Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEC 36 (Wednesday Night) **Will Include Spoilers**

• 04-11-2008 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

Might as well start a thread about this. Every WEC show that I've seen has been really entertaining and I see no reason as to why that streak might stop with this show

MAIN CARD:

* Urijah Faber vs. Mike Brown (for featherweight title)
    * Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
    * Leonard Garcia vs. Jens Pulver
    * Nissen Osterneck vs. Jake Rosholt
    * Donald Cerrone vs. Rob McCullough

PRELIMINARY CARD:

* David Avellan vs. Aaron Simpson
    * Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Brookins
    * Carmello Marrero Steve Steinbeiss
    * Danny Castillo vs. Rafael Dias
    * Yoshiro Maeda vs. Rani Yayha

Faber is one of the top fighters in the world. I love the guy. Mike Brown is sort of unknown, but he sounds like he's a much more dangerous fighter than people realise. I still think that Faber should be too much for him though

Filho vs Sonnen is a rematch. I really thought that Sonnen had the fight last time they fought, Filho looked real bad. But he managed to lock on an armbar and win, despite Sonnen never tapping. Filho's out of rehab now, so it'll be interesting to see if he's a re-energised Filho or if he's deteriorated more. I'd like to see Sonnen win. The winner will likely end up in the UFC as the WEC are dropping this division

Garcia vs Pulver should be good. Garcia had that great fight against Roger Huerta last year that put Huerta on the cover of Sports Illustrated. This is his first fight since being cleared of being involved in a massive cocaine smuggling/dealing operation. Pulver seems like a born-again fighter, I think that he'll take this

Frank Mir will probably be on commentary too, he always does a good job :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

What an idiot. It's not like they can strip him of the title if he ends up not being able to make weight, because they're getting rid of the division anyway

A lot of people said that the reason he looked so bad in the last fight with Sonnen was because he had to cut so much. So if he does end up making weight (two hours to cut seven pounds) that could end up giving Sonnen the advantage

I thought that the commissions wouldn't allow someone to cut that kind of weight in a short time though?

Jesus Filho needs to get his sh1t together. 7 pounds over just says "unprofessional".

Looking forward to this event otherwise, I always love watching Urijah fight. He's up there in my top 3 favourite fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

He was allowed two hours to make weight, he got down to 189 i think, he is ceding 25% of his purse to Chael. Sounds like he is not back to 100% since his release from rehab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

This is a non title fight now.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    This is a non title fight now.

Yep. 3 rounds, non title.

Disappointing. Paulo has a lot of work to do to get his reputation back. I like paulo and usually root for him but I'm not sure which side my hat will fall on tonight now after this.

I feel bad for Sonnen to be honest. Two chances at the belt, one ended in controversy and then he doesn't even get his last possible shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

looking forward to this card, any of the wec events ive seen have delivered some serious bang for your buck.

not overly familiar with most of the fighters on the card so got some googling and you tubeing to do today i think :pac:

Edit: are setanta showing this or will be have to go else where for it??

"A report on MMA Weekly indicates that Filho’s camp has made verbal assurances to Sonnen’s trainer Matt Lindland that they will make a symbolic gesture of presenting Sonnen with the belt should he be able to defeat Filho."

Only fair, considering WEC are folding the division

calex71 wrote: »
    are setanta showing this or will be have to go else where for it??

WEC have no tv deal over here (although I'd expect that to change sooner rather than later) so you'll have to go seeking it for yourself
    dunkamania wrote: »
    "A report on MMA Weekly indicates that Filho’s camp has made verbal assurances to Sonnen’s trainer Matt Lindland that they will make a symbolic gesture of presenting Sonnen with the belt should he be able to defeat Filho."

And what if he doesn't defeat Filho within the three rounds? We'll never know how a five round fight would have gone

It's disgraceful on Filho's part. If he's not recovered from what sent him to rehab then he should own up and not be fighting. If he's just trying to cut a load of weight then he needs to actually do it properly

I'll be behind Sonnen even more now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Are these events broadcast in ireland?

There is always the possibility that muscle maturity is going to start catching up to a lot of fighters. Muscle will generally become a bit more dense as you get older and maintain and push your body. You will look the same, more or less, but the difference could be a few pounds.

I would expect to see a lot of fighters who currently drain themselves dry to get to their weight class will have no choice but to move up.

The biggest prediction i can make is that by the end of 2009, early 2010 GSP will have no choice but to move up to Middleweight because he won't be able to make Welterweight any more.

Just spit balling here.:pac:

WEC not broadcast in Ireland

GSP moving up is no secret, his team have already said he has great difficulty in not increasing his muscle mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

WEC not broadcast in Ireland

You can see most of the fights here http://www.mma-core.com/videos/Videos.aspx?tid=0

Fckin gutted. That is all. :(

Great job by Brown, he stuck to his gameplan and caught Urijah a few times. He did look like the first few GNP shots hit the back of the head but the last ones were on the chin and no complaints. What was Urijah thinking with that elbow shot?

Filho dealt his first loss. He really didn't look very good doing so either. I don't think he's 100% at all to be honest. He looked completely disinterested.

my god filho shouldnt have bothered to even get in the cage.
    He looked like he didnt ever try to get in shape for the fight.

Was strange too, a couple of times Frank Mir was asked what Filho was looking at and who we was talking to he seemed really distracted at times.

would have loved to see Urijah's fight go on and see him open up but Brown did catch with a nice one square on the chin, had to watch it 3 times before i actually saw where it caught him :D because it looked at 1st like Urijah was just knocked over when he swung the back fist or elbow.

Good show, but not the best WEC show by a stretch. I wasn't surprised that Faber lost, I had heard a lot about Brown being dangerous. He looked in some pain himself at the end of the show

Filho was a real disgrace again. If he can't fight then he should pull out. I don't want to see him in the UFC unless he comes to fight

Looks like Garcia vs Brown for the title. Maybe a Pulver vs Faber rematch? That would be nice

So much for that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

just watched the 3 big fights.

Filho, did he even land a punch? Did he even get a successful takedown? But, he didn't really look like being finished. Not to take away from Chael's success and acheivement, but if he can't defeat a out-of-shape, with the birdies FIlho is he really championship material?

The two Kos in the other fights were devestating. Pulver exposed for lacking explosive power, Faber exposed for being too cocky.

Not to take away from Chael's success and acheivement, but if he can't defeat a out-of-shape, with the birdies FIlho is he really championship material?

In the third round Sonnen wasn't looking to finish Filho at all. He just wanted his win no matter what. There was barely any power in his punches. I think that if he'd actually gone for it then he could have knocked him out

Was just reading Sherdog there and the "Faber was exposed" frenzy has begun :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Could anyone explain what happened to Nisson in the fight before he got taken down. He seemed to be about to finish him, slipped and lost the head. Did the other guy catch him or something

From f4wonline.com:
    --The last word from UFC, and this is based on what they have been hearing but not official, is that Mike Brown suffered torn rib cartilage from a knee early in the fight with Urijah Faber last night.

--Do not expect to see Paulo Filho fighting in UFC or WEC for a long, long time. There was a lot of frustration last night that they couldn't get the Donald Cerrone vs. Razor Rob McCullough fight on the TV show. In hindsight, the best decision was the one to make Filho vs. Chael Sonnen three rounds instead of five. The situation as it occurred with the champion not making weight had never happened and UFC/WEC had no rules in place, but with the experience, there is at least a good chance rules will be put in where if a champion doesn't make weight and he loses the fight, that the challenger would get the title. They'd have to work out something regarding rounds, because if that was the case here, while Sonnen would have won the title, we'd have had to endure five rounds

Brown did look in a lot of pain after the fight

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Could anyone explain what happened to Nisson in the fight before he got taken down. He seemed to be about to finish him, slipped and lost the head. Did the other guy catch him or something

I just watched it again, Osterneck was definitely on top but both of them were very tired. When Osterneck slipped he didn't get hit. He just got taken down and mounted and he couldn't do anything

Fozzy wrote: »
    I just watched it again, Osterneck was definitely on top but both of them were very tired. When Osterneck slipped he didn't get hit. He just got taken down and mounted and he couldn't do anything

quite correct to have stopped it too, if it was herb dean in charge we would not have heard as many "are you ok's" and "improve your possition" warnings and if you aint see in frank mir said hit best "he's got him spread out matt hughes style" so roshalt had both hooks in and spread osterneck out while he had his back ref had no choice there he could not defend the shots. to be fair to nissen he did try and then got his back taken.

to answer the original question osterneck threw a spinning back fist and roshalt ducked and took him down , and only moments earlier osterneck slipped while thowing a left footed kick to the head showing to me anyway we was in some way gassed the speed the back fist was thrown proved it. To me also though had it not been for that and had it remaind standing he would have won for sure!!!!!

Advertisement