Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the craic like??

Options
  • 04-11-2008 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey guys hoping u could help me out. Im thinkin of applying here next year to do English,Media,& Cultural Studies. The course looks great. The campus looks small but i like the small class sizes. I'm just wondering though since its in Dun Laoghaire and a bit away from the Trinity/Ucd crowd. Whats the craic/going out life like at IADT?? i'd prob move down to dublin but im heading to IADT alone so like do like the college heads go out together or does everyone pretty much keep to themselves?? The SU website looks pretty dead so im worried!
    all opinions are wanted thanks a mill
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I recently graduated from IADT, last Wednesday to be exact and I would definitely recommend the college to anyone.

The college being so small means it's very personal, a lot of people from other courses are gathered and you get to know a lot of them and make a lot of friends and the lecturers were all pretty cool, at least in the Creative Technology side.

There are quite a few events in college, like most Thursdays there is something on in the chapel, which is the hang out area with a stage and sound system for bands. There are often comedy nights, film nights and Socs organise their own nights out if you join any.

Would definitely recommend the college if you're looking to do the course you mentioned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm in first year and adore the place! It takes me two buses and over an hour and a half to get there and back everyday but it's worth it. I've been out loads with my class on non-college related nights and have made some great friends. Don't mind the SU site, very few use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Thursday nites = The Chapel, then bakers, then town. The college does have a fairly vibrant social aspect even though i contribute fcuk all to it myself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I was at the opening day last Friday... I was rightly impressed! The Animation room was more than I ever expected, I'd even say I'm more inclined to do well in my LC now that I know what's in store.
    Also, Snooker+comfy couches+Wii= awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Ha, no way!

I just came online to post this exact thread!

Sounds good!

I was gna choose DIT for Photography cos its in town, but word is its a shiit buzz out there, actually, no buzz at all!

:D

Question: Is there ample parking down there?
    I dont wanna waste ages lookin for a spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Seems to be plenty of parking, yeah.

As a student you have to get a parking disc so you dont get clamped. Its free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Yeah you have to get a parking permit off the NCPS at the startof the year, which is generally a complete pain in the ass. I'm in my 4th year in IADT now and I have to say the parking issue is far better than it was like 3 years ago. Although I have to say it could be alot better... The college is great fun, but can be very cliche at times, this does depend on the individual though. If anyone has any other question just let me know...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

owlwink wrote: »
    I'm in my 4th year in IADT now and I have to say the parking issue is far better than it was like 3 years ago. Although I have to say it could be alot better... The college is great fun, but can be very cliche at times, this does depend on the individual though.
    Didn't they open up a new car park at the back of the college just before they closed the front car park?

...and yeah, the college is as fun as you make it really. Get involved and it pays off.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Didn't they open up a new car park at the back of the college just before they closed the front car park?

...and yeah, the college is as fun as you make it really. Get involved and it pays off.

yeah but that car park is only pay and display and for staff. I think it is really for people dropping off or collecting at the new primary school next door. If a student parks there even with an NCPS permit they will be clamped...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Yeah you have to get a parking permit off the NCPS at the startof the year, which is generally a complete pain in the ass. I'm in my 4th year in IADT now and I have to say the parking issue is far better than it was like 3 years ago. Although I have to say it could be alot better... The college is great fun, but can be very cliche at times, this does depend on the individual though. If anyone has any other question just let me know...:D

what do u mean it can be very 'cliche'???
    i know this is a strange question, but i couldn't make it to the open day (sick in bed with the flu-lovely) what type of people go there? like d4s,rockers,mature students,friendly people???? Sorry if this sounds all unimportant but i'll be going there alone and don't want to feel left out/intimidated!!

• Advertisement

naasface wrote: »
    what do u mean it can be very 'cliche'???
    i know this is a strange question, but i couldn't make it to the open day (sick in bed with the flu-lovely) what type of people go there? like d4s,rockers,mature students,friendly people???? Sorry if this sounds all unimportant but i'll be going there alone and don't want to feel left out/intimidated!!

There's a good mix with mostly nice people. It can depend on the course really, I'm in Fine Art and there are your typical arty people, some more computer-orientated people, some people more inclined towards loud angry music etc etc.

When it comes time to start whether you go to IADT or any college, get talking to your class, chances are most people don't anyone else and are in the same boat as you (was that way with me).

What course are you interested in by the way?

English,Media and Cultural Studies..

Owlwink might be able to help you there, he's in fourth year of that course.

Go on ...

Oh I suppose one thing that is worth while pointing out about EMCS is that it is alot more theory based than is let on. If you have no interest in literary theory/critical theory give it some strong thought. I really enjoyed it and do feel that it heightens your perspectives of interpreting varying mediums, but there is a strong focus on feminism that seems to drift about the whole course, which at times is tedious. If anyone has questions regarding this type of stuff just let me know...

Oh wow thanks owlwink this is really helpful.. yeah i thought that this course would be less "heavy" than taking pure English because of the media & cultural aspect I'm not hugely interested in the media/technical side of things but would like the cultural studies I think. Would you say it is split in 3 or is it more English focused and less of the media and cultural studies? Thanks again, this is really helpful :)

Oh wow thanks owlwink this is really helpful.. yeah i thought that this course would be less "heavy" than taking pure English because of the media & cultural aspect I'm not hugely interested in the media/technical side of things but would like the cultural studies I think. Would you say it is split in 3 or is it more English focused and less of the media and cultural studies? Thanks again, this is really helpful :)

I think they are constantly trying to keep a balance between the thre, but it definitely focuses alot more on cultural theory. This finds itself intertwining withthe other aspects and inthe process allowing for new ways in perceiving both English and Media. One thing to noteis that they the admin of the college evaluate the course every year and it is in a state of constant transformation, which I think is a very positive thing as everythingis constantly in motion and always changing, thus a course should work in tune with this to make itself worthwhile...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KingBot

Hey, I'm the ENTS officer in the college this year and the nights out have been great craic. I came to this college on my lonesome and now know loads of people so don't be worrying about anything like that. Hope to see you next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bev

I think they are constantly trying to keep a balance between the thre, but it definitely focuses alot more on cultural theory. This finds itself intertwining withthe other aspects and inthe process allowing for new ways in perceiving both English and Media. One thing to noteis that they the admin of the college evaluate the course every year and it is in a state of constant transformation, which I think is a very positive thing as everythingis constantly in motion and always changing, thus a course should work in tune with this to make itself worthwhile...

I'm also considering that course, only bit I'm unsure about it the 'cultural studies' part.. what does that involve?

Advertisement