Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

humanji wrote: »
    Forgot all about that nuke scene. It was fantastic. It's rare that a game does something that unexpected and
    playing the dying moments of your character
    was a bizarre feeling.

+ 1
    I was enjoying the USMC missions and was praying that this really wasn't the end of them. It took a few minutes before it sank in that there was no way in hell anyone could walk away from that.The final scene of the game was brilliant as well. Pure action brilliance. Did anybody else pump the entire magazine into the baldy ****er first time?? :D

Also , I have to say MGS3 is still in my top 3 endings of all time. That theme music creeping in as you battle in the snowfield...absolutley brilliant. And the 60 minutes of cutscenes after it really drew the story to a close very well (snake visiting the grave etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Opening FFVII sequense, at the time it was streets ahead of everything else.

Resi 1 walking in on the zombie feeding.

Sands of time, first time turning back time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

humanji wrote: »
    And even though the game itself was fairly meh, the part in Crysis where you're advancing to the centre of the island and you see the mountain in front of you crumbling away to reveal a huge alien craft. I thought it looks incredible and I actually stopped moving to just watch it fall apart.

For me the moment in Crysis where You called in the airstrike was amazing, made me feel gaming had been brought to a whole new level. The graphics, the sound, the explosion, the Eax effects, the physics. Especially with a 24' monitor and 600W 5.1 around my head :D, heres some pics:

crysis642008-08-0423-05-17-28.jpg
    crysis642008-08-0423-05-19-21.jpg
    crysis642008-08-0423-05-22-35.jpg
    crysis642008-08-0423-05-23-54.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm sorry I just threw up into my mouth a little.

wow really iteresting input there.............:rolleyes:

also forgot,
    Brothers in Arms-Hells Highway, When Eindhoven starts getting bombed in the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Killinator wrote: »
    wow really iteresting input there.............:rolleyes:

Perhaps my statement was not simplistic enough for you. Allow me to translate: "Black and White is an appalling game and any moments I can remember in it make me feel bad".

Clearer?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fallout 3 - stepping out of Vault 101 for the first time

Super Metroid - Landing on Zebes after that escape from the exploding space station... So much atmosphere for a 2d game

Metroid Prime - Touching down on Talon Overworld...

As you can most likely guess, I loke games that throw you off a little with their opening sections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yeah, as said before

Homeworld: watching the planet being attacked.
    Call of Duty 4: The nuke scene. Also, the scene where you control the AC-130. And, of course, the ending.
    Halo 2: When you realise that
    you are controlling the Arbiter
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Riding up the the castle on top of the cable car in the snow. Very 'where eagles dare'!
    Portal: A number of moments when you suddenly realise how to solve some of the fiendish puzzles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Streets of Rage Trilogy on the Megadrive - the whole thing, the design, graphics, music, gameplay, multiplayer - all top notch, hasn't been bettered since.

Battlefield 2 - You know those momemts in massive 64 man games where everyone actually plays as a team, and you've got convoys advancing towards the enemy, supported by a helicopter and a transport or two....no game has ever beaten that feeling of scale.

Unreal Tournament - causation of my banning from both the computer and general internet access for quite some time over huge phone bills. Facing Worlds, 6am till 10am, every Saturday and Sunday morning. :)

Soldier of Fortune 2 - simply because my uncle asked me to let his sons play a game on my PC, that was all I had installed - they were 8 or 9 at the time, and very, very small physically - my uncle walked in to check on them to find them barely peering over the top of the desk, one of them stabbing a corpse repeatedly in the face and slicing bits of it off, revealing brain stem, while the other shouted "DO IT, CUT HIS HEAD OFF"

And there's so many scenes in Call of Duty and Allied Assault worth mentioning....the beach invasion in AA/Frontline, the level where you're defending the bridge from the Bell tower in AA, attacking the rader station in AA, the beach landing in COD2, and so on...I think relative to the time, Allied Assault blew me away far more then COD did. I think I would probably cry with nostalgia if I played the original MOH: Allied Assault Demo, used to play that for hours on end on my old P3 500mhz and TNT2. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

My first Gouranga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Dues EX ,thought it was a great game.

First time gta came out in 3d (PS2) ,couldn't believe they fit so much onto a CD ,for a console.

Gods on pc. Jaysus it's ancient now.

Formula one on the commodore64. (I can still hear the screechy tapes:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

quad_red wrote: »
    Call of Duty 4: Also, the scene where you control the AC-130. And, of .

Death from above, thought that was class too. An example in the game of how to make scripting actually enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Smoggy wrote: »
    The opening level of resident evil 1 on the psone when the dogs jumped out from behind the glass. I dropped my pad and nearly filled my pants with sh*t !

Yeah was gonna post that alright. Its a big moment in gaming history that 'scene'. Like the Alien busting out of John Hurt in...Alien... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah that was awesome!

Was like watching footage from US Air Force air strikes in iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

So many....

The first time you kill a gimp with a the double baralled shot gun in Doom2.

Figuring out how to control time in Braid.

Seeing your troops eaten by a sandworm in Dune.

Playing golf with the bucket off fish to get the crocodils to move so you can jump on top of them in Sam an Max, ala James Bond.

Most of TIE fighter.

Mastering the Shoryuken in Street Fighter 2.

Blowing up a capital ship for the first time in Wing Commander 2.

All of Half Life 2: Episode 2 especially that ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Vegeta wrote: »
    Death from above, thought that was class too. An example in the game of how to make scripting actually enjoyable

Yup. After a hard day, often throw Death From Above on to calm the nerves :p

Bioshock:
    The 'would you kindly' revelation and being forced to bludgeon Ryan to death by his own command

Half Life 2: Using the gravity gun to fire saw blades at zombies.

Sonic Adventure on the dreamcast. The killer whale chase scene. I tell ye, that had us all staring at the screen in wonder. First time I saw such a fast, spectacle in a 3d game at such a vast scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCNVgAhyFM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,437 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hmm..so many,
    Deus Ex...all of it..so many replayables in the game.
    Street Fighter 2: Playing as Ryu/Ken and kicking ass. (dragon uppercut) or shoryuken.
    Killer Instinct- My first ultra combo with Cinder and trying to add to it.
    Res Evil 2- Opening scene with Leon and trying to make it to safety and making your ammo last.
    Battlefield 2- Over 700 hours and still playing. Also my first online game.
    COD4- Great story and the nuke :D what a twist.
    Serious Sam- At the end of the first one where Sam is in church and apologizing for all the enemies he killed....still very funny.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I suppose one of my most memorable moments would be...

Championship Manager 2 05/06 - Bought this around 98 maybe for 13 pounds for our families first PC. I didn't know a whole lot about it at the time. I had played premier manager on the megadrive and i loved it. Well myself and my brother played a season of it. Both got fired from our jobs. It totally took over our summer.

The moment i realised how good it was really was when we started up the second game, him managing a different team, me managing the same, and we noticed that some players who were crap before were good now like James Beattie for Blackburn for example. When i realised the degree of randomness in everything to the player database to the match engine i was just amazed at the scope. I realized that every time you played it something different would happen. This was far and away above anything football management sim i had ever played before...

How about the ending of Streets of Rage, anyone? In two player it was the best because after fighting your way through 8 levels on the final boss you could decide to bring him down or take over as the crime boss. If both players picked different options it was a fight to the death between you!

Of course i have some more memorable moments in gaming, just have to think of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The opening sequence to Mech Warrior 2, first game I had that had a dramatic like this. Only tempered by the fact that my bloody machine couldn't handle the game and playing it was like controlling stick men in treacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Half Life: Those bleeding assassins, man they freaked me out. Nothing a few grenades couldn't handle I guess, but the noise of them running around!
    Also, the G-Man being in places you can't access, watching you.

Half-Life 2: First time you see a Strider. Crossing the underside of the bridge - twice. The scripted part when you're on the hovercraft and the tower gets blown up and falls across your path.

Team Fortress 2: Getting or attempting multiple kills as a spy.

Shadow of the Colossus: That ending...wow.

Pokemon Gold/Silver: You finish the Pokemon League and... unlock the Kanto region. You're actually only half way through!

Crush and Portal: For those moments where you figure out a puzzle and finally execute it properly.

Deus Ex: When Paul reveals details about the NSF and Ambrosia. Parts where your choices have had a proper effect on the course of the game, like saving Gunther Hermann at the start.

Tomb Raider: Platforming, in 3D! :eek:

FFVII: Being in Cloud's subconcious.

MGS series: The over the top cutscenes - see Eva, Revolver Ocelot (lol).

Mass Effect: Going to the Citadel, interacting with all the different alien species and then leaving the Citadel as the map of the Galaxy starts to open up to you, very cool.

LittleBigPlanet: Playing the Beta and feeling like a kid again, the pure fun of the game and realising the almost endless creative possibilities of create mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jip wrote: »
    The opening sequence to Mech Warrior 2, first game I had that had a dramatic like this. Only tempered by the fact that my bloody machine couldn't handle the game and playing it was like controlling stick men in treacle.

pfft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nah, don't think the one for part 3 is anywhere near as stand out as the 2nd as it's a case of been there, done that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

The ending of Planescape: Torment,
    The moon mission in Yuri's Revenge (they should have made a whole game out of that level!
    Playing co-op Diablo on my mate's playstation,
    Filling a notebook with trade prices of different planets in Elite,
    Using pages of graph paper to map out the dungeons in The Bard's Tale on my Amstrad 464,
    R-Type, Double Dragon and DragonNinja in The Gaff in Cork ;)

Goddamn, I'm old!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Using pages of graph paper to map out the dungeons in The Bard's Tale on my Amstrad 464

Reminds me of playing Jurassic Park on the Commodore Amiga. There was a sewer with multiple dead ends and a completed messed up layout, so myself and a friend had to get out a notepad and started drawing a map of the sewers so we could remember how to get back out. Took us bleedin ages.

There was also a level like Doom where you had to make your way through the restaurant whilst being stalked by Velociraptors. I remember there was a load of us staring at the screen and as we came up to a corner everyone was instinctively leaning to the side to try and see around it and then we all jumped as a highly pixelated Velociraptor jumped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a super thread imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

FF7 opening
    Aeris dying in FF7
    FF7 where you see the corridor which the Sephiroth's killed everyone
    First time controlling an insane amount of Kirov ariships in RA2
    Resident Evil.. not too sure about this because I didn't have it but played it in a friends house. T9 (or nemisis) coming through the wall at you.
    ^all I can think of which isn't relatively new.

Recently:
    The boat blowing up/sinking on first level of cod4
    Horde of zombies running at you for the first time in Left4Dead :D
    Blowing someones head off using VATS for the first time in Fallout3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

C&C Red alert: The first time I got to build a mammoth tank. I think you had to complete the allied campaign first (or maybe I just did they in order).

RE4: All of it! If I'd have to pick one it would be playing it on hard and fighting in the first village where you have to keep battling until the bell rings, found this the hardest part of the game due to having so little ammo. Ended doing it with no health and just my knife. GGrrrr felt badass!

Oblivion: Leaving the cave for the first time.

Half Life 2: When you lose all your weapons, but your gravity gun is supercharged.

CoD4:
    In the solo mission where the nuke goes off and kills your character. Very powerful scene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Great thread - lots of fond memories flooding back :)

Some of my own thought (repeats of stuff already posted I think, but what harm).
    • The intro to Half-Life - had me wondering what the fup I was about to get myself into.
    • Watching competitive QuakeWorld - to me a whole new era of gaming was born seeing that sorta stuff (and it was)!
    • Lego Star Wars - combination of 2 of the things I love most in the world into a rather excellent game.
    • Finishing Bubble Bobble on the NES with my brother after a serious marathon session (and getting the proper ending via the secret door)
    • Finishing Wizball after a similar session with the brother on my C64

• Registered Users Posts: 14,723 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

All cut scenes in Metal Gear Solid games..BEAUTIFUL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

GTA - GOURANGA!! Awesomeness.
    HL - first encounter with spec ops. Masterful AI.
    Max Payne2 - first slow-mo reload.
    FEAR - first slow-mo proxy mine kill/shotgun kill
    CoD2 - russian level, on par with AA beach level.
    CoD4 - death from above.
    HL2 - Alex.
    Far Cry - looking out from atop a mountain before sniping a guy between the eyes/ shooting out the wooden planks on a walkway to leave an enemy no place to run/shooting the plank beneath an enemy and watching him rag doll down into the water. I <3 that game.
    Red Alert 2 - Hell March track + Tanya.
    DoD - shovel kill.
    Hidden & Dangerous 2 - assault on sub.
    Black & White - watching your creature turn good/evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Pulling someone out of a car and speeding off in it while playing the first GTA on the Playstation One, I was only 10 or so at the time so it was a HUGE thing !

Always feeling a weird sense of safety while the "Doom" logo showed up before starting the game, I was only young playing it !

Discovering that I can play online in a game, first ever game of Quake 3 online blew me away at the tender age of 12.

Nothing can beat the feeling of playing a very very close TDM or CTF game in Quake 3 with evenly skilled teams, always has me playing at my best and my heart racing, brilliant.

Advertisement