Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I have been a long time lurker of this forum but haven't been consistent in any way with my running but hopefully this time I will stick to regular runs.

Some history first- I took up running for the first time about 2.5 years ago. Have never been sporty in any way but everytime I saw someone out jogging I would say 'some day that will be me'. So I finally got out and started running- actually very slow jogging with lots of walking would probably describe it better! I managed to run 4 times a week for a good few weeks and was delighted to see rapid improvements in times, distances and my weight. Ran a few 10ks but some how I let it all go and stopped running for a few months.

So every now and then I get back into running and it lasts a few weeks then I give up and get lazy for a few weeks before starting again.

This time though I have a serious long term goal- the Dublin Marathon 09.

Little steps hopefully will get me there and the first is to get into a routine where I manage to get out running 3/4 times a week. Im also concentrating on increasing distance slowly too.

Remember I am pretty slow and unfit so please dont laugh.

Here starts my training log:
    Yesterday - 4/11/08
    Ran 2.5 miles in the dark and freezing cold.

Today 5/11/08
    Ran 1.8 miles, walked 0.3 miles and ran 1.5 miles.
    3.3 miles running total

Any advice or motivational tips welcome guys:)

Oh also Im a 29 year old woman approx 10lbs over weight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hi
    Great to see you starting - I wish you all the best. I find it easier to get out when I have the proper gear (less excuses), so make sure you have all you need. Are there any shorter local races you can aim towards in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

I think it's important to get into a routine at the beginning. So pick what days of the week you will run and stick to them no matter what (unless you're sick or injured). Try to run at least 4 days per week - better to do a little often than one or two long runs. Stick at it, the first few months are usually the hardest.

I think joining a club is important too. But you can get started just getting into a routine and building a little bit of fitness before you worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats on coming out of the closet! You've done all of the hard work already, you don't need any advice, just keep going!!
    We will watch this thread regularly, just to make sure your training doesn't drop off. :P Keep on running..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Well done. One small step . . .etc. christeb idea of entering a shorter local race, maybe a 5k, in the nearish future will help keep you motivated. There will be times you'll feel lazy and won't want to do your run but once you get your running gear on a get out the front door you'll be happy.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey guys thanks a million for the responses. cfitz I know you are right about getting a routine and sticking to it. This has been my downfall in the past. Im pretty restricted when I can run as I have a 9 year old daughter but she goes Irish dancing 3 evenings a week so my plan is to run for some of that hour while she is gone. Im also off work every second wednesday so I'll do my run during the day while she is at school that day.

Im lucky in that my boyfriend has a treadmill at his place so I will plan to use it at least once a weekend when we stay there. That adds up to 4 runs per week. Fingers crossed I stick to it!

Krusty_Clown- you have my permission to give out to me if I seem to be getting lazy again!

christeb- I think your right about having a closer race to aim for. Im from Clare though and there doesnt seem to be that much going on for the winter months. The closest race I know of is a 10k in Adare next March. I'll do some research to see if there is anything sooner.

5k races scare me though as its a much faster pace than 10ks (my best 10k time after 7 races is 62 mins:o)

By the way Im walking around like an old wan after my run this morning- stretched after the run but Im still creaking around the place!!

• Advertisement

Between work and home stuff I wont be able to run on Thursdays so today was a rest day for me.

Still this morning I was thinking I would love to be able to get out as Im so full of motivation right now. This evening was a different story- I was so glad I didnt have to go out in the miserable rain. No matter what the weather tomorrow evening I will run while the sprog is at dancing. God I hope its not raining!!

EEK enthusiasm (sp??) is waining!! How am I going to get myself out for my run this evening? Its totally miserable out there

Bally8 wrote: »
    EEK enthusiasm (sp??) is waining!! How am I going to get myself out for my run this evening? Its totally miserable out there
    Critical eyes are watching. :cool:
    :)

Running in perfect weather is easy. Running in bad weather is just as easy, you just have to motivate yourself to get out the door. But you'll feel a lot better for having done a run in bad weather. Just you, against the elements!
    Just do it... swish...

Ha ha thanks Krusty. I know you are totally right. I'll be grand once Im out there and even more delighted when I finish :D

I just said to one of my students- 'I think I should stay in by the fire instead of running tonight' and she said 'oh yes you wouldnt want to get sick'. I think in the past I would have used this as an excuse to ease my conscience and stay in. NOT the new motivated me though!

Thank you boards.ie!!

I did it, I went out for a run even though my fire was begging me to sit beside it for the night. Even as I stood on my front door step, kitted out and ready to go, I almost turned around and went back in. But I'm so glad I didnt. Its definately the training log that motivated me to head out in this horrible weather.

2.5miles in 25mins. Not breaking any records here but as it used to take me 11 mins to run a mile, I'm definately making progress. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Remember I am pretty slow and unfit so please dont laugh.

Here starts my training log:
    Yesterday - 4/11/08
    Ran 2.5 miles in the dark and freezing cold.

Today 5/11/08
    Ran 1.8 miles, walked 0.3 miles and ran 1.5 miles.
    3.3 miles running total

Any advice or motivational tips welcome guys:)

The first thing that got me when I read this log was you went out and ran two and a half miles when it was dark and freezing. That's motivation right there, and if you keep that up, you'll reach all the goals you set. Best of luck, and enjoy the training!

Oh also Im a 29 year old woman approx 10lbs over weight
    Thats a matter of opinion:)

Just about to pop on the treadmill, planning to cover 4 miles with a small bit of walking in the middle. Im a bit scared though as I have this pain on the outside of my right knee that I've never experienced before. I've had shin splints last January and sometimes get little niggly pains in my hips etc but never anything with my knees.

Sur I'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed its ok as I really dont want to take time off running after just 4 days back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2.5miles in 25mins. Not breaking any records here but as it used to take me 11 mins to run a mile, I'm definately making progress. :D
    Still faster than me :pac:
    My training pace is outside 11min/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just about to pop on the treadmill, planning to cover 4 miles with a small bit of walking in the middle. Im a bit scared though as I have this pain on the outside of my right knee that I've never experienced before. I've had shin splints last January and sometimes get little niggly pains in my hips etc but never anything with my knees.

Important to listen to your body, especially if you have a history of injury. Injuries happen more easily as you increase your training load, so you should watch this carefully.

When you had shin splints, did you seek professional help (i.e. physiotherapist)? They can identify any imbalance that you may have and suggest a solution. I used to get niggly hip and thigh pains when I started running, saw a physio about it, and turns out it all came from low arches and was solved by orthotics and specific stretching routine. No injuries since.

Just as there is always someone faster than you, there is also always someone slower than you. Just remember, you're faster than 90% of the population, who don't run at all. So you're in the top 10%. :)

Peckham wrote: »
    When you had shin splints, did you seek professional help (i.e. physiotherapist)? They can identify any imbalance that you may have and suggest a solution. I used to get niggly hip and thigh pains when I started running, saw a physio about it, and turns out it all came from low arches and was solved by orthotics and specific stretching routine. No injuries since.

Lasted just 1 mile, had to stop- pain was awful in the knee. I have a friend who is a physiotherapist so I'm going to ring him now and see can he do anything for me. I didnt see anyone before for shin splints but the guy at the gym told me to just rest it for while and it would get better- took more than 4 weeks to get back to normal. I know it happened because it was January and I took off like a mad woman full of New Years intentions- too much too soon.

I really must get my feet checked to see what category I fall into and see if I need special runners. I went to this place before that advertised this amazing equipment that would find out which runners were best for you. It was pretty far away from where I lived so I rang first to see if they had the equipment in the shop, the woman said yes. Drove all the way there to be told that yes they have the equipment but no one in the shop was trained to use it:mad: Ended up buying my trusted asics but that was last April so I definately need new ones by now.

Thanks peckham, Ill get on to the physio now

I wouldnt worry at all about your pace- it took me over 2 years to get to 10 minute miles:o

So thats Week 1 down. I managed to run 9.3 miles in total.

Im proud of the fact that I did 4 runs, went out on 2 cold wet nights and was enthuastic and motivated all week.

Im pi**ed off though as Im sitting here with an ice pack on my knee. Physio says its a tendon and I have to rest for a few days. I dont mind that too much but Im just embarrassed at how patheticly unfit I must be. I mean the most I ran in one go was 2.5 miles and my body isnt able for it! How will I be able for 15-20 mile runs when I cant even manage 3?

I suppose the plus side is I have ages to build up my legs and get to a point where I am able for long runs.

I wonder if this log should be over in the fitness forum- Im not really in training for anything yet but my intention is to eventually be ready for the Dublin marathon next year. So I hope people dont mind me continuing to post here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I wonder if this log should be over in the fitness forum- Im not really in training for anything yet but my intention is to eventually be ready for the Dublin marathon next year. So I hope people dont mind me continuing to post here:)

You're in the right place here then - most of us have been where you are, and have got ourselves to a marathon start line (and more importantly, a marathon finish line!).

So I have been resting my sore knee since Saturday evening. Spoke to a physio friend on the phone and he said I should take 2 to 3 days rest then I should be fine to run again. I decided to take 3 days off to be sure so the plan is to run maybe a mile later to see how the knee is feeling.

The problem is I'm still in a lot of pain sometimes with it. Its not constant but everynow and then it feels like the side of my knee is about to burst open! Not sure what to do- should I give myself another day or two rest or just get out there?

• Advertisement

So Week 2 was a bit of a disaster. My knee hurt all week and I was afraid to run in case I made it worse. I think the cold dark nights also stopped me from running too :o. Today I decided to have a short run to see how I felt.

I walked half a mile and than ran a mile. Stopped running then as my knee was starting to feel uncomfortable. Walked another half mile.

Im not sure what to do next. My next run is planned for Tuesday. I think I'll do the same as today again. I feel a bit pathetic doing so little but I dont want to damage anything so Im taking it nice and easy.

Any advice?

Covered 1.8 miles this evening. Walking and running as the knee is still acting up. Half a mile is the most I can run before it starts to feel like something is going to pop out the side of my kneecap. Meeting my physio friend tomorrow so I'll know more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Definitely get that knee looked at, no point in having to cut all your training sessions short. You need to find out what's wrong and how to go about recovering from it.

Had a good session with the physiotherapist this evening. He says its the IT band and as the weakest point is closest to the knee thats why Im getting the pain there. He worked on the area for a good while- it was bodering on torture but Im glad I finally got it seen to. He said I was extremely flexible which can somtimes be a problem as even though I stretch when I run I have to stretch more than most to get any effect from it. So he showed my some new stretches I have to do as often as I can every day and as for running- it has to be put on the backboiler for a little while :(

So training log is on hold for a while but I will definitely be back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Can ye get out and walk in the meantime? It'd be good to keep up some sort of activity, so then when the ITB is that bit stronger, you won't be starting fresh again.

I saw that you asked on another thread about earphones. If you're looking for a cheap pair that won't fall out, maybe check out Argos:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5343470/Trail/searchtext%3EHEADPHONES.htm

Thanks for that Roddy23, those earphones look the job, I'll get myself a pair this weekend. I think that's a good idea about going for walks instead for a while. I was going to do nothing at all but thats just silly, I know I would end up getting very lazy again. I think I'll just rest the leg completely over the weekend and go out for walks instead of runs next week.

What a beautiful evening! Went for a half hour walk. Was dying to run but I know its too early so managed to reign myself in. Kneee feels fine, stretching and ice (almost) every day.

Went for a 45min walk today. Still aching to run. Knee was fine all day but feels a bit funny now. Im going to rest it tomorrow again.

Ran yesterday for the first time in 11 days. Walked 0.5 miles, ran 0.5 than walked another 0.5. Knee felt totally fine. I wanted to go for longer but I know I have to ease myself back into things so stuck to what the physio advised me. Delighted to be back running though.

• Advertisement

This training log sucks!

I have had a crazy stomach bug thing all week that has stopped me from getting any runs in. Im very dizzy and woozy so decided it would be best not to run until Im better. Hopefully that will be tomorrow. Cant wait to be back on track. I think I've only ran about 6 times since I started this log!

Advertisement