Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi my first time using this site but I've been advised that its very helpful. My problem is there are a lot of rust holes coming in my 2004 Ford Mondeo. Two of them are above the windscreen. Should this be happening already? Also is it very expensive/dangerous if the release bearing goes in gear box?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Maggie D wrote: »
    Also is it very expensive/dangerous if the release bearing goes in gear box?

Not sure on the on the rust bit, but im sure is shouldnt be happening on a 4 year old car. However rust spots may develop from stone chips ....... But with a dodgy bearing theres a chance that the car could 'pop' out of gear when driving, could be a gearbox out job ... stand to be corrected on this tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Check out the warranty situation with the rust. Most manufacturers offer longer warranties on bodywork than mechanicals like 8 years anti-corrosion and the like. If however the rust if the reuslt of a past repair you haven't a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Maggie D wrote: »
    Hi my first time using this site but I've been advised that its very helpful. My problem is there are a lot of rust holes coming in my 2004 Ford Mondeo. Two of them are above the windscreen. Should this be happening already? Also is it very expensive/dangerous if the release bearing goes in gear box?
    Thanks

bring it striaght to a ford dealer. It should be covered by body warranty. Its being reported to happen in some models in uk. check www.fordmondeo.org
    ford should cover the cost...once its not a botched repair job from an accident. but theyll know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check the warranty with a Ford Dealer regarding the body rust, usually I think the anticorrosion warranty is 8 or 10 years on Fords. I know that that model Mondeo did suffer from rust on the doors alright but not sure about the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The release bearing is in the clutch, not the gearbox. The most common symptom of a failing clutch release bearing is a squealing noise when the clutch is pedal is depressed. It can fail completely and break up which will leave you stranded.

As you have to remove the gearbox to replace it, it makes sense to replace the complete clutch assembly - friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing at the same time. The labour will cost more than the parts, so no point in just changing the bearing. A complete new clutch will last for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You don't have to remove the gearbox, just the clutch assembly surely? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The clutch assembly is sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox. There were a few cars in which the clutch could be removed with the gearbox in place by removing an access panel in the bell housing and withdrawing the gearbox input shaft - older Opels for example. I'm not aware that the Mondeo falls into this category. In general, clutch replacement requires the gearbox to be removed. In FWD cars, this also means removal of the driveshafts to allow the differential to come out.

Advertisement