Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just thought of one, right near the end of Half Life 2 there's a bit when you are helping the rebels clear out apartments block by block. Halfway through you come across a girl sitting on a couch and a guy beside her with his arm around her telling her it will all be better soon. It's a very strange surreal moment that really humanises the struggle. A nice little touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Declaring Independance in Meiers Colonization, and getting the injuns onside before Man'o'Wars turn up! Happy times. Fab music, still play the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Has nobody mentioned the scene with mother brain in super metroid?! What a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOX4AxH83vo

"Sherra, what the *&^% are you doing?, you're gonna get yourself killed, you know that right?

"Captain, we have to make a decision, shall we launch as planned?"

"GODDAMMIT Sherra......oh man, my dreams, outer space, the moon........................"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

my favourite s-metroid bit was escaping to the surface afterwards. superb end sequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

That last level was impossible. It was just one big ass bloody maze. Always took me ages to get through.

i couldnt beat that with a cheat, amazingly hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Recently; the BHD-esque/nuke sequence in CoD4. Awesome.

almost made up for the irritating levels preceeding it tho

For me, has to be Jill playing Moonlight Sonata in the first Resident Evil.

Can't explain properly, but it was a really powerful sequence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Too many memorable moments to remember (geddit?). Most of the ones that stand out have been mentioned, the t-rex in tomb raider, the dogs jumping out of the window in resident evil, the nuke scene in cod4, the opening train ride in half life.

One that I remember was when I was playing Red Alert 2 with a mate. We had both made huge armies of rocketeers in our respective bases, was looking to be a bit of a mexican standoff situation. Eventually I decide to send roughly half my rocketeers to engage his on neutral ground and while he's busy with that I send the other half on a fairly circular route to destroy the rear of his base. Hardly the most cunning of strategies but it worked. When he scored his pyrric victory by taking out half my army he looked back at his base to see it razed. The reaction was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

- "WE MUST PUSH LITTLE CART !!!" ...the humour in Team Fortress 2 :):D

- Seeing your favourite song in rockband for the first time, then playing it, couldnt believe it when they released Thin Lizzy - Cowboy Song, and the release of the beatles..will be up with the greatest gaming days of my life

-Using binoculars in Metal Gear Solid for the first time after coming up the elevator at the beginning credits...so immersive..was unlike anything i'd ever played...and the ending credit theme in Irish "Céard a tharla ?"

-Bioshock....the twist :o ...you have it play it !!! ..would ye kindly ?!!

-May sound sadistic, but kicking someone to death in GTA3, realising the freedom the game offered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Crysis Warhead.

Intro to the last level when Psycho
    drowns yer man
    was extremely well done given the build up to it and the noticeable lack of any dialogue in the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kaimera wrote: »
    Intro to the last level when Psycho
    drowns yer man
    was extremely well done given the build up to it and the noticeable lack of any dialogue in the scene.

I agree. Warhead stands out in my mind primarily because of the third person cut scenes (compared to the usual mute first person cutscenes in most FPS's), that scene in particular was very well done.

I think it immerses you more into the character you are playing when you get to see the expression of emotion on their face. That scene actually changed the way I played the rest of the game after that point, whereas up to it I was using a lot of stealth, after it, due to Psychos obvious blinding rage, I went completely gung-ho with grenade launchers and strength punches and throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,990 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spending aboslutely ages running around in the rain at the start of A Link to the Past not knowing where to go one Christmas morning. Then I found that hole under the hedge... didn't know that down that hole would be one of the greatest gaming experiences I'd ever have.

The first time I tried to go through a loop in Sonic 1 and kept pressing jump. :mad:

The Trial scene in Chrono Trigger. I have never wanted to punch a lawyer so much, ever.

Actually I could go on and on with Chrono Trigger but I won't. It just has too many. Even the sound/music when you go through a time portal sends a shiver up my spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Finally getting your hands on a helicoptor in GTA Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Resident Evil 1's horrendous voice acting.

"Stop it! Don't open that door!"

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭madmac187

Halo 3 when everyone thinks the chief is dead, no statue or commemoration but Spartan 117 scratched into the piece of ship. Along with the kinda unmentioned love between Cortana and the Chief throughout the game in Halo 3.

Or when Keys dies and there is nothing the chief can do to save his old friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Probably mentioned already:

Shalebridge Cradle in Thief
    Stepping out of Vault 101 into the sunshine of the Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3, those first 5 mins of walking around (hi gfx settings btw).
    Champ Manager marathons when I was younger, nothing like the excitement of winning an important game after your tactics have worked perfectly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

madmac187 wrote: »
    Halo 3 when everyone thinks the chief is dead, no statue or commemoration but Spartan 117 scratched into the piece of ship. Along with the kinda unmentioned love between Cortana and the Chief throughout the game in Halo 3.

Or when Keys dies and there is nothing the chief can do to save his old friend.

Yeah it was pure comedy gold the cutscenes in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Killing Colossi - not sure which I felt the most pity for.

Also sh!tting my pants when I faced the final Colossus - possibly one of the greatest, most awe-inspiring experiences I have yet faced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Sitting into a car for the first time in Grand Theft Auto Vice City on Christmas Day to hear Michael Jackson, sending someone off the edge and into the water with a sly banana on the second corner of Royal Raceway and just the whole of the Wind Waker- that game was fantastic now that I think back to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl - The atmosphere....walking across the plains at night hearing the howls of those dogs....also the first time I encountered one of those brain-sucker enemies. The poltergeist thingys were pretty unnerving too.

Arma - Getting a decent game going online and 7 of us para-dropping from a Blackhawk and storming a town with reasonable success.

Command & Conquer - Just thought it was the bees knees when I first played it.

Syndicate - Somehow convinced my dad to pay 50 pounds to buy it for me when I was a young lad. Brilliant game, wreacking havoc with mini-guns & gauss guns=money well spent.

Full Throttle - Some completely different at the time, such a cool game.

Half Life 2,Arma 2 MP,Max Payne and loads other people have mentioned. Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i thought this was standout moments in gaming, not list your favorite games!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

First time playing L4D online and helping some guy up after the horde raped us in the subway tunnels
    He sounded so genuinely glad that I helped him after the shock of all them zombies pouring over the wall.

Going fishing in Ocarina of Time. Truely amazed by how good a simple minigame was.
    Getting the hookshot also.

Getting my mits on the sniper rifle in GoldenEye and Stalker.
    GoldenEye because it was just so damn cool and stalker becasue you could see the tracer round arc.

Max Payne 2 + Bullet Time + Havoc + Grenade = Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Doing the first Sneaking Mode mission in Metal Gear Solid and dying straight off the bat while my friend at the time made fun of me for being so bad at it, to which I replied "I NEVER PLAYED IT BEFORE!" (Think I was about 10 at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Using VATS to kill a Super Mutant with the Bloody Mess perk in Fallout 3.
    The ending of CoD4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Deus Ex: The third play through when I started to get bored and just tried to shoot what I assumed was an invincible NPC who died later
    the female bot on the plane
    and massive massive parts of the game changed. Was absolutely blown away. Went on to play it at least 10 times just pushing every single boundary

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

5uspect wrote: »
    First time playing L4D online and helping some guy up after the horde raped us in the subway tunnels

I miss the old days when zombies just wanted to eat your brains.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Deus Ex Pretty much the whole game.

Street Fighter 2 M.Bison throws off his cape. The guy clearly means business.

Command and Conquer Cutscene where Seth's plan to overthrow Kane is cut shot in one of the best character introductions ever. Soundtrack was awesome

Command and Conquer: Red Alert Hell March and the Soviet ending (Dancing Stalin for the win)

Sonic the Hedgehog Game that got me into games.

Metal Gear Solid 3 The End Boss fight. Probably the best boss fight ever.

Left 4 Dead Encountering the horde/the tank for the first time.

Half Life series G-Man watching you from afar.

Ahh too many to list.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I miss the old days when zombies just wanted to eat your brains.

And you thought they were pain pills! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

komodosp wrote: »

- Completing Turrican 2

nice

Advertisement