Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

About driving "habits" and regulations...

Options
  • 05-11-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I started driving in this country some time ago, but now I noticed many things that "stimulated my curiosity", maybe somebody can enligthen me. I hope I will not start any flame, it's just that I simply don't get it...

- How comes that the average parking distance from the front and/or rear car is 2 meters (sometimes more :eek:)? It's a waste of space, and shows no consideration for other people. I'm not talking about an isolate case, I see it regularly everywhere. As fare as I know, if leave more than 50 cm during the exam you don't pass it! :confused:
    - Overtaking, in left-side driving countries, must be done on the right of the car you're passing, never on the left, unless of course the car in front of you is turning right. This, again as far as I know, applies to motorways also: if you're on the right lane and somebody faster than you is approaching, you simply move to the left and let him/her pass. However, if you're coming from behind and the car in front of you is not letting you pass, you cannot simply dash left and pass it anyway!
    Even worse, motorbikes are not allowed to speed through two cars "just because they are small enough". :mad:
    Drivers cannot expect to be passed from anywhere, so they pay attention to their right only, passing on the left would mean "kiss your licence goodbye"!
    - Is there a reason why many cars are parked with the shift in the "Neutral" position? Again, I always knew that you must leave the 1st gear in if parking on a flat surface or facing uphill, and the reverse gear if you park downhill. This can be considered a minor issue, compared to the previous ones, but handbrake alone cannot be 100% trusted, it would not be the first time that it fails...

Also, I'd like to ask your opinion about some "creative interpretation" of road regulations by Bray town council: I almost risked to be clamped because I parked in a zone where a sign clearly stated "2 hours disc parking". I put my disc, but a person living in the area warned me that, even if the sign says so, the area is not disc parking, but "pay and display" parking. In fact, there's a ticket machine in the area, but I didn't notice it. I asked him the reason of this discrepancy, and he told me that the area became a pay parking TWO YEARS AGO! :eek:
    Again, as far as I know, as a driver I must pay attention to signs ONLY, not to the mere presence of a parking machine. If the signs says free or disc parking, it's free/disc parking! Incredibly enough, EVERY disc parking area in the town has now a ticket machine, but the old signs are still there. Pure laziness, lack of "spending will", or "trick" to cheat on foreigners? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

can-o-worms_copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

your ideas intrigue me - and i would like to subscribe to your news letter :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

daigo75 wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to ask your opinion about some "creative interpretation" of road regulations by Bray town council: I almost risked to be clamped because I parked in a zone where a sign clearly stated "2 hours disc parking". I put my disc, but a person living in the area warned me that, even if the sign says so, the area is not disc parking, but "pay and display" parking. In fact, there's a ticket machine in the area, but I didn't notice it. I asked him the reason of this discrepancy, and he told me that the area became a pay parking TWO YEARS AGO! :eek:
    Again, as far as I know, as a driver I must pay attention to signs ONLY, not to the mere presence of a parking machine. If the signs says free or disc parking, it's free/disc parking! Incredibly enough, EVERY disc parking area in the town has now a ticket machine, but the old signs are still there. Pure laziness, lack of "spending will", or "trick" to cheat on foreigners? :confused:

I guess you're from a European country where they actually have proper parking discs with a rotating wheel that you put on your dashboard indicating the time you arrived at, and that you can park free for up to the time posted on the sign? I came here after 20 years in Germany and the Netherlands, and thought exactly the same thing, I must say.

If so, you're in for a shock. As far as I know, that European system has never actually been used in Ireland. What Bray used to mean by 'disc parking' was actually a kind of pre-paid 'scratch card' you could buy from shops in Bray, and you scratched off one circular area and wrote the date and time in it (at least that's the way I think it worked, I never actually used one).

Now they've abandoned this system, and have gone over to 'normal' tickets, but the Disc parking signs are still all over the place, including at all entry points into Bray. I mentioned it once to the parking warden that foreign visitors might find it confusing (understatement!) but he obviously hadn't got a clue as to what I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

- Is there a reason why many cars are parked with the shift in the "Neutral" position? Again, I always knew that you must leave the 1st gear in if parking on a flat surface or facing uphill, and the reverse gear if you park downhill. This can be considered a minor issue, compared to the previous ones, but handbrake alone cannot be 100% trusted, it would not be the first time that it fails...

Every Irish person I know parks with the car in gear.

My girlfriend's French and parks with the car in neutral whihc she says is the way they are thought in France. I think its bizzare and she has often gotten into the car after I've parked to start it and have it lurch forward because she didn't put her foot on the clutch.

So basically you are talking nonscense and making sweeping unsubstantiated generalisations - but seeing as that is the norm around here bring it on you foreign job stealing theiving twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

enda1 wrote: »
    twat!
    Isn't that an english slang word :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Every Irish person I know parks with the car in gear.

My girlfriend's French and parks with the car in neutral whihc she says is the way they are thought in France. I think its bizzare and she has often gotten into the car after I've parked to start it and have it lurch forward because she didn't put her foot on the clutch.

So basically you are talking nonscense and making sweeping unsubstantiated generalisations - but seeing as that is the norm around here bring it on you foreign job stealing theiving twat!

Objection: you state "Every Irish person I know parks with the car in gear", which is as relative as my statement. I noticed the "parked in neutral" issue since two years and, even if not 100% of the cars are parked like that, I guarantee that a good 80% of them is. Therefore, my alleged "nonsense" has the same value as yours.

I just spoke to a colleague, and he told me that actually they taught him to leave the shift in neutral position when the car is parked on a flat surface. At least now I found an explanation. :rolleyes:

As a final (yet off topic) consideration, I'd like to give my "appreciation" for your racist comment. You stated that your girlfriend is French, and I presume she works here in Ireland. Is this enough for you to qualify her as a "foreign job stealer" as well? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It was a joke sheesh...

I am also an imigrant living in a foreign country where they really REALLY can't drive - also I'm stealing their jobs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

It was a joke sheesh...

I am also an imigrant living in a foreign country where they really REALLY can't drive - also I'm stealing their jobs!!

You're in Ireland then? :D

The standard of driving here is simply appalling.

It was a joke sheesh...

Now I get it. It was not so clear, from your post... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How do you know whether cars are parked in gear or not? Do you go around looking into parked cars to see if they are in neutral?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I also learned drivin' someplace else and also think that Irish driver's skills are sub-standard compared to continental Europe. But I guess I'd find something to complain about in other people's standard of driving regardless of where I'd live. It can be difficult sometimes when you are so much better than everybody else...:D

Anyway

Never heard that leaving your car parked in N or whatever was officially regulated. Rather a recommendation I thought. Driving an automatic myself no ambiguities there...

Also the undertaking thing... One shouldnt be doing it but sometimes I get annoyed myself with right lane hoggers and just do it. I can't say I see people doing it 'all the time' tho.

Also I can't say that parking is particularly bad.

There are issues with the standard of drivin on Irish roads, but I wouldnt regard the things you mentioned as outstanding.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How do you know whether cars are parked in gear or not? Do you go around looking into parked cars to see if they are in neutral?

Good question. I'm not going around looking into parked cars. I had to walk daily on a footpath literally "invaded" by cars, and I kept an eye on them to avoid scratching or hitting them (the space left was barely enough for one person, no footpath on the other side). One day I just noticed that all of them were left in neutral, and it made me curious.

realcam wrote: »
    Never heard that leaving your car parked in N or whatever was officially regulated. Rather a recommendation I thought. Driving an automatic myself no ambiguities there...

Also the undertaking thing... One shouldnt be doing it but sometimes I get annoyed myself with right lane hoggers and just do it. I can't say I see people doing it 'all the time' tho.

Also I can't say that parking is particularly bad.

There are issues with the standard of drivin on Irish roads, but I wouldnt regard the things you mentioned as outstanding.

In fact, I agree with you. Except for the dangerous overtaking, these are minor issues, I saw even worse in other countries (nobody is perfect). I was just curious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

The Irish rules of the road state that you must park in gear (1st or reverse). Also you may not overtake on the left. However, parking and driving on dual carriageways is not tested in the Irish driving test (also there is no emergency stop test). This is because the Irish driving test is of a very low standard and until recently, doing the test was optional. You could drive your whole life without passing a test.

There is a tradition in Ireland of not parking too close to your neighbour. People are not very much in control of their vehicles so you wouldn't want them parked too close to you. The Irish rules of the road do not specify that you should park close to the neighbouring cars, just close to the kerb. When individual spaces are marked out by the roadside, there is usually a long gap (1m+) marked out between spaces.

The parking disk sign in Bray is the result of poor local government. If you got a parking ticket for this you might win in court - if you got a reasonable judge. If you care, then find the name of one of your local town councillors and ask them to fix the signs.

Although the standard of driving is low in Ireland and we have far more road deaths per capita than the UK or the Netherlands, many Irish people still blame foreigners for poor driving. Ireland is not the worst country in europe for driving standards.

crocro wrote: »
    The Irish rules of the road state that you must park in gear (1st or reverse).
    Indeed it does, but it's not a legal requirement as far as I am aware. The ROTR is a mixture of (often badly written) simplified interpretations of the relevant sections of the appropriate legislation, and recommendations / suggestions, and it isn't always clear (as opposed to the UK Highway code where they make a clear distinction between the two) which is which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I agree with most of your points raised, but the motorbike one - I've never seen anywhere in the world that bikes don't weave in and out of traffic and squeeze between cars. In fact, it's not as bad in Ireland as most places. Italy is the worst ever!

Biro wrote: »
    I agree with most of your points raised, but the motorbike one - I've never seen anywhere in the world that bikes don't weave in and out of traffic and squeeze between cars. In fact, it's not as bad in Ireland as most places. Italy is the worst ever!
    Only in Ireland though, do you see motorbikes "filtering" between two lanes of fast moving traffic on a motorway where both are going at or even above the legal limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Alun wrote: »
    Only in Ireland though, do you see motorbikes "filtering" between two lanes of fast moving traffic on a motorway where both are going at or even above the legal limit.

Oh no it isn't. Try going over to england - they do it there all the time.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Oh no it isn't. Try going over to england - they do it there all the time.
    "Try going over to England" ? I am English and go over there all the time, actually :)

Anyway, I've never seen it happen there to anywhere near the degree that I see it here (on the N11 / M11 in the mornings mainly) be honest.

I dont park in gear and never have. I was never thought to park in gear so I dont. I dont park on hills but should I ever I would engage my gear and point the wheels towards the kerb.

I have a bad habit of checking the handbrake every so often even after driving 100 miles. My mother also does it and I guessed I learned it from her. I dont know what I will do when I get a car with a handbrake button. I do the same thing with the elec windows. OCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It was a joke sheesh...

arrrgh ...now you tell me.

I've just infracted you for the initial remark :rolleyes:

I'll try and get it reversed, bear with me

Next time please mark your jokes with a smilie, ok

That's also true. Italy would deserve a special chapter by itself, when you move from a town to another you can sometimes feel like you are in a completely different world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

- Overtaking, in left-side driving countries, must be done on the right of the car you're passing, never on the left, unless of course the car in front of you is turning right.
    Never? That's more strict than in Ireland where it's permitted (by regulation) to pass on the inside of stopped or slow-moving traffic. That is, assuming it's safe to do so.
    I had to walk daily on a footpath literally "invaded" by cars
    Here, the law is more strict. Parking on the footpath is totally forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As fare as I know, if leave more than 50 cm during the exam you don't pass it! :confused:
    Formally parking your vehicle does not form part of the driving test here!
    I just noticed that all of them were left in neutral, and it made me curious.
    How can you tell? Many cars which are in gear may look like they are in neutral. It's often difficult to know without physically checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Italy is the worst ever!
    I take it you have never been to India? :eek:

I take it you have never been to India? :eek:

Ah now wishbone. They are not really motorbikes over there.

Have you not seen Clarksons motor world?

And I have been to India. I would still hate Italy more than any other place. Lots of cars and bikes but never any place to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I would still hate Italy more than any other place.

I hope you mean that you dislike driving in Italy. Only a barbarian could hate Italy.

Pakistan/India/Sri Lanka have a driving style which makes Italy look orderly, which it is by and large. But parking isn't always easy.

ardmacha wrote: »
    I hope you mean that you dislike driving in Italy. Only a barbarian could hate Italy.

Not at all. How could you hate a place with beautiful people with a language so diverse it keeps out the riff raff. Some much local wine and local food. At home your LUCKY if they make it for you that day and not blanch it days beforehand.

Ryanair get close enough to the Italian Riveria(or so the Italians say) of Rimini. They are quite normal drivers around the North.

It was when I was down by Amalfi and Sorrento/Naples that I was shocked or more frightened. I had a go but brought the rental car back early.

I was driving a Maseratti in Rimini. I doubt it would have fit on the roads in Sorrento area. It would have looked cool arriving into Positano with that for the wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all,
    I started driving in this country some time ago, but now I noticed many things that "stimulated my curiosity", maybe somebody can enligthen me. I hope I will not start any flame, it's just that I simply don't get it...

- How comes that the average parking distance from the front and/or rear car is 2 meters (sometimes more :eek:)? It's a waste of space, and shows no consideration for other people. I'm not talking about an isolate case, I see it regularly everywhere. As fare as I know, if leave more than 50 cm during the exam you don't pass it! :confused:
    - Overtaking, in left-side driving countries, must be done on the right of the car you're passing, never on the left, unless of course the car in front of you is turning right. This, again as far as I know, applies to motorways also: if you're on the right lane and somebody faster than you is approaching, you simply move to the left and let him/her pass. However, if you're coming from behind and the car in front of you is not letting you pass, you cannot simply dash left and pass it anyway!
    Even worse, motorbikes are not allowed to speed through two cars "just because they are small enough". :mad:
    Drivers cannot expect to be passed from anywhere, so they pay attention to their right only, passing on the left would mean "kiss your licence goodbye"!

I disagree, i was on the A57 yesterday in Germany and witnessed some of the Worst driving ever. Cars travelling at 160km/h and sitting 2 meters behind the car in front of them, changing lanes without indicating, breaking speed limits all over the place (cars were flying past me in the 80kp/h zone)
    Also when overtaking a car on the fast lane a car behind you would drive right up you ass trying to goad you into speeding up, even though you try to pull back into the fast lane once theres space.

Any the amount of people driving while on their phones without hands free was scary.

Europeans are just as bad as anyone.

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »

Europeans are just as bad as anyone.

I thought we were Europeans.

Advertisement