Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red "Internet" light on Eircom Router

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have this red internet light on my netopia router, I can ping the router but can't get past it, no internet but showing 6672up/512down on the config page. I went though some TS with eircom BB and they said some issue in the exchange. Any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Hi Guys,

I have this red internet light on my netopia router, I can ping the router but can't get past it, no internet but showing 6672up/512down on the config page. I went though some TS with eircom BB and they said some issue in the exchange. Any ideas

Incorrect username/password entered on the configuration page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Vanbis wrote: »

That is what the TS guy said too and gave me an alternative username, same issue persists though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

That is what the TS guy said too and gave me an alternative username, same issue persists though.

Did they give you a support username and password? If that did not work call back. If they did,you entered it correctly and it did not work call back as well.
    A lot of things can cause that. Mostly authentication. Some times its intermittent sync as in your dsl gets disconnected for a second and the internet light goes red. The speeds you are syncing at is an indication that you may be syncing at a speed your line cant really take. So call em back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

Vanbis wrote: »

User name: eircom@eircom.net Password: broadband1 If that doesnt work try your telephone number for the user name and account number as the password, Broadband support number 1890260260

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

As above - it is a BAS authentication issue.....if the DSL light is green then this is just username/password stuff, probably on eircom's side in RADIUS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Could be just what the TS agent said, an authentication issue at the exchange.

Just reset the router to get the default Eircom Username and Password - if it's still red, it's the Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 taoiseachjoe

I found that this can be caused by mis-configuring the DSL Modulation type in the router config settings, rather than any login/password issues.

You will likely need G.dmt for eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Probably the phone line from the socket to the router. The SN might be so low that it cant establish a connection. Try replacing it. I had a similar experience recently after the upgrade only not as bad.

If you do get a connection go here http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm and keep an eye on the SN margin and the amount of CRC errors.

i changed the cable from wall socket to router, connected now. my SN is 32 is that normal, on 7mb getting 6484/512 u/d now

32 is very good. Is it same for upstream and downstream? Does it variate much when you refresh a few times?
    Also, are you getting many crc errors?

Edit, BTW, you should be getting 7616/672

• Advertisement

32 is very good. Is it same for upstream and downstream? Does it variate much when you refresh a few times?
    Also, are you getting many crc errors?

Edit, BTW, you should be getting 7616/672

I asked about that and they said it depends on distance from the exchange. I'm 4.7km as the crow flies on googlemaps. happy with the speed. zero crc errors and getting 32 up/38down, refreshed a few times and consistant.

thanks for the advice

No problem, at the same time though, im glad this wrecked somebody elses head. As mad as that may seem. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

i seem to be having this problem at the mo,
    Im on 3mb, Ive been getting the red light the last 4 days, broadband keeps coming and going, it could work for 5 mins and then be gone for 2 hours, I never had any problems b4 the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

I've also been having a similar problem for the last few days. I'm on the Balbriggan exchange and UTV is my ISP.

this is what it was like all day

red light on internet, but dsl light is green , sometimes it flickers

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Fail

then for a few mins when it comes back working it goes

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Pass
    Authentication Pass
    IP Pass

works for 5 mins then gone again,

today

I got sometimes

DSL Pass
    ATM Pass
    Ethernet Pass
    PPPoE Pass
    Authentication Pass
    IP Fail

it seems fine for the moment but I know it will go again I May ring eircom,,

BTW
    I tried to put a password on my router ( which I did ) then tried to log in and it asked for a username and password, I dont have a username wtf!!! ? can someone help me, I only know a password I was never given a username

Rather than using the same post cross-thread, could you possibly read how the problem was resolved in this thread? Thats why i linked it in the first place.

You'd never know it might help if you read it.

I havent resolved it!

I rang eircom and she told me they need to send out an engineer and I've to pay 100 euro because its not there problem, hello im paying for what im not getting!! they should fix for free, ,,

anyways my broadband came back today for some time, and then after being on the router just turns off and on again , why's this, how does it do that, its as if when then net comes back theres an invisible man who turns off the switch and back on 1!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

akenny01 wrote: »
    I rang eircom and she told me they need to send out an engineer and I've to pay 100 euro because its not there problem...

Hmmmmm..

• Advertisement

hold on, In my time of anger and need for broadband you come into the thread and go on about my grammer, FFS MAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

akenny01 wrote: »
    hold on, In my time of anger and need for broadband you come into the thread and go on about my grammer, FFS MAN

Tsk, tsk.....you mean grammar!

what Is it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGrabbingHand

I seem to be having the same problem with 2 netgear routers. Both showing connection and up and down speed yet BT saving I'm not connected to their servers. They logged fault with Eircom and I am still waiting. This is on Dun laoghaire exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGrabbingHand

Got it sorted today. After doing all the line checks The BT guy turned off and then turned on the "card" in the exchange and away I went.

sorted!!! , Eircom guy that lives here in town gave me a lend of his router untill they send me a replacement ,should be here sometime next week, :D looks like my router was broke :D

Advertisement