Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done Bally8. Have you any races planned between now and Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done Bally8. Have you any races planned between now and Cork?

Thanks littlebug. Im planning on running a 10k in Clare on 27th March. I will be running this one on my own so I think I will try for the sub60 attempt there. Im also planning to do the Plassey 10k at the beginning of April with my OH. As he doesnt run very often Plassey will be more of a fun run than a PB attempt. There are a few other 10ks that I have my eye on so plenty of race opportunities between now and Cork.

Wednesday 10th March
    8 miles LSR. Slow being the optimum word! Im now following Hal Higdon Novice 2 marathon schedule-ish in preparation for the Cork relays. Im going to do 3 legs which are 16.9miles in total. I was looking at half marathon schedules but couldnt find one I liked so have decided to cut the marathon one short to 10 weeks which gets me up to 17 miles with 2 weeks to taper before the big day. I wont be following the schedule religiously as work and wedding commitments are making it very difficult for me to get regular runs in at the moment. It will be May before I will be able to run 4 or 5 times a week. So at the moment Im making sure to get the LSRs in and squeeze the other 3 runs in whenever I have a spare hour or two.

Anyway yesterdays run was very tough but really enjoyable too. The sun was shining, lovely crisp air and the scenery was breathtaking. I went very high up into the hills around Portroe and while it nearly killed me going up, it was so worth it.

I have a very busy weekend but will try fit in a quick 3 miler and 5 miler at some stage.

Well I never managed to fit those 3 and 5 mile runs last week. Alcohol is a training plans enemy! I was at an emergency services charity night on Friday and had a few drinks. Its been 3 months since I last drank and wow I felt it. Was too hungover on Saturday to run and still wrecked on Sunday so no run then either. Best excuse is that my OH had his stag on Saturday so I had no babysitter. In the end they are all just excuses- I was really just very lazy.

So cue new week and new determinism. I started yesterday by cutting out all the crap from my diet. Wedding is in 5 weeks and I need to cop on. Last night I ran 3.7 miles in 35 mins on the treadmill. Nothing spectacular you might say but in fact it was another first for me. I never run after work- Im always too tired after the travelling and by the time I've cooked dinner Im usually fit for nothing. But last night I decided to run anyway and really felt good for it.

Will probably have to do my long run on the treadmill this week as my OH is working very long shifts. Its also my hen on Saturday so I can guarantee you no running will occur only dying on the couch:D

Wed 17th March
    6 miles on the treadmill today. I had intended to do 9 even though I've never ran that long on the treadmill before but I wont have any other chance to do a long run this week. In the end time went against me so I could only do the 6 miles. Then race to get the little one ready for the parade in Nenagh. Cant wait to get a chance to go out on the road, Im getting very tired of the treadmill.

• Advertisement

Eek relegated to page 4 of the training logs. Have been very busy doing things like rushing Ozzy on stage at my hen night...not much running tho!

13325_414634722585_519612585_5261994_7653983_n.jpg

4.12miles at an average of 11 mins per mile. Terrible terrible run. I havent ran in a while but will have some time in the next few days to get back on track. Today was just a really bad run though. I was very slow because I had this wheeze thing going on which made it very hard to catch my breath for the first 3 miles nearly. I took a few walking breaks to try catch my breath and eventually I was ok. I'll just chalk it down as one of those bad runs (I've had plenty of them)

3 weeks till we fly to Vegas- Woohoo!!!

Nicer run today thank god. 4.57 miles in 49:14. Still very slow but not half as bad as yesterdays tough run. I think I will run on flatter ground tomorrow, the hills are too much of a challenge at the moment I think because of my inconsistent running this past month or so.

Its hard to describe how good I feel about running today. After 2 tough runs I wasnt looking forward to my lsr today but something clicked into place and I remembered why I love doing this so much. Im kind of half following a bit of Hal Higdons Marathon plan to get me ready for the 16.9 miles of the Cork relay Im running. But I really havent done much as wedding stuff is totally taking over my life at the moment. So I set out today determined to do 10 miles and see how I felt. About 5 miles in the strangest thing happened, it felt like my legs woke up or something, I had the weirdest sensation like they were saying "oh yeah, we like this lsr thing, this is what we are good at". I was thinking back on all those long training runs for the DCM and just felt great for the first time in ages.

10 miles in 1:47:08

I think I've found my mojo. Roll on next week:D

Total this week: 18.94 miles
    Total this month: 49.76 miles
    Total this year: 179.95

Nice one Bally8. Definitely sounds like you've re-found that mojo!

When is the wedding?

• Advertisement

3 weeks from Tuesday littlebug. Its been tough trying to organise a wedding over the internet and the phone but we are going to have a blast in Vegas hopefully!

1 hr on the treadmill today 6.09 miles. Nothing much to report. It was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

1hr on the threadmill :eek:. you have better willpower than me. Fair dues

Are you doing the Limerick marathon??

baza1976 wrote: »
    1hr on the threadmill :eek:. you have better willpower than me. Fair dues

Are you doing the Limerick marathon??

I know, the treadmill is torture alright but when I cant get a babysitter to let me out on the road its better than nothing. I just zone out and try plan everything I have to organise in my life. Dont think I could do much longer than an hour though!

As for the Limerick marathon I really wanted to do it but unfortunately not this year. Im getting married in the US in 2 weeks time then having a party at home the Friday before the marathon. No way I could have fit the training in. Im definately in for next year though!

I will be doing the Sonny Murphy 10 mile race on 11th April though, maybe some boardsies will be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Bally8 wrote: »
    1 hr on the treadmill today 6.09 miles. Nothing much to report. It was grand.

Best written post I've seen for a while .... made me laugh. Treadmills do that to ya!

Good luck with the wedding - Vegas is cool!

Friday 2nd April- another hour on the treadmill- gotta get out more!!! 6.26 miles- if only I could do a sub 60 10k on the actual road:D

Monday 5th April- The 12 miler that never happened
    I was planning on running 12 miles yesterday but as I had been out Saturday night and eaten huge amounts of chocolate all day Sunday I couldnt get myself off the couch.

So today I was determined to get it done. Cue attempt Number One- Decided to go back to a 12 mile route I used when training for Dublin last year so got in the car all ready to face the elements. I drove to a village outside Nenagh 6 miles from the car park to drop my water but there are all these new road works around because of the Nenagh by-pass motorway thing and I was stuck in traffic/roadworks for way longer than I wanted. Finally turned the car to go back to car park and start my run- but WHAT THE HELL!! The slip road back was closed and I ended up driving over 30 miles on the motorway- lost somewhere around Nenagh with no idea where the start point for my run was gone and where I was going. Finally got back to the town but by then it was 40 mins since I had left home and I was fed up of it all so just drove home for lunch!!

Attempt Number Two- After lunch had digested I decided to try do the run around Portroe - out my front door and on roads Im more used to. The hills around here are very difficult though so I thought maybe I would do 7.7miles instead- thats what I believed I needed to do to get to 200miles in the 1000 mile challenge. Off I went and was happy with my first 2 miles, ran at a nice pace, then I came to a big hill and the wind just stopped me in my tracks. It was torture, I felt like I was jogging on the spot. As I passed my house coming up to 4 miles I decided to give up.

However the 1000 mile challenge was still on my mind so after a quick drink of water I went out to the treadmill to do the 3.7 miles to get me to 200. Felt good so I did 5.25 miles in 50 mins just to be sure to be sure.

So even though I didnt get my 12 miles in I still was very satisfied to get the 9.25 in and reach 200 miles in the challenge- or so I thought!!!!

I hadnt updated my runs on the garmin connect site in about 2 weeks, just did it there but when I compared my total mileage from the site to my own spreadsheet I found they were different. The garmin one said I had 197.85 since Jan!!!!! Spent a good 5 mins counting and comparing miles and dates thinking maybe I forgot to add a manual run to the garmin but no, I had made a mistake on my own spreadsheet at the beginning of March and hadnt noticed. I have to laugh at myself- I was totally p**d off.

Ah well I must go out tomorrow and run 2.15 miles to fix it.

I know Im slightly crazy! Maybe my wedding should be taking precedent right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Aw Bally8 that's all quite mad! (sorry but LOL at your long run attempts, all sound very familiar - as does the obsession with the 1000 mile challenge!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Anyone else might think you were mad but we understand :)

I think it's funny how we spend nearly as much time doing sums as we do running :D

have I just read that right and you're doing a 10 mile race next Sunday. Best of luck!

littlebug wrote: »
    I think it's funny how we spend nearly as much time doing sums as we do running :D

have I just read that right and you're doing a 10 mile race next Sunday. Best of luck!

I had planned doing the Kilnaboy 10 miler on Sunday littlebug but its a no go now Im afraid. I was doing it with my sister but she has a calf injury. Ive decided to do a lsr of about 13 miles instead, Im not really willing to do the 3 hr round trip on my own for the race.

In other news, I was shopping in Cork yesterday and Limerick all day today so no running - still havent hit that 200 mile mark:mad:

• Advertisement

April 10th
    6.76 miles around the hills of Portroe today. God it was hot but still felt fantastic to be out and about in such beautiful weather. Finally passed 200miles for the year to date.

It was also my first run in my new Kayano 16's. I was a little afraid of them as I loved my 15's and had heard that the 16's were not half as comfortable. Glad to report they were lovely to run in, hopefully they will continue to stay that way.

April 11th
    8.26 miles at an average of 11.05min/mile. Slow slow run. I didnt intend to be so slow but I just had no gusto in me, just flat the whole run. Dont get me wrong- it was very enjoyable, this weather is amazing but I think the heat just sapped the life out of me. Came out in more hives- everytime I run in the heat now I get hives:confused:, not a good luck for a bride-to-be!!

Anyway this was a good week milage-wise 24.27 miles in total but not in a proper training programme kind of way. I should be running 4-5 times a week with shorter runs, intervals etc but I really am just getting out every few days for average lenght slow runs at the moment. I think once wedding stuff is over I will be able to focus on Cork and start following the plan properly.

Summary:
    This week: 24.27 miles
    This month: 30.53 miles
    This year: 212.87 miles

I had planned on a long run today but wedding stuff got in the way again. I was also a bit nervous of getting more sexy hives so I spent the day packing my daughters suitcase and organising stuff instead. Flying out on Friday morning. I cant wait, we have been planning this wedding/trip for nearly 2 years now! I wont have a chance to run tomorrow so it will be nearly the end of the month before my next run. Im not overly worried though, I will have the whole of May to focus on the Cork relay.

Wont be near the net much in Vegas, so the week away will be the longest I will have gone without checking in on boards since I joined...sad really!!

Woohoo- Vegas baby!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Enjoy Vegas Anita, enjoy the holiday. And best of luck and good wishes for a fab wedding day!:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck with the wedding. Enjoy the break aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Enjoy the wedding. And remember, marriage is a marathon not a sprint or something...:D:D

Thus spaketh the sage of the A/R/T Training Log Subforum...

Hey have a wonderful wedding (*mwah mwah*) and a brilliant time in Vegas.

Thanks ladies, just counting down the hours now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Enjoy Vegas, and enjoy the big day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best wishes Bally8! Hope you have an amazing time in Vegas. Enjoy every minute :D

Advertisement