Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Congats Bally8 - hope the day went as you wanted given everything else. Those cakes at the end ... i want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Gorgeous pics, you look fab. Congrats to you both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

ULstudent wrote: »
    Congats Bally8 - hope the day went as you wanted given everything else. Those cakes at the end ... i want!

My aunt spent hours making all the little individual flowers for the decorations, those cupcakes were total hit.

Saturday 8th May
    4 miles at 9.55/mile pace. Thrilled with it. It was an out and back route so I decided to try running to the 2 mile half way point, that would be further than I've ran without walking on the road all year. And I did it, wasnt easy as I pushed the pace a little too but made it to 2 miles, walked a minute then ran back home. 4 miles with 1 minute walking, soon enough I wont need that minute hopefully:)

Sunday 9th May
    Finally did that 12 miles I've been trying to do for the last few weeks but life kept getting in the way. I really enjoyed it. Its the longest I've ran in over 6 months and went on a route I havent ran since DCM training, so it brought back lots of good memories of long runs last summer. Cant wait to get back into a marathon training schedule- listen to me, cant believe Im talking like that. This time last year I had never ran more than 6 miles!!

So the run itself went very well. I was aiming for 11 min miles. I think I did all my long slow runs at marathon pace last year and that didnt work out too well for me in the end so this year I'm trying to go at a pace 30-45 seconds slower than PMP. Its not an easy thing to do. My body just doesnt want to do what its told. I ended up running faster for some miles today than I did on Fridays run when I was trying to do 10.30 minute miles.

Anyway I did the 12 miles in 2:07:39. Felt pretty good all round and my heart rate stayed nice and low. I know Im tempting fate but I cant remember the last time I had a stretch as long as this injury free. Its great to be able to see improvements and not worry about my knee or my heel or some other crocked part of my body.

Oh yeah I also took a gel at mile 5, first time taking one since marathon in October. It went down in 2 big gulps no problems at all, I cant believe all the fuss when I took my first one last year- talk about drama queen!

Im working 4 days next week- yippie!- so that means I probably wont be able to run until Friday- boo!

Summary
    This week: 25.25 miles
    This month: 25.25 miles
    This year: 266.46 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great run Bally8!

I don't think any of us will forget your gel comparison fuss last year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey bally8

Just catching up on your log now. Your pics are stunning. Hope you had a fab day xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on the weekend's run and best of luck getting back into DCM training. It's a long term goal for me but I'm finding it hard to hold my horses reading everyone's DCM logs on here. Definitely not this year though, I'd certainly be getting over excited! And congrats on the weddding!! Keep enjoying your injury-free long runs and October will be here in no time ;)

Friday 14th May
    4.66 mile run/walk with my OH. Was a bit stiff and sore all round, I think it was because I hadn't run in 4 days because of work.

Saturday 15th May
    14.13 miles in 2:33:53. The first 2 miles were tough as I had a pain in my knee (a wii fit related injury:eek:) but it just disappeared after that so I could settle down into a nice rhythm. It was very hot for the first 6 miles or so but the weather changed and got nice and cool for the return leg back to the car.

I did 30 mins of the biggest loser game on the wii when I got home. Im hoping that if I do the yoga and stretches from it I might have less stiffness after my long runs in future.

So not the best week in terms of numbers of runs but Im really happy with the 14 miler. Nice to be back doing big milage runs.

Summary
    This week: 18.79 miles
    This month: 44.04 miles
    This year: 285.25 miles

You're really ramping up the miles again Bally8. Are you finding it easier than when you were at the same mileage stage for DCM last year?

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    You're really ramping up the miles again Bally8. Are you finding it easier than when you were at the same mileage stage for DCM last year?

Most definately finding the long runs easier littlebug. I think a lot of it is a mental thing though- this time last year I had never ran more than 10k so each long run was a scary new challenge, now I know that I can run and run* for hours if I have to. The thing is Im only getting 2-3 runs in a week at the moment so maybe when Im back doing 4-5 per week it will be tougher.

(*when I say run I mean very very slow jog:D)

No running since Saturday, I just cant get into a routine of getting out regularly every week. I have managed 2 sessions on the wii. Dont know if its any good but I've definately been breaking a sweat and my abs are hurting so it must be doing something.

Friday 21st May
    4.25 miles with my new husband. Nice leisurely run. His training is going very well for his leg of Cork. We are aiming to beat my 4:52 DCM time, hoping to come in at 4:45.

It was so hot out there today, good training for Cork if it has its usual baking hot day. I was thinking of Hunnymonster out there in this heat all day. She is just amazing!

Sunday 23rd May
    Emer Casey 10k Youghal,Co. Cork. Ran/walked with my sister on her first 10k race. It was such a hot hot hot day but I really enjoyed it. She is great company and I dont see her that often so it was lovely to do something like this together. She doesnt run that often so I thought it would be very challenging for her but wow was I impressed with her. We ran the first 2.5 miles at 9:40 ish pace. But the heat and the hills were too much so we walked a bit then. From then on we ran and walked whenever she felt like it and finished in a very respectable 1:10:30.

It was a good enjoyable race but there were one or two things I had a problem with. Like the cost- it was €20 and while it was for charity and a very good cause I really felt we could have gotten a better goodie bag for our money- a tshirt, a bottle of water and a banana in a plastic bag, that was it. At the start line in the baking heat we were being called to line up from about 1.20 but they were still letting cars through (no roads closed anywhere for the race- v dangerous at times) so we had to keep moving out of the way and then back onto the road over and over again. I also though the stewards could have done a better job or maybe there should have been a few arrows on the road- I didnt know the route and there were a number of times where we had to shout to people at the side of the road to find out where we had to go next. At the end there was no one instructing people where to go to get the bus back to the start just nearly 1000 people wandering around hoping to spot the buses. Lastly it was advertised as a flat route and flat it was not!

I dont want to sound totally negative because I actually really enjoyed the day and will be back next year

Monday 24th May
    Delighted to have gotten to run with Hunnymonster for a bit today. She is totally amazing. It took me forever to find them somewhere in Offaly this morning and I think my boss will kill me for not going to work but feic- it was totally worth it. When I met HM she was hurting a lot so after 2.7 miles she took a break to get her feet strapped up so I went off with my husband to get something to eat and move my car further along the road. He dropped me back to the gang and went home. I had my car parked in Borrisokane and had planned to run a bit past it then walk back and drive home for lunch instead I kept running with HM to Nenagh 12 miles down the road. God it was hot, really sticky but there was some relief from the clouds.At times I thought some crazy drivers were going to blow us off the road but she plowed on through it all and made Nenagh in great time. A little incident with taking the wrong turn was very frustrating but not much damage was made by it and by about 3.30 HM took another break to cool down and have her feet dealt with.

I feel privilaged to have had the chance to run with her. What she is doing is so outragiously amazing it cant be experessed properly by me anyway.

It was great to meet other boardsies and the support crew, they are the total unsung heros in this.

Wed 26th May
    5.5 mile easy run/walk with my hubby. I have a blister on the side of my big toe- very annoying. Must be from the 10k race on Sunday followed by the 15 miles on Monday. Its really a sin to be complaining- I cant even begin to imagine what kind of pain Jo must be in.

Anyway its getting very close to Cork now, I intend to take it easy on my runs between now and then. Plan is a nice 4 mile run Friday, maybe 8ish on Sunday and then 2 or 3 four milers next week to bring me up till the 7th. My achilles is very sore. Sore like it was coming up the the marathon last year when I had to take 10 days off running. Im going to be bold though, I will ice it, rest it and take care of it but no physio until after Cork, no way its going to stop me running my part of the relay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey Bally8. Well done on you for running those 15 miles with HM. Good preparation for the cork relay as well!!
    As you may or may not know there are a couple of Boards teams heading down to do the Cork relay as well. Make sure to say hello!! Actually there is a thread about this in the events section, there are loads of us (relay and marathon runners) going to Luigis Malones for carb loading the evening before the race. I am sure yourself and hubby are welcome to join us!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey Bally8. Well done on you for running those 15 miles with HM. Good preparation for the cork relay as well!!
    As you may or may not know there are a couple of Boards teams heading down to do the Cork relay as well. Make sure to say hello!! Actually there is a thread about this in the events section, there are loads of us (relay and marathon runners) going to Luigis Malones for carb loading the evening before the race. I am sure yourself and hubby are welcome to join us!!

Thanks menoscemo. My sister lives in Cork so we are going to hers the night before for dinner. Hopefully I will get to meet lots of boardsies at some stage over the weekend.

Friday 28th May
    4.12 miles in 41.30. Very happy to say I ran the whole thing. I've decided that from now on I am going to stop taking walking breaks in any run 6 miles or under. Its a big step for me but after a year of almost constant training I really think its about time I cut the walking out. Only disappointing thing about the run was the time- I wish I was able to go faster. Im hoping that I will improve now that Im taking out the walk breaks.

Sunday 30th May
    Had planned to run 8 miles today but I was stuck to the house (no one to look after the sprog) so I ended up running 4.62 miles on the treadmill. It was my first time on the treadmill since April 5th. God running outside is soooooo much nicer. Still its better than nothing.

Summary
    Total this Week: 28.79 miles
    Total this month: 83.29 miles
    Total this year: 324.50 miles

• Advertisement

Sat 5th June
    Took a few days off this week. My achilles was sore so I didnt go out until yesterday. I planned an easy 4 miles but it was far from easy. My achilles was sore from the beginning (I was thinking maybe a 3/4 out of 10). By the end of the second mile it was up to 6. After about 30 mins I had to walk, it was very very sore. Everynow and then I tried running but it was v painful so I just limped home. Iced it for a while and at least it stopped paining me when I walked.

So today Im going to ice like crazy and pray to the running gods to make it ok for Monday

I am going to warn you not to do it - i had the same symptoms in January and did what you plan on doing - running through the Achilles. The result: tendonosis and no running for pretty much 4 months. The Achilles is one thing you do not want to mess with as it can niggle you for life if you don't take care of it.

My advice? Don't run monday - go to a physio.

ULstudent wrote: »
    I am going to warn you not to do it - i had the same symptoms in January and did what you plan on doing - running through the Achilles. The result: tendonosis and no running for pretty much 4 months. The Achilles is one thing you do not want to mess with as it can niggle you for life if you don't take care of it.

My advice? Don't run monday - go to a physio.

God I definately didnt want to hear that but you have me thinking... not sure what to do really. I know what you are saying is the sensible thing to do but Im part of a team and maybe it will be ok... must talk to my hubby about it

ugh i didn't even realize you were doing cork - feel horrible now for opening my big mouth

ice ice ice and stretch and foam roll the **** out of it but if you had to stop running today - then it really isn't a good idea at all to run on monday - you could end up out for months like me and is 1 race really worth a long time of no running?

but hey - no one else knows your body ike you - decipher the pain and intensity level but the achilles is not one thing you want to mess about with.

Ah no... after all the preparation :( As Ul says ice ice ice and rest and hope for the best. Good luck!

7th June -Cork Marathon Relay
    I was in two minds about doing this right up until the night before. I went down to Cork with my OH, my sister and brother on Sunday. Went to expo and relaxed in hotel for a bit before heading out to dinner. My achilles was hurting all the time even after icing and resting all day Friday and Saturday. I had it strapped up Sunday and ice sprayed regularly to give me every chance to be ok for the race. Slept well Sunday night which was strange as I usually have a very restless night before a race.

Woke at 7 on Monday and ate my instant porridge (yuck but does the job). Showered, sprayed the heel, stretched a bit then off to the start. In preparing for this race I had never really considered rain, the weather had been so fab I just thought it would be fine but boy was it wet! We sheltered at a bus stop and after a quick loo visit I was ready to go. I started just in front of the 5 hour pacers with the intention of never seeing them again. I really didnt know what my strategy for the race would be. If the achilles was fine I wanted to run to each water station, walk a minute then run again. If it was kind of hurting I was thinking I would run with my sister on her strategy of 3 minutes running, I minute walking. And if it was killing my like Fridays run I though I would either have to walk it or drop out. My poor OH had no idea when I would get to him at the 3rd relay change over.

Luckily the heel was only niggly not painful for the first few miles and for a few miles I didnt even notice anything from it, it seemed totally fine. I was thrilled. I would have been so disappointed if I didnt try and run it. But I really dont think I would have pulled out before the start anyway.

So the race...it was brilliant, torture, horrible and fun all at once. The rain, the wind, the slippy footbridge where I nearly landed on my backside, the struggle to keep going forward at the water front where the rain was coming down so hard it felt like hailstones on my chest. I loved it. I felt like Rocky:D. Me against the elements and I was doing it- my body was doing everything it was supposed to do!

I couldnt believe the ammount of people who came out to support us on such a horrible day. Each clap and word of encouragment meant so much to me. If the weather had been better it would have been a beautiful course.

Im encouraged by my mile times too. I completed my 16.63 miles in 2:53:36 thats an average of 10:27 min miles. Exactly what I want to do for the DCM in October. I felt great and when it was time to stop I didnt want to, I felt like I could have kept going another while. That was one of the only bad points of the day actually- when you finish your relay leg its a weird sensation- no finishline just pass over the wristband and stop. A weird way to finish a race, no glory over the finishline:D- my hubby got the glory!! He did really really well too and our team finished in 4:41 ish. We are delighted with that as the aim was to beat my 4:52:36 time from Dublin. We will be back next year to go sub 4:30!!

Oh yeah- achilles is a bit sore today. I have to go to my physio as Im planning to start my marathon training schedule next week. Cant be starting it injured

Brilliant Bally8! I'm delighted the achilles held up for you and you finished in great time too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very well done! Look after yourself now and get that achilles sorted.

Eek page 5- took me a while to find my log today. What a busy place these training logs have become.

I havent ran since the Cork marathon. Instead I did some impulse buying and got myself some new eyes:D. Laser eye surgery last Friday a total rash decision but a great result so far. I cant run for a week but thats fine as Im trying to rest my achilles so I can start my DCM training.

I went to the physio on Tuesday. Good informative session. Have to stretch as often as possible to improve the flexibility in my rock iron calves:p

So no running until next Tuesday. Hopfully by then I will be fighting fit and ready to start either HH novice 2 or intermediate I training- Cant wait!!

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    . Instead I did some impulse buying and got myself some new eyes:D. Laser eye surgery last Friday a total rash decision but a great result so far.

Soooo jealous..:(

Advertisement