Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here goes....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wed 19th Aug
    7 miles in 1:12:36. I have been thinking (again) and I realise that I dont have a PMP or a LSR pace, they are in fact the same. I just go out and try to cover the required distance as quickly as possible on the day without killing myself. So I decided from today I would try slow down on the longer runs and aim at 11 minute miles as Im hoping to do 10:30ish minute miles in the Marathon itself. So I did my best to keep it slow. At times I thought that if I went any slower I would be going backwards:). I took 6 one minute walking breaks and I intend to keep them in there for all my lsr and the marathon itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Bally8 wrote: »
    At times I thought that if I went any slower I would be going backwards

I know what you mean! I had to do my seven miler last night after having run the half marathon on Sunday so I took it slooooow. I felt like I'd have been making more progress if I'd been jogging on the spot. Turns out I did 10:14 min/miles in the end which surprised me cause I thought I was doing at least 11:30 min/miles.

I'm so, so, so tired today at work though I could cry.

Wed 19th Aug
    At times I thought that if I went any slower I would be going backwards:)..

Whats funny is that this time last year when I only went for the occasional run my pace was much slower than yesterdays almost backwards pace and I used to think I was flying. Shows how much Im improving in suppose:)

Firday 21st Aug
    I didnt manage to fit the 4 miler in yesterday-our lawn had turned into a jungle so we had it burnt off a few weeks back so spent all day yesterday between the rain showers strimming and raking all the waist high weeds and grass up. Major workout but no time or energy for running after.

Today I did my 4 miles on the treadmill as I had no one to mind the child. I actually enjoyed it. Took me 39:48 and I decided not to do the strides, just take it easy to protect my heel. I did 10 mins on the rowing maching and HH weights and stretches too. Nice workout. Also I ran the whole 4 miles - first time I've ran that far without a walking break in well over a year. Happy days:D

LIfe stuff kind of took over my marathon training this weekend so I didnt get my usual cross training in on Saturday. However I went out on Sunday fully prepared to do my 10 miles. I had a plan to go nice and slow, to protect the achilles and just cover the miles. Still dont know my PMP so I was aiming for 10:30 minute miles. The first 3 miles were great then it started lashing rain. I have never been so soaked in my life. I wanted to keep going to the end but by 4 miles my tshirt was completely see through, my skin seemed to be glowing through it, I was sloshing around in my runners, it was like they just filled up with water and I was getting splashed by every car that passed- horrible dirty water in my face and mouth at one point!!

You get to a point where you are so wet it doesnt matter but by 5 miles I felt a stone heavier and then my eyes started to blurr and sting from the product in my hair and my moisturiser being washed into them. So I stopped at my car at mile 6. I did it in 58 minutes which is actually a great time for me:)

I was really disappointed as I want to stick to the programme completelly especially the long runs so I was planning to do the 10 miles today instead but a very late night after Portroe losing the north tipp final ended that plan. I think I will just forget what I've missed out on and continue on with the programme for this week.

Have my physio (Naturopathy massage actually)tomorrow so hopefully my achilles pain with be sorted out.

• Advertisement

3miles on treadmill today with 10 mins on rowing machine and HH weights and stretching routine.

Went for my sports massage which was lovely but I nearly collapsed when she asked me to pay - €120!:eek: I suppose it also included a months worth of magnesium and a herbal tonic for my low energy. The bad thing about it all is that I still dont know whats the story with my achiles tendon. She couldnt tell me what was actually the problem other than all the running is stressing it. So now I will have to make an appointment with a real physio to find out what is really going on.

Wed 26th Aug
    7 miles in 1.09.56 - sprinted the last 100m to get in under the 70mins:D
    Good run, no real bother. My achiles pain was up at about a 5 out of 10 when usually I would call it a 3 or 4 but on the plus side it only lasted 5 minutes and then I was fine- usually it can hurt for 15 mins. Major cramp in my right foot when I stopped running but it went after 2 minutes and a little stretching.

So I took my first doses of the €60 tonics and spent the morning trying to recover. The minute the stuff hit the back of my throat I was spewing it back up and then fighting for half an hour to stop my stomach giving up its entire contents. I actually had to go back to bed and put my run off until this afternoon as is felt sooooo sick. What a waste of money- I cant do that to myself every day, I would prefer to be tired all the time instead of sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hope the physio sorts you out with that Achilles problem. You're doing great by the sounds of it anyway! That tonic stuff sounds woeful, paying 60 for feeling worse!

Fri 28th Aug
    4.5 miles on treadmill, very easy pace as I have the 15 miler tomorrow morning eek:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Fri 28th Aug
    4.5 miles on treadmill, very easy pace as I have the 15 miler tomorrow morning eek:eek:

Best of luck for tomorrow bally8, you'll be fine I promise. I did 16 three weeks ago and it is not as bad as I thought it would be.

I have 17 on Sunday and I'm eeking aswell :eek: I know it will be fine though. Take your time. Your trainig is going great

• Advertisement

Saturday 29th Aug
    15 miles in 2:37:11. YIPPIE!!!:D:D:D
    I cant believe I ran 15 miles and Im ok. I was pretty cool about it for the afternoon since I came home but its just hit me- little ole me ran 15 miles today. I actually think I have the right to say I ran it as I only took a few 45 second walking breaks- 6 I think.

Cant say it was easy but it was never impossible and although the last half mile hurt I felt I could definately do more. I started off in the usual manner- wondering why I do this to myself and wanting to give up before I had even a mile done but I told myself to cop on and kept going. I took a gel between mile 6 and 7. It was easier today than last time- 3 big gulps, retching and tears for second gulp, a swig of water and a few gummy bears and I was off again. It took me 4 minutes to do all that though, I really must work on getting the gel into me quicker. After that I was grand, sometimes roasting from the sun, sometimes freezing from the wind I had to battle against but always fine. Started getting pains in my arches, knees and some weird pain in my right butt cheek for the last half mile but I hobbled on.

Great week really. I havent managed to fit any cross training in for the last 2 weeks so I'll have to work on that next week. Have a christening in cork tomorrow so cant do it then.

Anyway thats Week 10 done. 30 miles done this week, 245.2 since the start of marathon training and 575.3 since start of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one! I'll be doing my 15-miler tomorrow, the lure of my bed and football got to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

That's brilliant, well done you! Think I'll see how this week goes and maybe I'll have a go next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Feck that's brilliant! You've got the stamina and the speed now :) Just think, we'll only have to do 3 training runs longer than that before DCM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's great running Bally8- well done! 15 miles seems soooo long to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

The first thing that got me when I read this log was you went out and ran two and a half miles when it was dark and freezing. That's motivation right there, and if you keep that up, you'll reach all the goals you set. Best of luck, and enjoy the training!

^From waaayyy back when you first started your log:) Well done on running 15 miles! Onwards and upwards:D

Thanks everyone for the great support. I really feel if I hadnt found the A/R/T forum last year I would never have gone beyond those 2.5 miles! Im still buzzing going around today- telling anyone who will listen that I did 15 miles yesterday. Cant wait for my next run:D

Well done bally8, feckin great stuff, I told ya it wouldn't be that bad :)

Monday 31st Aug
    So I decided to take a suggestion from amadeus in the mentoring thread and I did 4 miles with 2 LT today. Im going back to work tomorrow after 2 months off and I know I will be wrecked so thats really what drove me to get the run in a day early this week. Really enjoyed the run, sweated buckets but that made me feel hardcore:D.

Wed 2nd Sept
    8 miles in 1.19.56 I sprinted to the end to get in under the 1hr 20 mins:D. Grand run, always felt comfortable, so much so that I ran mile 5 in 9.11! Got soaked but thats part of the course nowadays. Achilles still tender but not stopping me running so Im choosing to cross my fingers and hope it will go away.

• Advertisement

'par for the course' tee hee hee

<wears a cheeky smile and exits quickly>

Ha ha oh my god- total bimbo moment. :D You would never guess Im an English teacher! Morto!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi Bally8, just checking in to see how you are doing as havent been keeping up to date with ye in ages. My God you are doing fantastic. Last time I read your log you were trying 1-2mile runs, with walking and running and now you are doing 15miles!!! Amazing!!! Keep it up now and stay motivated. The feeling on crossing that finish line in Dublin will be like nothing you've ever experienced.

Excellent work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I too cannot believe the progress yourself and other's have made over the last few months. Great running so far, and best of luck next Month.

Thanks a mill Marie and Roddy, cant wait for Dublin now. I really started my training for this last March, so have put months of effort into this. I keep thinking back to when I was walking 5 mins and running 1 at the start, I never imagined I would still be here now almost ready for the marathon!

Have been very busy and tired since I went back to work last week. Thank god I only do a 3 day week!! Now that I have moved I spend over 2 hours a day in the car and its taking me a while to get used it. Im sure by next week I will be fully in the swing of it.

So since I last posted:

Friday 4th Sept- 4 miles on treadmill, ran it at 6mph, nice and easy
    Sunday 6th Sept- 16 miles in 2.46.52. Was supposed to get up early and do it but was too wrecked to get out of bed, then I decided to spend an hour putting new music on my mp3 instead of running, then I phoned a friend for a chat- I did everything I could to put it off but at 1.30 I couldnt avoid it any more so I went for it. No real bother in the end, it was grand. I mostly did 20mins running with a few 45sec walking breaks. Oh and I was fine taking the gel, 3 big gulps 2 wine gums and it was down. Home in time for the 2nd half of all Ireland- really thought tipp were going to do it:(

Tuesday 8th Sept- Had planned to do 4 miles as per schedule but by the time I was home and had my daughter fed and out the door to camogie and houswork done it was too late

Wed 9th Sept- 8 miles in 1.18.34. Realised after 5 miles that I was taking things a little too easy so upped the pace for the last 3 miles. Felt really good.

So I'm starting to get a bit concerned here. Since I went back to work I havent been able to follow the training schedule at all. I missed my run on Tuesday and now Im just in the door- starving and wrecked by the time I have my dinner eaten my daughter will be home and I wont get a chance to run tonight either. So its starting to look like I cant fit in my 2 short runs on the proper days because of being back at work. Scared much:eek:

Im thinking I will do 6 miles tomorrow to try make up for missed milage and then my 12 miler on Saturday. No chance to fit in cross training this weekend either- that will be the 4th week missing a session. I really really hope I can settle down next week and fit my runs in after work, otherwise I'm screwed!!

Fri 11th Aug
    6.8 miles with two 30 second walking breaks. Horrible horrible horrible. Firstly I kept getting a stitch and then I felt like I was going to puke- those 4 brownies I ate beforehand might have had something to do with that. Then my left arch hurt then my right achilles. Still felt sick an hour after the run. Not good.

I cant deny the achilles problem any longer. I put off going to the physio in case it was told I couldnt run the marathon. Now I realise I cant put it off so I will make an appointment for next week.

Saturday 12th Sept
    12 miles in 1.59.20. Very hot, was very thirsty. Had planted the purple lucozade sport along the route but I found it hard to drink as its way too sweet. Made me burp a lot!!

Thats the end of Week 12. Only managed 3 runs this week. I plan to get back on track next week with my eating and running the proper amount on the proper days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Saturday 12th Sept
    12 miles in 1.59.20. Very hot, was very thirsty. Had planted the purple lucozade sport along the route but I found it hard to drink as its way too sweet. Made me burp a lot!!

Thats the end of Week 12. Only managed 3 runs this week. I plan to get back on track next week with my eating and running the proper amount on the proper days.

Good running Bally 8, back to back 7 and 12 milers is impressive. i find sports drinks sickly sweet - have you thought of buying a powder mix to make up yourself - they tend to be a little bit easier to consume. I think high5 do one but there's probably others as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've been a powerbar powder mix drinker myself, but these days, I'm find water that much easier to take and far more enjoyable. I'll leave the isotonics to before the run in future. good running Bally8. Skip the brownies the next time though. :)

Advertisement