Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand out moments in gaming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Metal Gear Solid 4 - When you're button bashing to crawl through that radioactive corridor and Otacon was going "Snake, everyone's counting on you!" and I was just at the end when an explosion sent me farther back and I had a sliver of health left and I was like "OMGONOZ" and I was almost crying with the drama and then... I made it!

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - When I first saw that intro movie with the epic Latin song. Yes.

Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker - At the end, when Daphnes stays behind and the epic music is going "DUN... DUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUN DUN...."

Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - Fighting Argorok in the pouring rain and beating wind at the top of the world. Nice.

Metroid Prime - Being in the very heart of the Space Pirate operation in Phendrana Drifts, the research core. Then, all the lights go out. And it is DARK. You try to slowly edge your way back up the spiral staircase to the exit, but then the Metroids break out of their reinforced glass cage and chase you, and big insect pirate things go "BLLAAARRRGGHH" and chase you and the music's going "Weeeewoowoowowowowwoo.... wwweeeeeeeeoooo..."

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - The epic exchange between Kyle Katarn and Desaan at the end, which I have learned off by heart.

And so on

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sraw

Spending way to much time listening into the guards conversations in No One Lives Forever. Just loved the humor, hell just loved the game.
    Also 2 weeks after finishing No One Lives Forever I started playing Soldier of Fortune 2. And quickly realised the level of interactivity that was in No One Lives Forever was just not there. I mean you couldn't even turn off the lights with the light switch. Soldier of Fortune 2 didn't last long after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭H1tmonlii

Beating Bubble Bobble Revolution. Just throwing it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

Gears of War 2 - Completing Level 50 of Horde at 3am. It took me 2hrs to get to sleep, I was on such a rush.

Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight - Walking around Nar Shaddaa and being in awe of the graphics.

Fallout 3 - Helping the Ghouls into Tenpenny Tower
    - then visiting later and seeing they slaughtered everyone. I'd thought I was doing the right thing!

Half Life 2 - commanding those lion ants, great fun.

Wolf 3d - Finding my first secret door and hearing that grinding noise. For some reason it always sticks in my head. Plus the joy of finding one before my older brother.

Res Evil 1 - That first Hunter. Seeing it move through its own eyes and open the door while I sat there too scared to move in real life wondering what the hell is coming for me.

So many more! Excellent thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Splinter Cell - You're chasing this guy and he keys in a PIN to escape through a doorway which then shuts in your face - no way to progress and no clue of this PIN????
    You put on your thermal goggles and watch the 4 metal keys on the keypad cool down, with the 4 being different temperatures according to the order in which he used them.

Halflife - Right from the intro on that cool train, first ever truly immersive game for me - characters walking up to ya and saying "Hi Gordon" and having casual chats with ya - great stuff. One of the lads is called Gordon says it was even better for him!

Counter Strike Source - Shooting the "Beefy" PC (very Dell) and realising it had a motherboard inside complete with a little grapics card that you could also shoot out - loved the detail.

Goldeneye
    - My first ever Sniper rifle kicks taking out those clueless guards in the Watchtowers. Really remember eventually clearing that underground bunker type level with the security cameras which was near impossible - you must have had to shoot thousands of those guys. Also first game for me with nearly unlimited hours of multiplayer mayhem

Age of Empires II
    - The first time your army decides to wander off fighting stoopid battles without you!!!! Single player - Setting up the game stacked against ya with the perfect balance of map size and future opposition so that if you didn't do everything perfectly and get armed and defended in time you were slaughtered about an hour into it - if ya got it right you still had to defend for hours and somehow come back and beat them.

Tomb Raider II
    - The wonder of Lara Croft and those worlds back in those days.....Venice Level -
    You start right beside what turns out to be the end of the level but its some journey to actually get there using those boats to blow the doors.

Rainbow Six 3
    Creeping around an Oil Refinery sweating cause you had cleared almost the whole level perfectly - but you knew that the next bullet was going to kill you.

Call of Duty
    - Dressed as a German soldier and wandering around the room casually while they all played cards.

Resident Evil II
    - Stuck literally for days in a crappy rented flat where REII was my sole source of entertainment, walking Claire Redfield around the level endlessly not able to progress - the solution was scarily random and have no idea how anyone was meant to find it?
    Find a lighter go to other side of level, decide to produce this lighter to randomly light a fire which then happens to heat up the wall over the mantlepiece which happens to burn a painting revealing a red jewel
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Stand out moments? Two; both from Shadow of The Colossus.

Never failing to run away from the shadowy tentacles though I knew it was impossible to escape. [upon defeating colossi]
    Holding on to the bitter end at the finale - grabbing on to the steps, again and again, each time I recouped the tiniest bit of strength - hoping to outlast the vortex and, ultimately, being sucked into the unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

The end of the original Tenchu on the ps1. I wont say what happens but the magic of finishing the game then the way it twists and finishes is great. You get a sort of dissapointed feeling too.

Pity none of its follow up titles have been as good.

Jumping off the police headquarters on Crackdown.

A mouthy player at FIFA switching off early because you are beating them. Normally happens when you score the 3rd. Its annoying but a great sense of satisfaction.

The whole Bioshock atmosphere. The music and story has to be one of the best I have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Glasgow83

Immense thread!

Metroid on the NES, finally beating motherbrain then trying to escape the countdown!

Quake 2 when the strogg are torturing the marines and crushing them up nasty!

FFVII all the music! leaving midgar, the ending fmv, red's cubs

Worms pulling off my first ninja rope swing

Zelda link to the past, discovering dark world

R-Type snes, the intro and immersive sound

Streetfighter 2, chewing the controller in frustration after being beaten again by that cheating pr**k vega again!

Halflife, multiplayer and those freaky giant fish

Red alert ps1 System link vs a friend stop peeking at my screen!

TA killing an enemy commander boom!

Starcraft trying to hotkey all those bloody zerglings

WoW having a smoke and wandering around the tanaris desert

Hidden & Dangerous coop mode "right you stay here and ill run over a throw a grenade ..... Sh*t misthrow run!"

Super Mario World finally doing the secret at cheese bridge solid!

And finally Zombies Ate my neighbours! what a freaky game the giant ants and psycho chainsaw guys had me roaring! Ruuuuuun!

tried to squeeze in a few new ones most of the best moments are already mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

My best moments in gaming
    1 kotor Malak without the face plate
    2 halo completing 3
    3 cod 4 the ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it was pure comedy gold the cutscenes in that game.

lol im looking down on a game because its popular hurr durr

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you played it? It's pretty bad. Not terrible but anyone that thinks the storytelling was amazing needs to sort themselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

madmac187 wrote: »
    Halo 3 when everyone thinks the chief is dead, no statue or commemoration but Spartan 117 scratched into the piece of ship. Along with the kinda unmentioned love between Cortana and the Chief throughout the game in Halo 3.

Or when Keys dies and there is nothing the chief can do to save his old friend.
    Yeah it was pure comedy gold the cutscenes in that game.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    lol im looking down on a game because its popular hurr durr
    Have you played it? It's pretty bad. Not terrible but anyone that thinks the storytelling was amazing needs to sort themselves out.

- "They out number us three to one!".
    - "Then it is a fair fight.
    "

The story/narrative is pretty cliché and annoying. Especially annoying were the moments it would slow the action down to a crawl so that either The Hive Mind thing or Cortana's voice could impart some stupid piece of dialogue to you.

"This place will become your home, this place will become your tomb"

So hard to care about anyone in that ham-fisted universe, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

Katarn1 wrote: »
    Gears of War 2 - Completing Level 50 of Horde at 3am. It took me 2hrs to get to sleep, I was on such a rush.

Star Wars Dark Forces II Jedi Knight - Walking around Nar Shaddaa and being in awe of the graphics.

Fallout 3 - Helping the Ghouls into Tenpenny Tower
    - then visiting later and seeing they slaughtered everyone. I'd thought I was doing the right thing!

Half Life 2 - commanding those lion ants, great fun.

Wolf 3d - Finding my first secret door and hearing that grinding noise. For some reason it always sticks in my head. Plus the joy of finding one before my older brother.

Res Evil 1 - That first Hunter. Seeing it move through its own eyes and open the door while I sat there too scared to move in real life wondering what the hell is coming for me.

So many more! Excellent thread.

I forgot one -

Portal - My shock at the end theme song. Loved it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

'Where will we go?'
    'To war'

Thanks commander but what we really want is some solid tactical advice and not a statement of the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭myk

I have to say I love the Battle of Endor in Star Wars: Rogue Leader for the gamecube.

A lot of the rest of my list are already covered on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

A lot of have been covered, one I suddenly remembered recently is the first time you witness the Armageddon spell in Populous the Beginning

I sat there with the biggest "OH SHIIII-" expression on my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

At 5.50mins in. Turrican, a stunning Commodore 64 action platformer suddenly goes vertical as you take off on your jetpack and some of the most memorable videogame music ever kicks in. Totally blew me away 18 years ago and still sounds great today.

Thought the music in that part was great when I was younger. Sounds awful now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Halo 3 is about as well written as an episode of The Hills. you just dont give a sh1t about anyone or anything in those games. it just seems to be a great story because microsoft said it was amazing. as emotionally touching as Deal or No Deal.

yes portal, the last challenge where you are on that tram car thing and you see your reward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Is that really the C64? I don't remember music in Turrican... (Other than the jetpack level)

Defo C64 version.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

being better then phil in Heroes of Newerth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Max payne the first game i bought for the ps2 just hooked me into a lifetime of gaming,The motorcycle level in mgs3(that starts in the tank compund)

Sonic 1: Having a hi-score competition with my brothers on one of the earlier levels, and watching one of the older lads crawling around the level picking up every ring and killing every enemy. Then i do it in 28secs and blow him out of the water with my "time bonus".

Toejam and Earl 1: A game that i love and everybody else i've ever met hates. The psychotic doctor guy who zaps you and laughs like a maniac.

SF II: When it came out on the MD and they launched the 6-button controller for the first time, they had them on display (and playable) in the game shops. Of course there was a queue of 13 year olds waiting to play and it being winner stays on, some dude was spamming E.Honda's 100-hand slap. Lesson: Never bring a fist to a fireball fight.

Fallout 3: All of it. Seriously, every single bit. My brother scratched my disc when i was about 70% through it and now i'm waiting for the goty edition to buy it again.

GTA 3: Turning on the console, trying a mission, failing, then before reloading to play it again, I decided to have a bit of crack. 3 hours later i turn it off, having never went back to do the mission and running around just acting the bollocks:- taking down choppers, sniping coppers etc. San Andreas gets an honourable mention for the sheer size of it and the parachutes.

Kid Chameleon: Never being able to do the 2nd last level (it's called the final marathon) after spending 2 hours playing in the days before saving games and then finally discovering there was a cheat to get to the last boss. I used it, beat the boss and never felt so disappointed in myself. Probably still my fave game ever. Bought it on the vc on the wii and played it for a while, then went back to it at a later date. Realised it had saved the game from my last mission, went "lol" and re-started from the start again.

I played kid chameleon for the first time late in the megadrives life. Have to say even then it hadn't aged well. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's utter ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Withdrawn_Sean

I think the first time I got a "red" kill in manhunt is firmly seared onto my brain. T'was Sickeningly good fun.

I played kid chameleon for the first time late in the megadrives life. Have to say even then it hadn't aged well. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's utter ****.

Booooooo!

imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

FF7 -- loved all of it !!

COD4 MW : Chernobyl level

MOH : beach scene , again for the immense sound

Goldeneye : for the hours of multiplayer fun

Mariokart : Snes , again for the hours of multiplayer

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Halo: Finishing the last mission with 1 second on the clock! Went out the day after and bought an Xbox 360 and Gears.

Team Fortress 2:
    Got on a really cool server and every one had mics. I looked outside and it was dark next time i looked outside it was daylight:pac:

Portal: Duh!

Crash Bandicoot on PS1: My very first game!...yes I'm young

Advertisement