Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

And so it begins - Sallins railway carpark charges increased

• 05-11-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Up to recently (I am just back from a 10 day break from work so I don't know when it changed exactly), I had the option of paying either €2 a day or €5 a week for parking my car in Sallins train station car park (which used to be free but thats another story). So I went to the station Tuesday morning to pay my fiver for the week's car parking and it only gave me 2 1/2 days worth of car parking even though the sign said €2 per day or €5 per week. When I queried this with the ticket lady, she said the machine must be broken.

However, when I was going to the train this morning, the sign had been changed to state €2 per day or €8 per week. Its just €3 extra I hear the rich people saying but its €150 a year extra or €400 in total just for parking the car and thats before I pay €36 a week for the train ticket.

I did say when these parking charges were introduced that they would be upped time and again as a handy income for CIE. Lets face it, its handy money for nothing for them as there's feck all service for the car parking fee, not even security as cars are still being broken into.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Sorry to hear that PD. The sly little increases grind my gears :mad:

I live in the village myself and have a 5-6minute walk to the station. Believe or not i see 10-12 cars from my estate, parked in the station everyday :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did say when these parking charges were introduced that they would be upped time and again as a handy income for CIE. Lets face it, its handy money for nothing for them as there's feck all service for the car parking fee, not even security as cars are still being broken into.

As far as I'm aware CIE dont get they money. The get €1m as a result of who ever one the car park contract. Who ever runs the car park gets the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I know the guys who won the CIE contact. Dont know how the money is split exactly but I know it is split. expect it to rise significantly over the next few years. Can you cycle to the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

kmick wrote: »
    I know the guys who won the CIE contact. Dont know how the money is split exactly but I know it is split. expect it to rise significantly over the next few years. Can you cycle to the station?

Prosperous is a bit of a trek from Sallins and not the best road for cycling IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

CJackson wrote: »
    Prosperous is a bit of a trek from Sallins and not the best road for cycling IMO

Its about 7 miles from my house to the station. do-able in the bright mornings (lethal in the dark) but I'd be worried about my bike getting vandalised and then I'd have a nice long walk home. If cars are bring broken into in this "supervised" car park, then there's nothing to stop a few gurriers slashing tyres or taking the whole bike.

On another point, I can't believe that people who live in Sallins (and its a small compact little village) would be so damn lazy as to drive to the station.

Finally, whats with all the guff about leaving the car at home (while still paying tax, insurance etc on it or getting done for the new parking charge in the budget), taking public transport etc and then they screw you for as much money as possible. At this rate, it'd be cheaper for me to drive to work than pay €44 for a train and car parking ticket each week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Maybe there should be a toll an the n7 to make the train more attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

crocro wrote: »
    Maybe there should be a toll an the n7 to make the train more attractive.

That will punish people who are not travelling to the City Center. Just like the M3. I believe you will have to pay the toll twice on, even if you want to access the P&R and Pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Its about 7 miles from my house to the station. do-able in the bright mornings (lethal in the dark) but I'd be worried about my bike getting vandalised and then I'd have a nice long walk home. If cars are bring broken into in this "supervised" car park, then there's nothing to stop a few gurriers slashing tyres or taking the whole bike.

On another point, I can't believe that people who live in Sallins (and its a small compact little village) would be so damn lazy as to drive to the station.

Finally, whats with all the guff about leaving the car at home (while still paying tax, insurance etc on it or getting done for the new parking charge in the budget), taking public transport etc and then they screw you for as much money as possible. At this rate, it'd be cheaper for me to drive to work than pay €44 for a train and car parking ticket each week.

I hope you have a tax saver ticket if doing that 5 days a week. These are going up around 20% in the new year.

It is crazy that they are pushing up the cost of public transport if they want people to do it.

A parking space is cheaper in dublin city centre than Kildare. I have to travel 9 miles to get to Maynooth so I can get the train to work. Same prices there even though car park is there a long time. Same issue of car's been broken into.

Rumours are IR get 1 million and NCPS get 2 million a year.

http://www.railusers.ie/campaigns/carparking/

When did they introduce the car parking charges in Maynooth? Thats my alternative station to Sallins as it gets me to the city centre at a weekly price of €25 whereas Sallins costs €36 plus the car parking. I usually go to Sallins as its half the distance from my house and you're practically guaranteed parking unlike Maynooth that fills up very early and the local shops and housing estates are very vigilant about commuters parking their cars.

If anyone out there is hiring in Kildare, let me know as not paying for commuting alone would save me over €2,200 a year in after tax income. I won't buy a tax saver ticket as I have the long cherished dream of working close to where I live :rolleyes:, and I'd quit my commute into Dublin in a heartbeat if I have a half decent job close to home but wouldn't then get a rebate on the unused portion of the taxsaver ticket

When did they introduce the car parking charges in Maynooth? Thats my alternative station to Sallins as it gets me to the city centre at a weekly price of €25 whereas Sallins costs €36 plus the car parking. I usually go to Sallins as its half the distance from my house and you're practically guaranteed parking unlike Maynooth that fills up very early and the local shops and housing estates are very vigilant about commuters parking their cars.

If anyone out there is hiring in Kildare, let me know as not paying for commuting alone would save me over €2,200 a year in after tax income. I won't buy a tax saver ticket as I have the long cherished dream of working close to where I live :rolleyes:, and I'd quit my commute into Dublin in a heartbeat if I have a half decent job close to home but wouldn't then get a rebate on the unused portion of the taxsaver ticket

Last week.

try here for refunds.

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_ticket/annual_ticket_conditions.asp

You will easily get a spot in Maynooth now since pay parking came in.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    Last week.

try here for refunds.

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/your_ticket/annual_ticket_conditions.asp

You will easily get a spot in Maynooth now since pay parking came in.

Does it apply to the small carpark across the tracks from the ticket place? I used to park my car here as it was a much faster getaway in the evenings when the exit from the main car park could take up to 10 minutes to clear. However too many people copped on this this and that car park would be full by 6.45am.

Where is everyone parking nowadays in Maynooth? The local estates introduced clamping to get rid of commuter's cars and so have the shopping centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 covert

A parking space is cheaper in dublin city centre than Kildare. .....
    Rumours are IR get 1 million and NCPS get 2 million a year.

Really - €2 a day or €8 a week in Kildare is more expensive than Dublin city centre???? That's nonsense.

As for the split from the car parks, CIE said to the Oireachtas committee that more goes on VAT than to the contractor. So, 20% at most goes to the contractor.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=TRJ20080924.xml&Node=H3&Page=4

covert wrote: »
    Really - €2 a day or €8 a week in Kildare is more expensive than Dublin city centre???? That's nonsense.

As for the split from the car parks, CIE said to the Oireachtas committee that more goes on VAT than to the contractor. So, 20% at most goes to the contractor.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=TRJ20080924.xml&Node=H3&Page=4

Sorry I meant to add that is in the Government eyes. Since the €200 tax on car parking spaces.

Does it apply to the small carpark across the tracks from the ticket place? I used to park my car here as it was a much faster getaway in the evenings when the exit from the main car park could take up to 10 minutes to clear. However too many people copped on this this and that car park would be full by 6.45am.

Where is everyone parking nowadays in Maynooth? The local estates introduced clamping to get rid of commuter's cars and so have the shopping centres.

Not sure about that side. Sure most of the locals are now walking instead of driving.

Newtown Inn offers free parking. 5-10 min walk.

Estates have to be private estates to bring in clamping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Not sure about out Maynooth way, but Dublin City Council will introduce permits / pay and display / clamping in public estates if enough of the residents request it.
    Usually for the same reasons mentioned above (commuters parking outside their houses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It doesn't - meaning that car park is fuller faster.

The main bulk of that car park is closed off, and has been since the 'new' station opened in, um, 1999 was it? Ridiculous situation but thats the way it is...

Not sure about that side. Sure most of the locals are now walking instead of driving.

Newtown Inn offers free parking. 5-10 min walk.

Tell that to the estate next door to the station, Silken Vale I think its called. We used to park our car there on the access road into the estate. This road is good and wide, it does not front onto any houses and none of the residents in this estate could see the cars from their houses. However, this didn't stop the local busybodies from berating the 7 or 8 car owners who parked their cars in this estate in the evenings. One nice chap threatened to slash my then pregnant wife's tyres. I reported this to the local cops and in true style, they threatened to give my wife a ticket if she parked there again. With no yellow lines, no "No Parking" signs, how could they I asked. Don't question us was the reply and nothing done about the tyre slashing threat.

This estate brought in clamping somehow and I've seen a few cars clamped.

Back to my original point, how is introducing and upping a parking charge quite quickly, encouraging people to use the train? Or should we all give up our houses in the commuter belt and move en mass into the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Tell that to the estate next door to the station, Silken Vale I think its called.

The access road in Silken Vale is not under county council ownership

http://beta.maynooth.org/?p=759

penexpers wrote: »
    The access road in Silken Vale is not under county council ownership

http://beta.maynooth.org/?p=759

That may be but when someone buys a house, they buy whats between the front garden wall and the back garden wall. What happens outside their driveway is, whether they like it or not, is not their business.

So if this estate has not been taken in charge, who has authorised the clamping? The residents don't own the roads, it would be the developer who bought the lands and built the houses imo. And since this estate was finished over 10 years ago, I'm sure he has since fecked off and doesn't give a damn about commuters parking in this estate. So once again, who has authoristed the clamping and is it legal? I'd bet the gobsh!te who threatened to slash my wife's tyres is probably one of the upstanding citizens who got the private clampers in.

Still haven't gotten an answer as to what encouragement is being offered to take public transport when its becoming increasingly more economic to drive into Dublin. I'm in town quite early and can avail of the small number of available "free" parking spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

So if this estate has not been taken in charge, who has authorised the clamping? The residents don't own the roads, it would be the developer who bought the lands and built the houses imo. And since this estate was finished over 10 years ago, I'm sure he has since fecked off and doesn't give a damn about commuters parking in this estate. So once again, who has authoristed the clamping and is it legal? I'd bet the gobsh!te who threatened to slash my wife's tyres is probably one of the upstanding citizens who got the private clampers in.

Still haven't gotten an answer as to what encouragement is being offered to take public transport when its becoming increasingly more economic to drive into Dublin. I'm in town quite early and can avail of the small number of available "free" parking spots.

If I'm not mistaken, there are NCPS signs up on that road which would indicate they are the clampers. The fact that the road hasn't been taken in charge by the CC yet would indicate that it is still in the hands of the developer.

I thought you gave up on the train a long time ago anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

There are no incentives for leaving the car at home, when one considers the cost and standard of public transport. While not all of it is poor, much of it is woefully operated and incapable of offering a value for money service. Take the feeder bus service to Sallins. It hasn't changed since the train service started in the mid 90s. It was crap then and these days its an absolute joke. A local lobby group in Sallins, NASRUG, have been calling for changes. In recent meetings with IE, the company claimed that making changes to the feeder bus service would involve "bus licensing" and other "processes" that they weren't "keen" on due to cost and other complexities. Some would say that an improved bus service would lead to fewer cars in the car park and congestion in the area overall. But this would then lead to reduced revenue for the private car park company raking in the handy few quid from commuters. Herein lies the truth. Its a vicious circle with joe public caught in the middle. Irish Rail don't give a fiddlers fart how you get to the station. Their sister company, Bus Eireann don't care either. Neither of them talk to each other anyway. The old time worn CIE tradition of ignorant bliss and "making money from their property portfolio" is still alive and well.

Of course local politicians don't have much of a clue about the issue. Nothing meaningful has been uttered by any of them since I started listening in or around 1997. A time when traffic congestion around the station was just getting lift off. As for the council, well god bless them, they are all at sea, as they no jack **** about public transport planning or initiatives. Naas used to have a local bus service, that was abandoned because the operator couldn't make it pay. Im not surprised as it started when the Irish love affair with the brand new car came to prominance. Then the council introduced pay parking and now all is well in the congested, financially driven:D town of Naas. They even sold off a "free" council car park for a pittance so a developer could build a pay parking multistory!

Ive often suggested that Naas should have a series of local bus services on different routes with the train station served. This service should not be expected to "pay for itself". It should be charged for and integrated with Irish Rail or Bus Eireann tickets, then subsidised by local rates. In return it will give us less traffic on the streets and an improved quality of life. Will it happen? No ****ing chance. Sure how many property developers with car parks run by private firms rely on the motorist? Don't be fooled. The Government want you in your car. If you weren't then the exchequer returns on fuel, fines, road tax etc would take a dive like the Titanic. The truth is behind your steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

WoW! Mr. Angry! I've said before it's all about choices. Ultimately we (collectively) make the choices - at least those who vote. Everything else falls from that so it cannot be everyone else that is to blame, "we" muct shoulder some of it too.......even if we feel we were conned into voting one way or the other.....speaking of which, roll on the local and European elections, I wonder how many will visit my house to beg for a vote :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

PD that's the sting - I agree, commuting is dead time - I hear there is some website for kildare companies that are hiring BUT perhaps that's all changed now....:(

On a lighter note, hope you see the irony in your name in relation to the original thread's theme......I guess after the increase you need to add "Not so" in front - sorry! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

HonalD wrote: »
    WoW! Mr. Angry! I've said before it's all about choices. Ultimately we (collectively) make the choices - at least those who vote. Everything else falls from that so it cannot be everyone else that is to blame, "we" muct shoulder some of it too.......even if we feel we were conned into voting one way or the other.....speaking of which, roll on the local and European elections, I wonder how many will visit my house to beg for a vote :)

Im not on the train commuting everyday. I enjoy working from home (in Naas) when I can and driving, when I have to and taking the train if needs be. My anger is not driven by any personal experience. In fact, its not anger that I feel. Its disgust and disappointment. People may elect, but people expect the elected to perform. A Government is meant to govern. In my opinion, in the Kildare region, neither Government parties or opposition parties understand the transport problem or have any tangible suggestions to solve it. The "we" you refer to is not necessarily a factor in the blame game. Politics and solutions are very poor bedfellows. Where does that leave the "we"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

:D Does the supervalue car park get filled up with commuters as well and the new shops?

penexpers wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, there are NCPS signs up on that road which would indicate they are the clampers. The fact that the road hasn't been taken in charge by the CC yet would indicate that it is still in the hands of the developer.

I thought you gave up on the train a long time ago anyway?

I did for a year when I got a new job working on Parkgate street near the Phoenix Park and I didn't have to face driving up the quays so it was faster to drive from my house in Prosperous to Parkgate street (50 minutes) than to drive to Sallins, wait for the (usually late) train, get into Heuston and walk to work (1 hour 15 minutes). However, my job moved back into the city centre with no car parking so I'm back on the train, so here I am bitching about getting screwed for using public transport, i.e. €20 for petrol a week to and from Parkgate street while its €44 a week for using the train.

HonalD wrote: »
    PD that's the sting - I agree, commuting is dead time - I hear there is some website for kildare companies that are hiring BUT perhaps that's all changed now....:(

On a lighter note, hope you see the irony in your name in relation to the original thread's theme......I guess after the increase you need to add "Not so" in front - sorry! :)

:D:D:D How I've come to regret my rushed choice of name for Boards! I think a lot of people assume I'm a rich git when the opposite is true. Prosperous is where I live and if you've ever passed through the place, you'd see that its the most inappropriately named village in Ireland, i.e. a dump and in no way Prosperous.

And yes, I would change it to not so Prosperous Dave but then I'd have to start my posts from no 1 when I'm so close to 1,000 - oh what a sad life I have :D

cymro wrote: »
    The sign in the big car park near the enterance to the up platform still reads as 2 euro and 5 euro . Does the supervalue car park get filled up with commuters as well and the new shops?

There's an underground car park specifically for commuters in Sallins that charges €2 a day for parking, although that might have gone up now. While its operated by the same crowd of muggers as the train car parks, if you buy a weekly parking ticket for the train car park and its full when you arrive, you can't use this ticket in the underground car park even though, as I've said above, its run by the same shysters who charge for car parking with no service provided, i.e. security against thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭orbital83

That may be but when someone buys a house, they buy whats between the front garden wall and the back garden wall. What happens outside their driveway is, whether they like it or not, is not their business.

Join the club Dave. I was keyed in that estate, had threatening notices on my car and confronted by locals at 7.30 in the morning. Queried it with the cops - they said they would have no authority to clamp, provided drivers were complying with the rules of the road. However a management company in a private estate can appoint a clamper provided appropriate signage is erected.
    The whole area of clamping on private property is a bit grey from a legal point of view. I remember hearing of a guy who was clamped on Waterford IT property, took it to court and won.

Re that Maynooth estate, yes, there are some sad individuals living round the area. Their lives involve going around the estate each morning taking note of car number plates and keeping a daily log.
    The cars are, by and large, safely parked and causing no trouble. The people who own them are working hard and paying taxes to provide the pensions / healthcare / social welfare of these pr*cks who go around harrassing them as they try to get to and from work. But that's another story isn't it.

Anyway I gave up on the whole public transport thing eventually and now drive into the city centre. I've noticed free parking in the city has become MUCH harder to find since charges were introduced at train station car parks. If the government are trying to get more people to drive to work, they're obviously succeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

:D:D:D How I've come to regret my rushed choice of name for Boards! I think a lot of people assume I'm a rich git when the opposite is true. Prosperous is where I live and if you've ever passed through the place, you'd see that its the most inappropriately named village in Ireland, i.e. a dump and in no way Prosperous.

And yes, I would change it to not so Prosperous Dave but then I'd have to start my posts from no 1 when I'm so close to 1,000 - oh what a sad life I have :D
    And let's not forget that it was the town where a government party launched its election manifesto just a few short years ago, having chosen the town because of its name. What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

In my disgust at the original charges and this latest hike in less than a year, I wrote to NCPS and amazingly got a reply today (I added my original questions inline in blue for clarity):

Dear Owenw,

Thank you for your email concerning Sallins Car Park.

Q: Is the ticket machine at Sallins train station car park faulty, or have NCPS increased the weekly fee?
    I tried to buy a €5 weekly ticket and was issued with a 2 day ticket on Tuesday this week.

The weekly fee is now €8 and a daily ticket is available at €2.

Q: Why isn't there an option to purchase a monthly parking ticket?
    CIE Group Property & NCPS are examining the feasibility of a monthly ticket at the moment and one is likely to be available in the New Year.

Q: Why can't we purchase a combined rail and parking ticket?
    CIE Group Property is also looking at integration of tickets systems but I am not in apposition to say when this will happen of even if it will happen.

Q: I notice a lot of broken car glass in the car park lately - are there any security staff patrolling the car park?
    Is CCTV monitoring provided?

With regards to security this is an issue which is managed by CIE and is not part of our remit although a full survey of all Irish Rail Car Parks is being undertaken and a report will be raised with respect to issues of this nature.

Kindest regards

xxxxxxx xxxxxx

Thanks for the info Owen, the jist of which is that NCPS have a licence to print money with these car parks that were free for years, and now have parking charges that can be increased adfinitum. It really is money for nothing. Jeez why didn't I think of this years ago?

BTW the machine was broken on the naas side of the station this morning and I toyed with the idea of using this as an excuse not to get a ticket but I knew the clamping fraternity wouldn't accept that as their machine was broken and wouldn't issue tickets, then that was their problem. So I ended up trekking up the stairs, down the stairs, out to the far car park, get a ticket, back up the stairs, down the stairs, out to the car park to place the ticket. Exercise courtesy of NCPS:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I'm situated on the Dublin-Dundalk line but I sympathise.
    Since they brought in this car-park fee it is now more expensive for me to get the train than to drive into work. It was always on the edge anyway but the cost of car-parking made it more expensive than the petrol option. I get home quicker driving aswell anyway.From the city centre.
    Then I hear ads on the radio or politicians talking and saying things like "it's cheaper to get public transport" or you avoid traffic and get there quicker". I honestly want to wring their necks when I hear that because it's not true, and hasn't been for a long time.I got the train all through my school and college years, which were quite recent, so I have plenty of experience of it. It's not cheaper, it's not reliable and to be honest it's pretty crap. You wouldn't mind so much if it was a good service. Added to that is the fact that 4 weekly tickets in a month cost less than a monthly ticket.Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think it is ridiculous TBH.

On top of that in Maynooth, the ticket machine always has a puddle in front of it so people have to try to avoid getting wet too.

I walk to the train station but saw this and thought how stupid it was. On the plus side, they have updated the car park with an extra speed bump which wasn't required right at the junction entrance to the car park, hurray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

... I toyed with the idea of using this as an excuse not to get a ticket...

I feel your pain. Good idea getting a ticket from the other side: the guy selling tickets in Sallins told me 6 cars in Newbridge were clamped on Saturday last, despite the car park being practically empty! You'd think NCPS could put a few notices up or at least a note on the ticket machines.

Do NCPS carry out ANY maintenance as part of their "remit"? I don't see anything being done in Sallins to repair damaged bollards, re-paint faded markings, remove graffiti or even clear up rubbish and smashed glass.

Does anyone know is the underground carpark still €8?
    Is it any safer to park in there to avoid vandalism/break-ins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

According to the wife, 4 cars had their windows smashed this morning in the Maynooth car park, and the glass had not been cleaned up this evening-but the clampers had been around during the day-not saying they should have cleaned it up, but where is the money going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

brim4brim wrote: »
    I think it is ridiculous TBH.

On top of that in Maynooth, the ticket machine always has a puddle in front of it so people have to try to avoid getting wet too.

I walk to the train station but saw this and thought how stupid it was. On the plus side, they have updated the car park with an extra speed bump which wasn't required right at the junction entrance to the car park, hurray!

Theres more than one ticket machine (theres at least two more down the end beam of the carpark, anyway) and that speed bump is actually meant to be a ramp to let people off the old Mullen Bridge in to the proper footpath (most walked down the road ramp).

Jesus, I sound like I'm supporting NCPS there. I'm not! Really!

There's only one ticket machine in Sallins on the Naas side of the station and its still broken so NCPS get their parking fees but can't be arsed even ensuring their own machines are working. I saw a few cars parking across the road from the station this morning in the surface car park. I thought this was for the Supervalu customers only? Is it now for commuters as well as it would help with a fast getaway in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There's only one ticket machine in Sallins on the Naas side of the station and its still broken so NCPS get their parking fees but can't be arsed even ensuring their own machines are working. I saw a few cars parking across the road from the station this morning in the surface car park. I thought this was for the Supervalu customers only? Is it now for commuters as well as it would help with a fast getaway in the evenings?

Why would they fix it? Isn't the fine bigger than the cost of daily parking?

It pays them not to fix it and to just fine people that won't walk to the other pay point.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Theres more than one ticket machine (theres at least two more down the end beam of the carpark, anyway) and that speed bump is actually meant to be a ramp to let people off the old Mullen Bridge in to the proper footpath (most walked down the road ramp).

Jesus, I sound like I'm supporting NCPS there. I'm not! Really!

Maybe but that is a few minutes walk each way and there are puddles to cross to get to the other ones too if your at the flooded end of the car park which you inevitably are if you park there after 7:15am.

I was watching a guy in a suit trying to get by without ending up with water up to his ankles today. I'd have laughed but I just felt sorry for the guy given the situation.

Advertisement