Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebricks in Stove?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Howdy!

Got an old stove for the workshop, just something to burn offcuts and such to prevent me freezing to death :p. Its an 'aarrow' stove, an 'astra' to be exact.

She's in need of a bit of a clean down with a wire brush and a re-paint. Anyway, to the point, the stove came with the firebricks loose, one of them being cracked in half. I'm just wondering how exactly are or were the bricks secured in place? There is a ledge around the inside (sides and back)that they can simply 'sit' on, but its not very secure, they could fall over. There doesnt appear to be any brackets or such to hold them in place!

So how would they have been held in place and how would I go about securing them?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Howdy!

Got an old stove for the workshop, just something to burn offcuts and such to prevent me freezing to death :p. Its an 'aarrow' stove, an 'astra' to be exact.

She's in need of a bit of a clean down with a wire brush and a re-paint. Anyway, to the point, the stove came with the firebricks loose, one of them being cracked in half. I'm just wondering how exactly are or were the bricks secured in place? There is a ledge around the inside (sides and back)that they can simply 'sit' on, but its not very secure, they could fall over. There doesnt appear to be any brackets or such to hold them in place!

So how would they have been held in place and how would I go about securing them?

Cheers ;)

don't know about your model but in my stove there is nothing really holding them but gravity.

Stoves are a heavy article and would never really be moved from there hearth. The bricks don't really need to be 100% secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

gsxr1 wrote: »
    don't know about your model but in my stove there is nothing really holding them but gravity.

Stoves are a heavy article and would never really be moved from there hearth. The bricks don't really need to be 100% secure.

Quick off the mark, cheers mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

A small bit of fire cement will retain the bricks in position if you're worried about them moving about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

A small bit of fire cement will retain the bricks in position if you're worried about them moving about.

good point. small tubs of fire cement paste costs under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

or replace them with strong thick steel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

old boy wrote: »
    or replace them with strong thick steel

Steel burns out very quickly in contact with burning wood and coal, cast iron is the next best option to fire bricks but fire bricks are always the best.

If you can't get the size of fire bricks to fit an old stove you can always cut them out of standard sized bricks with an angle grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Dineen Refractories make and stock firebricks for many stoves and ranges, they also make to order!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated! ;)

I found out the way the bricks go in, seems two of them however are broken in half, had a look at a couple of tubs of fire cement today and it said on the rear that it can be used to repair fire bricks. So that should do the trick then?

Advertisement