Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dead Battery

Options
  • 05-11-2008 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

my gf went to her car yesterday and it wouldn't start, the battery was dead, so the AA came and jumpstarted it.

She drove from Dublin to Drogheda, and the car died again and needed a push start.

Couple of questions.

how much is a new battery?

are they easy to fit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You should try getting the battery health checked first, most places will do this for free. I know for my car (a 2000 BMW) it takes 8 hours of driving to recharge the battery from empty. You can also get the battery charged at most garages.

A new battery is in the region of €60-€150 depending on the battery. Piece of cake to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Depends on what car it is. Some are easy some are not so easy but if your mechanically minded you shouldn't have a problem. Remember to take the black(-) off first then the red(+) and when your putting back in the new one put the red(+) on first then the black(-);)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Thanks for all the advice. my brother is going to replace it for me but i have to buy the battery itself, as he is on a motorbike.

Right so the question is, who do i know what battery to buy. is there serial numbers on the battery or has it to do with the make and model of the car?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Go to a local tyre centre and buy one from there, they will fit it for you if your not sure.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Go to a local tyre centre and buy one from there, they will fit it for you if your not sure.

cant do that, the car is completely dead, would have to get it towed. I have someone to it in but need to buy the battery myself. So any idea how i know what battery to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The best thing to do is take the old battery out, get someone to give you a lift to your local motor factors (check in yellow pages for nearest one). Bring the old one with you for two reasons - the motor factor will have facilities for recycling it, and you are sure of getting the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If you go into Halfords, they've little books with every car manufacturer, just find your year and your model and it'll tell you which battery you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

cant do that, the car is completely dead, would have to get it towed. I have someone to it in but need to buy the battery myself. So any idea how i know what battery to buy

Forgot about the car being dead. :o

Savman wrote: »
    If you go into Halfords, they've little books with every car manufacturer, just find your year and your model and it'll tell you which battery you need.

thank, i think i will just do that even though i hate giving them my money, they are sooooo expensive and dont take ulster bank laser cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

tell me what car it is and I will tell you the battery you need and a price.

• Advertisement

tell me what car it is and I will tell you the battery you need and a price.

thanks old man, have just been on to halfords and they have one in stock for my car and it is going to cost €129.99.

the car is a daewoo lanos

That seems very expensive - you will get much better value in a Motor Factors, where are you located?

Pete67 wrote: »
    That seems very expensive - you will get much better value in a Motor Factors, where are you located?

Finglas

Try ringing around these guys and see what you get:

Finglas Auto Parts
    St Margarets Rd Finglas D 11
    (1850)882299

Tallaght Auto Parts
    St Margarets Rd Finglas D 11
    (01)8140080

Consort Motor Parts
    Finglas 11 Co. Dublin
    (01)8347065

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jimbo19162

try consort 01 8347065 might be cheaper that sounds really expensive for a lanos battery they on ballygall road finglas

jaysis, i phone that finglas auto place and they have one for €70.00, thats a huge difference

i am really not too sure where exactly they are but getting to them could be a big problem and they close at 6pm

Ring and ask for directions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yea the guys in finglas auto parts are sound, i go there for most things....

They are based just off the north road, beside where lidl/aldi are. They are actually looking directly at the side of Aldi, beside the peanut factory :D

€70 sounds about right... big difference from halfords...

Advertisement