Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radar Speed checks at night?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

andrewh5 wrote: »
    The Gardaí are obliged under EU law to notify the actual position that they will use mobile traps in. These settings can be added to a database and installed on a GPS device. I have one and it is updated regularly (via annual subscription). It will beep and show a warning when you are approaching a mobile area or a fixed camera. Well worth €35 a year!

Any idea where this is in hard copy? Also if would entertain me.. (if possible) would you mind seeing if on the old road (N4) about 2miles out of Enfield heading towards Moyvally there is a mobile trap spot right side of the road by Blackwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Hammertime wrote: »
    dashboard unit fitted, unit is called a Valentine one, I highly recommend it.

You've pricey taste!! :pac: Do you have a V1 as well?? I thought I was the only one.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You've pricey taste!! :pac: Do you have a V1 as well?? I thought I was the only one.:P

I salute your impeccable taste Sir !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They need to be aimed correctly though, which may be a problem in the dark.
    Apparently operator error accounts for the vast majority of failed or incorrect readings.

A good enough reason as any to get rid of the "gun", and require them all to sit on some kind of mounting or tripod.
    Alun wrote: »
    True. Which is, quite frankly, laughable. I couldn't believe it when I first heard this. Banana state indeed.
    What worried me most when I first saw it is that the legislation specifically states this. If it was an oversight, I can understand that, but I've no idea how someone thought it was a good idea to specifically say that, "The device does not need to be working properly to secure a conviction".

just looked at the website.. jeez that guy looks demented!! Good system though front and back cover.

Have you ever had any reason to think it been detected?

For example a straight road 4 miles. on the 3rd mile the mob trap is located.. when does the device tell you?

• Advertisement

Hammertime wrote: »
    I salute your impeccable taste Sir !

;)

Mission Imeccable ;) I wouldn't rely to heavily on the V1 for the Laser Traps. You can be lucky however with its stellar laser scatter detection.

stifz wrote: »
    just looked at the website.. jeez that guy looks demented!! Good system though front and back cover.

Have you ever had any reason to think it been detected?

For example a straight road 4 miles. on the 3rd mile the mob trap is located.. when does the device tell you?

Who MikeV lol he Does a bit!

Well I use it as a secondary for Laser detection. but you can get scatter from Laser source. The radar can get annoying in city limits for need to learn how to 'read' the bogey counter and strength meter. Coming up to a GATSO van you'll get a 300-400 metres which you need to react straight away. The ramp up uses a geiger like tone the closer you get to the source the more rempant it becomes.
    It all depends on the traffic if theirs more cars they'll 'bounce' the RADAR signal further.

The V1 is undetectable by any electronic device the garda claim to use.

seamus wrote: »

What worried me most when I first saw it is that the legislation specifically states this. If it was an oversight, I can understand that, but I've no idea how someone thought it was a good idea to specifically say that, "The device does not need to be working properly to secure a conviction".

The LIDAR guns are self calibrated. It will fail the Power On Self Test if it detects any issues. ANyhow the calobrated guns are still subject to the 'Slip effect' which can get a higher reading off anything with a flick on the wrist :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/09_september/12/inside.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I notice the Radar Gun being mentioned a lot here. I was told by a Garda friend of mine that they only use Laser guns now, as their hand-held device... and calibration certs do NOT have to be provided in court.

Sorry to clear that up... It was a laser and NOT a radar gun. My fault typo in the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Laser guns cannot be used and night and if I was targeted with one.. Cya in Court boys

1) You can't accurately see the plate at night. Reasonable doubt they could have targeted my windscreen (deflected / refraction of the laser beam), the car behind me, the road surface....

2) Calibration? They don't show the certs for calibration? According to the suppliers of the Garda guns the calibration should be conducted "daily"
    "XXXSUPPLIERXXX recommends that this test be performed at regular intervals (daily). We also suggest
    a test area be permanently installed in a convenient location. The test area must establish a
    permanent known distance between a target and a shooting mark."

The humidity of the day could be enough to get you off the ticket in many countries. We don't even tell a road user how far they were from the gun when targeted. And heres another one, if the gun is 5 degress or more off axis to the license plate the error is upwards of 2 miles per hour.

BTW, don't bother with detectors. Its too late when they go off. Radar is seldom used regardless except for Gatso etc.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Laser guns cannot be used and night and if I was targeted with one.. Cya in Court boys

1) You can't accurately see the plate at night. Reasonable doubt they could have targeted my windscreen (deflected / refraction of the laser beam), the car behind me, the road surface....

Yes you can! They aim at the Headlight as stated in the LIDAR manual. They don't need to just aim for the plate. LIDAR is more effective during the night

2) Calibration? They don't show the certs for calibration? According to the suppliers of the Garda guns the calibration should be conducted "daily"

Calibration that doesn't wash over here theres something in the Road Traffic Act about a calibration not required. Besides the Guns are self calibrated.(However they do get annual calibration from time to time). If your going to use any defence I'd use the 'Slip Effect' that those guns are prone to.

The humidity of the day could be enough to get you off the ticket in many countries. We don't even tell a road user how far they were from the gun when targeted.

LIDAR guns are more advanced then you think. The Ultralyte (Gun the Garda use) has a weather mode.

And heres another one, if the gun is 5 degress or more off axis to the license plate the error is upwards of 2 miles per hour.

WRONG AGAIN! Cosine error will always go in the drivers favour!

figure5.gif

BTW, don't bother with detectors. Its too late when they go off. Radar is seldom used regardless except for Gatso etc.

Hmmm, Sounds as if your countermeasures aren't up to scratch, and you were caught speeding......Let me guess you've a Cobra Radar Detector :D . Do your research and you'll soon find answers on how to deal with garda laser efficiently ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

First of all they are NOT radar devices. Secondly they cannot be used accurately at night.

I believe they will not work in fog.

stek wrote: »
    I believe they will not work in fog.

Correct. And the Weather mode is dufunct as you could reasonably argue on alot of grounds.

Counter measures? Your talking to the right person... :D
    We don't even tell a road user how far they were from the gun when targeted.

That arguement still stands. There was a test case in Mullingar I believe.
    According to the suppliers of the Garda guns the calibration should be conducted "daily"

You CANNNOT argue with a device manufacteur. Unless Templemoore are teaching Advanced Level Physics now :)
    They aim at the Headlight as stated in the LIDAR manual.

As above, you can't argue that one. A windscreen / headlight could diffract a reading causing an error. (Google it)
    Sounds as if your countermeasures aren't up to scratch,

May I ask what you use? Short of Jamming or "Veil"-ing, Detectors are no use. Its WIDELY acknoledged that detectors arn't effective against Laser threats

Correct. And the Weather mode is dufunct as you could reasonably argue on alot of grounds.

Counter measures? Your talking to the right person... :D

What countermeasures? Obviously not anything half decent if the Garada was able to get a reading

As above, you can't argue that one. A windscreen / headlight could diffract a reading causing an error. (Google it)

If it was top diffract the pulses then the LTIs error trapping would kick in as it hasn't recieved back all the pulses its send out back. I think your mistaking this with the 'Slip effect' which can effect reading off the licence plate as well

What countermeasures? Obviously not anything half decent if the Garda was able to get a reading

BTW I've never been done for speeding.

The widely accepted place to obtain a reading is the license plate, and second to that, the headlights.

I'm just giving the manufacteurs facts here. Their words, not mine.

Actually after reading the tele-traffics version of the Ultralyte Manual they don't seem to endorse the aiming at the Headlights (However its common practice and in the Original UL manual)
    Measuring a Moving Vehicle

To measure the velocity of a vehicle using the UltraLyte use the following procedure:

1. Aim the instrument at the license plate area of the target vehicle and squeeze the trigger.A low-pitched growl begins indicating the instrument is trying to acquire a lock in the target.

2. Keep the trigger pressed and the instrument sighted on the target until you hear a beep.A high-pitched beep means that a speed was captured; a low-pitched beep that a measurement error occurred. The speed calculated for the target displays in the LCD and in the scope.If the target was going away from you when it was measured, the speed displays as a negative
    number. If the target was approaching, the speed displays as a positive number.

As long as the trigger is kept pressed your UltraLyte instrument may retry the speed measurement,depending on its configuration, up to 10 times or more. Consequently, it is very important that the aiming point on the target remains constant for the entire measurement time. If you move the instrument off the aiming point it cannot capture a speed reading and displays an error message instead.
    May I ask what you use? Short of Jamming or "Veil"-ing, Detectors are no use. Its WIDELY acknoledged that detectors arn't effective against Laser threats

Lets say you'd be warm on the jamming end of things ;) Veiling does work but Its ruins the Headlights. I've done my rear lights.

Detectors are in 99% of the cases useless however my V1 has given me advance warning ;)

Could say I'm "Blind" :cool:

Could say I'm "Blind" :cool:

I see, that systems worth a ****e in fairness due to >150 metres targeting and rear targeting that the Garda do on a regular basis ;)

08_laser_results.gif

Its not that bad based on firmware updates etc undertaken this summer / fall to US models

• Advertisement

08_laser_results.gif

Its not that bad based on firmware updates etc undertaken this summer / fall to US models

Well considering the ONLY guns used here are the LTI Ultralyte & occasionally LTI Marksman with PTs ranging from 300 - 996 ft I'd pass. Hell the laser mask is well cheaper and did just as well!

On another note it is actually a Jammer and has no defence so I wouldn't fancy my chances. These LED jammers are very weak against the LTI guns especially without Veil for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

TheNog wrote: »
    Not illegal to own but illegal to use.

Sounds stupid cos it is stupid

The legislation on these things was changed recently, they are now illegal to own aswell.

I was in court recently (family law dont ask :() and a guy who pulled in at a Garda checkpoint (he pulled in, he was not pulled in by the guards) to report another car for dangerous driving, the car in question had already been stopped at the checkpoint. While talking to the plod they noticed that he had a radar dectector in the car and they did him for it. It was not a speed check so they would have no knowledge of whether he was using it or not.
    His solicitor made much of the good samaritan issue and said that " my client has never been in court before for a motoring offence and was trying to do his duty etc etc" at which point the judge remarked "we can now see why" (the whole court LOL'd) he got a hefty fine, cant remember the exact amount but it was over a grand. so beware!!!

pred racer wrote: »
    (the whole court LOL'd) he got a hefty fine, cant remember the exact amount but it was over a grand. so beware!!!

+1 Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Try googling laser guns before you start slinging the insults around.

Try using a laser gun before slinging comments around.

Laser guns DO work at night time, The laws of physics do not change at sundown.

It is true however that it can sometimes be harder to obtain a reading from a car when the laser is directed at its headlights on full beam, but it is not impossible.

In short: radar / laser will work in daytime, nighttime, rain, sun,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I think speed checks at night are dangerous for the gardai involved....true/ false?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Bearcat wrote: »
    I think speed checks at night are dangerous for the gardai involved....true/ false?

Anytime is a dangerous time for a traffic stop but night is not more so than day time. Actually the blue lights and the orange wand attached to the torch is more visible at night than it is during the daylight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote: »
    I presume it was phrased to protect AGS in the course of their duties in case they got sued or whatever.
    The Gardaí are obliged under EU law to notify the actual position that they will use mobile traps in.
    Nonsense. You are making it up as you go along!
    Cya in court as in you'll be done for speeding or Cya in court because you are taking on the system?
    "XXXSUPPLIERXXX recommends that this test be performed at regular intervals (daily). We also suggest
    a test area be permanently installed in a convenient location. The test area must establish a
    permanent known distance between a target and a shooting mark."
    I don't know where you sourced this but its irrelevant. The law as you have been told explicitly states that the equipment is presumed to be in perfect working order. It could be falling apart and legally you don't have a leg to stand on!
    WRONG AGAIN! Cosine error will always go in the drivers favour!

figure5.gif
    Wasn't there a guy (university professor?) who challenged the law there on this basis and lost?

kbannon wrote: »
    Wasn't there a guy (university professor?) who challenged the law there on this basis and lost?

I'm not sure,but the angle will always give a lower reading, trust me cosine error DOES go in the drivers favour every time and I've used an LTI ;).

Maybe your think of Dr Michael Clarke chalenged the accuracy of the Laser with a method called the "slip effect" that could get higher readings from a flick of the wrist and also the use of the LIDAR gun in areas with reflective signing i.e road works etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

do gatso vans work in the dark?

• Advertisement

Martron wrote: »
    do gatso vans work in the dark?

Old GATSO RADAR ones - No...8 New MultaNova RADAR C Ones - Yes

The Tripod (Lasercam / MicroDigicam) can work in the Dusk but has no flash for complete darkness.

0000879310drdo6.jpg

Advertisement