Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done, that's brilliant! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Holy moley! Bally8 that is a sensational time particularly given all your recent injury woes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant brilliant brilliant Bally8 :D I was waiting for your update and had fingers crossed you'd be ok. (this internet community thing is weird isn't it).
    No bother to you in ...what is it... 4 weeks time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great stuff Bally8 - looks like things are on track for the marathon. Hopefully will meet yourself and some of the other boardsies afterwards. I'd say the most likely location for this to happen (as per goofygirl's post) + no doubt a few hundred other post-marathoners is in the greasiest chipper within spitting distance of the finish line!

Hope the build-up goes well. Great work in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Fan-friggin-tastic Bally8!!

You are doing amazing and not far away from taper time!! Oooo the excitement and anticipation - you'd get drunk on it!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks a million for all the support guys- I'd be lost without ye. Getting very exciting now. Was hobbling around work yesterday so had to tell my students what was going on as they were looking at me funny while I moaned and groaned around the classroom. The looks on their faces when I said I had ran 18 miles, they couldnt believe it. A half hour conversation about the marathon followed and no work done for that class.

Its all I talk about now with everyone, everywhere I go. I cant keep my mouth shut. I think its because I still cant believe Im doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all the support guys- I'd be lost without ye. Getting very exciting now. Was hobbling around work yesterday so had to tell my students what was going on as they were looking at me funny while I moaned and groaned around the classroom. The looks on their faces when I said I had ran 18 miles, they couldnt believe it. A half hour conversation about the marathon followed and no work done for that class.

Its all I talk about now with everyone, everywhere I go. I cant keep my mouth shut. I think its because I still cant believe Im doing this.
    Welcome to the world of the running bore. I really have to watch myself closely, as I'd happily talk about running for hours and hours, and now that the OH has upped her distance, she's the same. The poor kids don't even get a look in. ;o) That's why Boreds is so handy. You can get it all off your chest. :).

Great running by the way. It's just around the corner now!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

It is fantastic to see you back in action again Bally8. That was some running over the weekend, well done. Sometimes an enforced rest can do a world of good. Just be careful this week and dont aggravate? (I hope I spelt that right, teacher!) the injury. This time 4 weeks you will be planning your next marathon! Great stuff, keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Everything going ok Bally8? Where are you gone to? Its been a week since your last confession........Im doing the marathon through you so I hope all is ok ;)

MarieC wrote: »
    Everything going ok Bally8? Where are you gone to? Its been a week since your last confession........Im doing the marathon through you so I hope all is ok ;)

Ha ha through me? Talk about pressure!!

I had a brutal week last week and couldnt bring myself to admit it to everyone on here. I felt stupid as I had just posted how everything was back on track and here I was injured again. After the 18miles last Sunday I was wrecked, my body was broken, every part hurt and this continued until Wednesday really. I was driving my partner mad- asking do you think I could have torn both my hamstrings? Do you think my achilles is gone again? Do you think I have a broken bone in my foot?

I tried running on Tuesday night but it hurt so much - the fronts and backs both my thighs were in agony. I pushed through it for 3.7 miles then had to stop. The next day I had the weirdest feeling in my left foot all day. Waves of pain that kept me awake that night.So I didnt even attempt my 10 miles, just sat around feeling very sorry for myself. Woke up Thursday completely fine! Not an ache or pain to be felt anywhere so I ran 5.8 miles.

Yesterday was the 20 miles and it went really well. 3:30:44. Im very happy with that time and also I feel like I still had something left in the tank at the end, I wasnt spent like last weeks 18 miler when I had nothing at all left in the end. Dont get me wrong, it was very tough but not as bad as the previous lsr.

So this week I hope to get all the planned runs in. Its been a loooooonnng time since I managed that. Fingers crossed. I am very nervous about the big day. because I got injured an missed a lot of runs I feel like Im very much behind where I should be. BUT I cant change that so I will do my best for the 3 taper week and hopefully I will make it to the finish in one piece.

Also thanks everyone for your good wishes, it really means a lot to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Christ, sounds like you had a severe case of Premature Post taper madness last week altogether :D. Great to hear you got your 20 miles in, in fairness that was the big one and the other runs you missed were just small fry in comaparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

brilliant stuff bally8, I was getting a little worried when you slipped under the radar there for a week, you are getting closer woohoo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Brilliant stuff Bally8! I was just wondering about you this morning too. You're practically on the finish line now ;)

Week 16 HH Training
    Wednesday 7th Oct
    9 miles today in 1:30:58. I wanted to try pick up the pace in this run but straight away I knew that wasnt going to happen. I think my body took at least 2 miles to warm up as it was very chilly. Also my legs were very heavy so I resigned myself to waddling along for todays run. I can try running faster on the tready tomorrow. However after 8 miles I still had a mile to go to get back to my car so I decided to go for it an pushed the pace. It took me 9:18 when I was doing an average of 10:12 for all the other miles so even though I wasnt flying it I was thrilled to be able to run at a faster pace for a whole mile.

My aim for next year is to work on my speed over shorter distances and Im really looking forward to it as well as more long distance stuff too of course. I didnt run last night as I was wrecked after work and probably from the 20 miles on Sunday. I think I will do 5 miles tomorrow if I can after work, then 4 on Friday and the 12 miles on Sat or Sunday. If I do that I will have managed all the training runs for the week.

Achilles- what achilles? Woohoo!:D

Have been finding it tricky to find time to keep up with everything here on boards, trying to sneek this post in at work before I take a class at 2.

Friday 9th October
    5 miles on the treadmill. Messed around with speed a bit. Very very sweaty!

Sat 10th October
    4 miles on treadmill. Pushed the speed again and took no walking breaks for the first time since my lay off with achilles injury.

Sunday 11th October
    12 horrible horrible miles. Didnt want to go out, didnt like a minute of it. Felt all sorry for myself and spent most of the run thinking about how lonely my marathon training has been and how it has been this forum that has kept me going. Im glad I went out and did the run- physically there were no problems just mentally I was gone.

Will post more on my musings later...

I felt the same as you on the 12 mile on sunday. Beforehand it seems like such a nothing run with all the 20s and 18's done previously, but after 6 or 7 miles you ask yourself 'do i really need to do this?'.
    Anyway fair play to you for finishing- it shows great mental strength to keep going when you couldn't really be bothered. I aborted after 9 miles, disappointed with myself in fairness for showing some mental weakness.

Wednesday 14th October
    4 miles on treadmill. I was too tired yesterday to run after work so I have decided to move this weeks runs around a bit to fit in with all that is going on at home and work. Im still a bit low today, although the run went well I feel fat and unfit and not ready for the marathon. Im not controlling my diet as much as I thought I would. But on the other hand I know this is all probably due to taper madness.

Wednesday 14th October
    4 miles on treadmill. I was too tired yesterday to run after work so I have decided to move this weeks runs around a bit to fit in with all that is going on at home and work. Im still a bit low today, although the run went well I feel fat and unfit and not ready for the marathon. Im not controlling my diet as much as I thought I would. But on the other hand I know this is all probably due to taper madness.

you've got the madness bally8

check this out - 391 miles, the work is done, look past the madness

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This week|Total miles Overall | Comments
    Sub430|3|22|339|Fingers crossed that's the injuries over :)|
    Rainbow|3|14|356|Fcuking awful, not there mentally at all.|
    Mr Marenghi|2|32|366|Did my 20miler at the start of this week so less sessions done, plus I was away for a day or two - but 20 went really well and so did 12miler today !|
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|4|30|391.5|Best week since I got injured|
    Goofygirl|4|29|432|brrr it's chilly out|
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|4|27|466|feel a bit of a cold coming on :(|
    Shadyladee|||||

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wednesday 14th October

I am *EXACTLY* the same. Bloody taper madness...

I am *EXACTLY* the same. Bloody taper madness...

*spooky haunted voice* loook beyoond the maaaadness

• Advertisement

Yeah I am exactly the same, up and down, it's an emotional roller coaster :pac:

Thanks guys. Its mad really- all we have achieved and here we are 12 days before the big day feeling unprepared and all over the place. We will be awsome on the day- I do actually believe that deep down somewhere.

In other news the weekend of the marathon is a bit complicated for me. My OH and I were invited to a wedding in Mayo on the Sat the 24th. Thats 3.5 hours drive from here, then we would have to drive from Mayo to Dublin on the Sunday to get to the expo. I decided a while back that I wouldnt go but my OH has to really as its one of his closest friends. This means that I will have to travel to Dublin all by myself on the Sunday-eek!!:eek::eek:. Its probably best that he is gone away for a few days as Im driving him mad already with my taper madness and before that my constant running talk. He will be going to Mayo on the Friday and joining me in Dublin on the Sunday. I will be travelling to Clare on Saturday to drop my daughter to my parents then home to spend the day alone before getting the bus to Dublin at 10 on Sunday morning. This mightnt sound complicated to you but I have a feeling I am going to be close to exploding with stress. I have found the marathont training lonely and think spending the Sat before it alone will be extra lonely as everyone else will be off at the wedding.

I will probably be sitting here glued to the computer depending on all yer support so ye better be there!!:)

Ok sorry thats enough ranting for one night...

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hi Bally8,

I'm going to be driving up on the Sunday from Limerick if you fancy a lift? Looks like we'll be doing similar times on the day. My brother decided to get married on the 24th which is a bit of a disaster as I'm going to have to stay sober and have an early night!!! But if you fancy travelling together on Sunday just let me know.

Blueskye

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Wednesday 14th October

I'm glad I'm not alone!! I've been sleeping really badly the past few nights, eating all around me and worrying about a niggle in my glutes/hip. I'm putting it down to taper madness too. Bring on the 26th already!! Watched Spirit of the Marathon last night and it was great, a real motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Blueskye wrote: »
    Hi Bally8,

I'm going to be driving up on the Sunday from Limerick if you fancy a lift? Looks like we'll be doing similar times on the day. My brother decided to get married on the 24th which is a bit of a disaster as I'm going to have to stay sober and have an early night!!! But if you fancy travelling together on Sunday just let me know.

Blueskye

In other news the weekend of the marathon is a bit complicated for me. My OH and I were invited to a wedding in Mayo on the Sat the 24th.....

I will probably be sitting here glued to the computer depending on all yer support so ye better be there!!:)

Ok sorry thats enough ranting for one night...

What's the deal with all the weddings that weekend? I'm going to one in Clare, albeit on Friday the 23rd, which gives me an extra day.... kind of... altho there's talk of the by now omnipresent "day after celebrations".... so I will be gunning for the expo on the sunday too.

I will have a few beers on the friday, but I know i'll be thinking of the marathon as the night draws to a close, and feeling guilty!.

Bally8 - there will be loads of support for you on the Sunday night - you need not worry. Boards will be the best place to be I'd say!:)

Blueskye wrote: »
    Hi Bally8,

Blueskye

Thanks Blueskye thats really nice of you to offer. I think Im sorted though- 2 guys I know from Clare are doing the marathon too and said they will pick me up on the way.

Fri 16th Oct
    3 miles on treadmill. Pushed the speed again which I now know was not a good idea. I forgot that I am supposed to be minding my achilles and easing myself through the last weeks for training. As it hasnt been hurting in a while I started pushing the pace and now its very sore again. Iced it and prayed it would be better on Saturday

Sat 17th Oct
    7 miles on stinky Nenagh bypass. A sewerage (sp?) pipe had burst and the smell was brutal- I could barely breath at times and got sick in my mouth a little! Gross. Anyway the first 3 miles were terrible, I was planning to stop when I passed my car but then the same thing happened that happened in lots of my training runs- everything clicked into place and I ended up doing 7 miles instead of the planned six as I felt so good. Only 2 negative things though- I was bursting to pee for the last 2 miles- it was pure torture but probably made me run faster (I beat my best time for 7 miles by 47 seconds).

The biggest problem with the run was my achilles- it was niggly and sore for the whole run and Im having shooting pains in it all evening. Back to icing regularly for me from now until the marathon. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Are many of ye pacing with the 4.30 pace group? For those that are - i have to pop over to the group before the race starts to say hi. Weird that you can feel like you know people from eading a log!!!

Hi ULstudent, I will probably be over by the 4.30 group at the start but I'm nowhere near fast enough to run with them so will just be saying hi.

• Advertisement

Didnt run the 8 miler today. Im worried about my achilles as it hurt all night. Im shattered tired too, not sleeping well these nights at all. I will be fine though, will rest until the big day.

Advertisement