Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radar Speed checks at night?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

are they in operation yet ?

and does the reflective surface of the registration plate reflect infra red ?

cos i was thinkin thats how they gatso van would have worked in the dak that it would be able to see past the head lights? provding that they ont emit as much infra red!!!! (babbling ..... should have thought this through. i am sure there is method in my madness)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Martron wrote: »
    are they in operation yet ?

and does the reflective surface of the registration plate reflect infra red ?

Yes, In some cases better than normal light. The M50 Toll works that way. As regards IR Illumination, it would take a fair wattage of light to successfully capture a plate number IMO.
    I don't know where you sourced this but its irrelevant

The EXPERTS that MADE the device.

0000879310drdo6.jpg

Would the Cosine not be a huge factor there? In the Drivers favour of course. The tripod is facing down, so if the the distance to the plate was say 150m, and the bridge was 30 ish M, surely, my Triganometry (12 degree's in this case), thats a big difference that gets bigger as your get further away?

EDIT: If I ain't mistaken, E02 is a Jam code.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

ye should research this a bit more, most of the points are in correct!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

ironclaw wrote: »
    Would the Cosine not be a huge factor there? In the Drivers favour of course. The tripod is facing down, so if the the distance to the plate was say 150m, and the bridge was 30 ish M, surely, my Triganometry (12 degree's in this case), thats a big difference that gets bigger as your get further away?

I presume it would be a factor but the angle wouldn't be too severe and obviously they wouldn't be aiming further away as they need to snap the reg plate 12 degree would be about 3 - 6k off the actual reading so the majority of speeders would be nabbed.

EDIT: If I ain't mistaken, E02 is a Jam code.

Nope not a JAM code but a measurement error. Its a common error on those guns, in this case its detecting an obstruction or the target has moved out of range

errorcodesjm3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bryanmurr wrote: »
    ye should research this a bit more, most of the points are incorrect!!

Explain :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure,but the angle will always give a lower reading, trust me cosine error DOES go in the drivers favour every time and I've used an LTI ;).

Maybe your think of Dr Michael Clarke chalenged the accuracy of the Laser with a method called the "slip effect" that could get higher readings from a flick of the wrist and also the use of the LIDAR gun in areas with reflective signing i.e road works etc
    It wasn't a professor but a Dr.
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=191707&in_page_id=2
    The EXPERTS that MADE the device.
    In future, please provide a source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Could someone in the know here please give a rough indication of what percentage of the speed detectors the Guards use, i.e laser and radar?

And on which roads would they be most commonly used? i.e. laser on motorway etc.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kbannon wrote: »

Cheers for that, thats was rough!
    Could someone in the know here please give a rough indication of what percentage of the speed detectors the Guards use, i.e laser and radar?

And on which roads would they be most commonly used? i.e. laser on motorway etc.

Thanks!

Laser would be the main tool used - LTI Marksman & LTI Ultralyte (A few have Lasercam / Microdigicam to snap your plate). Its Ireland so be sure to see them on the motorway or on the slips shooting cars from the rear :eek: NASTY!

VANS - 3 or 4 GATSOMETER vans (Low Powered K Band RADAR) & 8 X MulaNova Radar C (Low Powered Vertically Polarised K Band RADAR), And there's a van with a Laser operator on board as well. They park the GATSO up the M1 80k before the airport alot. - SHOCKING :mad:

Advertisement