Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's the best Chinese Restaurant on the Northside?

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Looking at a boundary of Finglas to Raheney, Clontarf to Talbot St.

I always tend to go to the same ones. Like I have tried the one in Tyrrelstown, Blanch Village, Castleknock. The one in Sutton too which I didn't like. Nowadays I always go to Wongs Clontarf for a Chinese meal and it is nice but I wonder does anyone have any good recommendations?

There's only so much of the one place you can take. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Try Hin Keng just down the road from Wongs. Its very good. You must like your chinese!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jay D wrote: »
    I always go to Wongs Clontarf
    Do you find them ridiculously fast?

Enter, shown table that is just being vacated, menu placed under nose while coat being taken, select starter and maincourse, starter arrives before I close menu, just finishing starter and main course placed, with bill and then coats and back out the door in 20 minutes. I've only been there twice but it feels like a conveyor belt restaurant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Do you find them ridiculously fast?

Enter, shown table that is just being vacated, menu placed under nose while coat being taken, select starter and maincourse, starter arrives before I close menu, just finishing starter and main course placed, with bill and then coats and back out the door in 20 minutes. I've only been there twice but it feels like a conveyor belt restaurant. :D

Funny cuz it's true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Chinese places could just be nicer. The ingredients they use are full of sugar/msg and the quality of chicken is appalling.

Though if anyone knows of anywhere that improves on the above do recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

How bout Indian?

Lovely Indian in Swords Village:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Redpunto wrote: »
    How bout Indian?

Lovely Indian in Swords Village:D

I wouldn't mind Indian, but it's out of my radar :pac:

I imagine I'd get very cranky after a bit of grub and a few bottles of wine and then that trek....

:eek:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Hin Keng in Clontarf is very nice, would prefer a slightly larger portion size.

Wans (different to Wongs) in Killester village is also good, though I've only ever gotten take away there rather than sat down to a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Try Hin Keng just down the road from Wongs. Its very good. You must like your chinese!

+1, I'll be there in about two weeks time and looking forward to it so I am. Nearly always end up getting a complementary bottle of wine or two.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

well kinara in clontarf is about as good an indian as you'll get in these here parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Silks in Malahide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

well kinara in clontarf is about as good an indian as you'll get in these here parts.

Kinara is astonishingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

My advice would be The Rising Pheonix on Black horse avenue, Dublin 7 above Comiskeys pub. I was only there last night for the GF birthday. Lovely fecking food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Chopper wrote: »
    Silks in Malahide

+1

The food Quality is excellent and its gorgeous. Ive been here a couple of times.

Down side, place is always packed, there are too many tables, service is slow, its pricy (a set meal for two excluding drinks is €90 thats what I get anyway). Its far away from me as I live in Finglas so if I got a taxi it would cost about €70 there and back.

I still think that the food is so so lovely that it makes up for this.
    One to try at very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭shaner

mmm... kinara is an amazing indian.

wan's garden in killester is ok for takeout but sitting in just feels strange. portions are smaller sitting in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Good World on georges st, I know its south side but you dont need your passport to cross the river.

My missus is chinese and she tells me to ask for the "real" chinese menu when you go not the "irish" chinese menu, although have nt been there with a chinese person yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Jamuna in drumcondra is an excellent indian.Cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

ryoishin wrote: »
    My missus is Chinese and she tells me to ask for the "real" Chinese menu when you go not the "Irish" Chinese menu, although have not been there with a Chinese person yet.

Yea, I've experienced this in a couple of Chinese restaurants on Parnell Street.
    Only really works if you have a Chinese person with you as the menu will be written in Chinese (d'oh)

My mate is from Beijing; you should see what he orders from the take away, yikes ! Not for the typical Irish palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

yeah they give you the chinese menu and you randomly point at something and say "with pleanty of curry sauce and chips" lol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

There is a new in Chinese in Clongriffin called Franks thats very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The Orchid in malahide was very nice the last time I was there, dunno if it's still even open or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement