Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Saturday Brunch

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Figured this deserved a thread of it's own! Any thoughts on the best brunch on a saturday? So far I've suggested John St. deli for the fry. Nothing fancy, but pretty nice. Nice fresh coffee.
    Can't say I like the american style place on High St. Food is great but the pressure to sit beside strangers is too much. Not fair on the people already sitting at a table or the people who've just arrived.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

+ 1 for John Street Deli.

I have'nt actually tried anywhere else in ages just keep going back to John Street.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I've never been. I assume its on John Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I can't picture the deli on John's Street at all.

I went into the sandwich shop on Thomas Street last weekend as I had a hankering for a toasted sandwich and it was real nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Orangish front??across from donkey fords,has the best breakfast roll ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Millie wrote: »
    I can't picture the deli on John's Street at all.

I went into the sandwich shop on Thomas Street last weekend as I had a hankering for a toasted sandwich and it was real nice.

Sandwich shop on Thomas street. Good food, nice place reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

The Cafe on the Row on Bedford Row does a lovely breakfast, reasonably priced. They don't do cereals though so if that's a problem maybe Mrs O'Connors on Thomas St - it's not bad either. If it's just a fry up you're looking for I have to say I love the fry up at the Golden Grill but that's not for everyone :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of places do a big breakfast, some mentioned above. Dolan's is pretty good too.

What's a good price though for a full Irish (rashers, eggs, sausages, mushrooms/beans, black and white pudding, fried spuds, coffee and toast? I think value in some places is pretty poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

I think the closer you get to 10 euros, the more they can fekk off. I suppose around 8 euro is OK for the whole lot? Actually, I just remembered 2 other places: Red Rose Cafe on Parnell St. and Breda's Cafe on Broad street - wonder what they're like?

I seem to be very focused on the fry-up side of things...sorry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bredas is good. Pretty blue collar but good grub and decent value too.

I've never had the nerve to try the Red Rose cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Red Rose is great! Haven't been there in over 3 years but I doubt it's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Red Rose is incredibly greasy, too greasy for me anyway and I love a good fry up. It won't be as clean as the likes of John Street Deli either.

I Really miss the Sallyport it used to do the best breakfast in town.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I know its the wrong day, but for Sundays the Jasmine Palace buffet cannot be matched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Finnegan's breakfast is probably the best around, good, clean, fresh and hot. Free top ups of tea & coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Do you need to book the Jasmine Sunday buffet, is it busy?
    Fancy doing something different for a change on a Sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Pshan wrote: »
    Finnegan's breakfast is probably the best around, good, clean, fresh and hot. Free top ups of tea & coffee.

Great to hear they do something right, 'cos their lunches are sh1te, = sh1te food & sh1te service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I have never been to Finnegans for lunch, but i heard its one of the best places to go

Finnegans is far from exciting, but in fairness any time I've been there it's been pretty OK. I've had the mixed grill, caesar salad and homemade burger, all of which were acceptable for the price.
    Except for the chips of course. Usual cardboard crap. Javas in UL is one of the few places that do real chips occasionally (and it's only occasionally).
    Maybe Aubars do aswell, now that I think of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

+1 for Finnegans.

Also, Delish on Thoma St, although can be quite busy on a saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I have never been to Finnegans for lunch, but i heard its one of the best places to go

not the last time we visited & was so pissed off never stopped there again

cold soup after waiting 25 minutes waited another 20 minutes for main course & then got 2 incorrect dishes out of 4.

now days we just pass by & pull in the old mill in o'brien's bridge , service there can a little slow but grub is top class & always freshly cooked & piping hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

snowman707 wrote: »
    not the last time we visited & was so pissed off never stopped there again

cold soup after waiting 25 minutes waited another 20 minutes for main course & then got 2 incorrect dishes out of 4.

now days we just pass by & pull in the old mill in o'brien's bridge , service there can a little slow but grub is top class & always freshly cooked & piping hot.

Yeah bit fair out when you are on lunch break.

Advertisement