Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

So many great bits in that! The interactions between the various npc in your party were excellent. As were some of the side stories related to the NPCs. Made them feel much more fleshed out that they had there own stories and problems and weren't just tagging along in your own little hero-bubble.

Also, Edwin Odesseiron is a nob.

hahaha, that guy was hilarious, i still killed him instead of letting him join my party! - "Greetings. I am Edwin Odesseiron. You simians may refer to me merely as "Sir," if you prefer a less... syllable-intensive workout."

and agree 100% with everything else

throne of bhaal was also epic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

How could i forget my mates telling me to click the dead cow in Diablo 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The intro to Half Life.

Getting the crowbar back in Half Life 2.

Entering bullet time in Max Payne for the first time.

Flying across a zone in World of Warcraft and realising just how big it is.

Realising you're the
    villain
    at the end of Braid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

- Completing Flimbo's Quest on the C64... played it again recently and I don't know how I did it, I must have just spent all my money on extra time!

- Half Life! Esp. the intro, and the bit where the lift comes crashing down with the two guys in it...

- Half Life Opposing Force - the end sequence... Depressing!

- First time playing Sonic The Hedgehog - couldn't believe a game could be that fast!

- Call of Duty 2 - esp. the first two American missions (Defending that hilltop is just frantic)

- Gunstar Heroes on the Megadrive - this game was amazing for its time - frantic pace, cool bosses, what looked like the SNES's "Mode 7", plenty of variety in the levels, great music

- Completing Turrican 2

- Completing Robocop 2 (The arcade version)

- First time seeing Mortal Kombat! Wondered how fellas in the arcade knew how to do the "Fatality" moves since it was before the days of d'internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just finished Mass Effect for the first time. First game in a very long time that I was thoroughly impressed with. Especially loved the final mission, quite dramatic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

silvine wrote: »
    TRealising your the
    villain
    at the end of Braid.
    Bah! Shouldnt have read that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I played Mass Effect last month and thought it was disappointing. The combat, AI and graphics are poor and the inventory system is messy. Granted the story is kind of good but maybe I just expected too much after playing Fallout 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

Being scared sh*tless by the first Alone in the Dark when I found it back in 1999 (Hey, I was only 9 at the time. :D)

Finishing the first Duke Nukem after about a year and a half when I was about 6.

You can't beat those old DOS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Finally, FINALLY completing Revenge of Shinobi on the Sega Mega Drive. Jesus Christ I found that game very hard.

Then the feelings of frustration when watching some one on youtube finish it in 25 minutes or so.

There is a lot of excellent memories from the Mega Drive era. Golden Axe and Streets of Rage to name a few. Those games were so good! They still get fired up every now and then to whisk me back to a happier time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The atmosphere in deadspace, in particular the lack of atmosphere bits the zero g moments, where all you can hear is your breathing.

the idea in Demon's Souls of the 3-3 boss summoning some other dude from across the world to fight you and bumping up his stats for the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Tyrant^ wrote: »

Playing Diablo 2 on dialup for the entire summer... £350+ phone bill !

ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Havent read all the posts so this may have been mentioned before.....

The original GTA...go anywhere you want and not being confined was very refreshing.

Also the depth of game when I first played Civ. That game had so many freaken options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I love this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Ah so many memories.:D

Reviving the first Guardian Sapling in Okami is one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Just remembered this one last night,

The Kharak genocide in Homeworld, probably my top emotional gaming moment. The voice acting is top quality.
    Replayed the section where you have to save the cryotrays a few times, I just couldnt let any of them get destroyed even though it wasnt a requirement to save them all.

Probably mentioned a few times already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Vegeta wrote: »
    The first time you leave Kokiri village and enter Hyrule Field in the OoT. I was simply lost for words.

Golden Eye multiplayer, so many evenings playing that with friends

These 2, both games were so awesome.

GTA3 and Vice City were epic games in the series.

SF2 on snes/megadrive. So much time for these games now and then.

First time I got Super Sonic on Sonic 2, was like WTF!

First ever online gaming session, think it may have been Forza 1. Things went down hill from there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion had an awesome ingame cutscene after a certain quest that really blew me away. Hope more MMO makers take note.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Finally, FINALLY completing Revenge of Shinobi on the Sega Mega Drive. Jesus Christ I found that game very hard.

That last level was impossible. It was just one big ass bloody maze. Always took me ages to get through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That ****ing level did my head in as well. Eventually knew my way through off by heart and could do it in 3 minutes. Still didn't help since I kept getting my ass kicked by the final boss. Could never finish him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Metal Gear Solid (PS1): the scene of Meryl dying on top of Metal Gear REX. (only if you submit to the torture)

Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3): The scene of Roman getting shot on his wedding day and Niko continuously shooting the hitman.

Kirby's Adventure (NES): Defeating Nightmare and seeing Dreamland restored

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That ****ing level did my head in as well. Eventually knew my way through off by heart and could do it in 3 minutes. Still didn't help since I kept getting my ass kicked by the final boss. Could never finish him off.

I think I could kill him but the girl always died.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Alien vs predator !!!!!! I remeber just being a marine and your motion tracker is clear and next thing it picks up something and you freeze and see if it moves on the tracker and your ****ting yourself cause its just you all on your own , that game could build so much tension . And the lighting in that game at the time was amazing , it really was a defining game for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sirgandi

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Sneaking around in first Thief game stealin everyones s**t

Playing Diablo 2 on dialup for the entire summer... £350+ phone bill !

Deus Ex, just an amazing game.

Up till 7 in morning in college playing Deus Ex - JC Denton, what a man!

Getting all the licences in Gran Turismo 1 on PS

Fighting Ninja/Grey Fox in Metal Gear Solid on PS

Venice level in Tomb Raider 2

Shadow of the Beast 1 on Amiga for anyone who remembers!!

Alien vs predator !!!!!! I remeber just being a marine and your motion tracker is clear and next thing it picks up something and you freeze and see if it moves on the tracker and your ****ting yourself cause its just you all on your own , that game could build so much tension . And the lighting in that game at the time was amazing , it really was a defining game for me .

Ah loved that game. I remember playing multiplayer in that with one of the lads. I was the marine, he was the alien. At one stage the motion sensor went off and it start get closer and closer and I still couldn't see him. Then it just stopped. I froze, then started firing my machine gun and just legged it. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Not the greatest moment ever in gaming but I found the ending to Fable 2 quite interesting.
    There was no huge boss battle. Just a bit of a dream sequence then you're face to face with your nemesis who's spouting the usual megalomaniac bull****. Then you just shoot him in the face (or kill him however you want).

I know it's hardly ground-breaking but it was a different pace and didn't leave me with that anti-climactic feel that so many games (in particular RPGs) tend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

sirgandi wrote: »
    Getting all the licences in Gran Turismo 1 on PS

Ha! Just remembered doing this. Was a really good feeling when you'd got them all. GT1, what a game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not the greatest moment ever in gaming but I found the ending to Fable 2 quite interesting.
    There was no huge boss battle. Just a bit of a dream sequence then you're face to face with your nemesis who's spouting the usual megalomaniac bull****. Then you just shoot him in the face (or kill him however you want).

I know it's hardly ground-breaking but it was a different pace and didn't leave me with that anti-climactic feel that so many games (in particular RPGs) tend to.
    Reminds me of FEAR, when you
    kill Paxton Fettel. Your chasing him for the entire game, then when you do finally find him, he's kneeling in the room, waiting for you. One bullet in the head later...
    Great moment.

Great thread!

NES - Super Mario Bros. - Accidently jumping to the top of the screen, running and discovering a warp zone!

NES - Super Mario Bros. 3 - The airship boss level.

SNES - Another World - Found the game (especially the ending) had a heavy emotional impact

SNES - Donkey Kong Country - The music, the graphics, the sound effects...thought the whole thing was amazing when I first booted it up Christmas Day, 1994.

PS1 - Resident Evil 2 - Everything!

PS1 - Final Fantasy 7 - Fantastic (not sure I could go and do it all again though!)

N64 - Mario 64 - Full 3D, new machine, new controller, whole experience was awesome!

N64 - Goldeneye - A classic!

Probably more but they stick out in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Bio-shock, watching the into then he ends up in the water... I watched it for about 2 mins before it dawned on me that I was then in-game !

BF2, Flying choppers n jets n blowing up stuff !

World in Conflict, played a bit of the single player but headed into MP... seeing a nuke going off, fuel air bombs, carpet bombing in 1 round was amazing ! I still adore the game the whole effects and eye candy !

COD4, the gunship best part ! even down to the infa-red view !!

HL games - City 17 train ride !

TF2 - spwaning as a pyro !! Fire never looked so good and for about 2 weeks the sound of him talking through hes mask cracked me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Back when I played WoW I loved finishing the Black Temple, but I always thought Zul'Gurub was one of my favourite places.

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2's storylines - they rocked. Majorly. Still try and finish them every now and then.

Kotor 1: The revelation halfway through. Damn that was fun. Loved the characters in the second one too.

Shogun: TW: and all TW games, but the sheer scale the first time I played was unreal. It was amazing.

Dawn of War, always loved the plots.

Advertisement