Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bally8 wrote: »
    So thats it, I did it. 4:52:36 chip time. A bit disappointed it doesnt sound better but I will definately come back next year to beat it.
    Sounds pretty amazing to me. Brilliantly done. Enjoy the rest over the next few days, You've earned it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fantastic work Bally8 :D Now rest those liegs for a few days/ weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Well done Bally8, you've earned the bragging rights for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done Bally8,enjoy the rest....you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Fantastic fantastic fantastic Bally8. Hats off to you. Amazing achievement that you can bask in the glory of forever :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Well done on such a great achievement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Awe well done hun! Proud of ya x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Well done Bally8. Inspirational stuff!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Amazing stuff Bally8 and a really incredible time. I hope all the pain today reminds you that it IS all worthwhile.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats Bally8, great time. So are you up for next year now?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done Bally8 - great determination. Glad you enjoyed the experience (for the most part)! Here's to many more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Arnied

Great running Bally8 to keep it going to the bitter end. I was frequenting the corner of Roebuck and Fosters for a couple of hours throwing out some motivational chants and really enjoyed seeing the hoards going by, twas perfect conditions. I reckon I will be taking part in next years marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Wilbury

Brilliant stuff Bally8, no more than you deserve!!! You handled all your setbacks brilliantly. Really delighted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks everyone so much. This place is awsome:). I know I've said it so many times but I really mean it- its all your messages of support and encouragement that got me to the start line of the marathon and even during it I often thought of what I would say in my race report and wondered how everyone else from boards was doing. I was just too wrecked after to go to the Conrad to meet up, now I regret it as I really wanted to meet the people who helped me so much. There is always next year eh:D

Im only just starting to feel better today. My stomach was in bits during the marathon, from about mile 15 on. I think the gels and the sports drinks and the constant motion caused the upset and it lasted until today really. Yesterday I nearly had to pull over while driving to work as I thought more than once I was going to throw up. I decided to take today off work as I was still sick and sore and just totally wrecked. Luckily I have a very understanding boss. I went to my physio last night and my god did he batter me but Im so happy to say that today Im finally walking like a normal human being again.

Back to work tommorow, out with the girls tomorrow night, will relax for the rest of the weekend and then the plan is to restart healthy eating and exercise from Monday. I want to work on my strength and speed over the winter so although I will still be running I intend to cycle, row and do weights too.

Here is a particularly bad picture of me after the marathon. Dont know whats going on with my eyes...

16133_190271537585_519612585_4015693_8081574_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Tears of pride? Or pain? Honestly you do not look like you have just finished a marathon there! Well done again Bally8 it's been really great tracking your progress and seeing how you managed to fit it all in.

What next? Are you too far south for Athenry 10k on St Stephen's day? I've already registered:)

Thanks littlebug. I plan to work on my fitness and strength for a while. Not sure about next race- maybe Adare in March, or possibly the race series in UL. Must look up Athenry could be a great time for a 10k.

That's a great photo. You look like one of those skinny athletic people I'm completely intimidated by!

Are you crazy? Did you see my time? Im a total plodder definately not athletic!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And next time you'll be faster. We all know that. :)

Also agreeing with what Goofygirl said!

• Advertisement

Nope, I'm not buying it. Anyone who runs a marathon cannot claim to be "not athletic" sorry.

Thanks RK, I have a lovely photo of the two of us at the start too

Wednesday 4th Nov- 1st day exercise post marathon

Finally felt ready to do something so I ran today for the first time since the marathon. My OH has decided to take up running too so I'm thrilled. We went out together (also the first time I've ever ran on the roads around my new home) and did 5 mins walking/ 5 mins running for 30 minutes. No bother- lovely to have the company. Then I got the bike out and cycled the route to check how long it was. Back home, jumped on the treadmill and did 10 minutes. Im want to work on my speed so I did some interval training, 1 minute at 5.5 mph, then 6.5 then the fastest ever on my treadmill 7mph. Felt good, a few niggles but nothing major.

Then I did about 10 minutes of weights, I dont know what anything is called but will look it up and will use the technical terms in future. The hardest one was one where I lay on my front on the bench and lifted the weights with my legs, realised my hamstrings are very weak.

Finished off with 5 minutes on the rowing machine just to easy myself back into it. Oh did some stretching also.

In summary a great first session back. 40 mins run/walking, 15 mins cycle, 10 mins weights, 5 rowing, 5 stretching.

Friday 6th Nov

4.1 miles on the treadmill in 39:40. I first ran for 30 minutes at an easy enough pace then did a different weights routine, upping each dumbell weight to 10lbs instead of 5lbs. I realise now 5lbs was way too light. I lift 20lbs with the barbell and I think I will up that too next week. I also did reps of lunges, press (or push?) ups, planks and sit ups. A great tough work out. Next a mile on the treadmill. Im trying to run a mile in each session now and beat my time each time, so I cut 25 seconds of Wednesdays mile today. Still a very slow time (9:15) but Im not really really pushing yet, still a bit sore in the legs. To finish I did 6 mins on the rowing machine and some stretches.

Now all I need to do is get my eating under control. I still havent stopped pigging out since the marathon and its getting beyond a joke now. Monday...

Bally8 wrote: »
    Now all I need to do is get my eating under control. I still havent stopped pigging out since the marathon and its getting beyond a joke now. Monday...
    Yeah I'm totally feeling that! Doom-level appetite and minimal running really don't mix...

Sat 7th Nov
    Ran 3 miles on the treadmill in 29:22. Then I did 7 mins on the rowing machine. Then a mile on the treadmill again. It took me 8:59 which is 16 seconds off yesterdays time and the fastest time I have ever ran a mile in that I know of. My abs and shoulders are killing me today from the major weights session I did yesterday- woohoo, must mean it worked!

Good session today 4.1 miles in total in 38:43 exactly a minute faster than yesterday.

Going to a hen night tonight, Im looking forward to it and scared in equal measure. I havent drank a drop of alcohol since the beginning of July. I will probably be on the floor after one. I have also forgotten what hangovers are like. I really hope I will be able to run tomorrow.

So there was no way I could run on Sunday after the hen on Saturday night. I was actually very careful and only had about 5 drinks but they still managed to leave me way too wrecked to even think about running.

Because of work I am only going to run on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays or Sundays for the next few weeks anyway. So today was the first bit of exercise since last Saturday. I'm also trying to eat better, started Monday, lasted until 12.30 when I met a friend for lunch. Started again this morning. Its very tough as Im a total chocolate addict.

Anyway...today I went for a 5min run, 5 min walk x4 with my OH. He is starting a half marathon training plan for beginners today so it was cool to be out together. My right knee was at me from the beginning and got worse each time I ran and when we were about 4 mins from home it seemed to pop and the leg went from underneath me. My ITB again. Its gas as it was this weekend last year that it got injured first. I walked home and got the bike out to cycle the route to see how far we had gone, 3.3 miles. I really enjoy cycling and think it will be even better when I figure out the gears:)

Back at home I did a new weights routine that includes bench presses, dumbell rows, leg extension thingies, lunges, squats, forearm planks and sit ups (which I find torture). I couldnt resist the draw of the treadmill and its call to try beat last weeks mile time. So I hopped on, saying to myself that I would stop the minute my ITB flared up. It didnt for some strange reason and I did my mile in 8:36. That was after 1hour 20 minutes of exercise. Im wondering what I could bring it down to if I wasnt injured. Lastly I did 8 mins on the rower and stretches. Good session again. Im disappointed with the ITB but I will take it easy and if I cant run for a while I will go out on the bike a lot more and I have lots more variety in my training now so that rocks.

Hope the ITB sorts itself out...I'm in a bit of a motivational lull at the moment myself. Came home last night and was going to go for a run but it was below zero and dark so instead I sat on the couch and ate two bowls of cereal and a family bag of Reese's Pieces for dinner instead...

So tempted to get some Reese's cups on the way home now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

ITB? Sh1t, when did this happen? I haven't run since the marathon so don't know how mine will react, gonna try 3 this evening. The foam roller is great though and cheap enough. Stretching the itb gets mixed press but I found one that hits the spot.

Is it you right knee? If so stand with your left side parallel with a wall about a foot and a half to 2 foot away. Place your left hand against the wall. Cross you right foot behind the left one and push your hips away from the wall creating an arc from your right foot up your right side. You can feel it stretch the right side and the hip insertion point.

TBH though, I'm not sure the stretching did as much good as the foam roller but after about 5 stretches held for 30 secs each on both sides, you can feel the tightness easing. I could anyway.

Best of luck we should start an ITB support thread.

Advertisement