Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I swap over to E71 from Iphone

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

strecker wrote: »
    I'm sorry??????
    It's totally different, and for what it does it's certainly one of the best! But let me check:...oh, gosh, you're right, it doesn't have a touchscreen! Nor does it have the steve-jobs kill-switch! :P

core player doesn't cost a thing, and plays every format video more or less. it serves as mass storage/plug'n'play on any pc... also serves as a very fast modem without asking stevie boy for permission... etc etc!

The iphone is a very nice feature/fashion phone, but it's so pointless to compare it to the e71 it's ludicrous; and copy/paste-absence means the iphone is pretty re-tarded as a business phone...

I never even brought in the toucvh screen but your right its a nice addition.
    Copy and paste is on its way
    modem usage can be done with jailbroken phones same as storage

elderlemon wrote: »
    YOU asked what makes it a good business phone. Looking at videos, listening to music and browsing the net is not what people in business spend their time doing.
    and browse the net but mail, contacts, voice calls, maps are what I do day in day out.

The iphone does mail has contacts voice calls maps :confused: am i missing something there does the e71 do contacts better? do you just have to think of a contact and your phone sends them a message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I'll have a reasonable debate with anyone but when sarcasim comes into the debate I check out.

Goodbye.
    Rob_l wrote: »
    The iphone does mail has contacts voice calls maps :confused: am i missing something there does the e71 do contacts better? do you just have to think of a contact and your phone sends them a message?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

:lol: you're right! Nothing beats the iPhone! Nothing...no one... And it makes your coat soft and shiny and removes tartar.
    Next you explain how you can multitask much better on an iphone cause it can't... Hahaha.

:lol: you're right! Nothing beats the iPhone! Nothing...no one... And it makes your coat soft and shiny and removes tartar.
    Next you explain how you can multitask much better on an iphone cause it can't... Hahaha.

I never said it was better i never said it was the best in fact all I did was offer a side by side comparison with what people were saying the e71 does im sorry that you dont like my simple Iphone being compared to your truly great business phone, but you have yet to deny it can do any of the things i have said it can do.

The title of the thread is "Should I swap over to E71 from Iphone " so i think comparing the features of both is valid.

now time for justified use of :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    I'll have a reasonable debate with anyone but when sarcasim comes into the debate I check out.

Goodbye.

Ah the high moral ground I hope the weather is better up there

I never even brought in the toucvh screen but your right its a nice addition.
    Copy and paste is on its way
    modem usage can be done with jailbroken phones same as storage

Oh, right: "on its way"(other smartphones been doing it for years...but I guess that's really bad, eh) and jailbroken i.e. f*ck*d warrantywise...that's good. You win!
    You win!
    You...
    Win!

robinph wrote: »
    If you want a fashion accessory then get the iPhone, if you want a good email/ business phone then get an E71 and if you want a good camera then get a good camera. I can see that the iPhone looks good and has a big screen, but you cannot really use it for more than watching/ listening to stuff and making phone calls. For stuff that requires interaction, emails, browsing, sending texts (as opposed to sndng txts) etc you can't beat the E71.

I dont get what your saying?

I can send emails i can browse and sometimes i even like sending text messages

Oh, right: "on its way"(other smartphones been doing it for years...but I guess that's really bad, eh) and jailbroken i.e. f*ck*d warrantywise...that's good. You win!
    You win!
    You...
    Win!

sure sure sure

yes the feature is on its way, yes it is a drawback if you do a lot of cut and paste, i dont not a big loss, i wonder does the OP plain to do a lot of cut and paste before the feature is brought on line

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I dont get what your saying?

I can send emails i can browse and sometimes i even like sending text messages
    I never said you couldn't do those things on the iPhone, just that they are so much easier to do on the E71 with a keyboard.

Does actually seem like a slightly odd choice though to be trying to decide between the iPhone and E71 which I'd have expected to be aimed at totally different markets and uses. If someone is interested in an iPhone then what is it that is making them consider something so totally different like the E71 in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sure sure sure

yes the feature is on its way, yes it is a drawback if you do a lot of cut and paste, i dont not a big loss, i wonder does the OP plain to do a lot of cut and paste before the feature is brought on line

It's been on it's way for quite some time now. When do you think it will arrive? People have been clamouring for it since day one and what does the latest firmware update give us... Podcasts over the air :confused: An App was on sale three months ago that offered that functionality before Apple removed it.

I never said you couldn't do those things on the iPhone, just that they are so much easier to do on the E71 with a keyboard.

Does actually seem like a slightly odd choice though to be trying to decide between the iPhone and E71 which I'd have expected to be aimed at totally different markets and uses. If someone is interested in an iPhone then what is it that is making them consider something so totally different like the E71 in the first place?

there is a learning curve to using to the touchscreen that isn't there with a qwerty keyboard, but yes they are aimed and marketed at two different markets but most of the features listed in this thread about the e71 the iphone can do.

There are a certain set of people who might need a dedicated smart phone with the ability to amend docs, spreadsheets from a phone if your not one of them then I dont see the major benefits to moving from an iphone to an e71.

Im not going to say either phone is better but to ditch a new phone for another phone so early in having one would be pretty pointless unless you really need something that one or the other can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

e71 sounds great. but can you download interesting useful apps to it. In particular I was gonna buy an iphone mainly to use Karajan, an musical ear-training program. anything similar available for e71?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

How does the Nokia E71 fair out with Google email accounts?

Do you have to use Nokia Email Service (http://email.nokia.com) or is its own native client sufficient?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Google Java app works on the E71 for GMail, or you can use the built in Symbian mail application as well. Don't neet to use the Nokia Email thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

I'd agree with this, an adaptor would just jut out the side loads which would be annoying. Thanks for the link strecker.

To the OP, the e71 is absolutely fantastic. Haven't had any problems with it at all.
    The only niggling issue that I have with it is if you have the wristband lanyard thing attached and you're carrying the phone in it's leather case, having the lanyard on the open corner means that the headphone socket is completely covered. This is less of a phone issue and more of a case issue, but it bugged me nonetheless.

I bought this adaptor of eBay and use it with my Seinheisser portable headphones and the quality is brilliant. You can also receive calls (just use the phone mic) which is great as there is no fiddling about.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370104727464

The Google Java app works on the E71 for GMail, or you can use the built in Symbian mail application as well. Don't neet to use the Nokia Email thingy.

Ah you see I want push email. I use the Nokia Email Service currently on my N73.

slegs wrote: »
    I bought this adaptor of eBay and use it with my Seinheisser portable headphones and the quality is brilliant. You can also receive calls (just use the phone mic) which is great as there is no fiddling about.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370104727464

oh, you can use the built in mic with any and all earphones or even when you connect your pc speakers! Maybe my adaptor was cr*p?

How does the Nokia E71 fair out with Google email accounts?

Do you have to use Nokia Email Service (http://email.nokia.com) or is its own native client sufficient?
    built in client configured my gmail account in 30 secs ;)
    but mind you: the gmail apps v2.0 is well improved on e71... a lot of new features. but I find the built in client a bit faster!

Ah you see I want push email. I use the Nokia Email Service currently on my N73.

The Google Java app is not push, but using the built in Symbian app works fine once you have changed the settings round in GMail itself. It does seem to keep disconnecting on me recently though since I put the Exchange mail on it as well though.

• Advertisement

I've noticed the Gmail App v2.0 is alot slower on my N73 since V1.0.
    Also Nokia Email Service is slow to push emails lately now.

I think I might get the E71 as an upgrade on 3.

Advertisement