Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Saturday 16th Jan

Had to be a treadmill run today even though the weather was perfect to take to the roads. My OH is working all weekend and my daughter is grounded for a major freak out, so she had to sit in the garage with me while I ran. 4.13 miles no walking again. Happy with my progress.

Sunday 17th Jan
    Woohoo woohoo ran 6.94 miles today. I have never ran that far without taking walking breaks before. Even while training for the marathon I always took breaks, sometimes every 5 minutes, 10 minutes and occasionally pushing it to 20 minutes but the longest I had ever ran without walking before was a 10k race about 3 years ago. Im thrilled with myself. Now I just have to replicate it on the road.:)

Thanks littlebug, it was your advice which finally got me to stop.

Summary: (* idea stolen from luvlylady)

Today: 6.94 miles
    This week: 19.21 miles
    This month: 40.07 miles

A great improvement on this time last year. Next week will be a bit more difficult as I have 4 days work (thank god for extra hours) and lots of wedding stuff to organise so I think it will be Friday or Saturday before I fit another run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Bally8. I do think that once you reach a certain point the walk breaks are a psychological thing and that just slowing down does as much good. When's your next race?

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done Bally8. I do think that once you reach a certain point the walk breaks are a psychological thing and that just slowing down does as much good. When's your next race?

Next race is Adare 10k littlebug on 7th March. Gives me plenty time to get ready for my first sub 60 attempt.

Friday 22nd Jan
    5.3 mile run/walk/panic today. My OH and I planned to do a 3 mile loop I had seen on my garmin map thing. However it ended up being much more complicated than that. We couldnt find the turn and ended up going higher and higher up into the Quarry. Biggest problem was we had to collect my daughter from school and by the time my OH admitted we were lost, we were 40 mins away from home with 20 mins till she had to be collected. Wow panic is amazing for improving my speed and stamina. I ran my ass off, getting my mile time down to 6;44 at one stage:).

After a while we saw a main road and the OH decided that if we went through the fields we would get to it quicker. So off we went through the mud and puddles only to find a stream and bushes blocking us so we had to turn back- 15 mins wasted. By this time though all I could do was laugh at how crazy the situation was- we were lost in our little village, a village my OH has lived in all his life!!!

Finally we made it to the main road where amazingly my future father-in-law was driving past in his berlingo van (room for me only). I got to the school just as my daughter was coming out. She was mortified, 'oh my god mom, your so red, wheres the car?' When I told her that we had to walk home she begged me to walk ahead of her and leave her go with her friends- I was just too embarrassing to be seen with. My poor OH had and extra 2 miles to walk.

Good news is we found an excellent 6.5 mile route to do in future, very hilly, very challenging. Next time though I will leave home in plenty time to get back for the school run.:D

• Advertisement

Saturday 23rd Jan
    Fog too thick today so I decided to go on the treadmill again. Great session. 4.5 miles. I played around with speed and for the first time ever I ran at 8 mph. It was brilliant and torture at the same time. I really had to focus everything on not falling off the treadmill. At one stage I thought I was going to throw up. It was great. However I may have pushed it too much as my achiles was very sore at the end.

I did a Tae bo dvd after. Wow it was tough, I will definately do it again. Think my abs will be hurting tomorrow. Still feel a bit sick from it all. If only my diet was under control I would be totally buff by my wedding:cool:

Sunday 24th Jan
    4.07 mile run/walk with my OH. We found the turn for the loop no problem today:). Its a very challenging route as its very hilly but Im really enjoying pushing myself these days. And no achilles pain- dont know whats going on there but I wont ponder it too long- painfree running is always a bonus.

Summary
    Today: 4.07 miles
    This week: 13.87 miles
    This month: 53.94 miles

Wednesday 27th Jan
    4.45 miles on the treadmill today. No walking, no need anymore- woohoo. Played around with the speed a bit to keep it interesting. Think I need to get out on the road more and see if I can run without walking there too.

Friday 29th Jan
    4.14 miles with my OH. We did 2mins walking/3mins running. Very hilly roads, a few scary dogs. I was tired the whole way round and felt like I was dragging my legs behind me. My achilles was very sore too We passed our house at 3.6 miles and I wanted to just give up and go in but Mr Bally8 said no we had to do 4 miles minium so we went to top of road and back. Was glad we did the extra little bit, mentally it was good.

I have a huge amount of stress and distractions in my life this week. Im not sleeping and although my diet has improved drastically I've kind of gone off the rails a small bit these last few days. Really trying to get my head back in the right space in order to do what I have to, to achieve my goals for this year.

Sunday 31st Jan
    Didnt get a chance to run yesterday- we were busy buying wedding rings etc and I was wrecked when we got home. So I wanted to do a big one today to make up for it.

Glad to say I ran 6.75 miles along some of this hilliest roads I've ever ran on. It was challenging to say the least. At about 3.5 miles I thought I was going to throw up, there was a giant of a hill that I thought would nearly kill me but I told myself to keep going and I made it to the top. Then at mile 5 I got to a flat bit and was delighted to see I was running at 9 minute mile pace.

It was good to see I can run well on the roads now, not just the treadmill. I ran for 9 minutes and walked for 1 throughout the 6.75 miles. Im going to try running on flatter ground soon enough to see what kind of time I capeable of. Hopefully I will cut the walking out fully soon.

Summary
    Today: 6.75
    This week: 15.34
    This month: 69.28

Total January 2009: 22.7miles in fact I had only 65 miles completed by the end of February last year so this year is definately getting off to a much better start. Yippie!

• Advertisement

Wed 3rd Feb
    7.13 miles today. Good run. It was difficult and my achilles was a little painful but I felt strong for most if it which is great. I ran on the nenagh bypass for the first time I think since marathon training. I wanted to run on flatter ground and see if I could do 10k in a faster time. I managed it in 1:03:23. A good improvement on my time from Sunday. I think the sub 60 is still a long way off, Im still taking walking breaks after every mile but I might make my target by the summer hopefully.

Ive had some of the most emotional, stressful few weeks recently so sleep and diet has been greatly affected. However Im delighted with myself for keeping consistent with my running. In the past I think I would probably be lying on the couch feeling sorry for myself. Its weird to admit it but now I look forward to my runs! :D

Friday 5th Feb

6.85 miles with my OH. Good run on that very hilly route again. I think Im turning into some kind of masochist (sp?)- there is this one killer hill and I LOVE it, by the time I get up to the top my lungs feel like they are going to explode, my tummy wants to hurl and my face is a funny shade of purple yet I feel great, like Im truly pushing myself, testing what my body can achieve. To think I used to go out and have a leisurely stroll around a flat route in Shannon not even breaking a sweat believing that it was exercise!

On a side note, Im in a much better place today mentally- the stresses and strains of family life have been dealth with and I have had 2 good nights sleep so Im back in a positive frame of mind. Cant wait till the Adare 10k so try get my sub 60:D

Sunday 7th Feb
    8.1 miles today. Pushed hard so Im wrecked now. I managed 10k in 1:00:40. Even though I felt I was at my limit for today, Im beginning to think I really can do that sub 60 in Adare. Yippie:D

Summary
    Today: 8.1 miles
    This week: 22.08 miles
    This year: 91.36 miles

Wednesday 10th Feb
    Woohooooo!!!! Ran 10k in 59:12! First time ever running 10k under 60 minutes. It was only on the treadmill though but still it made me feel real good:D.

Friday 12th Feb
    I wanted to do a long run today, was aiming for 12 miles maybe but after the huge hill at Kiloran Slate Quarry my legs were gone. I had started off well with 2 miles at 9:40ish pace but from that major hill on I was back running 10:40- 11ish miles. I was a bit disheartened as the last 2 times I ran this route I only needed a few minutes to recover from the hill then back to quicker miles. Today I just had nothing left speedwise. I mean I could have plodded on forever but I dont want to just plod along anymore. I kept going anyway and ended up doing 9.7 miles in 1:43:52:(

On a positive note that is the longest run I've done since DCM last October and my bod totally held up well. Oh also I was running (slowly plodding actually) for 15 minutes then walking for 1 throughout the whole run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

DOMS takes up to 48 hours to peak so scheduling two fast workouts 2 days apart can be asking for trouble. P&D do back to back hard days (the idea is getting teh second tough session in before the DOMS peaks) or many schedules would have a bigger gap, maybe two tough sessions 3 days apart, speed on Wednesday and LSR on Sunday for example. So it's no wonder you struggled with such a long run after such a fast one.

Anyhow, well done, 2 cracking runs!

Thanks amadeus Im just a bit lost at the moment with no training plan to follow I just do whatever I feel like on the day which is probably not the best way to do it.

Rest day today. Didnt get a chance to update log yesterday so here it is...

Sunday 14th Feb
    4.08 miles on the treadmill. Just an easy run squeezed in before my visitors came for a few days. House full of little children. No sleep aagh!!

Summary:
    Total this week: 20.04 miles
    Total Feb: 42.12 miles
    Total this year: 111.4 miles

Tuesday 16th Feb
    4.8 miles on the treadmill in 45 mins. Not the most enjoyable run of the year but its done now and thats whats important I suppose. Im sick of the treadmill as Im getting out on the road now a lot more often so any time on the treadmill is getting annoying. However mid-term break at school means I have a child stuck to me all day with no escape so treadmill it had to be. I stupidly pushed the speed from the start and by 10 mins in I was wrecked. I could feel all the crap I ate last night rolling around in my stomach and I really thought I was going to heave. I was going to stop at 15 mins but knew I would be angry with myself for the rest of the day so I kept going. Got my breath back and ran at 6.5 mph for the rest of the 45 mins. I had an average of 9.21 minute miles which is my best average yet this year. Still nothing like most people on here but its good progress for me.

Wed 17th Feb
    6.85 miles today. My OH was with me again, which sometimes I love and today was one of those days as I was determined to have an easy run and not push myself too hard. All was going well until 2 miles in when we met some very slippery frozen roads and so had to turn for home. Himself went in after 4 miles but I decided to continue on for a little bit. That eventually turned into another 2.8 miles but my god was it lovely- the scenery down by Lough Derg was just beautiful. I love my new home:)

(just re-read that and I dont think it came out right- I ment that when I run on my own I try silly things like pushing the pace until I nearly die. I have a bit more cop on when my OH is with me)

Fri 19th Feb
    7.14 miles this morning. It took me ages to muster up the energy to leave the house. I wanted to run 10k and try go sub 60, that was the plan anyway. However I knew within 5 minutes that it was not on. Those 2 golden crisp bars I ate last night were churning around in my belly and I felt like I was going to get sick (yet again). That wasnt so bad though, it was the inability to breath that was getting to me the most. For the whole run I had a major wheeze going on and I could never catch my breath even on the extra (unplanned) walking breaks. A disappointing time on 1:02:06 for 6.2 miles then plodded back to the car feeling sorry for myself.

Still there are positives to take from this run:
    1. I wanted to give up after 5 minutes but I kept going.
    2. I achieved the fastest average speed for a run yet this year (on the road)

• Advertisement

So its been a long while since I've updated here. I havent been running in ages:(. My diet has gone totally off track too. But Im trying from today again. Between work and home stuff I wont get to run until Wednesday that will be 12 days since my last run. Hope I will be able to more or less pick up where I left off. Adare 10k on Sunday, aim now will be just to enjoy the day as I dont think the sub 60 attempt is still on.

Bally8 wrote: »
    So its been a long while since I've updated here. I havent been running in ages:(. My diet has gone totally off track too. But Im trying from today again. Between work and home stuff I wont get to run until Wednesday that will be 12 days since my last run. Hope I will be able to more or less pick up where I left off. Adare 10k on Sunday, aim now will be just to enjoy the day as I dont think the sub 60 attempt is still on.

Bally8 ease back in and you could really surprise yourself on the day. You've an great base built up over the months so go for it! (as long as you're injury free of course!)

Saturday 6th March
    Finally back running. A very easy 3.1 miles on the treadmill in 31:19. I was sluggish and felt very unfit. Im annoyed with myself for not running for the last 15 days. I have no reason only laziness and lost motivation. I feel guilty for that as I know there are quite a few people on here who cannot run due to injury or illness and I just stopped running cos I was a bit busy and a lot lazy!

Well Im back now and I think the Adare 10k tomorrow will help me find all my enthusiasm for running again. I am also starting my training Monday for the Cork relay in June. Must find a training plan now...

Best of luck tomorrow Bally8. Run your socks off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be great :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Best of luck Bally8! (from the A/R/T-ist formerly known as goofygirl)

Thanks a mill ladies I'll do my best. My sub 60 attempt is off this time but I have another race in a few weeks to try for that.

Good to have you back on boards Goofygirl

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Have a great run tomorrow Bally8.

Sunday 7th March- Adare 10k

Excellent day today. I really enjoyed it.My daughter had never seen me in a race so my OH decided not to run and brought her along to watch instead. I was running this one with my sister and brother, we have never ran together before and I knew that because I had taken so much time off running that today was just about enjoying the day and going at their pace. We took off at a nice pace though- 9:46 min miles and decided to walk I minute after each mile marker. Even though its my third time at Adare I had forgotten how hilly the course is. I found them tough but realised that all the hill running I've been doing around Portroe really helped. I felt good and strong the whole way around and knew that if I was running by myself I could have pushed more and maybe have gotten that longed for sub60. After about 4 miles my sister was finding it tough going but I was feeling stronger and stronger (apart from a niggle in my achilles). Its a tough dilema- keep running with her as I promised or take off by myself. At the 5 mile marker I didnt feel I needed the minute walk so told her I was sorry, I could get a course PB if I pushed to the end. And thats what I did- I took off and was delighted to see I had so much more left in my legs. I managed a top speed of 6:34 min miles in the last mile. Finished in 1:03:47 I think. Not super fast, not a sub60 but a really enjoyable day. And many encouraging things to take from it. Cant wait for the next one:D

(Just one complaint about the whole thing- traffic was allowed on the route and it got very very dangerous at times. Not nice at all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice running Bally8, definitely sub-60 next time :)

Advertisement