Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OBAMA'S ANCESTORS & HERITAGE

Options
  • 05-11-2008 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

A lot has been made in Ireland of Obama's Irish heritage - but who cares if 'one' of his ancestors was Irish?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1550485/Obama%27s-Irish-roots-found-to-be-Protestant.html

Upon hearing about Obama & his 'Irish Roots' I thought I would do a little research of my own from this site. http://genealogy.about.com/od/aframertrees/p/barack_obama.htm and it transpires (not surprisingly) that not only does Obama have an ancestor from Ireland, but he has them from all over the place :eek: from Belgium to Scotland (& Ireland), so why do we in Ireland feel compelled to shout about the Irish origins of his Great Great Great Great Grandfather?

Here is a short list of many of Obama's (Family Tree) ancestral surname origins as found on this site: http://www.houseofnames.com/fc.asp?sId=&s=Dunham

ARMOUR - English
    CLARK – Anglo/Scots
    DUNHAM - English
    HOLLOWAY - English
    KEARNEY - Irish :)
    MCCURRY - Scottish
    OBAMA - Kenyan
    OVERALL - English
    PAYNE - English
    STROUP - Belgian
    WOLFLEY - English
    WRIGHT – Anglo/Scots

Obama does indeed have an Irish connection, but is it any more important than any of the others? can the Belgians, the English or the Scots claim him as one of their own? or is it just the Irish ancestor that counts?

I do realise that this Topic is lightweight piffle, but the way some Irish Radio & TV commentators are going-on about Obama being 'Irish' makes me belly laugh - hence this enlightening Thread . . . . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you researched all the news reports in all those countries to see if they also get excited about his ancestry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ehh I don't think most Irish people care that he has a tiny % of Irish in him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The Irish media (and politicians) always hype up something with an Irish\American angle. I heard that Cowen has extended an invitation to Obama to visit Offaly already.

It's a bit like the papers telling us that an Irish film has 'Taken Hollywood by storm', when it may actually be only playing in some back steer independent cinema and only Irish ex-pats going to it.

Most Irish people here and in America take it with a pinch of salt.

Obama's ancestors from Offaly where not your typical Irish, Catholic famine ship immigrants.

One was Provost of Trinity College, a pretty prestigious job on anyone one's CV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mammy2oo8

OBAMA rulles....the best

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

• Advertisement

that was posted here months ago, it's awful muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Obama's ancestors from Offaly where not your typical Irish, Catholic famine ship immigrants.

And now suddenly, Camelot is fawning over Obama's ancestors... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

that was posted here months ago, it's awful muck.

I though it was quite good - very catchy. You just have no taste in music :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

1799 - 1806 – John Kearney <---thats interesting, didn't know that. Thanks Benedict.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Obama is actually aware of the Irish connection which surprises me. Anyone see this clip? Check out about 1:32 into it...

"There's a little village in Ireland where my great, great, great, great-grandfather came from. So I'm looking forward to going there and having a pint."

Top man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Here's another one ................. :)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OMG! The chosen one may come to Ireland!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Saw his "ancestral home-town" on the news. One look at the locals and he'll stay away :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Biden is far more Irish, hope he visiits here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Biffobama?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

eh because ireland is seen as one of the sort of 'cool' countries to be from, whereas ulster-scotts and scot irish aren't really deemed irish...basically nobody cares about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Biden comes from a Irish catholic family. Obama is very aware of his Irish roots, i have heard him refer to us more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

"There's a little village in Ireland where my great, great, great, great-grandfather came from. So I'm looking forward to going there and having a pint."

Top man!

i see that as pandering for irish-american votes to be honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Obama was born American, not born Irish. If we start tracing all our ancestry to show links, it will illustrate that we are all hybrids (mutts in doggy terms). So what's the big deal about Obama's distant ancestors?

Oh, I know! This is all about getting kissed! St Pat's Day is a big deal in Chicago, where they dye the river green, dress in green (or get pinched), parade down the Miracle Mile, and drink from dusk to dawn on Rush Street, running all about with sweat shirts that claim they are Irish and wanting to be kissed.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dennisthemennis

ancestry is different in the us than it is to other places. while it would be laughable for someone in ireland to be like 'ye im french, cause my family are french hugenots' in america someone would i presume be comofrtable with this and identify themselves as french.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

ancestry is different in the us than it is to other places. while it would be laughable for someone in ireland to be like 'ye im french, cause my family are french hugenots' in america someone would i presume be comofrtable with this and identify themselves as french.

I second that, Den. Growing up in the states kids are shockingly good at percentages when it comes to their family ancestries...

"So like, I'm half Irish, fifteen percent French, twelve percent Polish, ten percent Lithuanian and three percent Navajo... so really, I'm Native American."

And the thing is, we're all ok with that. In fact, we encourage it. I don't think there's another place on earth where you can be any nationality as long as a sliver of someone in your family history mucked through there.

Of course, on a less cynical note: to me Obama's more of an American president than any I've been alive to see. I don't want to over-attribute graces to the man, but yes he's the face of change. And sanity.

eh because ireland is seen as one of the sort of 'cool' countries to be from, whereas ulster-scotts and scot irish aren't really deemed irish...basically nobody cares about this.

Really,
    Tell that to the millions of Ulster-Scots 'Irish' that live in Virginia, Tennessee and the Carolinas that see themselves as 'Irish'

Back around 1999 there was a documentary series on RTE about the Irish in America, and I recall them saying that of the Americans that claim Irish ancestry, 55% of them are of Ulster Protestant origin, rather than Catholic origin.

Can anybody remember the show, I would like to watch it again if it is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Back around 1999 there was a documentary series on RTE about the Irish in America, and I recall them saying that of the Americans that claim Irish ancestry, 55% of them are of Ulster Protestant origin, rather than Catholic origin.

Can anybody remember the show, I would like to watch it again if it is available.

Yes indeed, I remember the programme & the 55%, but that shouldnt be a surprise really, there is no reason why only 'one' religion would have emigrated to the New World - Sorry, I cant remember the name of the programme either, maybe RTE can help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Obama is actually aware of the Irish connection which surprises me. Anyone see this clip? Check out about 1:32 into it...

Top man!

See there's this thing called the "irish lobby"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

This is true. Ironically the majority of "irish americans" are actually "ulster scot americans"

Camelot wrote: »
    Yes indeed, I remember the programme & the 55%, but that shouldnt be a surprise really, there is no reason why only 'one' religion would have emigrated to the New World - Sorry, I cant remember the name of the programme either, maybe RTE can help out.

Well it will surprise a lot of people. Irish America is seen as very 'Nationalist', pro 'United Ireland', 'brits out'.

So to hear that most Irish Americans are the descendants of Ulster Scots Protestants would surprise many.

Advertisement