Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at TKMAXX - fine!

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend just got a mail in the post with a €40 fine attached for parking at a no parking zone on the 30th Oct. Turns out she was parked (with a disc displayed) in front of TKMAXX. She rang the Cork city council and spoke to two girls. One of them said that the area around TK Maxx is a no parking zone.

Is that true? I've never seen signs down there, and people are parked there all the time.

And are they in the habbit of sending you letters now instead of putting a ticket on your car?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

have a look at the ground when the cars are gone, most of that road is no parking. you get away w/ parking there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

Tree wrote: »
    have a look at the ground when the cars are gone, most of that road is no parking. you get away w/ parking there at night.
    But there aren't any double yellow lines there. And there were a stream of cars parked all along there. Sounds like a council money trap to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Be glad she was not towed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

shnaek wrote: »
    And are they in the habbit of sending you letters now instead of putting a ticket on your car?

Yes I believe that's the norm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

In all fairness you have my sympathies, I parked in the exact same place only a few evenings ago, thought nothing of it as the whole street was neatly parked up there too. Its a bit rich of the council to police that area when the street is in the state its in, casual traders leaving stands there all week, and a distinct lack of lines on the road, or a decent surface in parts further down. Never mind that its a huge wide street and there is plenty of space for stopping there (can see it becoming disk parking yet bar casual trading days)...tough one!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

The whole area is casual trading only.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I got my first (and only) parking ticket just in front of the bookies near TK Maxx many years ago.

I deserved it too because it was a double-yellow and I used park there nearly every time I went into town.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You think that's bad? I got two parking fines even though I've a permit. Not happy, someones getting a drilling in City Hall tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

may be the new footpath outside tkmaxxs went over the double jellies, but there;s defo no parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

if theres no signpost or marking on the road then i would think u have a case cuz it not labeled, even if it is supposed to be a no parking zone.

yeah thats fairly crap that they do that now cuz its a good few weeks later that u get it and u can't even remember what that circumstances were for when u parked there and so can really fight the ticket

• Advertisement

As far as i know the other side of the road has signs stating casual trading only area. But im not sure if that legally speaking covers the other side of the road. Id give you maybe a 60-40 chance of getting off it if you contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

God it's such a scam. Surely the council are under some obligation to the public to make things known? If there is no parking there, then put in the proper double yellows and proper signs. Or is it that they want you to park there so they can screw more money out of you to pay their benchmarking? I guess when we are all unemployed we'll have more time to stand outside their offices and protest :pac:

Was down there yesterday. All 3 poles on the side of TKMAXX have no parking signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

did your girlfriend look for a disc parking sign on the street before she plonked the disc on the dash and headed off? For a disc parking area they have plenty of clearly visible signs around the place.

Advertisement