Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headlights?

Options
  • 05-11-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

So my bulb is gone in my Hundai Accent.

Need to replace it and want to do it quick so I am not one of those people driving around with one headlight on.

Just a quick question though are headlights/headlamps standard? My car manual only mentions wattage, and nothing about models. I can remove the bulb/fitting easy enough so I have no problem replacing it, just want to make sure I but the right one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The most common ones are H4 which have a combined full/dip beam in one bulb, or H7 dipped / H1 main as separate bulbs. There are other combos but these are by far the most common. Any motor factor (or even Halfrauds) will be able to tell you which one you have, but first you need to determine whether it's the main beam, dipped beam or both that have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Alun wrote: »
    The most common ones are H4 which have a combined full/dip beam in one bulb, or H7 dipped / H1 main as separate bulbs. There are other combos but these are by far the most common. Any motor factor (or even Halfrauds) will be able to tell you which one you have, but first you need to determine whether it's the main beam, dipped beam or both that have gone.

Its the dipped that have gone. But I thinks it a dual filament bulb. I prob should have just done a quick search seems like a H4 bulb I need according to some online sites.

My "parking"/"side" lights are fine on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Easiest thing to do is remove it outside the motor factors and bring the old bulb in with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You should be able to see from the outside easy enough .. The side / parking lights are small and fairly obvious. If there's two other bulbs visible in each headlight housing then it's probably an H1/H7 combo, if it's only one it's probably an H4. Either is readily available.

Alun wrote: »
    You should be able to see from the outside easy enough .. The side / parking lights are small and fairly obvious. If there's two other bulbs visible in each headlight housing then it's probably an H1/H7 combo, if it's only one it's probably an H4. Either is readily available.

Defo only one I had the bulb out last night. So it must be the H4 thanks guys. I'll ask in the motor store anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Nearly forget to get my two cent in here(as always)

Always change your headlight bulbs in pairs to stop you having different light levels on both sides.

The older a bulb the less light it emits. If you are replacing on then defo replace the other as well.

Your local factors should charge you no more than €8 for a pair of standard Halogens.

If you are feeling flush then as for PIAA or Osram and get a powerful bulb for better light.

Older Hyundai have a lens which light struggles to pass through so the stronger the light the better off you are.

ONLY BUY 55Watt bulbs. If you venture in Halfords 100Watt bulbs are for off road use only but the knobs will sell them to you anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

Lidl are selling set of halogens for €7.99 tomorrow

Nearly forget to get my two cent in here(as always)

Always change your headlight bulbs in pairs to stop you having different light levels on both sides.

The older a bulb the less light it emits. If you are replacing on then defo replace the other as well.

Your local factors should charge you no more than €8 for a pair of standard Halogens.

If you are feeling flush then as for PIAA or Osram and get a powerful bulb for better light.

Older Hyundai have a lens which light struggles to pass through so the stronger the light the better off you are.

ONLY BUY 55Watt bulbs. If you venture in Halfords 100Watt bulbs are for off road use only but the knobs will sell them to you anyway!!

Thanks for that I will purchase a pair, but might not get a chance to swap the other one till the weekend as it looks like a harder job on the passenger side with more stuff in the way.

Will only be getting 55w/60w bulbs as the manual says.

I'll see what is in stock at the motor shop and get the "best" one. It won't be a Halfords kind of place so I will trust the staff, plus the advice I have received here.
    Rebeller wrote: »

Do not want to wait until tomorrow, as I will be driving in the dark this evening, and I always hate seeing people going around with faulty lights.

Although I may get some spare ones there tomorrow.

Rebeller wrote: »

God Help Us. Their stuff is questionable at the best of times. Thats all we need is low quality bulbs flooding the market.

On the bright side(dont excuse the pun, it was intended) at least they will promote them quite highly and remind people to think about their lighting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1st time I ever heard of being advised to change a light bulb that didn't need changing :confused:

• Advertisement

A halogen bulbs element breaks down over time and slowly emmits a lower level of light.

Putting in a new Halogen will to an extent make the light different on either side. It can be a nuisance depending on the wear of the working bulb.

Xenon Lights and HID lights should ALWAYS be changed in pairs. The manufactuers guide book even states this.

All done now guys.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

A halogen bulbs element breaks down over time and slowly emmits a lower level of light.

Putting in a new Halogen will to an extent make the light different on either side. It can be a nuisance depending on the wear of the working bulb.

Xenon Lights and HID lights should ALWAYS be changed in pairs. The manufactuers guide book even states this.

A Halogen bulb actually gets brighter with age with it being brightest just before it blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not meaning to hijack the thread but who's bright idea (pun not intended) was to place the car battery right behind the lights on the passenger sides of cars (Skoda, Seat, VW).

You need to have a tiny hand to get your hand in there to change the light.

Or is it a case of removing the battery and battery case so make it easier to change the light?

Trampas wrote: »
    Not meaning to hijack the thread but who's bright idea (pun not intended) was to place the car battery right behind the lights on the passenger sides of cars (Skoda, Seat, VW).

You need to have a tiny hand to get your hand in there to change the light.

Or is it a case of removing the battery and battery case so make it easier to change the light?

Exactly the problem on the Hyundai as well. Which is why I will leave replacing that one until the weekend.

Thread has served its purpose for the OP(me) so I doubt its considered hijacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

God Help Us. Their stuff is questionable at the best of times. Thats all we need is low quality bulbs flooding the market.

Can't agree with that, almost everything technical they sell appears to be TUV rated. Can't be any worse than Halfords or other non-branded stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

I have used the lidl kits a few times, actually quite handy. They do a sort of emergency bulb kit, 2 H4's, stop and tail, indicators, side light, number plate light, some other random bulbs I've never used, and a few fuses for good measure, all in a robust plastic container. Enough to get you out of a hole some night, no boot should be without one!:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

True enough,

I mentioned that although I contest the quality of their products it will serve a good purpose if it encourages people to carry a spare bulb kit through heavy advertising.

Shame, most people will have no idea what type of bulbs they need and will buy the first one they find. Might need a H7 kit and buy a H3 kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I am not one of those people driving around with one headlight on
    Carry spares with you in future and you will be able to rectify any fault immediately! ;)

Advertisement