Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

haha meant to post this in the 4.30 thread ... random!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Bally8 wrote: »
    Didnt run the 8 miler today. Im worried about my achilles as it hurt all night. Im shattered tired too, not sleeping well these nights at all. I will be fine though, will rest until the big day.

Yes bally8, rest up, I'll maybe do just the one 4 - 5 mile run on Thursday or that, practically there now anyway, really hope that Achilles is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

just saw your other post there. Rest and eat well. Few days can do the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks guys. I rested from Saturday until today when I ran 4 miles on the treadmill. For the first mile I thought I wouldnt be able to do more than 2 then by the time I reached 4 I felt great and felt like I could have kept going and going. Slight pain in my achilles but nothing major and not sure if it was in my head really.

Im very very very very nervous about the marathon. Havent been excited about it yet, Im worrying too much about a million and one silly things. Just getting to my hotel in Dublin will be a truama for me- I have never been in Dublin on my own before. Silly I know- Im a 30 year old woman- but I dont think I will be able to relax until Im in my hotel room on Sunday night with my number pinned to my singlet, my pasta dinner ate and there is nothing else to do but sleep before the big day.

I have two big concerns about the marathon itself. Firstly Im afraid that I might fall or get caught up somehow in someone elses legs at the start as I've never ran in race over 1000 people before and even in that one I started too far back and had to dodge and weave my way past people- very scary. My biggest worry though is needing to use the bathroom during the race. I have had this problem during a lot of my long runs of needing to pee badly. On my 20 miler I needed to go from about mile 4. I finally passed a garage at 11 miles and ran to the door, it was locked, ran into the shop, begged for the key, ran to the toilet, fumbled with the key for ages and finally got to the toilet. God it was heaven, the most relief I have ever felt!!!

With all the stories on here of long queues even out on the course Im worried I might explode somewhere!

On a more positive note my wonderful, patient and understanding OH who must be driven insane by my constant marathon talk suprised me by putting a good luck message in our local newspaper today. My daughter also made me a care saying she hopes I win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

hi bally 8,
    Been following your thread the past while- am running myself on Monday too. Dont worry bout queues for the loo, before the start any of the coffee shops, hotels etc let runners in. Also, as long as u queue up in time at the portaloos beside the bag drop area its grand. I used the loo at the gate into the phoenix park on marathon 1 about 3.5 miles in (nerves), there was no queue at all. and the last year i made a pit stop at milltown and no queues their either. I am half excited but really nervous about monday too!
    Best of luck on Monday, :D

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Jenfer that is really reassuring. Its silly really worring about something like that but I think if I know I will be fine and get to go if I need to then I dont have much else to worry about. The training is done, nothing much more we can do now but wait for the big day. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jenfer

I too am fretting over things that I know wil be fine on the day. A friend of mine who has done a few marathons gave me one piece of advice if I was feeling low at any point during the first marathon- just 'keep putting one foot in front of the other!' I remember repeating it for about a mile around mile 22 but it kept me moving in the right direction!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Don't drink too much water before the off- there'll be lots of fluids on offer all the way round, no point drinking so much that you have to pee just before the gun. If you gotta go, the Phoenix Park is between miles 6-8, and you'll notice loads of women and men dashing into the bushes for a quick pee.

Best of luck on the big day, I've admired your determination since you started this log, I've no doubt that you'll get your reward on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I dont think I will be able to relax until Im in my hotel room on Sunday night with my number pinned to my singlet, my pasta dinner ate and there is nothing else to do but sleep before the big day.

....and book a wake up call after setting 2 alarms ;), best of luck on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Nearly there Bally8, we're nearly there... The miles are done, the legs are ready, let's just get the head right and we'll be sorted...

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Nearly there Bally8, we're nearly there... The miles are done, the legs are ready, let's just get the head right and we'll be sorted...

You're right rachel. I have just decided to stop all this silly worrying. We can do this!!! Positive mental attitude!:D

(Although I've just read your log from this mornings run and am a bit scared about my last run tomorrow!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

You know what I think I'm probably as nervous and excited as the rest of you who are actually running the damn thing :rolleyes: I know a few people IRL doing it too and everybody is getting the jitters at this stage. You'll be fine Bally8 ... as they say deep breaths and one foot in front of the other....

I'm counting on your experience/ report etc to help me prepare for next year ;) so go out there and give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Wishing you the very best of luck on Monday Bally8, you've put in so much blood sweat and tears for this and I hope you really enjoy running past the finish line! I will be dying to hear how you got on :)

Thanks ladies, its getting very real now. I should be packing right now but just spent a while there writing my name on my singlet with black marker and making a mess of it. Then did the final cut of the toenails. My OH is heading off to Mayo till he meets me in Dublin on Sunday so he is going to bring my stuff in the car so I dont have to lug a big bag onto the bus. I torn between giving him my runners and clothes for monday or should I keep them with me so I know they are safe. Im a bit giddy though so cant settle down to packing yet. I have the sniffles now and a very itchy eye:eek:, I think Im going slightly mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

I have the sniffles now and a very itchy eye:eek:, I think Im going slightly mental.

That made me laugh out loud! Brilliant! Bally8 you are in for such a treat on Monday. A rollercoaster of emotions. You will quickly see why you had to do so many months of training to get through it as everything will be put in to use. Enjoy it, savour it, experience it, all your training will have prepared you for just about every thought, occurrance, feeling, and if you start to stray or doubt yourself, think all of the "strangers" here on Boards AC who have the utmost confidence in you! This goes to everyone who is doing their first marathon and/or this time last year running scared them. What ye are about to do is an unbelieveable achievement.

So dont itch your eye just plough on!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Arnied

Best of luck with the race Bally8, I am sure you will be great given all the quality training you have put in. I will keep an eye out for a smudged singlet from the side lines. Sounds like taper madness is taking over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Can't wait to meet you on Bally8 and no, you are not being any more mental or neurotic than any of the rest of us. I brought every single piece of my running gear in my hand luggage because God forbid my luggage would go missing en route. So yes, when I was clearing security and I had to put all my liquid into one of those plastic bags I had about a million energy gels. The security man was just looking at me like I was mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

G'luck bally8, don't forget to enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck Bally8

Thanks SOOOO much everyone for taking the time to come on here and wish me good luck. I was only saying to a friend today that I know, like really really know that I would not have completed my training and gotten here if it wasnt for the ART forum. Its amazing how much support 'strangers' can give you. I really want to do a great run and do eveyone proud. The nerves are kind of gone now as I did a 2.2 mile run on the treadmill and felt great. Nothing hurt, nothing went wrong, it was fun. So Im getting very excited now. Still havent packed my stuff for the morning. Still dont know what exactly to eat tonight or where I will eat tomorrow once I hit Dublin. But hey it will all work out.

• Advertisement

Hey bally8, like you I would not have had the continued motivation had it not been for ART.

I also have some respite from the nerves tonight, just really really excited.

The best of luck to you bally8, you have been a great support to everyone aswell, thanks, see you afterwards

Freaking out!!!!!!

Im here in the hotel after going to the expo. My achilles is killing me, it is sooo tender to touch, Im very worried. However even when it was at its worst a few weeks back the pain went after a few miles so hopefully it will do the same tomorrow. My head is racing, I cant think straight aaarrgh!

Best of luck to everyone Im off to eat some pasta- yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*hugs*

You'll be ok. It's all in your head at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck Bally8, hope the achilles is ok. Enjoy the pasta and more importantly, enjoy the race!

So I ran a marathon today- WOOHOO. God I hurt so bad now. Im broken.

Slept less than 3 hours last night but that didnt seem to affect me too much. I was delighted to meet Rainbow Kirby at the start and we went off together (ahead of the 4.30 pacers, what was I thinking!) Big rookie mistake for me anyway- way way too fast. I also forgot to start my stopwatch until over 6 mins in so I was never really sure of my time. I took my first walk break after about 20 mins and Rainbow ran on. (Well done RK by the way you totally rock). Although the company was great I was happy to be on my own too and go at my own pace. I soon sliped behind the 4.30 pacers and let them go as per the plan.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the first 10 miles, I felt great, was happy with my pace, high fived a load of kids and loved the Phoenix park. Im so glad I wrote my name on the front of my singlet- I got roars of "Come on Anita " the whole way round and it felt amazing, really kept me going.

I started to hurt after mile 10 though, niggles in my foot and achilles turned into pain at times but I managed to ignore it and continue. I roughly kept to a 15 min running, 1 min walking schedule. Met my OH at mile 12. It was great to see him. He had gels, drinks, painkillers- everything I needed and I quickly went on my way.

The middle few miles a a blur- I found it very tough but waddled on. I know I slowed considerably from half way and at times wondered if I was still actually running! I walked all the hills. I missed some of the mile markers and as I dont know Dublin at all I had no idea where they might be. I was thrilled to meet my OH again at mile 18 and 23. He ran most of the last 3 miles near me. I couldnt talk to him by then though. I was expecting to hit the wall at mile 20 but thankfully I didnt, I just got slower and slower and slower. I had to walk alot in the last 3 miles but by then I didnt care about a time. I was just determined to make it to the end.

The crowds at the end were brilliant, people shouting "Come on Anita, well done etc." really kept me going and I even managed a sprint finish. I nearly cried at the end, I was so proud of myself.

So thats it, I did it. 4:52:36 chip time. A bit disappointed it doesnt sound better but I will definately come back next year to beat it.

Dublin City Marathon supporters are amazing!!! They really made the day for me

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

congratulations, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats! Was great to get to see you at the start too :D

hi bally8, I've been waiting for that report, congratulations on a brilliant marathon, all the work has paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

WELL DONE!! That was fantastic Anita, you deserved a great race after all your hard work. Enjoy basking in the glow of your achievement, you should be dead proud of yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Very well done Bally8, great run today, you're now a fully fledged marathon runner! Give yourself a few days to bask in the glow of your achievement: sub 4:30, sub 4, sub 3:30... will be there for the taking over the next few years. Onwards and upwards.

Advertisement