Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Depressed much!!

Visit to physio didnt go so well. I had hoped he would say it was all ok and the achilles pain was normal for my milage. But no its not, he cant say if I will be ok to do the marathon. Said I have to work with him to see if we can improve it. No running this week- what will I do tomorrow? I dont think I have missed a wednesday run since the start of the year!!
    God I hope he says I can do the 18 miler at the weekend. I have to put my leg in a bucket of cold water for 20 mins every 2 hours until I see him again on Thursday. Im a bit shell shocked- I Have to run this marathon!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*hugs*

*sends healing vibes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

noooooo.

Hope this sorts itself out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Gosh Bally8 sorry to hear this :( Physio again today? How'd it go?

If the outcome isn't what you hoped maybe you could start a plan B (a la Asimonov) and aim for a later marathon somewhere that will mean a nice weekend away for you, OH and daughter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Good luck at the physio. Hopefully all the cold water has done some good to it and you have good news today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Oh no! After all your hard work! Fingers crossed you'll get some good news at the physio today, good luck.

Thanks so much guys your support means so much to me as no one in the real world here understands how disappointing all this is for me.

Physio yesterday said I still cant run. So no 18 miles for me this weekend and nothing at all allowed until I see him again next Tuesday evening. Fingers crossed he will say I can run again. That will be 11 days with no exercise. Im scared now that even if he says I can run I will have lost fitness and I dont know how to fit the 18 miles and 20 into the time remaining.

Im getting ahead of myself here though- I just have to wait and see what he says Tuesday. Really hope he says thats the last session- I cant afford much more. Still icing every 2 hours when possible.

Thanks again guys

8 days no running and counting! I went for a cycle yesterday, a short easy one- that was all Im allowed to do. I actually cried this evening. I was talking to my OH trying to put a brave face on it saying "sure its not the end of the world if I cant do it, I'll look for a Spring marathon" but even as I said it it didnt believe it and burst out crying. After Tuesday I have to run. I think if the physio says no running for another week then thats it, game over. I cant miss 2 weeks at this stage right?

I've put on 1.5lbs in the last week- ate chinese food 3 times and am pigging out constantly as I feel so sorry for myself. Really have to cop on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Bally8 wrote: »
    . I cant miss 2 weeks at this stage right?
    I've put on 1.5lbs in the last week- ate chinese food 3 times and am pigging out constantly as I feel so sorry for myself. Really have to cop on!

I've missed 3 weeks out of the last 5 and still have a niggling injury. I have put on at least 4 pounds in that time. Fingers crossed but I am sure either way you'll be fine, it's not ideal though. My form has certainly suffered.

Bally8 are you allowed to go swimming? Throughout all my various skiing/snowboarding/breakdancing (yes, really) injuries over the years my phyios have always encouraged me to keep up the swimming, even one time when I had a tear in my meniscus. Might help keep you sane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hey bally8, that's really tough.

I think that your number 1 priority has to be recovery from the injury, and then see what is realistic for you to do In the time. In one way, I don't think stressing about dublin will help your body recover. Say for example you can't do Dublin, at this stage you've done the lions's share of the training you can either "bank" your new fitness level and aim for a spring marathon (maybe abroad or Connemara) or have a look and find one in november you'd like to do. The thing is, even in the worst case scenario all is not lost, it will take a concerted sitting on your ar$e effort to lose the gains you've made so far. Think of this as just another hurdle to overcome on the way to the finish line. You've survived this long without a marathon, a month or two isn't going to kill you; you're harder than that. Take the pressure off, get back running asap and whether it's Dublin, Paris, Rome or wherever, this will make it all the sweeter.

goofygirl wrote: »
    Bally8 are you allowed to go swimming? Throughout all my various skiing/snowboarding/breakdancing (yes, really) injuries over the years my phyios have always encouraged me to keep up the swimming, even one time when I had a tear in my meniscus. Might help keep you sane.

Yeah I am allowed swim and I really should have last weekend but I just did the one cycle and then sat on the couch and ate! I love swimming actually just have to take that first step getting back in the pool

asimonov wrote: »
    Hey bally8, that's really tough.

I think that your number 1 priority has to be recovery from the injury, and then see what is realistic for you to do In the time. In one way, I don't think stressing about dublin will help your body recover. Say for example you can't do Dublin, at this stage you've done the lions's share of the training you can either "bank" your new fitness level and aim for a spring marathon (maybe abroad or Connemara) or have a look and find one in november you'd like to do. The thing is, even in the worst case scenario all is not lost, it will take a concerted sitting on your ar$e effort to lose the gains you've made so far. Think of this as just another hurdle to overcome on the way to the finish line. You've survived this long without a marathon, a month or two isn't going to kill you; you're harder than that. Take the pressure off, get back running asap and whether it's Dublin, Paris, Rome or wherever, this will make it all the sweeter.

What you are saying makes so much sense and I really appreciate it. I just think that Im still feeling sorry for myself. I think once I talk to physio tomorrow I will know better whats happening next and if I cant do the marathon I will move on stronger and find a new goal until the next marathon comes along. Thanks a mill for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

First things first, good luck with the physio.

Now, lets get one thing clear. You have one achillies tendon in each leg. They have to last you a lifetime. But you potentially have a lifetime of running ahead of you. There are literally hundreds of marathons in some o the most amazing parts of Ireland and teh world to do. Rushing to do this one now could jeopardise your chances of running them. It really, really isn't worth it.

I know that potentially missing this race is a huge deal. And no-one in "the real world" will understand. But we will, so feel free to rant away (we promise not to point and giggle if your face goes purple when you are angry. Well not a lot anyway :))

And - unless and until that physio says a definite no (and we are giving him until the Bank Holiday weekend to do that) the assumption is that you are doing this race.

So now we go into damage limitation. STOP EATING CRAP. It won't help your recovery and won't help you run a marathon. Eat clean, your body needs the good stuff. Get plenty of rest, your body is working hard to repair itself so start giving it the tools to help rather than hinder.

And you have developed a strong base level of fitness. You are now - wonky heel apart - fit enough to run a marathon. So we need to make sure you maintain as much of that fitness as you can. Get back in that bloody pool and swim. And ask your physio about aqua jogging - running in teh pool, maintains fitness but without placing weight on the body. You'll look like a plonker but Paula Radcliff does it, so thats ok.

And above all believe in yourself. I can't hear any fat ladies singing so dust yourself off and get busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

You must be seriously pissed off right now, thats really crap. Especially with all the hard work and great progress you've been making. I can really sense the frustration from reading your post. But as the others said, you don't know yet whether it's a no-go, just do everything the physio tells you to do and hopefully it will be better news for you soon. The body can do some amazing healing especially with help from the physio. I'll be thinking positive thoughts and keeping fingers toes and legs crossed for you!! Take care.

I'll be thinking positive thoughts and keeping fingers toes and legs crossed for you!!

Thanks Krankykitty I laughed at the toe and leg crossing:)

First things first, good luck with the physio.

Now, lets get one thing clear. You have one achillies tendon in each leg. They have to last you a lifetime. But you potentially have a lifetime of running ahead of you. There are literally hundreds of marathons in some o the most amazing parts of Ireland and teh world to do. Rushing to do this one now could jeopardise your chances of running them. It really, really isn't worth it.

I know that potentially missing this race is a huge deal. And no-one in "the real world" will understand. But we will, so feel free to rant away (we promise not to point and giggle if your face goes purple when you are angry. Well not a lot anyway :))

And - unless and until that physio says a definite no (and we are giving him until the Bank Holiday weekend to do that) the assumption is that you are doing this race.

So now we go into damage limitation. STOP EATING CRAP. It won't help your recovery and won't help you run a marathon. Eat clean, your body needs the good stuff. Get plenty of rest, your body is working hard to repair itself so start giving it the tools to help rather than hinder.

And you have developed a strong base level of fitness. You are now - wonky heel apart - fit enough to run a marathon. So we need to make sure you maintain as much of that fitness as you can. Get back in that bloody pool and swim. And ask your physio about aqua jogging - running in teh pool, maintains fitness but without placing weight on the body. You'll look like a plonker but Paula Radcliff does it, so thats ok.

And above all believe in yourself. I can't hear any fat ladies singing so dust yourself off and get busy.

Thanks Amadeus, I read your post last night just before I was about the raid the goodie press and it stopped me in my tracks (I only had one Time out instead of the whole packet:o) Anyway it really made me feel better. I realise I have been moaning and maybe a little over-dramatic about my injury. I think I would be lost without this forum.

So my visit to the physio was very positive. Im not out of the woods yet- he said 6 weeks of no running and only cycling and swimming would sort my injury out and I will be fully back on track. HOWEVER!!! He fully understands how much I want to run the marathon and said that if I take is slowly and continue to ice and take care of myself that MAYBE just MAYBE I can do it. So tomorrow I get to run 2 miles. Yippie! Im thrilled. If I have no pain I can run 3 on Thursday and 4 on Friday. I have to call him to let him know how Im doing and if all is ok he said to do the 18 miles on Sunday.

Tomorrow will be a big test. Im soooo excited!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Woohoo, delighted for you, brilliant news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Nice one! Sounds like a good physio, good luck with the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Delighted for you Bally8:D fingers crossed it all goes well for tomorrow !

• Advertisement

Well I did my 2 miles. I was actually scared beforehand but Im thrilled to report it went very well. I decided to use the treadmill and planned to do 2-3 minutes slower than normal at 5.5mph then up it to 6 but decided to stay at 5.5 for the 2 miles as the achilles was a little stiff to start off with and I didnt want to do any damage. After a few minutes it felt totally fine and when I got to 2 miles I knew I could have kept going if I wanted. Iced it afterwards and again this evening. Its a bit tender but maybe thats ok.

Will be talking to physio tomorrow and hopefully doing 3 miles. Yippie!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Delighted to hear it went well for ye. Hopefully that'll be the last of the scares and ye can push on from here and complete the big one next month.

3 miles today nice and slow (11 min miles). I rang my physio and was happy to report no pain. He said that he was happy for me to continue running on it so as long as I had no pain. I have decided to change my approach to the marathon. I never had an aim to do a great time- I always wanted to get around in 10.5/11 min miles and just get to the end in one piece. But my training often involved me pushing myself harder and harder. Im now going to take every training session very slowly and mind my achilles and on the day I will do the same. I think a 14 minute running 1 minute walking strategy for the entire race should do me.

Yippie Im talking about the marathon as if Im going to do it! Happy days:D

HOORAY! here's to you, me, the finish line and a well deserved drink afterward in the Conrad!

(I've been fantasising for months now about my post-marathon meal: I want chicken nuggets, chips stuck together in a clunky mass of salt and vinegar like you can only get in Dublin chippers and a can of Coke. Not Diet Coke, not Coke Zero, proper fizzy sugary caffeiney Coke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Woohoo! Delighted you're in one piece, onwards and upwards (very carefully of course :))

goofygirl wrote: »
    HOORAY! here's to you, me, the finish line and a well deserved drink afterward in the Conrad!

(I've been fantasising for months now about my post-marathon meal: I want chicken nuggets, chips stuck together in a clunky mass of salt and vinegar like you can only get in Dublin chippers and a can of Coke. Not Diet Coke, not Coke Zero, proper fizzy sugary caffeiney Coke)

Absolutly I cant wait to meet everyone and oh yes those chips sound fab. I'll be having some of those!

racheljev wrote: »
    Woohoo! Delighted you're in one piece, onwards and upwards (very carefully of course :))

Thanks Rachel, very carefully is how Im trying to do it. I did 4 miles this morning on the treadmill. It went very well no problems during the run. However Im very tender around thats achilles area now. Hurts to touch it, so I wont be touching it again:). I've iced it there and will do it again throughout the day. A bit nervous about this

I've really enjoyed reading all the accounts of the half marathon, next year Im going to find somebody's couch to crash on so I can do the race series too!

Did my 18 miles today. I had been very nervous about it as its been 3 weeks since my last really long run of 16 miles. I also hadnt ran on the road in 15 days and worried how my achilles would hold up. Well Im delighted to report it held up fantastically!!! Not a bother on it for the whole 3:10:30 of running. It took me about 6 miles to get into the run as usual, I always find those first 6 tough and get a break where everything is ok for a few miles after that. Today was the same. Once or twice going up hills I felt a little strain on the achilles but nothing major. I followed my new routine of 15 mins running 1 min walking throughout and it worked well for me- mentally as well as physically. I am going to do everything I can to nurse this injury to the finish line on the 26th.

Took my first gel at mile 6 and Im proud to report I ran while I took it and there was no retching or crying or any of the drama from before. No time lost there at all. However at mile 11 my legs died. They just didnt want to go anymore. It was like my thighs didnt want to lift them. I kind of shuffeled on at that point only to get an unmercyful stitch for about 2 miles but after that my legs started working again and from mile 13 to 17 I was back on track- maybe the second gel was the reason for that. The last mile was hell. My foot started to cramp so I had to stop and stretch and I found each step more difficult than the last, and that mile seemed to go on forever. But I kept going and finally made it back to the car.

I cant believe my body let me do this. Im thrilled. I used today as a rehearsal for the day- carb loaded yesterday, went to bed early, up at 7 for my porridge, started running at nine. Will do the same next week for the 20 miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff! :D

*highfive*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Yesssss, brilliant, I'm feckin delighted for you. In your face injuries. 3:10 on your feet, that's no mean feat at all and not far off sub430 pace if I'm doing my sums right. Great news though.

Advertisement