Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama : off to get his rescue pup.

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

I've been following the election through the animal rights and care2 site and I am so glad someone who has already done so much in his own states now gets to do it for the hole of America. :D

It was important for me to watch because most countries look upon America to lead the way in every thing and set an ex sample.

He even said in his winning speech that they were going to go and get their new puppy :D

He even got the backing of the American Humane Society of America.

It's about time we had some one in power in the world who will stand up for them and help to change the laws and I do believe know he's done it before and he will continue to do it now.

Well done Obama no better man for the job.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I didn't realise Obama supported animal rights but I'm glad to hear it -- I like him even more now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I didn't know that either, that's great! he seems really nice anyway, am so glad he won. Unlike that Palin thing, she was only interested in shooting anything that moved I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd love to see them take in an ABT.. Maybe he could take one off EGAR when he's over visiting the ol' sod in Offaly.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hahahahaha sorry - I know that the users of this forum are reasonable people who understand that it's deed not breed, but could you just imagine if the Obama family adopted a bull breed of any variety?!

I'm betting it'll be either some scruffy looking terrier, or some lab-collie cross - something black and white with floppy ears. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My bet: Labradoodle or something like that.

It's a publicity stunt - he's a fecking politician. If he was so interested in Animal Welfare why did he wait until his election to get a rescue dog?

Pffft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Great he's getting a rescue pup but it does scream publicity stunt.
    Or mabey the white house has a larger garden lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I wonder if he's checked the terms of his lease at his new address - are pets allowed?:D

Well Clinton had a dog lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well Clinton had a dog lol

I think he called it Hillary, I know it had pups too!.

• Advertisement

Nah Hillary was the old crow was thinking more along the lines of Monnika (sp?) Lewinski

Sorry OP gone off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I heard him say that he was going to get a puppy, but where/when did he say it was going to be a rescue?!?

There was no word on the type of dog the Obama family will chose although Michelle Obama indicated in a television interview during the campaign they would like to adopt a rescue dog. Mr Obama had promised his children a dog whether or not he won the election.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3387309/Barack-Obama-puppy-to-follow-in-pawprints-of-presidential-pets.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Maggie.23 wrote: »
    I didn't realise Obama supported animal rights but I'm glad to hear it -- I like him even more now. :)

Don't confuse animal rights with Animal Welfare. Two completely separate things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

He didn't get a dog before this because of all the traveling he's had to do in the last 2 yrs for the election.

People in animal rights, welfare and those trying to change the laws have all back him since he changed and introduced new laws were he was in positions to do so I'm not sure what the goverment rankings are in America but he is also the first one to be openly back by Animal rescue centre's I think that says enough.

If you want to check some of it out have a look at the care petitionsite and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know what rescue but I do believe from a few things I've read today he said he was going to get the puppy as part of his speech to give any one who has been working hard for animals the thumbs up to let them know he still intended to help the animals and it wasn't a broken promise.

Don't confuse animal rights with Animal Welfare. Two completely separate things.

Seperate but connected. Surely animal rights is a cause grounded in animal welfare, and, in proclaiming his interest in adopting a rescue dog, Obama, as a man who knows that his actions will be analyzed politically, is suggesting an interest in animal rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Politically and in actions completely different!

What people like Egar does is animal welfare, what organisations/people involved like PETA or ALF is animal rights which is twisted and dangerous.

We have human rights, which recognise amongst other things our right to freedom from unnecessary cruelty. Animal rights seek to set down similar basic standards. How can this be a bad thing? The violent activism or questionable tactics associated with some animal rights groups should not lead us to dismiss animal rights as a concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I'm such a sap I got very emotional on the drive to work yesterday and cried when he announced about the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Awww I love Obama :D
    I don't know why, there is just something about him I love!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

EGAR wrote: »
    My bet: Labradoodle or something like that.

It's a publicity stunt - he's a fecking politician. If he was so interested in Animal Welfare why did he wait until his election to get a rescue dog?

Pffft.

I don't care what stunt it is, if its one less pooch getting PTS in a pound then I'm all for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

I'm turning into such an Obama fan girl... ok, maybe not turning in the present/future tense...

Got so teary when he said they'd earned the puppy... and now to find it's a rescue pup?

Could he just mug a granny or something and become more human please?

Love that president elect... Yes. We. Did.

I'm turning into such an Obama fan girl... ok, maybe not turning in the present/future tense...

Got so teary when he said they'd earned the puppy... and now to find it's a rescue pup?

Could he just mug a granny or something and become more human please?

Love that president elect... Yes. We. Did.

Hehe
    I thought I was the only one!
    I have pics of him ( I think he's quite hot :p)
    I also watch all the videos of him on bebo, especially the 'yes we can' music video. I got all teary when they had this thing on RTE where they went back to Martin Luther King doing his 'I have a dream' speech up to Obama :o
    [I think we are being brainwashed :)]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Glad to here you's are enjoying the thread.

Just to clear somethings up, he has already proven in the state he was Senator (or what ever they call them) in that he pushed to change laws and welfare for animals, he's already put his money were his mouth is this is why the main animal society of America openly backed him.

As for welfare and rights I believe they go hand in hand with one backing the other. It would be pointless to keep saving animals and re-homing them if the laws didn't protect them in their new homes. I think that animals rights is being confused more with activist than anything.

I'm all three and always will be.

Big pat on the back for how ever post the first picture of the new puppy.

I agree with animalcrazy that Obama is hot. Something very fanciable about the most powerful man in the world liking puppies. :)
    I also agree with Blackcat2008 that animal welfare and animal rights need each other and should work together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

ISDW wrote: »
    I wonder if he's checked the terms of his lease at his new address - are pets allowed?:D

There is precedent;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidential_pets

iguana wrote: »

I love that John Adams had a dog called Satan.:D

Maggie.23 wrote: »
    I agree with animalcrazy that Obama is hot. Something very fanciable about the most powerful man in the world liking puppies. :) .

:):P

Ooops, I didn't expect to meet hormonal teens on a pet board :D.

I am sorry to say that Obama and his ilk leave me stone cold. I've got nothing against the man and wish him the best of luck but I will judge him in a few years time when he's actually had the chance to prove whether he means what he says or not.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    I am sorry to say that Obama and his ilk leave me stone cold. I've got nothing against the man and wish him the best of luck but I will judge him in a few years time when he's actually had the chance to prove whether he means what he says or not.

I feel exactly the same. My impression from him is that he speaks incredibly eloquently but he says nothing. I have no real idea what the man stands for. I certainly hope that he proves my doubts groundless, but I'm skeptical. Though I prefer him to McCain and "pay for you own rape kit" Palin.

Advertisement