Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You should move to the illness log forum. :D
    But seriously, everyone ends up taking a week off occasionally due to illness or injury. Don't get disheartened! I've had to take the last couple of days off too, but hopefully will be ready to go tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Illness and injury over (fingers crossed)

Ran/walked 2.5 miles today. 1.5 miles running in total. Would have been well able for more but decided not to make the same mistakes as last time.

Ran/walked 1.8 miles tonight. 1 mile of it was running. Lovely crisp evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Keep at it Bally8! In a few weeks time you will be running 3, 4 mile runs: a few months 6,7 milers.
    One foot in front of the other...

Thanks for support donothoponpop. I've been reading your log too and it got me thinking about how much running could take over someone's life if they get suitably addicted. Had a long chat with my OH last night and he says he is fully supportive in helping me achieve my aim of running the marathon in October. He believes I can do it if I put in the hard work but was a bit shocked when I showed him a training plan. He didnt realise how much time it could take.

Anyway Im more motivated than ever to keep going with this. Cant wait to go for my run tomorrow:)

• Advertisement

Ran/walked 1.8 mile route again this evening. A bit more running this time- 1.2 miles of route in total. Taking it nice and easy.

My internet died on Friday and I dont know how to fix it, so until then I will have to sneak a few minutes on boards between classes at work.

Ran/walked 3 miles on Saturday 13th. Running again for a half mile then walking then running etc. 2 miles running in total.

I had a stitch again and it is starting to annoy me. I never usually get them and cant see what is causing it. Im not running any faster than before. The only change is that I am stopping for walking breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi Bally8, you're doing great so keep perservering. Do you monitor your breathing much? Any chance your not doing deep enough breaths through your nose while running, just leaving them for when you walk. If your cutting out the walking bits, then maybe your not adjusting your breathing suitably while running?

I could be very wrong, just something to check perhaps.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks MarieC. I didnt consider the way Im breathing actually. Definitely something I must pay attention to tomorrow when I get a chance to run again. The thing is not so long ago I used to run with no walking breaks and never got a stitch, now that I take walking breaks I seem to be getting them. :eek: Im sure it will sort itself out though.

Christmas is getting in the way of running already- I was supposed to go for a run tonight but the Christmas tree is going up- I dont even have a ladder so it will be fun trying to get it down from the attic!

Also my sister is giving out to me for running in the dark by myself, she is concerned as a girl was raped near my estate last week. Thing is Im not worried- I usually run at 7ish and on well lit streets. I just cant talk to her about my running anymore which is sad.

Well you should definitely be putting your safety first, considering someone was attacked nearby so recently. Still tho, Im as bad and have no problem running on my own in the dark. You just have to be vigilant and not run too late or somewhere too isolated.

I can also empathize on the not being able to talk to people about your running. Friends/colleagues think Im mad or crazy or a freak for running early in the morning or more than twice a week or in bad weather. Hence this forum is fantastic, so dont lose hope, plough on, keep up the determination and remember there's an entire community of us here that understand where each other is coming from, no matter what stage of ur running career you are at.

• Advertisement

I know its excellent. Im spending a tiny percentage of my time running, a much larger percentage talking about it and a huge percentage on here reading other people's logs and getting their advice:). I think I read somewhere that for every hour a person spends running they spend 4 talking about it- that definitely applies to me.

Disaster!!!

Ran/walked 2.5 miles this morning. 1.8 miles was running. Was about half a mile from home when the knee went again. It was agony for the day- much worse than before. My physio called round tonight and strapped it up. Looks like I'll be out of action for a long while this time. Its sooooo frustrating as I did everything I could to get back on track after last time:(

So I'm still here, reading everyone's logs and wishing I could be progressing with my own training. I decided to take a 3 week break and see if the ITB would right itself. I have 5 more days rest left but Im going mad- dying to get back out running. Im so tempted to start back tomorrow but knowing my luck the injury will come right back. Im scared I will never shift this stupid thing.

I have spent my time off planning races for this year. First will be Adare 10k in March, then Plassey 10k in April, then Ennis 10k in June. Want to beat the times I got for those races 2 years ago.By then I should be starting my HH training for the Dublin Marathon.

One good thing in the middle of all this injury gloom is that I'm 1 stone lighter today than I was this time last year. Woohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

congrats on the weight loss..its one of the major benefits of running
    your doing great and are making good progress, good to see your planning your races and not getting too disheartened as your recovering
    your right to be cautious about your injury it will stand to you long term if you take your time now
    wont be long before your running free again

I presume uv been given exercises for the ITB but here's a good website with exercises that Ive found great.

http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/itb.htm

Thanks MaireC. I was given 3 exercises to do and have haphazardly done them over the last 3 weeks. Thanks for the link, gave me some extra info I didnt know. Im three weeks resting tomorrow and will venture out and see how it holds up.

Thanks Sungod- cant wait to be running free again!:)

2 miles of run/walking Wednesday 7th. Really not sure whats the best approach to getting back to regular running without injuring the itb again so Im going to follow the couch to 5k plan for as long as I can stick it and up the milage and time spent running if I still feel good after 2 or 3 weeks.

Great to be back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Good to see ye back in the swing of things. I have been lucky enough to not have a problem with my ITB, so unfortunately don't have much advice for that. I have hurt my knee before, and know that taking baby steps is the way to go, while ye try to fight the temptation of launching back into the fitness regime. So looking forward to seeing ye progress over the next few weeks, and hearing about a successful 10k Aware run in April.

Friday 9th -Day 2 of couch to 10k. 2.5 miles of walk/running. I say walk/running as so far the plan calls for about a 70/30 walking to running ratio. I nearly slipped on some ice, it was funny but no one round the share the laugh - I giggled to myself anyway :)

Saturday 10th- I was supposed to rest today but decided to do a late easy run/walk. 2.1 miles on the treadmill at my boyfriend's place.

So Im back running 5 days now and so far so good. ITB seems to be holding up well. I did day 3 of couch to 5k this morning with extra walking added at the end. 2.3 miles in total. Still stretching and iceing the area too.

It would be easy to do more but I think thats where I messed up before and ended up injured so slowly slowly for me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Bally8 wrote: »
    It would be easy to do more but I think thats where I messed up before and ended up injured so slowly slowly for me at the moment.

Quite right, I missed about 5 months last winter due to going back with too much too soon from an ITB injury. Take it handy, you'll get there.

God I dont even know where to start. Im SO frustrated. Went for a run Tuesday night and my ITB flared up again :(. I just dont know what I'm doing wrong. The running I have been doing recently is pityful in comparsion to what I've been doing before.

Take Tuesday night for example. I walked for 5 mins warm up, ran 90 seconds, walked 2 minutes and repeated this 4 times at a very slow pace. I felt good to start off with and felt I really could run much longer but didnt. Then I felt a niggle in my knee and wondered if I imagined it as Im hypersensitive to anything in that area now or was it a real problem. A few minutes later I knew it was a real problem as I got a sharp pain which became so bad I had to stop running and walk home.

Im so annoyed. My sister says I did too much too soon- but how can what Im doing be too much? I took 3 full weeks rest and came back extremely slowly. Im beginning to feel like I am not ment to be a runner!!

Oh also Im meeting my physio this evening so I'll see what he says. He is pushing for me to get an MRI but Im not sure.

I went for a 5.1 mile walk yesterday morning- probably not the best thing for my knee but it helped clear my head a bit. Im not going to give up on running. I'll try walking for a few weeks and then hopefully I'll be back in action. Walking kills me though-I never feel like Im actually getting proper exercise.

Had a good session with the physio. I'm hurting all down my right thigh- I think that might be a good sign. He has recommended that I take a week off completely and come to him again next week to be prodded and mashed around the place. Im beginning to accept that this is not the end of the world- I will come back and run again. Hopefully before the 31st March. That is when I'm planning to start HH Spring training which should lead to the 18 week marathon training. Fingers crossed.

Another session with physio last night- god it was painful! He is getting more confident that he is on the right track with my treatment so I'm going to stick with him. I'm allowed go for walks again so I will start back with that tomorrow. The proof of all this treatment, stretching and resting will be in the running I suppose- I wont know if its working until I go back running again.

2.35 mile walk on the treadmill- couldnt do any longer as my daughter was putting me on a major guilt trip "please watch a movie with me mom, PLEASE!!!' Also I tried out new runners and had to stop after a mile and change into my old ones as my heels were being eaten by the new ones. Hope its just because they are new. Really, really, really wanted to run but managed to keep myself in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If your shoes are eating your heels like that now, they're probably not the right ones. Was it that they were rubbing against your Achilles, or was it something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did you try wearing them around the house for a day? Usually helps a lot to break in a new pair.

I wore the runners today while doing my shopping in Tesco, couldnt wait to get home to get out of them. I was starting to get a blister on my right heel. Its weird because they are asics and I always wear asics. Did a short walk on the treadmill in my old runners, will wear the new ones around the house tomorrow after work and see if they feel any better.

• Advertisement

Session with physio last night was very sore. He wants me to run again this weekend but with my leg taped up just under my knee. Im scared...I think it might be too soon...

He says if it hurts again then we have to rethink the treatment as he cannot figure out exactly whats going on. Think I might try out one of those names you recommended to me MarieC.

Advertisement