Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way to improve wireless range (netopia)

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an eircom netopia 2247 which I have been using for last 2 years as bb modem connected to dell pc by ethernet/usb hookup. Got my first wireless device this week an iTouch and got it connected after a little bit of rtfm etc. Discovered had wireless set-up, probably did it at initial set-up two years ago.
    My problem is... the range of wireless is not great, have old house with thick walls but cannot get connection upstairs (Modem is downstairs) or even 20ft away in different room. Is there anything I can do to improve the range, would a different modem give a better range?
    I'm a kind of computer illiterate who can read ;-) so easy on the jargon pls! but many thanks in advance for your help.
    Ciara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

is this http://www.netopia.com/equipment/images/npp/photos/2247back.gif your router?

The 2 aerials are detachable, so in theory you could get higher gain aerials which "may" improve your signal. You could also try relocating the router for better signal if you have a longish phone cable.

Wireless is great when it works, but can be very finicky at the same time. Try relocating it first as this costs you nothing. Then try the aerial upgrade. You require reverse sma type.

Other options include a booster if you experience weak signal in a particluar part of the house. It basically picks up your router wireless signal and retransmits it in the vicinity of the booster. These can be quite pricey though and tricky to setup.

You could also purchase a wireless router (keeping your netopia as a modem though) with more wireless "ummphh".

Cordless house phones, microwave ovens, wireless video senders and many other wireless AND non-wireless devices can give off interference which affects wireless signals. You could also try changing the signal as it may be competing with a neighbours wireless.

Advertisement