Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Circuit RIP

• 05-11-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear the ring circuit is to be removed as a form of final circuit in the fourth edition?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Anyone hear the ring circuit is to be removed as a form of final circuit in the fourth edition?

I wouldn't be surprised, they are unique to ireland and england...

The problem is if there's a break in the ring, it will still continue to function, except now the respective half's of the ring will not be correctly protected by the MCB... The theory is good, makes efficient use of copper...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I wouldn't be surprised, they are unique to ireland and england...

The problem is if there's a break in the ring, it will still continue to function, except now the respective half's of the ring will not be correctly protected by the MCB... The theory is good, makes efficient use of copper...

Is that because the rating of the MCB is too high for the reduced current handling ability of the wire?

Is that because the rating of the MCB is too high for the reduced current handling ability of the wire?

Yea when connected in a ring circuit the cross sectional area of the cable is effectively doubled (more or less)... so instead of a 2.5sq cable you have a 5sq cable....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

would be a shame if true i hardly use any radials

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Ring circuits are no longer allowed in kitchens as of 1 Sep this year.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this the other day when i was out walking...

Where was the cost saving in using a ring circuit? All i could come up with was that it was saving 1 MCB, which is about €4 these days...

I guess it gave flexibility to the end user as the 30A load could be on any part of the ring, eg the first 3 sockets could take 10A each and still be ok....

We used them in all the new builds split them into 2 radials where a cable gets damaged .in the larger houses in rural areas theyd be a help with the voltage drop and save on cable and time

The change in kitchens is being enforced from next september by reci.no change elsewhere yet .what about the rcbos for bathroom circuits and new height for fuseboards has that come in now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What, specifically, are the key changes with regard to rings in the fourth edition of the wiring rules?

There are major changes to RCD requirements too from what I gather they've been extended to all circuits.

Solair wrote: »
    What, specifically, are the key changes with regard to rings in the fourth edition of the wiring rules?

There are major changes to RCD requirements too from what I gather they've been extended to all circuits.
    No rings in kitchens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

DublinDilbert:
    Where was the cost saving in using a ring circuit? All i could come up with was that it was saving 1 MCB, which is about €4 these days...

For the "sparks" that wired my house there was alot more than €4 to saved. He had 1 ring circuit for upstairs and 1 for down stairs, i.e. 2 socket circuits in total for a 4 bed house!! The RECI inspector insisted that this was fine, "any amout of sockets within 100 square meters is ok".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

fishdog wrote: »
    DublinDilbert:

For the "sparks" that wired my house there was alot more than €4 to saved. He had 1 ring circuit for upstairs and 1 for down stairs, i.e. 2 socket circuits in total for a 4 bed house!! The RECI inspector insisted that this was fine, "any amout of sockets within 100 square meters is ok".

It is fine,as far as what the rules state,wouldn't do it myself mind.Either way as stated above he should have at least run in a separate radial for the kitchen as rings are now banned.

fishdog wrote: »
    For the "sparks" that wired my house there was alot more than €4 to saved. He had 1 ring circuit for upstairs and 1 for down stairs, i.e. 2 socket circuits in total for a 4 bed house!!

So with 2 extra MCBs he could of split the ring circuits and had 4 radial circuits, with exactly the same amount of cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

So with 2 extra MCBs he could of split the ring circuits and had 4 radial circuits, with exactly the same amount of cable.

Well, slightly less cable (the link between two sockets is removed)

Well, slightly less cable (the link between two sockets is removed)

Yea i thought of that... But when splitting into radials you might just want to arrange things slightly differently, like for example putting the utility room on the radial circuit which feeds the hall, dinning & sitting room, to split the load etc... So i'd say its much of a much...

Here's a question, when you wire a ring circuit is there any requirement to bell the ends of the ring at the board, before connecting them, to make sure you have a complete ring circuit??

Here's a question, when you wire a ring circuit is there any requirement to bell the ends of the ring at the board, before connecting them, to make sure you have a complete ring circuit??

of course you test 'ring continuity'.its a good idea to switch off each ring mcb individually and make sure the top of the mcbs are not live after switch on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

DublinDilbert
    No. Because he would not be allowed to have just 2 radials for downstairs and 2 for upstaris for the following reasons:
    1) A radial circuit can not be used in more than 2 rooms (a hall is not counted as a room)
    2) If radials are used in the kitchen must have a minimum of 2 and they can not be used for other rooms.
    3) A radial can not have more than 10 twin sockets on it

Where as a ring can have any number of sockets spanning any number of rooms within 100 square meters. This would mean my house would have required a minimum of 4 radial sockets for downstairs and 2 for upstairs. This would have been 6 MCBs (instead of 2) and a bit of extra cable.

I know your point is that little was saved, which is true. That is what pi$$ed me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭enmac

some light reading for anyone interested..

Advertisement