Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase or Atlantic Paint

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I want to get some cheap magnolia paint for the house..I know that Homebase and Atlantic do their own brand in Magnolia but not sure which one to buy..Homebase have 25litres for around €16..not bad but i'm thinking would this be any good or would it just be worth it to spend more on an expensive paint like crown or Dulux..there is alot of coverage so need to be careful..Is Homebase beter than Atlantic magnolia brand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd be very wary about paint that cheap (25l for €16 works out at 0.64 per litre, cheaper than milk?). The biggest cost in painting is labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I used homebase bathroom paints with no problem in my house. I can't remember how it worked out pricewise - I know it was cheaper than your regular brand names, but I chose it based on the colours available at the time....typical woman ;) It's up three years now and lasting as well as the other brand name paints.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I would listen to jack of all,

The paint is cheaper than milk and probably has the same consistency as it aswell. Cheap paints only extend the job cause the pigment in them will not cover the walls sufficiently thereby causing you 2 things. 1 to buy more of it, and 2 your painter will charge you more for being there. It fades very quickly aswell and discolours. Stick with the big brands crown dulux fleetwood,etc etc you pay more but get a very good lasting finish. To coin a phrase "they do exactly what it says on the tin".

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

25 lts for 16 quid? Typo methinks...more like 2.5lt for 16 quid

Anyways, own brand paints...avoid at all costs IMO. Pay the extra, stop trying to cut corners on materials...hte biggest cost of any paint job is the labour, whther you're paying someone else to do it or doing it yourself. Any product that saves you time, extra work or makes things easier for you is worth paying that little extra for....find the savings someplace else.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭slick

Yea got mixed up there it was €16 for 10litres in Homebase..they had none in stock in 10 litres in Santry so i went off to Woodies in Finglas and got 2 x 10 litres of magnolia for €14.99 each there is a sale on there,so 20 litres for under €30 which wasn't bad,chap said in the shop fleetwood make it for them so i bought it..And used it today it covers very well as i'm going over magnolia on the wall!
    Done the trick anyway ! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement