Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

DCM training Week 1 -126 days to go
    Woohoo Im thrilled to be starting training for Dublin. I had intended starting last week because Im taking a week off in July for my honeymoon. I couldnt though as I had the laser eye surgery and was resting my achilles. I havent ran since Cork- thats 2 weeks. Im hoping and praying that my achilles troubles are behind me. It would be great to train injury free.

So Day 1 - Cross Training
    15 minutes on the rowing machine. I started off at a resistance of 5 but after a few minutes it felt like my arms were going to fall off so I put it down to 4. I then did 20 minutes of stretching and a few weights.

Its also Day 1 of me trying to eat healthier. I've put on over a lb a week since the wedding:eek:. Its going to be difficult- I love my food I do

End of Week 1 DCM Training Summary Sunday 27th June

Monday: Cross training- 15 mins rowing, followed by 20 minutes of stretching, weights and skipping.
    Tuesday: 3.03 miles nice and slowly. Achilles pain rated 3 out of 10. Walked after each mile for 30 seconds.
    Wednesday: 5 miles. Grand for first 3 miles then achilles started to bother me (would say maybe a 5 on pain scale) so I took a good few walking breaks in the last 2 miles. Very hot out there too
    Thursday: Missed my 3 miler today as I had to travel back from Dublin, buy a new car (mine decided to give up on me after only 2 years) and bring my daughter to a camogie match.
    Friday: Rest day
    Saturday: The plan was to run the Clare 10k. However my hubby is working nights as a superhero this week and had a late call out so got home too late to let me get to Ennis on time. Had a nice lazy day instead with a short cross training walk.
    Sunday: 9.17 painful miles. God chaffing thighs are torture. I decided I was sick of capris and wanted to try wearing shorts like real running folk do. Thing is my fat thighs do not like rubbing together for 100 minutes. Ouch ouch ouch

So thats week one down. Not too successful- missed one session and realised that there is no way I can manage the HH intermediate plan so Im going to scrap it and do the Novice 2 plan instead. Im still unsure if I will actually run Dublin- I worry that im not doing the right thing to heal my achilles and I will remain injured for too long so wont be able to complete the training.

Im going to see a different physio this week and see wheather Im on the right track with my easy running, lots of stretching and icing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One word - Bodyglide.
    Or is that two words?

Havent posted on this for a while. I have been avoiding it really. I feel I've lost contact with this forum. Last year it was so much fun being a newbie and part of the mentoring thread. This year I miss that support a lot. I think I should be doing much better - after all I did run a marathon last year. But Im actually doing much worse. Cant seem to shift this achilles problem and I've done way less training as a result.

I havent been able to motivate myself to train regularly as I still dont know for sure if I will be able to run Dublin. Because of this I havent thrown myself into running like I did last year. I think I have also had to make choices between running and my family life and family life is winning much more this year than last year. Maybe Im just not ready to give so much of my time to training any more. Im newly married and very busy in work, that seems to be coming before running most of the time now. Or maybe Im just getting lazy.

So since I last posted...

Mon 28th June- Rest day
    Tuesday 29th - 3.2 miles after work- happy that I can fit a run in on work days- never managed that last year.
    Wednesday 30th - 5.33 miles again after work. Running with no walking every session now. Still niggly achilles pain though.
    Thursday 1st, Friday 2nd - no running, no time or energy. 3 mile run missed
    Saturday 3rd- my sister visiting from Cork, only time for a 3 miler not the six as per training plan. Hoped to fit it in Sunday.
    Sunday 4th, Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th - No running, again busy with work, wrecked by the time I got home. Physio Tuesday, massaged the calf and worked near the achilles, didnt arrange another session as I will be on holidays soon until the end of July.
    Wednesday 7th July- 3.12 miles. Achilles very sore for last mile of this run. Very depressing.
    No running since...

Im so fed up with this. It just seems to be a constant element in my running life now with no sign of it being sorted. I got the number of a physio in Nenagh who works with the Tipperary hurling team. I will give him a call on Monday. Would love some good advice on what to do. If I knew for sure what to do to fix this then I could make a final decision on Dublin.

Sorry for the epic post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Poor Bally8 :(

I obviously can't advise on the injury but I hope the new physio can shed some light on it and sort it out.

Sometimes life just gets in the way of running and you have to prioritise and there's nothing wrong with family being priority (especially as a mother IMO).
    If you look back at last years log can you see what, if anything, was different then?

re support... i know you're not a novice but why dont you jump in on the sub 4.30 thread? There are loads of us on there that could benefit from your advice based on last years experiences. You could be RKs beautiful assistant:D In fairness you juggled so much last year with work, family and injury you really could bring a lot to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Awww sorry to hear about your aches and woes :(. I suppose like everything in life, motivation in running just comes in peaks and troughs. And yeah, there was definitely something special about the DCM thread last year and it's easy to feel a bit cut adrift without it.

If you and running are having difficulties, maybe you should just take a break to see how it goes? Marathon training is such an intense physical and emotional experience that you shouldn't do it just because you feel you *should*. Maybe instead say something to yourself like "right, I'm not going to run for two weeks. At all" and instead go swimming, take up clay-pigeon shooting, go horseriding or something instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I know how you're feeling Bally8, went through something similar a little while ago. Maybe EYT is right, you need a total break and then the love might return? You've had a lot on your plate with the whole "wedding vs volcano ash cloud", then the actual big day, and work as well. Is it any wonder you're a bit knackered and demotivated. The good thing about DCM is that it's on every year... So if you don't make it this year, so what, there's next year - and you'll have the Limerick one as well, if you want to do the full one instead of the relay. There's loads of them around! Keep the chin up and get the odd run in, you'll get there...

Thanks ladies, I've been thinking about yer responses and I think Im going to take some time out from running. Maybe get out on the bike- I've always wanted to cycle more but never seemed to fit it in. Im off on my honeymoon (finally:)) next Friday so Im going to take these next few weeks to have a break. I'll run again at the end of the month- see how the achilles is, visit that new physio and go from there.

Your right rachel- Dublin is on every year and if I dont make it this year I will get there again. I was looking around last night and there are lots of other shorter races on that I might target instead.

Thanks again gals- I feel silly moaning about lack of support when I knew ye would be there for me if I posted how bad I was feeling- this place rocks.

Will def pop into RK's mentoring thread and see if there is anything I can do the help this years newbies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sorry to hear.

Like i told you earlier i got achilles tenodnosis in january and the only thing that got me back running was to NOT RUN for 4 months. It took 4 months to heal. Horrible i know but i took the positives from it - it got me into cycling. At first i started taking aqua jogging classes, spinning, bike to keep up the fitness and then got an entry level race bike (Giant defy) and even just pickled up a city bike for commuting (trek 7.1 or something like that). Broke as a joke now but i am getting that same thrill from it. I went to an excellent physio in limerick who did an ultra sound on my 2 achilles looking for imbalances, did dry needling on it and lots of massage of the calfs pressure points. He is fantastic. If you can get into limerick PM me and i can pass on his number. I was seeing another lady before hand and was getting nowhere with her.

Rest. Try some swimming or cycling or rowing but id advise ya to not run. I understand how frustrating it its but if you keep running on it it will not go away and could get worse.

ULstudent wrote: »
    Sorry to hear.

Like i told you earlier i got achilles tenodnosis in january and the only thing that got me back running was to NOT RUN for 4 months. It took 4 months to heal. Horrible i know but i took the positives from it - it got me into cycling. At first i started taking aqua jogging classes, spinning, bike to keep up the fitness and then got an entry level race bike (Giant defy) and even just pickled up a city bike for commuting (trek 7.1 or something like that). Broke as a joke now but i am getting that same thrill from it. I went to an excellent physio in limerick who did an ultra sound on my 2 achilles looking for imbalances, did dry needling on it and lots of massage of the calfs pressure points. He is fantastic. If you can get into limerick PM me and i can pass on his number. I was seeing another lady before hand and was getting nowhere with her.

Rest. Try some swimming or cycling or rowing but id advise ya to not run. I understand how frustrating it its but if you keep running on it it will not go away and could get worse.

Thanks UL I wuld love his number. I just want to get this sorted. Four months is a long time to stop running for but if I knew I had to do it and that I could run without the achilles pain after, I would def be worth it.

Im going on my honeymoon on Friday- cant wait- so that will mean a rest from running until the end of the month anyway. I will take that time out and then come back ready to fix the injury the right way.

• Advertisement

Just PM'd it to you. I know 4 months is a long time but what would you prefer 4 months or much much longer. By now if the pain hasn't gone away it sounds like it's no longer acute and is now chronic as acute usually is gone after 2 weeks (could be wrong here). Id really recommend the physio i went to - ni BS, straight in there with ultrasound, elctro therapy, needling etc. He refers you if he cannot sort out the problem after a number of sessions.

Enjoiy your honeymoon! Keep me updated.

So I had a wonderful Caribbean Cruise honeymoon- would totally recommend it, the sheer luxury and indulgence is out of this world. I put on over 8lbs:eek:

Today I went to that physio place that ULstudent recommended. Its weird- I've been told I have to stop running for 3 or 4 months minimum but instead of being disappointed Im actually filled with a new determinism and motivation to once and for all get this achilles problem sorted. Its a relief to finally have a proper diagnosis (achilles tendinosis) and a proper plan to deal with it.

I had shockwave therapy and some other machine that felt like pins and needles and we spoke about getting orthics later on in my recovery to address the route cause of my problem- the over- pronation in my left foot. I will have to go back once a week for the next few weeks- at €50 a pop its very expensive but hopefully worth it.

In the mean time I intend to swim, do weight training, cycle and use the rower to keep my fitness up. I was also given strenght exercises to do for the achilles so must do those a few times every day/

Even though I havent posted in a long while, I have been reading everyone's logs and have been very envious of all yer progress. Hopefully in a few months time I will be back on track for a spring marathon next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Glad to hear you enjoyed your honeymoon! Sounds amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Welcome back Bally8. Your honeymoon sounds amazing. Know what you mean about getting a proper diagnosis, at least you then know what you need to do to get it right. Best of luck with the rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Welcome back! Saw your photos on facebook - looked fab, so jealous...:D Hope the injury clears up nice and quick for you :)

Hey Bally8 - update! How's the recovery going?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

racheljev wrote: »
    Welcome back! Saw your photos on facebook - looked fab,

I'm feeling a little left out, are ye all FB friends" :(

Welcome back however!

ULstudent wrote: »
    Hey Bally8 - update! How's the recovery going?

:) Recovery going well- slow but most definately making progress. I had 6 sessions with Angela. Dry needling, shockwave torture etc. Can feel a real improvement in the achilles area. Im now allowed run 2 miles on grass three times a week and if all goes well over the next few weeks I can start gradually building the milage up.

Other then that I've been very lazy, no cycles or swimming for weeks now. My biggest excuse is work- hectic, stressful and very tiring at the moment. Hating it actually but I know I should be delighted to be working 4-5 days a week when last year I was reduced to 2 days for a while.

I havent been posting on boards for a while but after catching up with everthing today Im now very motivated to get back on track. Will run later today

I'm feeling a little left out, are ye all FB friends" :(

Ha ha you can be our FB friend too eyt:)

3 mile run today- went to gaa pitch but it was all locked up. I was all dressed up for running so couldnt just go back home. Decided to bite the bullet and go on my first road run since 3rd July. Went very well, jogged the full distance and only felt a slight niggle towards the end. I had forgotten how great running is for de stressing- forgotten how much I love running along these back roads.

Back to grass for a while though- I dont want to do any damage by doing to much on the road too soon.

Happy days!

• Advertisement

Havent posted in a while. I've been doing a few little runs of 2-3 miles once a week but nothing major. Today I ran 4 miles on the treadmill. Im happy with that as its the furthest I've ran since before my injury lay off. Im going to try keep it up now- 3 runs per week to gain strength and fitness again.

Have a new aim- first race back after injury will be Dungarven 10 miler in January.

Didnt manage the planned 3 runs this week. Have my eating back in control though, really need to drop a few lbs before the annual christmas pig out:) Did manage a 5.22 mile run Friday and 3.22 today. No pain, no walking so not too bad really. Will try to fit the three runs in next week.

Advertisement