiet? Do many/any places even open?

I was thinking of bringing em to whelans, but couldnt find out if its open today/tonight.

Anyone know what the story is with whelans/pubs in town in general, on this very hungover day?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from Beer / Wine / Spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Whelans - (01)4780766

I imagine most pubs would be open. It's a bank holiday, and people like to drink on bank holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd say most of the pubs along Camden St are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Fibbers should be open, it's definitely dark.

Pretty girls is stretching it though..unless you're into goths :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Coz

Can anyone recommend an engagement party venue in Dublin City?

Looking to reserve an area for about 40-50 people. Good music but nothing too loud and finger food would be a major bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Market bar. Lots of space, they will reserve an area for you if you are all eating. (not sure about that size number though) The food is informal and excellent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No music in The Market Bar Lightening. Just aswell as it's noisy enough with the natural accoustics of the place!

What day of week are you thinking of Coz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 zerobeen?

Looking for suggestions for somewhere in the city centre where I can rent a function room for a party. Russel Court was my first choice, but it's booked the night I wanted it. Anyone know of somewhere that does something similar? Preferably with finger food available. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Thanks guys.

Have to agree with you humberklog. They really should try to put up some material to deaden the reverb in the Market Bar!! For a place with no music it's almost impossible to hold a conversation with someone at the other side of the table.

I do like the food though!!

It's gotta be on a Saturday as people will have to travel from all over the place.

• Advertisement

You could try The New Shebeen on George's St. It's owned by the same guy that owns the Market Bar (J Burke). The foods ok and music is played. Even a small stage downstairs. You could ring them to see as Jan is a very quiet month and a lot of places would bite your hand off for the bis. I don't have a number but if you called The Market bar they'd steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

dtwo accross the road have a private room available.like diceys its usually booked well in advance though.

Must check that place out.

From what google tells me though is that not more of a restaurant?

Sorry I should have been more specific. Would be more after a late bar vibe.

It's more of a relaxed bar affair than a rest.

Could try the Garda Club on Harrington St? Not sure what it's like tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi Lads,
    I'm looking to organise some cheap / good pub grub for a gang of mates about 18. It's for a stag. I don't want to go to rest and then burning everyone's wallets.

Anyway between Ringsend and the City would be good. Between 6.30 and 8.00. An early bird might do the trick. But simple pub grub would be better.

any ideas?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Robbie23

I reckon Solas on Camden st is your best bet then-really nice food, & cheap.

Little Casears on College Green ain't too dear, bout a tenner for a delicious pizza. Last time I was there they sold drink. :P

I'd say most of the pubs around town do Pub Grub, Doyles on D'ollier St, etc... not sure what prices are like or what the food is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

can't beat The Market Bar just off georges st (on Fade St) they serve tapas but nothing too weird or fancy. big bowls of patatas bravas, meatballs, nachos etc. its where i always go with big groups for cheap tasty grub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Good suggestions Folks. Keep them coming. Anyone got anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

Hairy lemon has nice food and cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 culchione

When is one or when is not a Dub, I joined in a conversation over Christmas in a North Dublin pub and a question asked ''are the only Dubs those born in the city'' was one that had 20 different answers, two of our company, fine gentlemen from the inner city area were adament that the true Dub. is only one who can hear the sound of Christ Church Bells pealing (shades of the Bow Bells), others from the general Ranalagh/Rathmines/Clontarf/Tallagh/Malahide area were kind of puzzled as an identity which they thought was theirs for many years was now been denied and they were labeled Chulcies.
    For myself in Dublin from Kerry nearly 55 years, having 6 children born in a city centre hospital, played with a prominent Dublin club side, had trials with the Dubs. and having a son who played for the senior team with much success,I decided to cut my losses and play dumb but this left me in a further quandry as 2 years previous I was down in Listowel for a few days racing, when there was in the late John B Keanes pub where his son was playing host, up behind the bar were a packet of Kerry Passports, two of my friends got one each on request however when it was pointed out that I had been away over half a century from the county and had played in and with Dubland it was pointed out to me that I would have to make a seperate application in order to regain my Kerry identity, so for now I am countyless.
    My question is ''who is a dub. or what can one do to become a dub.''
    A stateless Kerryman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Millsy91

Anyone know what IDs are and arnt accepted in Citibar these days?

Predebs this w/end there, and wondering if much ppl will even get in. And anyone know what the prices are like on a w/end? Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

emm not really allowed say if ya can or cant.... tho if there be alot of young uns trying to get in they may decide to check if usually they dont

Ok, cool, thanks anyway, was just wondering if it was strictly, gardas, driving lics and passports or anything :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 zerobeen?

Millsy91 wrote: »
    Ok, cool, thanks anyway, was just wondering if it was strictly, gardas, driving lics and passports or anything :P

Hi Graham, it's Rob, Peter's bro.

In my experience, Citibar aren't too strict on ID provided you don't look twelve. If you're worried, your best bet is to go with someone who is 18 and has proper ID, like Peter. Avoid going in with a big group, as they'll definitely get ID'd.

Ok thanks, ye well I have something decent, and can get a passport if needed, just checking it out. thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hopefully this will get a good turn out.
    Dominion: Resurrection
    The people who brought you Dominion are very pleased to announce a special night this Saturday 10th January - DOMINION: Resurrection.
    The venue is the Cellar in Peadar Kearney's (formerly Rogue), 64 Dame Street, Dublin 2. Entrance is free! Standard times of 9.30 till 2.30.

The venue is a green building near the corner of Sycamore Street, a minute or so past Central Bank.

The DJs will be Conor and Greg, playing their patented mix of goth, industrial, ebm and alternative, with the usual smattering of indie, metal and random stuff we like.

We realise this is very short notice, but we were literally offered the venue today. Initially this is a one-off, but if Saturday goes well there is the likelihood the successor to Dominion will be ensconced there on a WEEKLY regular basis. Hence, if you can possibly come, even for a little while, please do; pass this on to your friends not on this list. The more that turn up early and prove that Dublin deserves a regular weekly goth club the better! And hey, the price is right :)

Hope to see you there,

Team Dominion

further info and updates on
    http://dominion.gothic.ie/
    http://community.livejournal.com/dominion_ie/tag/resurrection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'm very tempted to go along even though I'm a little broke.....I'll see tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jophuds

Hi,

I live around the islandbridge area and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the story is with the Black and Amber Pub?

I know it used to be open a few years ago, but I walked past it a few months ago and there was a camera crew and a big catering setup.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks.

Advertisement