Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

First thought when I seen the title was the dogs jumping through the glass in RE. Was killed after firing the controller accross the room :)

Reading through it I was reminded of, with a big smirk, running away from the ref in FIFA after committing a foul. I was only 11 and my 20 year old uncle who owned it got as thick :)

Others:
    Fighting in the early NHL games.
    Renting Dune 2 that many times I could have bought it over 3 times.
    Getting my Texet 2600 (Atari 2600 with over 100 built in games)
    Seing my father get immersed in duck hunt. Then getting aggitated when he was addicted to NES Golf (WhhhoooOOOOOO- ooooohhhh)
    Laughing my ass off when the elevator opened to see Earls pants had fallen down
    Deus Ex when I killed you man to get the ambrosia near the start and then killed the arriving soldier to take his weapon. Fell in love with that game right there.
    Speaking of, along with Hell March, Deus Ex theme tune being stuck in my head.
    My GTA moment involves the games transition to 3D, a passer-by and a baseball bat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Although only some of You have seen it yet, I think I can add the moment I first encountered a Tank in Left4Dead, Ye'll find out soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Although only some of You have seen it yet, I think I can add the moment I first encountered a Tank in Left4Dead, Ye'll find out soon :D

Yeah nothing has made me run as bad as one of those tanks. Your heart literally sinks when you hear the music playing that lets you know its coming.

Tonight, one of them was coming at me so I backed myself into an open air duct, thinking "there's no chance that's getting in here", but sure enough it squeezes itselfs into the duct and starts moving towards me. I must of unloaded 3 mags into its head before it finally killed me.

protip: split up, run and turn your flashlight off. Some of you are going to die, you just need to make your peace with that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Playing a game called Toki for the Megadrive, it was a fire breathing monkey,still makes me laugh, also catching a fish in Zelda OOT for the first time was great I spent hours doing it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hearing this guy for the first time:
    210pxhalflifegargantuarg7.jpg

I was like, "uhhhh, I want to see it... or do I... I'm not going to like this ... thing, am I?"
    *turn the corner, Garg rapes some grunts with a jeep upside their heads*
    *backpedalling* "Oh f*ck oh f*ck oh f*ck!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Playing a game called Toki for the Megadrive, it was a fire breathing monkey,still makes me laugh, also catching a fish in Zelda OOT for the first time was great I spent hours doing it,

I played that 2 with the japenese adapter.

Bosses were tough and the story was stupid. He was a human turned into a monkey as a curse yet, who ever put the curse on him decided to make him a fire breathing monkey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

COD4 start of the sniper mission where you think your alone then from outta nowhere Capt MacMillan stands up..brilliant
    As well as the nuke and the ending mentioned already of course
    Also Cod 1 the Soviet mission where you cross the river in the boats to Stalingrad..Epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭lt_cmdr_worf

Searching pipes for hidden rooms in Super Mario Bros 3.
    Listening to the radio station for the first time in the original GTA.
    The haunted house in Silent Hill 3.
    Getting the silver scroll, or "S" scroll, off a snail in the second level of Flimbo's Quest on the C64.
    Leveling up in Morrowind and encountering new enemies.
    The nemesis of the title in Resident Evil 3, when he showed up the first time in the police station.
    The hunters' first appearance in Resident Evil 1.
    Ravenholm in Half Life 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the first time i used the Ion Cannon in C&C. independence day was all the rage then ya see.

building a Krogoth for the first time in total annihilation

beating Dardoz in the final of midlans in UT2004 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

It made me feel very guilty in max payne when he's freaking out and says that "it feels like someone is controlling every move he makes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

First time playing MGS, afraid to move in case a partol spotted me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

First time playing Burnout 3 at top speed and thinking my eyes will begin to bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Playing Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast and realising that the intro sequence was using ingame graphics. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That two headed monster thing in half life, the banging on the walls you could hear long before you got to the thing was the most nerve racking part of a game up to that point.

The beginning of labyrinth on the BBC micro, it had talking in it!

I remember when the selling point for new games where they had more colours in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Jedi Academy - when you first get a Light Sabre

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Plenty that have already been mentioned, like hyrule field etc... but I wanna throw this one in!

Shadowman: In the Asylum, and in the house of the Home Improvement Killer: the eeriest most unsettling experience I've ever had in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

More recently the Tower Knight demon in Demon's Souls. Compared to the previous boss this one was gargantuan, and it's only the second boss you meet in the game if you are playing it linearly. You walk in and this 60ft Knight is standing over you. First thing he did was just slam his shield down on my head killing me outright.

I love when they make boss fights terrifying and almost insurmountable, the feeling of accomplishment is so much greater when you are finally able to beat them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think that was my favourite moment in any game this year so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

GTA III [PS2] - Realising during the first scene, they had finally made the game I always wanted GTA to be.

Super Mario World [SNES] - First game I completed on my own. I was delighted with myself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just playing System Shock 2 and am at the Rickenbaucher now and there's so many stand out moments it's ridiculous, the big twist at the middle being the biggest one.

The first time you get the vision of the 'many'. 'If you choose to lie down with the machine, we will rend you apart, and put you separate from the joys of the mass.'

Hearing the really creepy 'babies must sleep. babies must rest' and the incredibly creepy cyborg midwifes.

The hybrids telling you to run away and that they are sorry as they try to kill you.

Xerxes comments are hilarious sometimes. The whole ship is practically dead and he announces that there's 163 shopping days until christmas. It's just so abstract from all the **** that is going on.

I can't believe it took me so long to play this game, it's wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

MGS1
    At the end, when Metal Gear is activated, Snake steps out of the control room and Liquid brushes past, with a really scary sound, frightening

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm just playing System Shock 2 and am at the Rickenbaucher now and there's so many stand out moments it's ridiculous, the big twist at the middle being the biggest one.

The first time you get the vision of the 'many'. 'If you choose to lie down with the machine, we will rend you apart, and put you separate from the joys of the mass.'

Hearing the really creepy 'babies must sleep. babies must rest' and the incredibly creepy cyborg midwifes.

The hybrids telling you to run away and that they are sorry as they try to kill you.

Xerxes comments are hilarious sometimes. The whole ship is practically dead and he announces that there's 163 shopping days until christmas. It's just so abstract from all the **** that is going on.

I can't believe it took me so long to play this game, it's wonderful.
    One of the best, creepiest game ever made. Shodan is, imo, the best villian ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The end of System Shock 2 is one the best ways I've ever seen a game finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Vice City-The Bank Heist was pretty god damn epic.

To be honest there aren't many that pull off that old school vibe at finally figuring out what the **** just happened and it making some sort of sense. I always like the end to Stalker i thought it did a good job of making a atmospheric explanation of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

silvine wrote: »
    The end of System Shock 2 is one the best ways I've ever seen a game finish.

I'm a rabbid System Shock fan, but I have to say I disliked the ending.
    I thought it was ill fitting and quite cheesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The whole Half Life saga to date just engrossed me, probably more so than any game. Anyone who never played it yet, you are SERIOUSLY missing out.

Zelda 3 LTTP on the Snes - after the intro, you awake and rush out into a rain storm - that was my very first introduction to the world of Zelda, and again from that moment on, I became completely sold on Zelda, the music, the rpg elements, the adventure, again, an absoloute classic which should NOT be missed.

Zelda OOT on N64 - more or less as above.

Farcry - Ill never forget how beautiful this game was (and still is), I remember thinking my god, that must be some tight code, as it always seemed to run so so well. I really enjoyed the gradual transformation from avoiding mercenaries, to, well, things different shall we say.

Starlancer - my first space fighter cockpit game, epic story - my memory is a little faded of this one, but I remember it being one of those games where you think, class...pure class.

Max Payne 1 & 2 - what more can I say that hasnt been already said? The dark, moody, comic-book style cutscenes, the music, the way you almost become the character and fight FOR him, rather than just playing to progress. As above, this is MANDATORY playing. The flashback scenes, and bad trip levels, the dual ingrams, theres so much to talk about in this one.

GTA 3 & VC - Sandbox action at its best. Admitedly I havnt yet played GTA4, Im sure Ill love it, but will it inspire the sense of awe and freedom as these games once did?

Bioshock - I loved this. I got this and Crysis at the same time and found myself playing this all of the time. Engrossing game, from the amazing opening sequence, seeing the first Big Daddy and being terrified. I think where just before you step outside of the pod is an EPIC way to begin the game - no spoilers today

There are many, many more games which can be discussed - these are some of my personal fav's, and to me represent an elite caliber of game development.

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I might add the first mission on the boat in COD 4. The second half where you have to escape the ship before it sank, to me this was the most excitement I had gotten from a fps in a very long time ... actually ever.

The game just got better and better. BUt it was that first part that really provided me with that "wow" moment.

Don't know how it is for other versions of the game ... but the first time you clear 4 rows of bricks at a time in Tetris on the gameboy, awesome. Or getting your wall close to the top of the screen, waiting and waiting for that long brick to come down so you can get a tetris.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I might add the first mission on the boat in COD 4. The second half where you have to escape the ship before it sank, to me this was the most excitement I had gotten from a fps in a very long time ... actually ever.

The game just got better and better. BUt it was that first part that really provided me with that "wow" moment.

Don't know how it is for other versions of the game ... but the first time you clear 4 rows of bricks at a time in Tetris on the gameboy, awesome. Or getting your wall close to the top of the screen, waiting and waiting for that long brick to come down so you can get a tetris.

I am not as a big a COD4 fan as most here but I must say the same for the Sniper Flashback Scene. Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

first time playing Goldeneye blew me away

as did Hyrule Field in Zelda on the 64, in fact, as did most of Zelda!!

the black humour of Portal, as well as all the puzzles & GLaDOS

half life 2, all of it.

baldurs gate 2, epic game and storyline

Oblivion, the sheer scale of it, and awesome graphics

fallout 3, same as oblivion, nuking Megaton stood out to me as amazing.

Doom 3, playing at 3am in an empty house with lights off. win. same with aliens vs predator 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

baldurs gate 2, epic game and storyline

So many great bits in that! The interactions between the various npc in your party were excellent. As were some of the side stories related to the NPCs. Made them feel much more fleshed out that they had there own stories and problems and weren't just tagging along in your own little hero-bubble.

Also, Edwin Odesseiron is a nob.

Advertisement