Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

OI wrote: »

Is it you right knee? If so stand with your left side parallel with a wall about a foot and a half to 2 foot away. Place your left hand against the wall. Cross you right foot behind the left one and push your hips away from the wall creating an arc from your right foot up your right side. You can feel it stretch the right side and the hip insertion point.

Thanks OI I tried this stretch today after another failed run. My first ITB injury happened this time last year and with lots of patience and trips to my physio it seemed to be fully healed about 4 months later!!! Each time I tried to run in between the pain would come back and I was back to square one. So when it was finally gone I thought I had beaten it. It didnt give me any bother throughout all the marathon training. But its only now I remember that it started to hurt during the marathon about mile 18 but by then everything was hurting so I paid it no heed. That must have been where the damage was done as it was niggly since and then downright painful on Wednesdays run.

Today I went out with my OH again. He is on day 2 of his half marathon training plan so I decided to run at his pace. It was 1 minute of walking, 1 minute jog and 1 min run. I enjoyed it actually. I never really pushed myself past jogging much before but I find Im liking the faster speed now. I was going well until about 30 minutes in when the pain at the side of my knee became too much to run on so I walked home. I then hopped on the bike and explored the countryside for 5.4 miles. Found a nice new route for a run. Then back in our gym I did a short weights routine. Sit ups still killing me, as is the forearm plank.

I thought that I would be able to run a mile on the treadmill as Im eager to get one in under 8 minutes but after 0.2 of a mile I had to stop, stupid ITB hurting waayyy too much. Did 6 mins on the rowing machine to finish.

I will ice and stretch and pray that the ITB sorts itself out soon

So its been a week since I updated here. Reason being I havent done any running or exercising of any kind. I came down with a bad cold/flu type thing that really knocked me for six and Im just coming out of it now. Took a few days off work and slept lots and ate even more. I feel tired and sluggish and a million miles from where I was after the marathon when I felt I could do anything. Worried about my fitness but also on the verge of just giving up and becoming an obese couch potato again. Im sure they can let my wedding dress out?

I hate writing like this- all moany but thats how Im feeling these days, going through some very emotional stuff. I bet a run would help sort my head out as much as my lazy flubbery body. Maybe tomorrow I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    I bet a run would help sort my head out as much as my lazy flubbery body. Maybe tomorrow I will give it a go.
    You know it will... even if you get out for just a short run it'll help to clear the head a bit and it'll make you feel a bit better. :)

Plus of course the weather is supposed to absolutely stink this weekend, so if you do go out then it'll be a bit of a hero run anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Hope you're feeling better today, and you get out for a run. I went out this morning in the wind and rain, and it was great. Of course, it goes without saying that we're obviously all a bit nuts to be even leaving the house in this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hope you're feeling better Bally8 :). Don't worry about not having energy.. your body is using all your energy in recovering for now... and you won't lose much fitness in a couple of weeks. You'll be back out there in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

4 months for an ITB injury is very long. Have you got a foam roller? A sports massage would probably do more than physio as they'll work on the muscles around the ITB as well as working on the ITB itself. Plenty of stretching of the quads, calves and hamstrings as well should help.

Thanks everyone for your support. I have finally gotten over whatever crazy emotional slump I was going through and ran today for the first time in 11 days today. On the treadmill as there is no way Im going out in this crazy weather. Roads round here are pretty water logged too. I started out with a warm up and then pushed the pace to do a mile and try beat my last time. Silly thing to do as the ITB kicked up after 0.5 of a mile. I stopped after 1.6miles and did lots of stretches, back on the treadmill for a bit of very slow jogging (5.5 mph) and some walking when the pain got too much. Did 2.2 miles in total. I arranged a sports massage (thanks for the suggestion RacoonQueen) for Thursday evening. Im in a much more positive place now. I will get over this ITB and back on track. There is still sooooooo much more I want to achieve in running, no way Im going to give up now:)

Im fit to burst with excitement today. I was just looking at the race calendar there and I can see at least 9 races that Im going to do next year. Yippie, I cant wait to get back into running and regular training. What excites me most is the Cork Marathon relays. It didnt occur to me until now that there is nothing stopping me entering it, and I think I have 3 more people who will do it with me. I think its such a cool way of experiencing the atmosphere of a marathon without running the whole thing. Next year is going to be a very busy one for me and I thought Dublin would be the only marathon I could fit in but now Im buzzing with the idea of going to Cork too.

Im also thrilled about the Limerick marathon. I really hope its a great success and becomes a pernament fixture. Im so disappointed that I wont be able to do it- my wedding is on a week before in Vegas and our party when we come home for 200+ guests is on the Friday before the marathon. So there really is no way I could do it.

So I finally went for a sports massage. OH MY GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY it HURT HURT HURT! It was the most painful massage of my short running career. I actually thought I was going to cry at one stage. However I was very impressed by the girl as she is a very active runner herself and I feel I learned more from her than from all the hours I have spent with physios in the past year.

Went for a 15 minute run on the local GAA pitch this morning. My first run on grass ever. ITB held up well, a bit niggly but nothing like the pain of Tuesday night. Im not to run again until Tuesday but I'm very hopeful that I will get over this much quicker that I first expected. :)

I did the Cork relays this year with some boardsies, I have to say I thought it was great fun! If you've got some friends that are interested, it might be one to make a weekend of :)

Friday 4th Dec

Jogged 1.2 miles approx in 15 mins at the GAA field again. No pain in the knee so fingers crossed the rest Im giving it is working

• Advertisement

Monday 14th Dec

3.35 miles on the treadmill. 3 mins jogging/ 2 mins walking. No major pain in ITB. I have decided to take a rest until the new year and spend time doing things I enjoy more like eating all round me. So much stress and crap going on in my personal life at the moment. I have lost all motivation. I just want to get over 800 miles in the 1000 mile challenge.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Monday 14th Dec

3.35 miles on the treadmill. 3 mins jogging/ 2 mins walking. No major pain in ITB. I have decided to take a rest until the new year and spend time doing things I enjoy more like eating all round me. So much stress and crap going on in my personal life at the moment. I have lost all motivation. I just want to get over 800 miles in the 1000 mile challenge.

Welcome back Bally8. Don't hurt yourself again trying to get to 800.... more important that you're able to start afresh into a new 1000 miles challenge in Jan ;)

Thanks littlebug. Itb seems to be holding up well. Ran/walked 5.4 miles on the treadmill this morning, no way I was going out on those roads. Felt great to be getting some good milage in again.

I was amazed to see a guy out running today as I drove through Limerick. I found it hard to walk with the ice, couldnt imagine how he managed to run. Fair play. Its the treadmill for me though, Im not that brave. Ive just found out that I dont have to go to work tomorrow because of the roads so woohoo I'm on my holidays!!

Im hoping to get back running regularly from tomorrow morning. I have great plans for next year.

So here goes... (all dependent of course on being injury free next year)

2010 Aims

10ks- aim to finally go sub 60mins and keep beating it each time I race
    Adare 10k
    Plassey 10k
    Pakie Ryan 10k
    Clare 10k

10 mile
    Kilnaboy 10 mile - 1:45:00

Cork Marathon Relay- planning on running this for fun in a 2 man team with my new husband:D

15 miles
    Cork to Cobh 2:30:00

Marathon
    Dublin City Marathon - I want to cut a good few minutes off this years time of 4:52:36 at least bring it down to 4:45 but the dream would be 4:30:00

I hope to fit in as many races as possible and work on my strength and speed. Cant wait for 2010

Best of luck :)

You'll definitely hit your targets as long as you're consistent with your training - and doing the Cork relay with the OH sounds like fun!

Tuesday 22nd Dec
    No work today as snowed/frozen in at home- woohoo!! Nice run/walk on the treadmill 5.52 miles. I really enjoyed it. I had forgotten how good running can make me feel. I still took regular walking breaks of 90 seconds. I do them out of fear really. The ITB isnt hurting me but i'm afraid to push it so I will take it easy until the New Year. Right now Im very happy to be getting these small few miles under my belt.

Woohoo I LOVE my new Garmin. My OH bought it for me for Christmas. Poor guy- he was driven mad by my constant running talk last year, now he has given me a new toy...he must have secretly liked me droaning on about marathon this and marathon that!!!

Anyway I had no time at all Christmas day so no chance to try it out except for a few minutes of running up and down the hall delighted that the satallite could find me:)

I had a huge sulk yesterday as I had to cook a second Christmas dinner (crazy tradition in my OH family to have Christmas dinner twice in a row) and so had no chance to go for a run again.

Finally this morning I got my opportunity. And boy was exercise ever needed- I have put 3lbs up in 3 days from constant eating and then more eating and then a small bit more eating thrown in for good measure. I have a wedding on Tuesday- not sure if my dress will close up, not willing to try yet!

So fully of excitment I headed out my door and up the Quarry line in Portroe. I wonder why I never ran here when training for the marathon? Its beautiful and on my doorstep, silly really. Anyway Im still doing 3 mins running, 2 mins walking to protect my injury prone body but am determined to stop this in the new year. No more of this cissy walking stuff. In 2010 I want to become a runner...or maybe a very slow jogger- either will do.

So I loved the garmin- it rocks being able to see how far I've gone and what my pace is. Went further than I intended as I was enjoying myself so much. 3.77 miles (going to be v precise with my distance recording from now on:D) The time was much too slow to mention. Raced in the door to upload the data to Garmin connect and sporttracks. I have a feeling I will be spending many an evening messing around with those sites.

Cant wait for tomorrows run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

3.77 miles - don't ya just love your Garmin? I really enjoy using mine, I love that I can run wherever I want and don't have to try and remember it on mapmyrun! Enjoy the wedding, don't worry about your dress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pint size

Hiya

Just reading your training log and I noticed you got a sports massage back in november.Ive a hamstring injury at the minute (very very frustrating!!) and Im looking to get a really good massage preferably from someone who runs themselves.Can you tell me where you got it?
    Thanks!!
    ps best of luck with all your goals in 2010!

Thanks pint size. I got that massage from an excellent girl in Limerick. She is a very accomplished runner herself and also works with the Munster Rugby team. I found her brilliant- very painful but the best massage ever and I've had quiet a few this year. If you are from this region I will give pm you her number if you like.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Bally8. I got one of tham thar garmint thingies too. I haven't got to use it yet other than out of a very slow and cautious walk! Roads / pavements are still like...eh...ice.. round here so my new toy will have to wait.
    Re walking breaks... I remember a friend telling me that when I felt the need to walk to just slow down to just a little bit more than walking but not walking IYKWIM and then pick back up again in a minute or two. it worked nicely and got me out of needing breaks altogether. Eventually I was able to keep going without slowing (tho' really for me it's all slow:o).

Thanks littlebug I will def try that slowing down instead of walking when I go out this weekend.

Very little running so far this week. Monday was last minute prep for weddings. Tuesday was Wedding No 1 which was great fun, my first time properly drinking in 6 months. Was wrecked Wednesday but managed to pull myself together for wedding No 2. Afters this time, a great night. My ITB was kind of sore though- I think it was from almost 2 days straight of being in heels.

Today was my second run with the garmin. Im loving it. Lap after lap around the GAA pitch while my daughter and OH played a bit of hurling. I found the ground very soft and energy sapping and the cold made it hard to breath but it was still great to be out there. 2.11 miles very slow but pushed myself a bit and did 4mins run/1 minute walk.

So thats it for 2009. 812.15 miles, ran/walked/ crawled this year. 2 major injuries- my ITB and my achilees. Two 10k races walked due to injury and one marathon completed. A bad year in one way because of the injuries. A brilliant one too as I decided to do the marathon, trained hard and did it!

Thanks boards, I really wouldnt be here without all the support. Cant wait for 2010:D

Sat 2nd Jan
    First run of 2010. Roads frozen so I had to use the treadmill. Disappointing as Im still infatuated with my new garmin and dying to get out and use it:). Anyway I decided to run 10k just to see how long it took me and then to use that time as a measure for improvement over the next few weeks. It took me 1:09:13. Slow but better than I expected. I tried out littlebugs recommendation of slowing instead of walking and it worked a treat. I did walk for 1 minute after 24 mins and 49 mins of jogging but I think it was more a mental thing than a necessity. With a cool down jog and walk I did 6.53 miles in total. Not a bad start to a new year if I say so myself.

From next week Im going to follow an adapted version of Hal Higdons spring training. Starting at Week 5 in order to be ready for the Adare 10k in March. Would love to achieve a PB there sub 62 mins

Mon 4th Jan
    Treadmill again. 3.13 miles in 35 mins. Slow I know but I ran (or slowly jogged) the whole thing. Im thrilled with myself as its one of my main aims for this year- I want to cut the walking out completely.

After the treadmill I did Gillian Michaels DVD- the crazy trainer from the biggest looser which I love. Its a 20 minute strength, cardio and abs workout. I liked it and think I might fit it in most days hopefully. To be honest I felt sick during it but thats a good thing eh? My core is definately a jelly mush.

Tuesday 5th Jan
    4.47 miles in 50 mins on treadmill. I took one walk break for a minute at 25 mins but jogged the rest. Glad to say no real pains in the itb or achiles. Wouldnt it be brilliant if I got a good injury free few months- I cant even imagine it.

Did the Jillian Michaels DVD again. I found it harder today as my arms and thighs ached from yesterday. Boy did I feel the burn. So the exercise is coming together, next I need to get a grip on my diet. Not long till my wedding now.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Good news on the injury front bally8. Do you use the foam roller at all for the itb?

No OI I never got round to buying one. I just did lots of stretching and a few very short runs on grass. I dont know why its feeling so good but Im just happy it is. Could be sore again tomorrow, its worrying as I have never gotton to the root cause of it.

Today:
    Wed 6th Jan
    Back out on the road, thank god, the treadmill was starting to drive me a bit mental. Found it difficult at first, my chest was wheezing from the cold. Had to turn back after about a mile as the road was too frozen and had a few slides. Decided to run to GAA pitch to do laps but it was all locked up for some reason so I thought that would be it and I ran home. However I then decided to take anothe road and that wasnt too bad. I love the freedom the garmin gives me. I can just run anywhere and always know how far I have gone. Did 3.57 miles in the end in 38:22. A little faster than usual.

Back to work yesterday- boo! My car wouldnt start so was 1.5 hours late. Luckily our students weren't back yet. Had planned to do my DVD workout last night but was just too wrecked so took it as a rest day instead.

Did 3.16 miles on the treadmill today and then the DVD. Ran the whole distance again- woohoo. The DVD is a killer but its only 20 minutes so its survivable. Im so glad I have my own treadmill, I know for a fact I wouldnt be doing any running otherwise.

Not sure if I have work next week. All schools are closed but mine is not mainstream so dont know whats happening yet.

Monday 11th Jan
    4.1 miles on the treadmill. All running no walking. Really feel the itb and achiles are much better so have decided to stop the walking breaks from my treadmill runs. I think to be safe I will keep them in when I run on the road but the ultimate aim is to eliminate them all together.

No work today, will find out later if I can go in tomorrow. If not I am praying the snow has melted enough for me to get out and play with my garmin again:)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 13th Jan
    4.04 miles with the OH. Out on the roads again - at long last. However the first 1.5 miles were torture. I was so scared as the road was covered in ice and I was freaking out. We decided to turn back and go along another road which had thawed. Good run but my achilles was sore for the last mile and its still aching now. Really hope its not injured again.

Advertisement