Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

grizzly wrote: »
    Oblivion: Leaving the cave for the first time.

Yeah that was great. Get out of the cave and no idea what you're meant to do now. I crossed the river and attacked some crab then two guys came running at me and started attacking. I thought it was their pet crab I killed and they were pissed at me for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

Portal: When you turn the corner on the platform and see the fire pit. That game was so immersive that the first time it happened I just "Oh, so this is the end" and let myself fall in and die. Also, hearing all of Glados' psychotic lines for the first time. "Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit, and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like, 'No Way!' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you' ... That was great."

Super Mario 64: Just the first time I played it, and saw the total freedom to explore the levels however I wanted. I remember being totally blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Zillah wrote: »
    Perhaps my statement was not simplistic enough for you. Allow me to translate: "Black and White is an appalling game and any moments I can remember in it make me feel bad".

Clearer?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I never asked for your OPINION on my OPINION in the first place,
    I'm sure theres a game you play that I hate/don't like but your entitled to enjoy them and appreciate certain moments,
    The thread is for peoples memorable moments, I happened to like B&W, as do plenty of others, just likes lots of people love Final Fantasy games, I dont, it dosnt mean they cant have memorable moments from the game becasue I dont like the game,
    If you dont like the game(or even hate it enough to post the original comment) then fine, but don't crticise me for liking it and if thats too complicated and not "simplistic" enough, well then I couldnt give a rats a** anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

Does the new one have anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Killinator wrote: »
    I never asked for your OPINION on my OPINION in the first place,
    I'm sure theres a game you play that I hate/don't like but your entitled to enjoy them and appreciate certain moments,
    The thread is for peoples memorable moments, I happened to like B&W, as do plenty of others, just likes lots of people love Final Fantasy games, I dont, it dosnt mean they cant have memorable moments from the game becasue I dont like the game,
    If you dont like the game(or even hate it enough to post the original comment) then fine, but don't crticise me for liking it and if thats too complicated and not "simplistic" enough, well then I couldnt give a rats a** anyway
    must also agree, while they didnt love up to the hype they where still very good games and I enjoyed both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

silvine wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqwFhX6Cqg

Does the new one have anything like that?

Not as good. It has Hell March 3

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

One savage moment in RE4 was the part near the end of the first section in the village where the villagers attack the house you and ashley are in. The tension in that section is almost unbearable as wave after wave come in the window. Then i was forced upstairs and they start pouring in the top windows too with ladders as well as up the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

hell march 1 was the best BY FAR.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-gI_pFog0&feature=related

Fck the techno spin, hard rock all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Resident Evil 2- So many memories. That was my fist PS2 game and it just blew me away. Before this I never knew a game could scare me so much

-The opening scene.:eek:
    -when you first catch a glimpse of a Licker..you turn a corner and just see something sneak past a window
    -The bit near the start when you're walking down the narrow hallway in the police station and the Zombies arms burst through the windows..scared the beJaysus out of me..or the bit when the crows burst through the windows..or the bit where the big dude (can't think of his name but he's hunting you throughout the game) bursts through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

kaimera wrote: »
    Black & White - watching your creature turn good/evil.

careful, Zillah is gonna throw up again!

one of the best moments for me in B&W was a few hours in after a lot of the subtle changes becae noticable.....i remember looking at my temple and seeing bats and spikes anywhere and realisisng the effect everything was having.
    The game really made you care about your creature. thats what was missing from B&W2. he was skinny, violent, muscular completely bi-polar and had a scar through his eye(like scar from the lion king) from me beating him senseless.

a stand out moment for me has to be when you come around the corner in quake and meet the zombies for the first time, shoot them, and see them get up again!

bullet time sniper rifle in max payne (the camera follows the bullet in slo-mo)

Watching the artifical life in Stalker.

finding a hang glider in far cry.

the cut scenes in total annihalation,starcraft and red alert.

and yes, hell march. i can hear it now even though i have no idea how many years its been since i actually heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The first Time i Played Sonic The Hedgehog.

GTA: doing a handbrake through a line of hari krishnas, leaving a lovely streak of their blood on the tarmac.

Fighting Metal Gear Rex For the first time, terrifying.

Killing lara croft by diving head first off the biggest drop i could find.

The first time i used the Concrete Donkey In Worms.

Committing a foul in Fifa 95, and running away from the ref for ages! Lol. Good times :)

Getting the gravity gun in Half Life 2.

Hell march from red alert, Telsa coila and mammoth tanks too.

Playing halo miltiplayer for the first time and beating my mate who owned the game and said he was the best.

"Accidentallly" breaking my ps2 as i was frustrated with a mission in San Andreas.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Turning on my SNES for the first time on Christmas morning, watching Super Mario World start and thinking "this is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life"

I dont know if I'm alone on this but i have a soft spot for console startups, especially the first time you do it, remember hooking my 360 up to the home cinema system and thinking "oooooh, shiny" when it came on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Killinator wrote: »
    If you dont like the game(or even hate it enough to post the original comment) then fine, but don't crticise me for liking it

No.

McGetty wrote: »
    "Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit, and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like, 'No Way!' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you' ... That was great."

True genius.

Also, this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    -operation flashpoint: the mission where your squad are all killed and you have to run through the forest like hell to escape the russians who are hunting you down

Totally. In my game my legs were shot and I couldn't walk :) Rather than restart I crawled the mission from bush to bush. Was epic :D

Also seeing as I downloaded it from GoG the other day Freespace 2 has bundles of epic moments. Haven't got to it yet but that mission where you start and instantly you're being screamed at to dive as a mahoosive ship is heading right for you. May have been FS1 but either way, well cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

GTA: San Andreas the "Terminator" mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Zillah wrote: »
    No.

Jesus what's your problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,774 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Call of duty 4 - The mission with the ghillie suit and One shot, One kill
    MGS3 - fighting The End, and the actual ending of the game
    Gears of War -
    When Carmine gets killed
    GTA - GOURANGA!!
    Devil May Cry 3 - Jackpot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

krudler wrote: »
    Turning on my SNES for the first time on Christmas morning, watching Super Mario World start and thinking "this is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life"

I dont know if I'm alone on this but i have a soft spot for console startups, especially the first time you do it, remember hooking my 360 up to the home cinema system and thinking "oooooh, shiny" when it came on

no way are you on your own on this! still love the 360 start up. the dreamcast one is another favourite.

Also seeing as I downloaded it from GoG the other day Freespace 2 has bundles of epic moments. Haven't got to it yet but that mission where you start and instantly you're being screamed at to dive as a mahoosive ship is heading right for you. May have been FS1 but either way, well cool.

Yeah it was Freespace 2, I had forgotten about that moment oddly enough. You literally need to hit your afterburners and dive straight down instantly or you explode against the hull of a city sized juggernaut that's rocketing towards you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Totally. In my game my legs were shot and I couldn't walk :) Rather than restart I crawled the mission from bush to bush. Was epic :D

Damn you!

You just reminded me there was a B5 freespace 2 mod. Gonna download it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Cod 2 or 1, cant remember which: storming Stalingrad, that whole level
    Cod4: The whole sniper level following other sniper.
    Quake: First time you hear hissing noise and then see a floating monster firing acid at you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm in the process of downloading (dont worry, i own the original, but i cant find the 2nd disc) Freespace 2 again, as it is a fantastic game. Going to install the graphical mods, which should make it much more playable. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Shadow of the Colossus-
    When Argo falls to his apparent death on your way to the final colossus
    my god, i nearly cried. same when
    the girl in ICO gets taken away from you.
    .the day team ico release their new game on ps3 is the day i buy a ps3.

Pso-finding out the amazing community online with a 33k modem, indeed most of my online gaming has been on the dreamcast. Monace gp wasnt a great game but online, it was transformed into an amazingly deep F1 game.

Sonic adventure 1 and 2 on dreamcast- remember when sonic trashs down the side of a building. that was the dawn of 128 bit gaming for me. the second game is even better, the forest level with either shadow or sonic is sublime and still impressive even in this day and age.

Streets of Rage 3-the second game is better but this has more standout moments, especially the clever ways of getting the various endings. fighting shiva is always enjoyable too.

Mario Galaxy-all of it. magical game that ill probably play through again with luigi this christmas and get the true 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Street Fighter 2: No particular moment-I just loved that game so much. I was a Chun-Li/Ryu/E-Honda expert.

Terminator 2 on the Commodore 64: Wow-I was such a terminator fan-cool game.

I have no real Megadrive moments-I did think Shinobi 3 was awesome though.

Resident Evil: This is such a big one-the weapons-the atmosphere-the gore. This is why i bought a PSX-not FF7 or Tomb Raider. Spcifically returning to the house to find Hunters rather than Zombies (who could kill you on yellow fine) and the moment when Wesker turns hsi gun on you.

Tomb Raider-that level with the sword of Damocleses (sp?) in it. Can't remember the name.

Getting the Airship in FF7-The music-the freedom.

Ico's ending-I knew it was coming but it was still so tragic.

My first proper lob/dink in the Pro Evo series (much more doable in pes3 than 2).

The Weapon attack on Junon in FF7-What a sequence (only time I really admire Shinra)

MGS2: THIS trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbyYqPZ2Mc&feature=related
    (SERIOUSLY-WATCH THIS NOW)
    Beautifully done and I dunno If I ever anticpated a game so feverishly before (Maybe FF8).

Red Alert-Getting blamed for not disabling a 4th Radar tower by Stalin before Grendenko is forced to own up and has his neck broke.

C&C2: Cyborg Commando

FFX-The double revelation (Rgearding Auron and Yuna)

FFIX- The utter annihalation of Linblum-I had expected a stiffer resistance due to the airships-how wrong was I?

Kingdom Hearts 1: Arriving at Hollow Bastion and meeting Beast for the first time-real sense of desperation and also the theme-outstanding.

KH2: Wandering about for ages at the start of the game not being entirely sure what direction the story is taking and then you have the "white screen" revelation in the Mansion-"looks like my summer vacation is over" (cue the title scene-brilliantly done).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rocket Knight Adventures: This game was full of awesome moments, the rail cart level, the waterfall boss, the walkers, the belly dancing robo pig boss.

However the stand out is being chased by the evil guy riding in a three screen high Robot. At the end of a pretty difficult platform section while running away youend up in your own 3 screen high robot and have a boxing match with his one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Jumping out of my chair as I turn a corner and BAM first head crab in the face - playing on a voodoo 2 :D

Beam lasers in freespace (2 was it?)

Flying into Ironforge

Bull thing bursting through a corridor in Doom 3

Silently dropping down a huuuuggge long shaft and landing right behind a marine - who remains entirely unaware of you, right untill you bite the back of his head off in AVP

Plus a bunch of things already mentioned, (feckin dogs in res2, hell march, mammoth tanks etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Alien Vs Predator. The opening level as Marine which is so full of atmosphere. Very scary and perfect gaming. Discovering the challenges on each level and achieving them to open up things like John Woo mode in the game. LAN play was epic.

Jedi Outcast. Some of the saber battles were great but playing online with 6-8 friends was the business.

Age Of Empires. Playing this online with 3 - 4 friends in epic 2-4 hour battles. Pure joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

After the accident in Half-Life,
    when going through the early parts of the facility when you need to break the glass at the elavator entrance and the elevator comes flying past with scientists inside smashing onto the floor below,
    left me feeling like anything could happen at any time, it generally did too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

ff 7 cc was some game for the psp play it for 15 hours to the end
    god of war on the psp only 3 hours long but some game

Advertisement