Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal minding service

Options
  • 05-11-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, thinking of setting up an animal minding service and i was looking for opinions from people as to whether they think people would actually use it and if it would be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

In your own home or would you be going to the owners homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

I was thinking of a mobile service so I would visit people's home's in the evening or weekend etc to feed the animal (s), walk them if necessary etc so they get to stay in their own environment

Ok..well first off yes there is definitely a need for a service like that. A good few have been set up (especially in Dublin) in the last year or 2. I personally do it myself and will tell you the advantages and disadvantages.
    Advantages
    You're your own boss
    Get to look after some great pets
    You can suit your hours to your lifestyle

Disadvantages
    -Impossible to have large client base if its just you working. You can have approx a dozen regular clients only. You dont want to let people down so you cant say yes to every job.
    -Traffic problems limit the areas you can do during the day e.g if you have a call in in clontarf at 5pm you cant do another call in in templeogue for 6. Logistics need to be worked out.
    -Some owners are very fussy and it can be stressful at times when they ask you to call in to (yet again) go through their pets requirements when theyre away. They also phone and text at random hours of the day and night so you have to be available to ring them back.
    -Issues will definitely arise regarding the pets health and their house. Be prepared for these to crop up.
    -If you get insurance make sure you have enough work to make it worth your while.

Thanks for that Anniehoo, a lot of helpful advice. Can i ask if you do it by yourself and how you went about getting clients?

I would really love to do it and think i would be ready for the disadvantages

I mainly do it by myself but i do have some other girls who help out occassionally if im stuck. It doesnt suit everyones lifestyle and you have to be quite flexible. I stay in peoples house quite alot so ye have to not mind packing a bag and staying in a strangers house (if you decide to go down the overnight stay route).

I advertised on irishanimals.ie under the pet care section.You will get alot of calls from this. I stopped advertising as id reached my limit of pets i could mind. Other work came from word of mouth (one owner telling another etc) and i had little business cards (cheap and cheerful on vistaprint.ie) to give out if i was ever talking to someone.
    You're best starting with one or two for the references as if you progress you will need these for future clients.
    Good luck..it is a very fun job but can be hard at times!

• Advertisement

have you made it your full time job and is there anything i need to do to start this or can i just start and use cash as the basis for paying? is there any other things that i should be thinking about?

Thanks a mil for the advice by the way! much appreciated

PMd ya there...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

From a client side (I have a pet minder / dog walker).

I would require as a bare minimum:

references from past employers (I'd be giving you the keys to my house after all)
    and references from other clients (in relation to your pet minding abilities)
    evidence of your experience of caring for / working with the particular type of pet that I would be considering employing you to care for
    that you are insured in relation to the work you would be doing

When meeting for the first time questions that I would expect a potential dog walker / pet minder to ask / tell me:
    my pet's likes & dislikes
    feeding times
    medical history (to include proof of up to date vax's)
    vet's details
    whether my dog(s) have good recall & if it's acceptable for them to be let off the lead on walks
    how my pets interact with other pets (she minds them in her house)
    details of house alarms / locks & assurances of how my key & my details will not be kept together in her car / house
    details of anyone else who she employs who may have access to my home / pets and their experience & that their references have been thoroughly checked

These are just a few points off the top of my head but when looking for a dog walker / pet minder I spoke to 3 different people & 1 of them didn't appear to have put any thought into it or IMO to have a clue what she was at. As far as the other 2 it was a personal choice between the 2, based on her interaction with my dogs & cats, when she called to meet us all, the long questionnaire she went through with me in great detail and her excellent references. She's been minding my pets & walking my dogs for 4 & a half years now & I trust her implicitly - when she's minding them overnight I get a text to let me know how they're getting on & the first day that she came to walk my dogs, I got photos of them emailed to me later that day to show me them having fun up the mountains on their walk... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sweetpearoe

Hi,
    just wondering if anybody can recommend a pet minding service that they have used in the past? I have 2 cats that I don't want to put in kennels when I go on holidays so would need somebody to drop in and feed them etc. I live in the Baldoyle area of Dublin. I would really appreciate any advice as i have only 2 weeks to organise this before i have to go away. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sinead1

From a client side (I have a pet minder / dog walker).

I would require as a bare minimum:

references from past employers (I'd be giving you the keys to my house after all)
    and references from other clients (in relation to your pet minding abilities)
    evidence of your experience of caring for / working with the particular type of pet that I would be considering employing you to care for
    that you are insured in relation to the work you would be doing

When meeting for the first time questions that I would expect a potential dog walker / pet minder to ask / tell me:
    my pet's likes & dislikes
    feeding times
    medical history (to include proof of up to date vax's)
    vet's details
    whether my dog(s) have good recall & if it's acceptable for them to be let off the lead on walks
    how my pets interact with other pets (she minds them in her house)
    details of house alarms / locks & assurances of how my key & my details will not be kept together in her car / house
    details of anyone else who she employs who may have access to my home / pets and their experience & that their references have been thoroughly checked

These are just a few points off the top of my head but when looking for a dog walker / pet minder I spoke to 3 different people & 1 of them didn't appear to have put any thought into it or IMO to have a clue what she was at. As far as the other 2 it was a personal choice between the 2, based on her interaction with my dogs & cats, when she called to meet us all, the long questionnaire she went through with me in great detail and her excellent references. She's been minding my pets & walking my dogs for 4 & a half years now & I trust her implicitly - when she's minding them overnight I get a text to let me know how they're getting on & the first day that she came to walk my dogs, I got photos of them emailed to me later that day to show me them having fun up the mountains on their walk... ;)

very good advice above but Will you register for tax purposes? a lot of people would be a lot more reasured if they know you are a registerd business paying your fairshare of tax.. please don't get me wrong here but then it's all above board and you are a legit business. If you are really going to go for it try a business development course in your local area and they will help you research your business plan and help you with marketing advice etc.. it will give you a more clearer view of what you want to do and maybe some great idea's for your new business.

Good luck with it

Sinead (the maid)

Dog's have masters Cat's have Staff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement