Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

asimonov wrote: »
    Us "here goes"ers need to stick together, strength in numbers and all that.

lol I hadn't even spotted that :D but I think it captures that "oh God what was I thinking... I can't do this... but I have to.... okay here goes" train of thought that comes at the start of every run/ race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

asimonov wrote: »
    Us "here goes"ers need to stick together, strength in numbers and all that.

Agreed I definately need all the support I can get:)

Sat 11th July
    5 mile lsr. I ended up doing it on the treadmill...well cos I didnt want to get wet:o. Took me 55:05. I ran for 20 mins, walked for 60 secs, ran for 21 mins, walked for 60 secs then ran for 12:05. Im very very very happy with that. Not so long ago I was walking 5 mins for every 1 minute running. Whoop Whoop. Did the usual 0.5 mile warm up and cool down and stretches too.

Sunday 12th July
    Cross training 4 mile walk.

Total miles this week: 20.5
    Total miles marathon training: 60.2

Roll on week 4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

jesus Bally8 Well done.... :)
    You're doing great

• Advertisement

Thanks Munster_Gal Im plodding along, managing to stick to the training plan and it seems to be working so far. The 9 miles next weekend scares me but Im sure its achieveable. And chin up you- you can definately do this training- I was unsure for ages if I was up for this marathon craic, it will all come together for you soon I bet.

Week 4 Day 1 Monday 13th July
    Rest day today. I cant stop eating junk food, Im like a crazed addict for the last few weeks and I've been putting on about an lb each week as a result. Today so far I've had a big golden crisp, a double chocolate muffin and a bag of crisps as well as my brekkie and lunch and copious ammounts of water and diet coke. I decided to get my bike out to stop myself from eating more!!

So cycle number1 of 2009. I havent been on my bike in nearly a year. Now that Im living in such a scenic area I thought it would be nice to cycle to the lake and home again. Going down was great, flying along barely any need to peddle- all downhill, speeds of over 20 mph. I loved it. Spend a few minutes admiring the view then turned for home. A passing guy said 'you're in for it now love' and boy was he right. A continuous uphill for 2 miles. Nearly killed me, I could feel the burn in my thighs. Met some of my new neighbours a few hundred metres from home, I was delighted with the opportunity to stop and get my breath back.

All and all an enjoyable cycle, I will definately be doing more of them. I might cycle as my cross training sometimes instead of the walking. Hope I have no negative effects tomorrow when I try to run:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bally8 wrote: »
    Thanks Munster_Gal Im plodding along, managing to stick to the training plan and it seems to be working so far. The 9 miles next weekend scares me but Im sure its achieveable. And chin up you- you can definately do this training- I was unsure for ages if I was up for this marathon craic, it will all come together for you soon I bet.

You'll be fine with the 9 miles next week, just take it slow like you did with the 7 mile run. It's not that much more, and you'll feel really satisfied with yourself when you finish it.

You're right RK, I felt the same about the 7 miles and that was grand.

Tuesday 14th July
    3 miles in 29:40- ran the whole thing-NO WALKING!! I cant remember the last time I ran that distance without taking a walking break. Yippie. Did the usual 0.5 miles for warm up and cool down and stretches at start and end too.

• Advertisement

Well done Bally8:D that's a BIG milestone!

Are you thinking of the Boston Scientific 5k next week?

Wed 15th July
    4 miles in 38:50. Did 9 mins of running and 1 minute of walking sections today. Managed to do some fartlek on mile 2 only. I couldnt bring myself to do it on the third mile. Its possible I went out too fast on mile 1. Anyway Im happy with this session, dont want to push myself too hard and end up injured again.

littlebug wrote: »

Are you thinking of the Boston Scientific 5k next week?

Unfortunatly not littlebug, family committments in the way again. Best of luck with it.

Thursday 16th July
    3 miles in 30mins dead. Happy with it, just took my time. One walking break of 60 seconds in the middle.

Friday 17th July
    Thank God its rest day. My legs are very tired so I feel its important I dont do anything to stress them further today. Im going out tonight and I've even contemplating wearing flats (I ALWAYS wear heels on a night out:eek:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ducky1

well done Bally8! 3 miles in 30 mins is amazing!

I am still only managing 3 miles in 36 mins..

Rest day today thank god... 9 miles looming tmrw.... gulp.

I know the 9 miles is scary. I do my long runs on Sundays so I've at least got till then to psych myself up. Its going to be a tough one!

well best of luck with it. Let me know how you get on!

I will be having a well deserved glass/bottle of wine come saturday night thats for sure!

Oh make sure to fill me in on how it went for you too, hopefully it wont be so bad:)

Sat 18th July
    4 mile cross training walk.

I've been online all day waiting to read everyones reports on the 5 mile race. I wish I could have been there too. The reports about the squeeze at the start scare me a bit- hope its not like that for the marathon. I dont want to fall or something on the first mile after 6 months of preparation!

Sunday 19th July
    9 mile lsr in 1:31:38. Delighted with myself. It wasn't half as hard as I had imagined it would be. Longest distance ever!
    Started off tough- my heels were very stiff and sore at the back, the achiles (cant spell) I think. After about 2 miles they loosened out though and werent a problem after that. However I was uncomfortable for the first 3 miles and was wondering how in the hell would I be able for another 6 if the first 3 were so tough on me. Then for some reason on mile 4 I started for feel really good and kind of enjoyed myself till I had six miles done. Then my knee started to hurt and every other part of my body I could think of but I had a stern word with myself and realised that I was actually grand. Got a second wind for mile 8 and felt really really strong for a while. The for the last half mile I seemed to get a weird cramp in the arch of my left foot- dont know what thats about. Kept up the pace though and was delighted to get back to the car in just over an hour and a half.

I had built the nine miles up to be so huge in my head that I nearly psyched myself out of actually doing it. After today Im much more confident and next weeks 10 miler doesnt seem so scary at all:)

• Advertisement

I had built the nine miles up to be so huge in my head that I nearly psyched myself out of actually doing it. After today Im much more confident and next weeks 10 miler doesnt seem so scary at all:)
    Best way to look at it if you ask me - "It's only a little bit more" :)

Also, trust me, when you can run 10 miles you can run 13.1 ;)

Thanks RK it was your advice that I kept in my mind today- that look at the extra 2 miles as 20 minutes of running and not look at the whole 9 miles together as this huge distance. So thanks a million your support is really helping me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Congratulations! That's fantastic, you are rocking it :D

Bally8 you're flying it now! That's great running!

well done Bally8 on running the 9 miles!

I was dreading it as well...but managed it.. took me 1hr 44 but I got there...

feeling much more positive about the 10 mile on Sat now...

Ducky1 wrote: »
    well done Bally8 on running the 9 miles!

I was dreading it as well...but managed it.. took me 1hr 44 but I got there...

feeling much more positive about the 10 mile on Sat now...

Thats great ducky, well done. We can so do this!

Week 5
    Tuesday 21st July

Motivation at a low today. I just didnt want to do my run. I had no energy and sat around for most of the day eating and sleeping. Thought about giving up running for good and becoming obese but finally got off my backside at 8 and did my 3 miles on the treadmill with my 0.5 mile warm up and cool down. 3 miles in 29:55 walked for 1 minute in the middle.

Back on track for tomorrow, will squeeze my 5 miles in around wedding dress shopping. Not sure about the strides though- they are hard and I am against hard stuff at the moment:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Week 5
    Tuesday 21st July

Thought about giving up running for good and becoming obese

hahaha glad i'm not the only one plagued by such thoughts. you can do it!

Wed 22nd July
    5 miles in 50:11. Did not enjoy a minute of it. In fact I wasnt going to run at all today but then I watched yesterdays episode of the Biggest Loser and decided to get off my arse. After 10 minutes I was thinking of just walking instead but pushed on, same after 2.5 miles, same after 4.5 then just hung on till the end. Only took two 1 minute walking breaks in the whole run which I recognise as fantastic progress but it was definately a drudge today.

In other news I think I found my dress for the wedding. I love love love it,trying one more shop tomorrow and if I dont find anything that betters it I will be ordering the one from today. Yippie!

• Advertisement

Ooh cool! Any pics of the dress, or will we have to wait?

Advertisement