Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help - weird problem with Netgear Wireless Router

• 05-11-2008 1:10pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I moved into a new apartment and it has NTL broadband with a Netgear wireless router - the white one that NTL give out. it was up and running fine so I tried to connect my laptop to it, but it was looking for a key/password cause of the security. Unfortunately no one knows what this password is. So, I thought if I reset the modem I could log in and change it - as least that's the way it works with my linksys. So, I pushed the reset button for 10 seconds and the lights flashed etc etc. I then searched for wireless networks on my laptop but none were found. Tried restarting etc but nothing. I then noticed that the little wireless icon was not lit - so it does not seem to be broadcasting a wireless network.

I've tried everything I can think of but I cannot fix it. I connected via RJ45 but can't seem log in to the router (I think its 192.168.0.1 but this does not work).

Any idea of what this might be and how I can fix it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Its 192.168.1.1 and you need to run the setup via cable before wlan will be activated. Make sure you change the SSID of the WLAN also. Had a callout this week about a WLAN that would connect 2 in 10 times. Three people with networks called Netgear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I tried 192.168.1.1 too cause that is what my linksys is, did not work either.

The whole thing was working fine with my flatmates laptop before I came in, but it stopped broacasting a wireless signal entirely after i reset it.

Whe you say 'run the setup via cable' - how exactly do i do this?
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

plug the cable in to the router and your laptop.

open Internet explorer or firefox goto address: 192.168.1.1 (if that doesnt work try 192.168.1.254)

This will open the router settings page. Here you can turn on/off the wireless transmission, change security settings, turn on/off different types of filtering and most important for you get the WEP or WPA encryption key being used.

If you get to the screen where it has the settings and dont konw what to do. Kepp it open, call the support and tell them where you are and they will tell you what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Start Menu > Run > Type "cmd" and press enter > Type "ipconfig" and press enter.

Copy and paste the results up here. Your router address is the "Default Gateway"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Plug a cable into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router....your laptop should get an address via dhcp. Then if you try 192.168.1.1 it should work, as far as I remember that's what mine was set up for when I got NTL. I ended up using a WRT54G instead of the Netgear router though so my memory is a bit hazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Any solutions to this annoying problem. I keep having to switch the Netgear wireless router off and on to get it to work after a disconnect. 2 or 3 time a day with no other way of fixing the connection. Is there anyway of stopping this? Should I get new router?
    Chorus NTL are useless and I don't have much failth in their ability to fix this.
    Would a cable ( Ethernet) be more reliable?

Advertisement