Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ran/walked 2.5 miles on Saturday. ITB hurt after 3 mins but tried to keep running through it. Wasnt possible so I walked home. Physio doesnt know what to do with me so is referring me on for an MRI. Im going to try another physio as soon as funds allow.

Went for a 4.5 mile walk with friends yesterday. Loved the social side of exercising. I usually run alone so it was nice to have some company.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Hi Bally8, hope you're feeling ok. That injury you're carrying seems to be an awful curse :( a second opinion might be a good idea alright....though the MRI could give them some more information to work with. Hope you get sorted soon, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 villan1

Bally8 wrote: »
    Ran/walked 2.5 miles on Saturday. ITB hurt after 3 mins but tried to keep running through it. Wasnt possible so I walked home. Physio doesnt know what to do with me so is referring me on for an MRI. Im going to try another physio as soon as funds allow.

Went for a 4.5 mile walk with friends yesterday. Loved the social side of exercising. I usually run alone so it was nice to have some company.

Good luck with the MRI - hopefully it will help you get to the bottom of the cause of the injury. Can only imagine how frustrated you are feeling - hate being injured and out of action

Thanks McConkey and villian1- it really is very frustrating being out of action. I have never been so motivated to get out and exercise in all my life and so its killing me not being able to run.

I have been out walking a lot though recently. Three times this week so far, which is some achievement as my daughter is off school sick all week. Im scared of slipping back into my old ways of no exercise and just lying on the the courch eating chocolate all the time. So Im walking as much as possible to prevent that.

I was naughty today- I ran!

Im not supposed to be running at all but I couldnt help myself. Did 3.4 miles mostly walking with a tiny bit of running. No pain in the knee:D

Also did 10 mins on the rowing machine. I intend to use the rowing machine and go cycling as my cross training when I get into the marathon training plan so the 10 mins today were a start.

(Oh I also think I ran a bit today as Im afraid of being booted off the 1000 mile challenge for not actually running)

• Advertisement

3.5 miles of a walk/run today. Knee held up fine. I know I shouldnt be running but its so hard not to. It was about 75% walking anyway.

Another 10 mins on the rowing machine. I wonder will I get nice toned arms from it?

A 2.5 mile walk Wednesday morning. Motivation was starting to wane as Im still afraid of running so I'm glad I managed to go out and do it. Went to the doctor in the afternoon with my referral letter from the physio. He said there was no point in referring me on for an mri as I could be waiting up to 18 months as I only have a medical card and it would cost me over €500 to do it privately. So now Im at a standstill- no mri and no physio.

Have decided to carry on with my own plan- walking during the week for now and run/walks at the weekend for as long as the ITB holds up. Then if the injury comes back I will go to that physio in Limerick that MarieC recommended to me. Fingers crossed it doesnt come to that tho- looks like I'm going on a two day week soon so finances will be too tight for physio.

Ok change of plan- Im still mostly walking but doing some running during each walk too.

Friday 13th- 3.5 mile walk with a few 60 seconds jogging sections

Sunday 15th - 2.6 mile walk with a few mins jogging thrown in here and there. My boyfriend came with me and my daughter cycled with us. Its lovely to have the whole family out exercising together.

I know my ITB isn't up to me doing much more and Im not willing to just walk so I think the walks with small bits of running thrown in are a good compromise for now.

Will probably do a mile or two on the treadmill later as well

Sunday 15th pm

Walked/ran another 2.4 miles on the treadmill. Im liking this walk/run thing maybe I will end up doing the marathon that way.

3 miles on the treadmill-4 minutes walking 1 min running for 43 mins. I had planned to do an hour but nearly died of boredom. Usually I dont mind the treadmill but today was torture.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17th Feb- 2.5 mile walk/run, grand stretch in the evening:)

Wednesday 18th Feb- 5.1 mile walk with my OH. I ran a bit but he had a sore calf from soccer and culdnt run so we ended up walking for most of the distance. Had planned to do 10k but was bursting to pee so had to cut it short.

Friday 20th Feb- 3.5 miles with a friend- walk/run. Felt a niggle in my ITB near the end of the run. Im sure its still not better.

Saturday 21st Feb - 6.2 miles with 3 friends. There is a 10k route marked out from a race that was held 2 years ago so we followed that to get a time to aim to beat at Adare next weekend.

Sunday 22nd -Rest day. This week I walked/ran 6 days and covered 20.3 miles- almost as much as the whole of January put together!!

I cant wait until my ITB is fully better and I start spring training on March 31st.

6.2 miles with my OH. Not much running but now that I have decided to walk the Adare 10k on Sunday I decided to see how long it should take me. It took 90 mins today which is 3 minutes faster than last Saturday.

Im looking forward to the buzz which surrounds a race. It wil be my first time walking a race but I think I need to do it to keep up my motivation. Looks like a lot of boardsies who had intended to run Adare are injured or otherwise occupied but I am still thinking of sticking my username to the back of my jacket so if anyone notices me please come over and say hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Best of luck - hope everything goes well for you on Sunday! :)

Thanks rainbow kirby Im looking forward to it now.

Im going to go for a short walk/run tonight and again tomorrow, walk the 10k on sunday and then from next week on Im going to try to get back running- hopefully injury free :)

Only 4 weeks till I start HH spring training!! I cant wait- Im addicted- Im reading about marathons, talking about marathons and even dreaming about them so I cant wait until Im actually in a position to start properly training for one.

Friday 27th 2.8 mile walk with a very small bit of running.

Sat 28th 3.8 mile walk with even less running.

Sunday 1st March Adare 10k- 1hr 30mins. It was a lovely well organised race but has left me feeling very very deflated. My aim at the start of the year was to come to Adare and beat my time of 2 years ago- 62 minutes. However because I've been injured so long now I knew it wasnt going to happen. So walking it was good- it was nice to get out and experience a race but I just felt a bit crappy afterwards wishing I could have ran it.

But onwards and upwards- this week Im hoping to introduce alot more running and my next aim is to run/walk the Plassey 10k in 3 weeks time and beat the Adare time.

Oh also- I lost 5lbs in Feb- woohoo- but I had put 4lbs on in Jan so I cant be too over excited. Going in the right direction.

Oh and one more thing- I did 22.7 miles in total in January. February's total blew that out of the water- 65miles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

You're making good progress Bally8. The important thing is to keep putting the effort in. You're very enthustiastic about running, and this comes across in the way ye write. Don't let the frustration get you down, you'll be back out and running in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Bally8 wrote: »
    Friday 27th 2.8 mile walk with a very small bit of running.

Sat 28th 3.8 mile walk with even less running.

Sunday 1st March Adare 10k- 1hr 30mins. It was a lovely well organised race but has left me feeling very very deflated. My aim at the start of the year was to come to Adare and beat my time of 2 years ago- 62 minutes. However because I've been injured so long now I knew it wasnt going to happen. So walking it was good- it was nice to get out and experience a race but I just felt a bit crappy afterwards wishing I could have ran it.

But onwards and upwards- this week Im hoping to introduce alot more running and my next aim is to run/walk the Plassey 10k in 3 weeks time and beat the Adare time.

Oh also- I lost 5lbs in Feb- woohoo- but I had put 4lbs on in Jan so I cant be too over excited. Going in the right direction.

Oh and one more thing- I did 22.7 miles in total in January. February's total blew that out of the water- 65miles!!!
    Hi there,
    You'll be back in no time and better to get around the course and live to fight another day. i trained for a year for a race and had to pull out so feel your pain. But your day will come again, just keep up the good work.

Thanks guys the support means an awful lot to me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

You are getting back to it now Bally8, onwards and upwards :) Was hoping to get to Adare myself but sure these things happen, would have been nice to meet up with ye :)

Good luck with the training, we'll get there in the end.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 3rd March- 3.5 miles walk/run. 5 mins of walking followed by 1 min running for 48minutes.

Wednesday 4th March - 6.2 miles again 5 mins of walking followed by 1 min of running for 84 mins. ITB was niggling me towards the end and I was in pain going up and down the stairs for the rest of the day. Iced it and stretched it. Hope it will be ok by my next outing on Friday.

The plan now is to gradually decrease the minutes walking and increase the running- actually very gradually. So next week I will try 4 minutes walking and 1 min running. And pray that the ITB behaves itself.

Friday 6th March 3.5 miles walk/run in 44 mins. Felt good all the way- no pain in the IT band. However it was killing me on Saturday night when I was in the pub. I think it was from standing in killer heels for ages. I was at a 30th and it was my first time drinking in ages. Had a great night but was too ill yesterday to do any excercise. Dont plan on doing that again for a looong time!

Wed 11th March 6.2 miles walk 4 mins run 1.
    It took me 81 minutes which is great progress for me as 3 weeks ago I could only walk and not run and it took me 93 minutes.

My ITB was sore towards the end but not enough to have to stop. It hurt going down stairs for the rest of the day but is fine again today. Im not doing exercise again until tomorrow evening so Im hoping it will be ok to run on.

Sent off entry forms for myself, the boyfriend and another friend for the Plassey 10k this morning. The plan is to beat my Adare time of 1hr 30 mins- shouldnt be too difficult:)

Friday 13th March
    3.5 miles - 4 mins walking 1 min jogging. Took me 45 minutes tonight. I think it was a bit slower because I got totally distracted by a cool full rainbow and the most beautiful sunset I've seen in ages. Was running around with my head in the sky. Lovely :)

Sunday 15th March
    3.6 miles on treadmill + 10 mins on rowing machine. It was my first time on the treadmill in weeks and I found it very very boring. It usen't bore me so much before but I think Im used to running outside now. However it does have its advantages- I'm at my boyfriends house (soon to be mine too:)) for the weekend and he is working 12 hour shifts so I could not run outside as had no one to watch my daughter. The treadmill is a good compromise when a run is needed- threw on the Simpsons DVD for the millionth time and was free to go for over an hour in our makeshift gym.

Another bonus of having a treadmill is that no one gets to see my extreme red face syndrome- Ive been like this all my life, any bit of exertion and my face literally explodes off my...well face! I go puce and it takes over an hour to go back to normal colour. My arms go red too- not an attractive look. Im getting over my embarrassment about it though and its not stopping me running outside these days but I still get stares and comments thrown at me.

Ah well there could be a lot worse wrong with me:)

Wednesday 18th March
    4 miles in the glorious sunshine. I was supposed to do 6.2 but my heart wasnt in it for some reason. Still doing 4 min walk then 1 min run. ITB still hurting regularly.

Friday 20th March
    3.5 miles - 4 min walk 1 min run in 45 minutes. First time in ages that my ITB didnt hurt at all. I was delighted. Held a conversation the whole way too which tells me that either Im going way too slow or Im getting fitter (hope its the latter)

Saturday 21st March - Plassey 10k
    Really enjoyed the race on Saturday. Managed to complete it in 80 minutes which is 10 minutes faster than Adare 3 weeks ago. Had a fight with my OH for the first 2k as he started off way way too fast for me and I was sulking as I was already fit to collapse. Then I settled down and got over it and we decided to walk 3 mins and run 1 instead of the 4/1 ratio I had planned to do. It really paid off- each kilometer was faster than I have done all year. ITB didnt hurt either which makes me almost cry with relief- fingers crossed- maybe just maybe I have this thing beat!

Tuesday 24th March
    3.5 miles in 43 minutes. 3 min walk/ 1 min run. Really enjoyed it. No pain anywhere-woohoo. Boy was it stormy. I was lashed with rain and blown all over the place. It was great craic- I felt like I was in a battle with the elements.

Wednesday 25th March
    6.2 miles in 80 mins- 3 min walk/1 min run. Another great session. Felt good the whole way round. Would love to run more but Im going to be very very careful this time and hopefully the ITB will behave.

• Advertisement

Went on a 2 hour walk with my students yesterday. We had arranged a sponsored walk to raise money for an aminal shelter as part of their CSPE junior cert. It was great to get them out walking in the fresh air instead of being stuck in the classroom. Everyone was nearly fit to collapse by the time we got back though as none are used to regular exercise. Had to stop a fight between two of the lads at one stage. The joys...

Didnt add the miles to the 1000 mile challenge as it was a fun walk not part of my training.

Advertisement