Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh im not sure I can- my OH sometimes reads my thread so I wouldnt like him to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Bally8 wrote: »
    Oh im not sure I can- my OH sometimes reads my thread so I wouldnt like him to see it.

send us a private message :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ducky1

Bally8 - well done on the 5 miles.

I must admit this has been the hardest week of running - I have felt very much the same as you. Its been an uphill struggle all week .. even the 3 miles today...

Need to keep going though.. the 10 miles on Saturday are fast approaching!

and to think you are planning your wedding at the same time as all this. I got married end of last year and the planning took up so much time!! It will all be worth it though - trust me!

Thanks Ducky the wedding is a long way off yet so it hasnt caused any extra stress -yet!

I took yesterday off as an unplanned rest day. Just wanted a day off. So instead of my rest day today I did 3.3 miles on treadmill and my usual 0.5 miles warm up and cool down. I also did the weights routine suggested on the Hal Higdon website and all the stretches. Im a bit concerned that I did 3 runs on the treadmill this week. Im having a bad week motivation wise and think I need to be out on the road or else its not real training:confused:. I suppose its a good thing that I still managed to do the milage required even if it was without enthusiasm.

My weekend is a bit hectic so Im not sure how my 10 miler will go. Im off out tonight (going to give the booze a miss though). Im busy with stuff all day tomorrow so I will miss my usual Saturday cross training walk. Im going out drinking with the girls back home tomorrow night so I dont know how that will affect Sundays 10 mile run (which I dont really want to do right now anyway). If worst comes to the worst I will put it off until Monday.

I really hope I get my motivation back soon, right now Im getting tired of it all:(

Oh I forgot to add that I ran the whole 3.3 miles in 32:45 which Im very happy with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Thanks Ducky the wedding is a long way off yet so it hasnt caused any extra stress -yet!

I took yesterday off as an unplanned rest day. Just wanted a day off. So instead of my rest day today I did 3.3 miles on treadmill and my usual 0.5 miles warm up and cool down. I also did the weights routine suggested on the Hal Higdon website and all the stretches. Im a bit concerned that I did 3 runs on the treadmill this week. Im having a bad week motivation wise and think I need to be out on the road or else its not real training:confused:. I suppose its a good thing that I still managed to do the milage required even if it was without enthusiasm.

My weekend is a bit hectic so Im not sure how my 10 miler will go. Im off out tonight (going to give the booze a miss though). Im busy with stuff all day tomorrow so I will miss my usual Saturday cross training walk. Im going out drinking with the girls back home tomorrow night so I dont know how that will affect Sundays 10 mile run (which I dont really want to do right now anyway). If worst comes to the worst I will put it off until Monday.

I really hope I get my motivation back soon, right now Im getting tired of it all:(

Oh I forgot to add that I ran the whole 3.3 miles in 32:45 which Im very happy with

Awe well done Bally8 - seems like we've switched places though. I feel great with all my running this week and you've taking over from me :( You'll get through it though. Don't give in to the negative thoughts. I'm glad now that I didn't.

• Advertisement

keep going Bally8 - you're doing great!

my 10 miler was tough on Saturday but I managed it... it was such a great feeling as well.

keep feeling positive !! You can do it!

Thanks Ducky1 and Munster Gal. I took the whole weekend off and came back refreshed and did my 10 miles today.

Had a hectic alcohol fueled weekend which made it impossible to do any exercise. Drink and running definately do not mix. There was no way in hell I could do my 10 miles yesterday.

So this morning I got up early had the weetabix and headed out. I was very nervous about the run- I woke a few times during the night thinking about it. As my running hasnt been pleasurable this past week I was worried it would be torture today. And it was! Well for the first 6 miles or so. I carried a bottle of water with me which I dumped after 2 miles as it was a mare trying to carry it. Then my jacket was too hot so I took off the sleves and but I was still roasting and praying for rain so off came the jacket. I just left it on a wall somewhere. I had never ran this route before. My boyfriend and I drove it last week and he pointed out where to start and where to turn at 5 miles. It was awful not knowing how far I had gone. After 10 minutes I guessed I must have been about a mile and 20 for 2 but it was all guess work and the road seemed soooo long. But then I got to the 5 mile mark and was amazed to be there in 47 minutes. Then I realise thats why it was torture- I was running way too fast for a lsr. I slowed the pace down a bit and from about 6.5 miles to the end I was crusing. I dont know what happened but it was no longer difficult, my legs just ran and my breathing was perfect- it was almost enjoyable:). Got back to my car in 1:39 exactly. Really really happy with that.

I know I just had a ****ty week. Hopefully thats all over me now. All my lsr so far have been very successful and give me great confidence for the marathon itself.

Only problem today was that after about 7 miles my runners started to hurt on the inner sides of both heels. Weird place to be getting blisters. Hope it was just my socks as I was loving asics kayanos. I thought they were the bees knees. Hope I dont have to try find better runners for myself.

Oh also I forgot to say- Im still doing my lsr at 9 minutes running 1 minute walking throughout. Think I will extend the running bits to 12 or 15 minutes from this week on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Well done!! What a star!!! Ten miles at less than ten minute pace!! :D:D

Thanks a mill goofygirl- I cant quite believe it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Wow Bally8 I am so impressed! Well done...you're really taking off now girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good stuff! :)

Thanks girls. If it wasnt for the support I get on this forum I know I would have totally give up by now, like I have done so many times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Well done Bally8, it's great to hear about the successes people have :) good for the motivation, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

That's great stuff bally8, 10 min miles with walking breaks, that's seriously impressive, you are well on target

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play to you missis, that's brilliant. Did you go back and get your jacket?:)

well done Bally8 - 10 miles in an amazing time!

racheljev wrote: »
    Fair play to you missis, that's brilliant. Did you go back and get your jacket?:)

Hahaha it was actually gone when I went back but my boyfriend was out on a 6mile walk along the same route as my run and he saw it on the wall and took it. I had a few minutes of confusion when I went to get it and saw it was gone but saw it in his car about half an hour later!

Week 6 Day 1 29th July

So because I did my 10miler on Monday instead of Sunday I've pushed everything back a day this week and will skip Friday's rest day to get back on track. Today was 3 miles for me so and I did it in 29:38. No walking breaks again so Im very happy with that. Did my usual 0.5 mile warm up and cool down and stretches too as I always do when I run on the treadmill. I dont seem to bother with them when I run outside.

I'm just marvelling at how far you've come since starting this log. Go on ye good ting! There'll have to be one or two celebratory tipples for us all on 26 October methinks :)

Thanks goofygirl:D. I really think a few drinks is a great idea. Im going to come to Dublin on the Sunday of the marathon weekend and will be staying until Tuesday. Plan would be to rest after the marathon and hopefully meet up with any other boardsies later on in the evening. I would love to meet everyone who has supported me here in person.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are back to form now Bally8 - well done. Keep going!

week 6 is nearly done now of the training ..the 7 miles on Sat doesn't seem as daunting now that we've done the 10 miler don't you think!

Ducky1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are back to form now Bally8 - well done. Keep going!

week 6 is nearly done now of the training ..the 7 miles on Sat doesn't seem as daunting now that we've done the 10 miler don't you think!

I know it really doesnt seem like a big deal at all! my motivation is totally back this week. Because my long slow runs have all been very successful I have a renewed faith in the training program. We will get there:D

Thurs 30th July
    5 miles today including LT training for 2 miles. Took me 49:26 in total. I took the first mile nice and slowly and then upped the tempo for the next 2 miles. I did one in 9:03 and the next in 9:09. I didnt realise I could run those kind of times:). Then I really took the foot off the pedal and slowly plodded the last 2 miles. I was a mile away from my car so I had a leisurely stroll to finish up. I took three 60 second walking breaks in total. I felt awful as usual for the first 3ish miles then things just seemed to fall into place and it got easier. I think longer distances at a very slow pace suit me way more that short quick sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think longer distances at a very slow pace suit me way more that short quick sessions.
    Sometimes I feel the same way too... a really nice easy long run feels SO good, while a short fast run can sometimes feel like a bit of a shock to the system.

Friday 31st July
    3.5 miles on the treadmill- NO way was I going out in that storm! Anyway did 3 miles in 29:26 all running again. Pushed it to 6.5mph every now and then. Felt good and strong throughout. I definately have my mojo back. Cant wait till this weekends lsr. What a difference a week makes eh?:)

Sat 1st August
    Today should be my 7 mile lsr or a cross training walk. However because I moved last weeks lsr back to Monday I have already completed 23 miles this week and my legs are begging for mercy. I think I will leave the 7 miles until tomorrow and I will see later on today if I go on the walk. It probably would be a good idea to do it though.

In other news Im sick of feeling sick in the mornings because of all the crap I've eaten the night before. From Monday Im going to try improve my diet and stop this gradual increase in my weight I've been having for the last 2 months or so. I cant stop eating rubbish!!! *I have to wait until Monday as Im going out tonight and going to an all you can eat chinese tomorrow:D

Week 6 Summary
    Monday- 10 mile lsr run from week 5 in 1:39:00
    Tuesday - rest
    Wed - 3.5 miles (3 miles in 29:38 + 0.5 easy cool down)
    Thursday - 5 miles in 49:26 which included 2 miles of LT training (+ 1 mile brisk walk back to my car)
    Friday - 3.5 miles (3 miles in 29:26 + 0.5m easy cool down)
    Saturday- 3 mile brisk walk
    Sunday - 7 mile lsr in 1:11:28

33 miles in total this week. My legs are very tired and Im back to walking like an auld woman. Even though I did a lot of milage I had a great week. I still dont love love love running while Im doing it but every now and then everything falls into place and I have moments of enjoyment. I always feel great when Im finished though:D

Well earned rest day today

Roll on Week 7

Week 7
    I seem to be living in a pattern these past few weeks- a good week followed by a bad one and I have a feeling this week will be no different. Great week last week- terrible week so far this week

I started my new healthy eating routine on Monday, cutting out all the rubbish and diet coke. Wow have I been suffering since. Its like Im going through sugar withdrawls or something- I have a constant headache, Im wrecked tired and so so so irritable, my poor boyfriend doesnt know whats hit him. Yesterday I felt so ****ty I decided not to do any exercise. In fact for about 10 minutes I thought about never running or exercising again.

This morning I ate porridge for the brekkie for the first time in ages and headed off for my 6 miles. It totally did not go to plan. I was confused about the PMP thing as I have no idea what time I plan to run each mile in, I just want to get to the end alive.

I decided to do the first two miles in about 10minute mile pace and then maybe 9.30 for the second 2 then slow down again for the last two. However I was struggling after 5 minutes and I never got to a place where I felt good. After 3 miles in 29:13 I decided to stop. I thought I was going to get sick, I was dizzy and way too hot but v cold along my back at the same time. I walked 1 mile back to the car feeling very disappointed with myself.

I ate a good lunch there and Im feeling better about the whole thing now. I will just push back the sessions by a day so I dont loose out this week hopefully. Im going to try the 6 miles again tomorrow but I think I will treat it as a lsr instead of pushing for speed.

Don't be disheartened Bally 8 - you are doing really well!

I am as confused as you about the PMP thing ..I just want to make it accross the finish line.

I bet you'll do the 6 miler tmrw no problem at all!

Just think how far you have come already

• Advertisement

ooh detoxing and marathon training at same time :( my tactic is to get through the next eleven and a half weeks By Any Means Necessary

Advertisement