Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary rides again, on our long suffering backs.

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Why is Mary Harney still Minister for Health?
    RTE News wrote:
    A HSE review of mistakes in two hospitals in the northeast shows that some patients had their lung cancer diagnosis delayed by up to 14 months.
    Of the nine patients affected, eight have since died.
    In one tragic case, a significant chance of a cure through surgery was missed due to the mistake.

Problems were first notified to the local HSE in September last year.
    Eight months later, the executive announced a full look back and notified the families concerned.
    That review involved thousands of x-rays and other scans taken at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, and Our Lady's Hospital in Navan between August 2006 and August 2008.
    The review says that the delays had 'varying impacts on these patient's care and treatment options'.
    This includes lost opportunities to provide cures, additional life span and earlier palliative care.
    The delays also led to worry, uncertainty and distress for the families and reduced time for them to come to terms with the impending death of their loved ones.
    Consultant 'devastated'

In today's 60-page report, released by the HSE on its website, the temporary consultant radiologist concerned said he was devastated by the findings and wished to apologise to the families for the anguish and sorrow caused.
    Following the publication of the report today, the HSE said they were going to enhance clinical governance in the radiology in the five hospitals in the northeast.
    The review of 5,835 x-rays and 67 CT scans found that the majority of patients did not require further treatment.
    A total of 4,628 patients need no action while 270 had a problem that should have been reported but the fact that it was not does not have any clinical significance.
    A total of 29 patients could not be retrieved and were the subject of a separate follow up.
    Today's report of the review also reveals that 179 letters were sent to patients who had died, causing distress to their families and relatives.
    The HSE had engaged a mailing company to undertake the postal communications given the logistical challenge.
    I'm intrigued how they couldn't cope with the mail.. A logistical challenge they claim. Then they send them to the dead. So some outside firm got a nice little earner to send out a few letters. Who I wonder?

Sweet Jesus how long will this go on?

What would have to go wrong in the Health Services for a Minister to resign?
    Answers on a postcard to...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hagar wrote: »
    Why is Mary Harney still Minister for Health?

I'm intrigued how they couldn't cope with the mail.. A logistical challenge they claim. Then they send them to the dead. So some outside firm got a nice little earner to send out a few letters. Who I wonder?

Sweet Jesus how long will this go on?

What would have to go wrong in the Health Services for a Minister to resign?
    Answers on a postcard to...

Hey Hagar do you mind if we come and stay with you if we get sick ?
    At least you live somewhere that appears to give a sh** about people's health.
    Vive la France.
    Speaking of France, didn't they use a guillotine to get rid of leeching useless overloards ?
    It has become impossible for anyone to seek the removal of a minister however incompetent, actually the more incompetent the better your chances of remaining in office.
    Also there are rumours they are changing the constitution so that they are now elected for life.

It might be funny if it wasn't for the fact that people are dying because of the incompetence and ineptitude of the people that work in our health service.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i thought she was the wrong person for the job from day one. all this backhanded dismantling of the health service bringing in more and more top heavy organistaions i really dont beleive its all due to incompetance. i really think ff wanted to privatise all health but knew they wouldnt get away with it so make it so bad its done by default.
    she doesnt seem to nave an ounce of compassion or care

god i'm a cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i think they gave her the job because its so unpopular so people will blame the PDs when things wrong. (although i think she did ask for it too)

I wonder what will happen now that they are finished..?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She seemed to be doing OK during her first term and I could understand why FF were eager to let her "finish the job" so to speak. But since the government have gotten into power it's all just fallen apart.

The continued unwillingness to break the consultants and actually require the HSE to account for itself has left everything in a shambles.

We badly need a government who's not afraid to crush the public sector into shape. Harney nor anyone else in Government at the moment have the competence to do that effectively, never mind the will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Seumas, with respect, she was crap in her previous post and she was crap in this - the only difference between her first term and now is the media's reporting of things (they don't like her anymore).

She took on a vested interest? Not really - she had a go at gagging consultants to prevent lawsuits and that as far as her interst lies. That and, in my opinion, eying up opportunities for the husband.
    Jesus a retarded donkey with braces would make more sense than that woman.

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote: »
    Seumas, with respect, she was crap in her previous post and she was crap in this - the only difference between her first term and now is the media's reporting of things (they don't like her anymore).
    Perhaps that's it. I didn't take much of an interest in politics during college, which would have been most of her time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I posted here about 3 years ago how the PD's had far too much power for such a small mandate, at that time Harney had the Health portfolio and McDowell had the Justice portfolio and while Justice is back with FF Health remains with Harney who is soon to be an independent.

IMO the ONLY reason she is still Minister for Health is no-one in FF wants the job and the leadership of FF wants to leave Mary with the job so they can distance themselves from the mess of the health service.

PS there is a vote on the Cervical Cancer vaccine been withdrawn in the Dail today or Tomorrow.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

seamus wrote: »
    The continued unwillingness to break the consultants and actually require the HSE to account for itself has left everything in a shambles.
    Graphically illustrated here. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Jesus, oscarBravo - that post was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

PS there is a vote on the Cervical Cancer vaccine been withdrawn in the Dail today or Tomorrow.

If any of the Government TD's have a conscience and the Independents then the withdrawal of the vaccine will be voted down, but that will not happen.

The HSE is entrenched and like all the state/semi state bodies or quangos in Ireland, they act or operate with little regulation or accountability. Mary Harney has a tough job, impossible even, and she will continue to take the blame for the incompetence of the HSE through all the areas of health care, all because she has failed to clear out all the excess and middle managers and incompetents medical and executive.

I just saw a snippet on the RTE news at one and Cowan looks rattled pointing the finger at Kenny, absolutely no decorum, it is like a bar room argument that is likely to descend into a brawl in the Dail. Cowan needs to wise up, he is not the smug Deputy leader he appeared under the leadership of of Bertie, that luxury has gone, and now he is in the firing line and he is struggling.

I heard a small bit on the radio and he sounded under pressure alright, he really isn't doing anything for the bully image. Must watch oireachtas report tonight.

Villain wrote: »
    I heard a small bit on the radio and he sounded under pressure alright, he really isn't doing anything for the bully image. Must watch oireachtas report tonight.
    I still feel sorry for the poor fecker. He's like the first mate who was asked to take the wheel while the Captain took a life raft and jumped overboard. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

seamus wrote: »
    I still feel sorry for the poor fecker. He's like the first mate who was asked to take the wheel while the Captain took a life raft and jumped overboard. :)

feck that - he was Minister for Finance for four years while the writing was on the wall and he did nothing to correct the housing bubble that is the primary cause of our current travails. Also he didn't confront Bertie over his crookedness, instead defending him at every turn.

He deserves all he gets imo

bring on the next election and the demise of FF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

But the real mess was made by Charlie McCreevy. Decentralisation was his baby as was those brain dead SSIA accounts (most nicely timed to mature just before the 2007 election ... funny that), and his budgets were inflationary vote grabbers, with ever expanding expenses based on boom time financing, and multi-annual sales of state companies. During this time, very little investment was made in important things like public transportation, the school rebuilding scheme and so on. Our broadband infrastructure is one of the worst in Europe because it's held by a company that doesn't give a crap about our service standards (McCreevy's sell off) and we can't bring any experts in because of course the Dept of Communications is now in Cavan where no IT engineer wants to move (McCreevy's decentralisation).

While the "Celtic Tiger" was dying and handing over to a housing bubble, in the early 2000s, McCreevy etc did sod all to stop our costs running out of control, 15% per annum rises in property prices, young men paying €5,000 a year for car insurance, communications costs etc all went out of control and killed any advantages we had in the 1990s.

I always hated that dipstick and I hold him primarily responsible for this mess - I saw it coming as far back as 2002.

Biffo may be a useless clown, but he was handed a poison chalice, the two that REALLY made the mess (Ahern and McCreevy) have since F@#%ed off and left the new FFs to clean up their mess. There is little for Biffo etc to do now but take painful austerity measures, hopefully look to get some real efficiency from the public services and try to scare up some spare change to invest in things like schools and railways and communications infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

all the FF ministers are to blame... nobody said or did squat for fear of rocking the boat and horror of horrors losing their ministerial post.. they are more concerned with getting re-elected and their own prestige and what their historical biographies will say then serving the needs of the people and the nation

He stands up in the Dail and believes the screening system for women is good enough over the vaccination. So many other countries will introduce the vaccine, but Cowen, now a scientist, believes that smear screening is enough. Has he forgotten the debacle with HSE screening? What a plonker, he defending the indefensible in an area, science, that he has clearly no knowledge. Just say the Government cannot afford it and leave it at that, instead of trying to justify an already inadequate screening system. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

SeanW wrote: »
    But the real mess was made by Charlie McCreevy. Decentralisation was his baby as was those brain dead SSIA accounts (most nicely timed to mature just before the 2007 election ... funny that), and his budgets were inflationary vote grabbers, with ever expanding expenses based on boom time financing, and multi-annual sales of state companies. During this time, very little investment was made in important things like public transportation, the school rebuilding scheme and so on. Our broadband infrastructure is one of the worst in Europe because it's held by a company that doesn't give a crap about our service standards (McCreevy's sell off) and we can't bring any experts in because of course the Dept of Communications is now in Cavan where no IT engineer wants to move (McCreevy's decentralisation).

While the "Celtic Tiger" was dying and handing over to a housing bubble, in the early 2000s, McCreevy etc did sod all to stop our costs running out of control, 15% per annum rises in property prices, young men paying €5,000 a year for car insurance, communications costs etc all went out of control and killed any advantages we had in the 1990s.

I always hated that dipstick and I hold him primarily responsible for this mess - I saw it coming as far back as 2002.

Biffo may be a useless clown, but he was handed a poison chalice, the two that REALLY made the mess (Ahern and McCreevy) have since F@#%ed off and left the new FFs to clean up their mess. There is little for Biffo etc to do now but take painful austerity measures, hopefully look to get some real efficiency from the public services and try to scare up some spare change to invest in things like schools and railways and communications infrastructure.

Hang on now, stop laying all the blame at McCreevy's feet.
    Was Biffo not responsible for continuing section 23s, section 50s etc which just kept the housing bubble going, if anything it gained further momentum under Biffo ?
    Who the hell did they think would live in all these houses that were being built in small villages in Leitrim, Roscommon etc ?
    Did he have no control over Central Bank and Financial Regulator ?
    Why did they allow banks to become over involved in construction related lending ?

He was in charge and he kept spending going based on revenue returns from an industry that most sane people believed could not be sustained.

He didn't suddenly inherit a problem, he helped create it over the years upto 2006/2007.
    It is funny how the current FFers would have you believe it was everything and anything that got us into this mess, but it had absolutely nothing to do with them :rolleyes:

It sounds like a kid who, when all the ice cream in the fridge was eaten blamed his baby sister, then the boy door and eventually blamed his imaginary friend. I can't wait to find out who Biffos imaginary friend is :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

jmayo wrote: »
    Did he have no control over Central Bank and Financial Regulator ?

Just on this point, he should have no control over our Central Bank. Independence in the Central Bank, and to an extent the Financial Regulator is very important. Otherwise you're just opening it up to potential corruption and cronyism from the political establishment.

Just watched the debate on the private members bill Deputy O'Reilly made very good points, Barry Andrews wanted to have a go at a FG member rather than debate the issue,

The vote is now taking place.

The vote went 75-65 for the Vaccine to be withdrawn, get onto every Government TD you know and ask them to justify that decision!! A disgrace a total disgrace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

The vote went 75-65 for the Vaccine to be withdrawn, get onto every Government TD you know and ask them to justify that decision!! A disgrace a total disgrace.
    Is there a list of who voted which way? I want to make sure my anger is pointed in the right direction!

Credit to Jim McDaid he abstained: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1112/politics.html

taconnol wrote: »
    Is there a list of who voted which way? I want to make sure my anger is pointed in the right direction!

No but the monitor didn't show any Nil on the Government side, McDaid abstained all others voted to withdraw the vaccine.

The Ceann Comhairle just said it 76-65 so margin of 11

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

taconnol wrote: »

it should be up on the oireachtas website tomorrow... they normally put up all the debates and how the td's voted... though they might axe the IT guy to save a few bob...

Joe Behan voted with the Government on this one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Joe Behan voted with the Government on this one!!!

the ****er knows that come the next election the 12 year olds needing the vaccine will be only 17 and inelligable to vote. different story with the over 70s who he defended to the hilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Credit to Jim McDaid he abstained: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1112/politics.html

i give him more credit if he had voted against that would have taken real courage

Advertisement