Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence and insurance

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I drive a nissan micra 1 litre car and my annual insurance is €750 with Quinn Direct. I passed my test last week and renewed the insurance in August. I was just wondering would it be even worthwhile letting the insurance company know that I now have a full licence. ie would they send me out a refunbd of a certain amount or should I wait nearer to the next renewal date to inform them. I was also thinking of trading up my car around the middle of next year, so would it be worth the hassle in informing them of my full licence i.e would I get much back having paid the latest premium in August

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

inform them straight away.

you should get money back if you have paid in full or if on direct debits the should come down

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I drive a nissan micra 1 litre car and my annual insurance is €750 with Quinn Direct. I passed my test last week and renewed the insurance in August. I was just wondering would it be even worthwhile letting the insurance company know that I now have a full licence. ie would they send me out a refunbd of a certain amount or should I wait nearer to the next renewal date to inform them. I was also thinking of trading up my car around the middle of next year, so would it be worth the hassle in informing them of my full licence i.e would I get much back having paid the latest premium in August

Yes you should advise them but don't expect a refund. Even though you have now passed the test you are still considered a high risk by any insurance company. Many newly qualified drivers are involved in accidents within 12 months of passing their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

In most cases you will get a refund, although often it's not much. You're considered less of a risk having passed your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Your age and inexperience would be a much bigger factor than whether you have passed a driving test or not.

The insurance prenium for a middle aged man on a Learner Permit, with a full NCB, wouldn't really be any different from one with a Driving Licence (all else being equal).

Age and inexperience are crucial factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Your age and inexperience would be a much bigger factor than whether you have passed a driving test or not.

The insurance prenium for a middle aged man on a Learner Permit, with a full NCB, wouldn't really be any different from one with a Driving Licence (all else being equal).

Age and inexperience are crucial factors.
    I'd agree, don't expect your premium to suddenly drop,as far as insurers are concerned you could be more of a risk considering your out on the road yourself. If you want to reduce your premium best bet is the Ignition programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks. I rang them at lunch time and they would not reduce the premium or give me a refund . They just updated the system and any reductions would take place when I renew again. Anyway sure byt he time I renew agin next August I will have a different car.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

I am also with Quinn and they didn't give me a refund. Hopefully premium will be a lot lower come next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I got a refund off quinn last March/April when I passed my test. Maybe they changed their policy in the interim. I'm a 22 (21 at the time) year old male.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I got a refund of 115 from hibernian for the last 6 months of my policy when i passsed the test.
    The policy was 950 originally.

Pretty good refund i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Hi Folks,

definately inform them. My insurance is due for renewal in feb and I passed last month and still informed them. Only got €80 back, but hey, its sure better in my pocket....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I passed when I was with Quinn and got nothing.

Woman on the phone said they never do it!?

I would do is go shopping for a new policy and cancel your quinn one when you get some quotes.

I have insurance with Zurich and when I passed my tested the gave me the money back straightaway. Back dated to when I passed also.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I got a refund of €21.00 when informed my insurance company that i had passed.

So it is well worth your while informing them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ha, i think i got something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I got €200 from Quinn on a €2k policy when I passed (high because named driver + pay monthly instead of the year). That equated to €30 a month saving for the last 6 months.

Works out around 10%. Handy money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"well worth" for €21!!! :eek: :D

It may be more appropriate to say that it is in your interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My total price (with quinn) dropped from 1,700 to 1,500 (approx). Only saved 100, cos I was 6 months in allready. Definately worth making the call.
    Trampas wrote: »
    I would do is go shopping for a new policy and cancel your quinn one when you get some quotes.

This depends - if you cancel before the 12 months are up, you won't get any credit for the 3 months of claim-free driving you've had on the contract so far. Getting the extra 1 year ncb that little bit earlier might be worth more to you in the medium-long term.

I might ring Quinn again and try to speak to someone other then the girl I was talking to because she said its not in their policy to give refunds. Only the insurance policy will change when I go to renew the next time.

This depends - if you cancel before the 12 months are up, you won't get any credit for the 3 months of claim-free driving you've had on the contract so far. Getting the extra 1 year ncb that little bit earlier might be worth more to you in the medium-long term.

I agree with you but the person could save hundreds by moving as only 3 months in.

How did you get on OP?

Hi All,

I received a refund on my credit card from Quinn of a whopping €60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

i am with Quinn and when i passed... my premium dropped by 15 euro a month.... not a bad drop. if they hadnt dropped it god i wouldnt have stayed with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

quinn , dropped 16 euros after full license 1.4

switched car to a 1.5 , its raised 17 ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm with RSA - insurance dropped by €100 when I passed (29 year old female).

Even if there isn't a drop in premium, you should inform the insurance company of any changes to your circumstances to ensure that you are covered under the terms of your insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Thats rubbish about Quinn, I got over €160 when I rang up the AA/AXA to say I passed. Other people I know got around this much as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Started driving earlier this year and I paid 2700 with quinn, fully comp on a 1.4 golf. got my full licence there and my quote for next year is 1100 so yeah you should see some difference!

im 21 y/o male btw :pac:

edit: just saw your post, i guess not much of a difference!

By the way TDC, how do you find the Golf. I am thinking of getting one of them, but I was told I was best of with a 1.6 litre engine rather then the 1.4 because the heavy build of the car would not be suited for a 1.4 engine. Maybe its bolloney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

By the way TDC, how do you find the Golf. I am thinking of getting one of them, but I was told I was best of with a 1.6 litre engine rather then the 1.4 because the heavy build of the car would not be suited for a 1.4 engine. Maybe its bolloney

I love the golf, i've had it for just over a year and haven't had one problem with it, very reliable and its also a great car to drive. agree that the 1.6 would probably be the better choice as my 1.4 is quite thirsty, someone told me that its becuase its a heavy car? Not too sure tbh, but have to say I love the car :)

Thanks for the reply. I am searching around at the moment for one. I hear their great cars alright.

Advertisement