Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pub and Club mega-thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think I saw it open about 3 years ago, never since. Walk past it often enough.

That said, haven't seen a camera crew either, but it's possible they've rented it for a week or three. Might be nosy during the week and pop down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

There's a big(ish) movie being shot around Dublin at moment.
    The camera crew were at Black and Amber about a year ago too. Seam to be filming up the laneway to the side of building. The zoo, cricket field in the park were being shot last weekend. They've also been setting up in the Gorman sporadically over the last year.
    Black and Amber's been closed over 3 years now. Boo as it means I've a longer walk to boozer. That said The Oak Tavern and Ryan's are worth the extra stroll as I recall the B+A being a bit pongey.

What's going on with the 5quid pint of plain?
    It's a flipping disgrace. Even what I'd call decent boozers are raping the sh!t out of me. I popped into Neary's yesterday for barrow load. 4 pints= 20 quid. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

During the week I went to wet the whistle in The Beaumont house. 2 pint= 10 quid thank you ma'am. Sweet Jehoba this boozer's in the 'burbs and what the real rub is is that it's oiling the wheels of the FF political machine. This 5 hoolahoops a pop is akin to buying a table in the tent at Galway races. Well maybe that's what's going on. Just as the last peg was pulled from the teepee in Galway Carew and other V.A cronies upped the asking price on a pint of black.

5 trojans a jar in a standard boozer is an affront to our senses. May god have mercy on these meely mouthed, grubby clawed feckers.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I didn't HAVE to pay in Neary's and I did eventually skiddadle for comfier, cheaper confines but I shouldn't have had to. I've invested dearly in that bar for over 20years. It owes it to me (and you) to charge 4.50 at most. I gave a good snorting whince whenever I coughed up the cishcash to the rather truculent barman.

I'm pleased to say JJ Smiths only bounced me for 4.40. This pub does stuff: Jazz, blues etc. upstairs and treats its (rather tipsy) customers with a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Does anyone know which night would be the best night to go here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Just wondering could anybody suggest a hotel in around the city centre to have a 21st party. Someone has already suggested Wynnes in Abbey Street but just looking for other ideas. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Does anyone know anywhere with a drinks promotion in Dublin City Wednesday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Robbie23

LA3G wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere with a drinks promotion in Dublin City Wednesday night?

Citibar will. 3 Quid a drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

humberklog wrote: »

During the week I went to wet the whistle in The Beaumont house. 2 pint= 10 quid thank you ma'am. Sweet Jehoba this boozer's in the 'burbs and what the real rub is is that it's oiling the wheels of the FF political machine.

A pox on the beaumont house.I went in for food a while back and they were charging 13 quid for a small and poxy carvery.No way says I!
    The reason that pigsty has its prices so high is because its the only pub anywhere near beaumont hospital,so they were trying to gouge the staff,the visitors and anybody else they could think of.
    That halfwith <SNIP> was drinking there for a while to try and get <SNIP> toadies hanging around in the place.
    Dont be surprised if the place hits the skids very soon,at those prices they cant keep going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Slunk wrote: »
    Just wondering could anybody suggest a hotel in around the city centre to have a 21st party. Someone has already suggested Wynnes in Abbey Street but just looking for other ideas. Thanks

Trinity Capital Hotel in Pearse st isnt bad,and is surprisingly reasonable price-wise.they also have a decent barfood menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

The reason that pigsty has its prices so high is because its the only pub anywhere near beaumont hospital,so they were trying to gouge the staff,the visitors and anybody else they could think of.
    That halfwith <SNIP> was drinking there for a while to try and get <SNIP> toadies hanging around in the place.
    Dont be surprised if the place hits the skids very soon,at those prices they cant keep going.

It's an awful place. They treat everyone like ****e unless they are a somebody, or can do that prat <SNIP> a favor (See why <SNIP> gets great treatment?)

It's rare, but I hate myself whenever I buy anything from that off license too. Expensive pints, expensive food. A definite pass. I think it gets its business as the nearest pubs are The Comet, or the ABFRC - which is a pain in the ass to get into in the first place.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    I went in for food a while back and they were charging 13 quid

Dont be surprised if the place hits the skids very soon
    I think you must of hit it around happy hour as the prices i saw for food would have kevin thornton whincing.

It's the only boozer around there. I feel like putting on an orange boiler suit the next time it's suggested...hostages the lot of'm. Where else The Kilmardinny? The Pilot? The Comet? The rec? Not great options and not exactly near.
    It's been dear for a long, long while now although the lounge patronage in the evening has seriously dropped off in comparison to 2 year ago (when it was still dear).
    Indeed rudely staffed and sinisterly managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Now folks, this thread relates to pubs, clubs etc. not the owners or customers.

Please refrain from making unnecessary disparaging comments about named individuals.

boards.ie is privately owned and privately operated . You do not have any free speech here.

Any further such comments and the banning rod will be out!

Degsy and sunnyjim - take note.

Robbie23 wrote: »
    Citibar will. 3 Quid a drink.

I think we're just going to watch a DVD and get drink in now but it's good to know, thanks! :D

Is there anyway a mod could make a separate stickied thread listing drinks promotions, locations and nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

LA3G wrote: »

Is there anyway a mod could make a separate stickied thread listing drinks promotions, locations and nights?

Sure may aswell start it off.

Twentyone's on D'ollier St. it's €3 drinks on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, not sure about Wednesday. And all this month it's €4 drinks on Friday and Saturday.

Bondi on Lower Ormond Quay has €2 drinks on a Monday, €3 drinks on Wednesday and Thursday.

Sure may aswell start it off.

Twentyone's on D'ollier St. it's €3 drinks on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, not sure about Wednesday. And all this month it's €4 drinks on Friday and Saturday.

Bondi on Lower Ormond Quay has €2 drinks on a Monday, €3 drinks on Wednesday and Thursday.

Good info, but that's not a new thread! :D

If all the promotions are just listed in this mega-thread one would have to scan through pages and pages of irrelevant informaiton to find what they're looking for.

Whereas if there's a thread sticked by a mod with only information on where and when there are promotions anyone could see at a glance where to go when there means don't meet their thirst :D

Why not stick them on my Rub a Dub Dub Cheap Booze in what pub thread? It's a few pages back and hasn't been merged with this one. I'll go look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Qbar - Free in on Mondays, 3.50 a drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

can someone tell us the best place to go pubs and clubs, we only there for 1 night and want to go somewhere good decent women and decent drink. help appriciated

where is best to go, we are staying at blooms, so club m??? is it any good, is there better, looking for decent women and decent drink at a decent price(i know it will be a bit higher than we are used to) and a good laugh.

what bout pubs before the niteclub, any recommendations, same critiera as above(not looking for much lol)

and finally what bout food afterwards, where is best to go?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

roakey wrote: »
    can someone tell us the best place to go pubs and clubs, we only there for 1 night and want to go somewhere good decent women and decent drink. help appriciated

Only decent pub in Templebar in my opinion is The Place Bar on Fleet St.

I worked in Templebar for years (Fitzsimmons, The Templebar pub, Darky Kellys & The Hub) and I've always advised people to avoid and venture up Camden St instead.

For girls, Fitzsimmons. Its very popular with the British Hens parties.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

If you want decent girls and drink, i would stay as far away from temple bar as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If you want indecent girls and drink, stick to temple bar. Cruise the various bars, be streetwise, keep your eyes open, drink Guinness, bring condoms and a credit card (although most of the UK girls will have their own), smile and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 glasgowghirl

lightening wrote: »
    If you want indecent girls and drink, stick to temple bar. Cruise the various bars, be streetwise, keep your eyes open, drink Guinness, bring condoms and a credit card (although most of the UK girls will have their own), smile and enjoy.
    God, those shameless British girls, carrying condoms, tsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

God, those shameless wise and safety aware British girls, carrying condoms, tsk.

Fixed that for you! Four years single in Dublin city center. I won't have a bad thing said about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 glasgowghirl

lightening wrote: »
    Fixed that for you! Four years single in Dublin city center. I won't have a bad thing said about them.
    Other than calling them indecent!

so where is the best nite club to go, heard club m is meant to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

roakey wrote: »
    so where is the best nite club to go, heard club m is meant to be good.

Haha no its not.

Where you coming from? Are you a bogger? If os you'll be right at home in Coppers, plus its a good spot to get women.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you a bogger?
    That's not acceptable here gary. Consider yourself warned.

coming from tipperary, up to watch ufc then out.

why is club m not great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

have you never been in dublin before?i thought it was at least common knowledge among irish people to avoid temple bar and let the tourists have their fun in the "oirish" bars and pay 6 quid for a pint.if your dead set on templebar then fitzsimons can be ok but the best spots in dublin are out of temple bar.the hub is in templebar, called the thinktank now,good if your into good dance music.

Advertisement