Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBAMA WINS !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Ludo wrote: »
    Thats what Rove thought 4 years ago also. It will go back rep after 4 or 8 years of a dem in the WH max.
    Maybe he did but Bush's first nor second term was a mandate.
    He squeeked by with help from the Supreme Court the first time, and the 2nd time wasn't much better.
    Obama has won unambigiously, hugely in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

stayed up to watch this last night. funniest moment of the night was Gore Vidal acting crazy on BBC.

Thanks be to Jeebus, America has finally restored my faith in humanity.
    I was as anti-American as they come for the past 8 years but I really think the dark days are over now.

Now they just need to knock the growth of the New Christian Right on the head and all will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just out of the pit after a marathon effort until 7.30am. Off to get a newspaper, I wonder did they take a punt and run with Obama as winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kiersie

Congratulations to Obama!

It may be cynical of me but I'm reading these posts, noting a heavy use of the word 'change' and 'progress'. People are congratulating the Americans on how far they have come, voting a black man as their leader.

There was 3 separate ballots in Arizona, California and Florida asking the public if there should be a ban on Gay marraige, effectively banning a basic human right to 10% of the poopulation in these states.
    There was also a ballot in Arkansas asking the electorate if they should ban gay couple adoption rights.

All four ballots have been rejected.

Has much really changed in the land of the free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Maybe this has been discussed to death already but is there a particular reason that this vote on gay marriage was framed in such a way?. ie asking if there should be a ban on gay marriage. Is that not a recipe for voter confusion seeing as I thought it was illegal in most states anyway. Surely a lot of people would think to themselves, reading the ballot," I must be reading this wrong, How can they ask me do I want to ban something that is already banned" and thus thought the question was to legalise gay marriage and so voted yes, when in fact they ended up voting to ban it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ffs, heard his speech on the radio this morning and got the shivers

Watched it again here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jll5baCAaQU

...and got the shivers again :o He's quite the orator! Let's hope he's more than that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

To anyone who'd ever say public speaking doesnt make a man, i'd point to that to be honest. Its amazing how much easier it is to get a message across when you can speak like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

anyone heard anything from sarah palin about the result?

I want to know if she will be as gracious as McCain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    anyone heard anything from sarah palin about the result?

I want to know if she will be as gracious as McCain

She has returned to Alaska, the hubby starts back at the job tomorrow according to reports.

How things can change so much in the space of a few hours.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Kiersie wrote: »
    Congratulations to Obama!

It may be cynical of me but I'm reading these posts, noting a heavy use of the word 'change' and 'progress'. People are congratulating the Americans on how far they have come, voting a black man as their leader.

There was 3 separate ballots in Arizona, California and Florida asking the public if there should be a ban on Gay marraige, effectively banning a basic human right to 10% of the poopulation in these states.
    There was also a ballot in Arkansas asking the electorate if they should ban gay couple adoption rights.

All four ballots have been rejected.

Has much really changed in the land of the free?

Yeah, sickner for the gays. But hey, that's democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

California has banned same sex marriage <look up Marriage it is between and man and a woman and can never happen for Homosexuals. In a world gone mad with liberalism I am glad to see there is still some shred of sanity left and I am certain that the California liberals were so swept of their feet by Obama that they overlooked this lol! :) Gay Marriage is not a human right also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

mumhaabu wrote: »
    California has banned same sex marriage <look up Marriage it is between and man and a woman and can never happen for Homosexuals. In a world gone mad with liberalism I am glad to see there is still some shred of sanity left and I am certain that the California liberals were so swept of their feet by Obama that they overlooked this lol! :) Gay Marriage is not a human right also.

What the f*ck has it got to do with you if 2 people of the same sex get married?

Kold wrote: »
    What the f*ck has it got to do with you if 2 people of the same sex get married?

Meh, it's his view and that's all that matters when someone votes. Let everyone vote and let every vote count remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

His view is that it's common sense that we should ban certain people from doing something that most others can. Common sense? Doesn't really compute for me and I'm pretty intelligent. I'm just wondering what I'm missing here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Mumhaabu,

You certainly would scare me if you were my supporter as a politician..... :eek:

I would be looking over my shoulder and for rustles in hedgerows by the full moon (look that up ..)

I have a view on gays - a biblical one- but the bible says that God prefers the man that is good, rather than the man that is righteous.

I would never bash gays, or deny them civil liberties. At the end of the (judgment) day there is a big entity called "God" who will judge.

Also - you need to get obama's facts right on his opinion on gays unions - to quote - "Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Daily Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."

Barack Obama did vote against a Federal Marriage Amendment and opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996.

He said he would support civil unions between gay and lesbian couples, as well as letting individual states determine if marriage between gay and lesbian couples should be legalized.

"Giving them a set of basic rights would allow them to experience their relationship and live their lives in a way that doesn't cause discrimination," Obama said. "I think it is the right balance to strike in this society."

Sheesh - I think you should (a) get a life (b) get some facts right (c) shave off your mullet (d) get a role model or a hug or something - your views are certainly not Christian.

p.s. and my kitties are ticked off with you too. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Strange comment, but I guess you are just a bit of a bad loser. I am glad to see there is still some shread of sanity left in America and they did not vote in McCain and Palin - a continuation of George W. Bush.

People who are racist and make stupid accusations (you know, like saying Obama is Osama Bin Laden) should be banned. Its not a human right either.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

im so glad Obama won:) fair play to Mc Cain thought, i never did like him but even thought he lost he wasn't grumbling about it in his speech. he held his head high and wished Obama well. the crowd were well pissed of though!!!

and once he refared to America as the "greatest country on earth" very republican thing to say....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Marriage it is between and man and a woman and can never happen for Homosexuals.
    Yes it can. And it will. And I will be so happy when that day comes - for one, because it will be wonderful for my gay friends, but mainly because it will absolutely KILL right-wing nut jobs. :)
    In a world gone mad with liberalism
    You obviously aren't acquainted with most of America.

And to echo Kold, what difference does it make to you if two people of the same gender marry? Seriously, what is your problem with it? Please, do tell.

Kold wrote: »
    His view is that it's common sense that we should ban certain people from doing something that most others can. Common sense? Doesn't really compute for me and I'm pretty intelligent. I'm just wondering what I'm missing here tbh.

Yeah I'm pretty intelligent too, but it doesn't matter why he believes what he does, he believes it and that's it. Just because you hold a view doesn't make it right. And if the majority of people vote one way then that's what has to be followed.

I don't want to start a whole thing with this, but I love how people are already claiming that the question was framed confusingly. I thought only right-wing nut-jobs were bad losers;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sully wrote: »
    I am glad to see there is still some shread of sanity left in America and they did not vote in McCain and Palin
    With the emphasis on Palin. McCain, when not pandering to the hardliners, is all right IMO.
    Imagine if he got in though and took ill from old age/'Nam flashbacks and she was left to run the show...?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

eek!:eek:

That would really mess up my (already fragile) sleep patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Has anyone got a link to a video of his entire acceptance speech from yesterday? I've searched on Youtube and it seems to be broken up into sections? Anyone got a link to the speech in one entire video?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

I thought the southern states of Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia & Mississippi were predominately black.
    How did Obama not win any of them?
    No state has a majority black population. I think DC does though. After that the highest is Mississippi with 37%.

EDIT: I may be wrong on the DC bit, can't find a source on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

amacachi wrote: »
    No state has a majority black population. I think DC does though.

nice...

passive wrote: »
    nice...

Excuse me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not wanting to start a new thread, but any observations on this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEAYgm0Dv8

It's from a Finnish documentary, hence the funny language at the beginning, but I'm not entirely sure the teacher is entirely playing the neutral facilitator of discussion here.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TEH REAL CDP

Not wanting to start a new thread, but any observations on this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDEAYgm0Dv8

It's from a Finnish documentary, hence the funny language at the beginning, but I'm not entirely sure the teacher is entirely playing the neutral facilitator of discussion here.

NTM

Definitely not neutral.

She was quite horrible to that little girl with respect to the comments about her father and the military. That's not on. Teacher's should facilitate... she implanted a nasty seed in her mind. As well as that, it was in front of the other kids... definitely not neutral.

Advertisement