Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Storm feedback and priceplans

• 05-11-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

was thinking about changing my phone, am on 3, contract nearly up, have an lg viewty and dont really wanna move network but 3's phone choices are pretty poor.

was thinking about an iphone or blackberry storm... untill i saw that vodafone have special priceplans for this phone that make iphone pland look cheap! see below

http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/paymonthly/access/.jsp

How the hell do they expect you to fork out 50 quid for 100min and 100 txts with 1 gig surfing ,when iphone is 45 quid for 175mins and 100 txtx + 1 gig surfing..seems insane!!

any1 agree??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

It seems a good deal better deal to me...
    • The phone is 60 quid cheaper.
    • You get 2Gig, not 1.
    • It's a 12 month plan rather than an 18. €50*12<€45*18
    • You get Mobile TV and 10 track downloads per month
    • It's Vodafone so you can buy other top ups with the plan, unlike the iPhone plan.

So TCO is about €710, whereas iPhone is €980.
    That said, I'll hold off judging the phone itself... I think I'd prefer the iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

GUIGuy wrote: »
    It seems a good deal better deal to me...
    • The phone is 60 quid cheaper.
    • Second you get 2Gig, not 1.
    • It's a 12 month plan rather than an 18.
    • You get Mobile TV and 10 track downloads per month
    • It's Vodafone so you can buy other top ups with the plan, unlike the iPhone plan.
    So TCO is about 710, whereas iPhone is 980.
    That said, I'll hold off judging the phone itself... I think I'd prefer the iPhone

hi,
    2 gig you mention, it says 1 gig of blackberry email and web..i assume this is for general web surfing

then it says 1 gig vodafone live..what is this?is this just for surfing vodafone material?if so then its not 2 gig but i may be wrong, its not clear.

Mobile tv is restricted to the news and sports pack which some people will have no interest in..it doesnt give you the choice to go with a different tv pac such as the entertainment one with sky one etc..

I just think 100 min is pathetic for 50 quid..its a phone after all and for 50 euro i expect more than just over 3 mins a day talk time included..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭keith_d99

But where is the wifi on the Blackberry????

Forget about prices - this is a massive drawback!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Lads i'm using a nokia E65 and very rarely use the wifi that everyone goes on about. Is there a use for it other than just connecting through your wifi at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Boom Boom wrote: »
    Lads i'm using a nokia E65 and very rarely use the wifi that everyone goes on about. Is there a use for it other than just connecting through your wifi at home?
    There are plenty of places around (coffee shops and the like) which offer free wireless access. I'd prefer to surf the web on an iPhone (or similar) when I'm chilling out instead of having to lug a laptop around with me.

It would also be handy at home - far easier to take out your phone to check bus timetables or results or whatever, than to have to turn on your computer, wait for it to boot and all that.

Haven't got one yet, just waiting for the i900 to come out before I decide on whether to get that or an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Hotels, airports, offices etc have Wi-Fi access, so it saves people a lot of money if they are in any of these places and wish to use their handset to connect to the Internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

If you want to use VOIP wifi is a must, plus in most cases its quicker and more reliable that 3G, there are good reasons people still have fixed broadband over 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I have to say I think the vodafone storm priceplans are alot better than 02 iphone ones, which has already been outlines, mainly as I think the price plans and contract length for the iphone are a rob. I do however hate that the storm hasn't got wifi! You do however get the free vodafone to vodafone calls and texts free on PC 400 or higher which you don't get a comparable one from o2

If you're not interested in TV or music then fair enough, these extras won't make any difference to you... but in terms of minutes I think it's reasonable, as it's a 12 month, not an 18 month contract. If you could have 2Gig on the iPhone it would cost an extra tenner so the iPhone tarriff would then be €5 more expensive. You can always top-up/add-on the vodafone tariff... but you can't with the iPhone. So yes tbh it may at first seem nigardly but I think its actually better value.

It is 2Gig... they are 2 different APNs asfaik, but it does seem daft that they split it over the 2.
    The Wifi issue disappointed me alright, but I reckon 2gig is probably ok for a mobile. The iPhone only has 1 (but then it does have wifi) so people on the o2 forums are complaining about that and getting... nowhere:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

other than the uses mentioned, wifi is also good as you can turn the phone itself into a wifi hotspot using programs such as joiku or walkinghotspot. You can then connect your laptop, ipod or other phones to your wifi phone, share the internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Thanks lads and lassies

i've had all this power at my diposal and never thought of how to use i'm going to go have a search at how to use it more effectively

GUIGuy wrote: »
    If you're not interested in TV or music then fair enough, these extras won't make any difference to you... but in terms of minutes I think it's reasonable, as it's a 12 month, not an 18 month contract. If you could have 2Gig on the iPhone it would cost an extra tenner so the iPhone tarriff would then be €5 more expensive. You can always top-up/add-on the vodafone tariff... but you can't with the iPhone. So yes tbh it may at first seem nigardly but I think its actually better value.

It is 2Gig... they are 2 different APNs asfaik, but it does seem daft that they split it over the 2.
    The Wifi issue disappointed me alright, but I reckon 2gig is probably ok for a mobile. The iPhone only has 1 (but then it does have wifi) so people on the o2 forums are complaining about that and getting... nowhere

still cant see how 100 mins is good value at 50 quid, for the same money on 3 you will get 350 mins, or say 300 mins and 150 txts plus the usual free call to same network..its just that i use 300 mins per mnth, which sets me back 50 quid on 3, if i were to go with the storm,id have to pay 85 quid for the 400 min plan, or 65 for the 200min plan and the extra 100 min id use woud cost me 25 quid (100 x 25 cent) ...so my main problem is with the minutes..(which EVERYONE uses)..they should give a decent bundle of mins and thenmake you pay extra for music,tv etc if you wish to use it(id guess many dont)..

really want the phone but am having a hard time trying to justify the high extra cost for services i dont use..iphone on the other hand will give me 350 mins which i need, at a cost of 65 quid '(saving me 20 a month vs the storm)..id rather the storm but doesnt look viable for some who uses their phone primarely to make calls as apposed to buying music tracks ,watching tv etc..

For €65 voda gives you 200 minutes +200 texts O2 give 350+150. But with voda you also get free vodafone to vodafone calls. So assuming that about half your average 350mins is spent to other vodafone customers then you'll get and extra 175 minutes free.

I'm not defending Vodafone... I just think that their offering is slightly better value. I'm in a similar boat. I'll get a new phone in January and will choose btween iPhone, Storm and HTC Touch HD (sim free)... but I'll wait to play with all three of them

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Does anyone know if the Blackberry storm will be available ready to go like the Iphone is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Blackberry storm will be available ready to go like the Iphone is?

I don't think any networks offer the Blackberry on prepay, as you can't use the Blackberry email service unless you are a postpay customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i'm vaguely thinking about getting one of these. Like the idea of staying with vodafone as all my family are with them.

The sky sports part really sounds appealing... Anyone have any experience of the mobile tv and if it is actually any good?

Are they released yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

I've only seen those dummy versions of the Storm in Vodafone shops and I'm very skeptical about the clicking touchscreen. It seems that it would be slower for typing than the iPhone and a bit uncomfortable to use. What are people's opinions on it?

well i was torn between this phone and iphone 3g.. i have settled on iphone 3g because

the storm is very plasticy..iphone feels much more premium, with the materials its made from.glass screen is v nice.

the storm has no wifi

dont like the storm priceplans,

however, the storm can text in landscape which is nice, and has a decent camera with flash, can video..these are things iphone are crap for!

all in all i prefer the iphone, especially that i can use it with my current network (3), and no contract- am buying a factory unlocked version..expensive but worth it i think , as i can stay on my 3 priceplan @29 euro per months, and get a 10 euro 1gb data add on if i wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

read something today that compared to Vodafone UK, Ireland is getting shafted in terms of price plans for this Storm phone...usual stuff we get over here, haven't seen the plans but apparently huge difference, no real reason for it other than i suppose they know the irish will pay it....

Bulmers wrote: »
    read something today that compared to Vodafone UK, Ireland is getting shafted in terms of price plans for this Storm phone...usual stuff we get over here, haven't seen the plans but apparently huge difference, no real reason for it other than i suppose they know the irish will pay it....

this is very true, but in fairness to vodafone, they are not competing with uk networks, they are competing with the other irish networks...this is a different maket , with only a fraction of the amount of consumers as the uk..so the plans should be compared to what other irish networks offer// thats not to say that this country is a rip cause it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 krayZpaving

Bulmers wrote: »

That's this, I presume. Head it on Matt Cooper during the week too.,

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Just thought i'd drop a quick note in here.
    So, i was all ready to buy the Storm on Thursday (it's confirmed to be coming out the 27th Nov now)... So I know i'm about 3weeks of my contract being up (i upgraded just around xmas last year).
    So, i phone the customer Care, and get what can only be described as the rudest woman ever, and i'm told that I can't get the phone. I am not and will not be eligible for an upgrade now, nor can the say when i will be (i was told it could be 18 months + before I'm eligible - what's that about?).
    I've NEVER ever had a problem upgrading (and in tern renewing my contract with Vodafone), but seems like they are not going to budge. They also don't have any other ways for people to get the phone who are not ready for an upgrade. This is unacceptable. I spend alot of money each month with Voda and i've been with them for many many years and this is how the decide to treat their customers by not allowing them to renew their contract in order to get the companies flagship phone...
    If i don't get this resolved tomorrow I will be terminating my contract and moving my business else where.

Out of interest, does anyone have any good contacts in vodafone that may be able to help?

Cheers,
    B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

belmulletman- just sent you a PM

Just thought i'd drop a quick note in here.
    So, i was all ready to buy the Storm on Thursday (it's confirmed to be coming out the 27th Nov now)... So I know i'm about 3weeks of my contract being up (i upgraded just around xmas last year).
    So, i phone the customer Care, and get what can only be described as the rudest woman ever, and i'm told that I can't get the phone. I am not and will not be eligible for an upgrade now, nor can the say when i will be (i was told it could be 18 months + before I'm eligible - what's that about?).
    I've NEVER ever had a problem upgrading (and in tern renewing my contract with Vodafone), but seems like they are not going to budge. They also don't have any other ways for people to get the phone who are not ready for an upgrade. This is unacceptable. I spend alot of money each month with Voda and i've been with them for many many years and this is how the decide to treat their customers by not allowing them to renew their contract in order to get the companies flagship phone...
    If i don't get this resolved tomorrow I will be terminating my contract and moving my business else where.

Out of interest, does anyone have any good contacts in vodafone that may be able to help?

Cheers,
    B.

im a bit confused..if your contract is up in 3 weeks then u can leave them and rejoin as a new customer and get the storm..thats if u still want to stay with vodafone after them treating u like that..

since ur current contract is up in 3 weeks , im sure voda arnt gonna want them to leave and rejoin in order to get the storm..as there is a possability you may not rejoin after u leave...so id say get speaking to a supervisor , explain your situation and they will upgrade u...or else go for an iphone(better in my opinion)..but not with 02!get a factory unlocked 1 and use it with who you like

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

cojomo2 wrote: »
    im a bit confused..if your contract is up in 3 weeks then u can leave them and rejoin as a new customer and get the storm..thats if u still want to stay with vodafone after them treating u like that..

since ur current contract is up in 3 weeks , im sure voda arnt gonna want them to leave and rejoin in order to get the storm..as there is a possability you may not rejoin after u leave...so id say get speaking to a supervisor , explain your situation and they will upgrade u...or else go for an iphone(better in my opinion)..but not with 02!get a factory unlocked 1 and use it with who you like

Tried a supervisor... she was more rude that the initial customer support!
    Asked her about canceling my contract and she was more than helpful... but no way would she upgrade me before the 12months at least.
    I don't understand it. My Girlfriend got an upgrade 4 months early and she only moved to Voda last Nov... so not even with them a year and got an upgrade early (and her bill are half mine). I just don't get it at all..

Ah-Watch... PM'd you back! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Tried a supervisor... she was more rude that the initial customer support!
    Asked her about canceling my contract and she was more than helpful... but no way would she upgrade me before the 12months at least.
    I don't understand it. My Girlfriend got an upgrade 4 months early and she only moved to Voda last Nov... so not even with them a year and got an upgrade early (and her bill are half mine). I just don't get it at all..

Ah-Watch... PM'd you back! :)

Nuts, I'm out of contract with Voda for the last 3 weeks, and my upgrade eligibility on the website still says No.
    Was going to ring about getting an upgrade and trying to get the Storm, but I don't want to get into a fight with some muppet on the phone regarding it.

Ah well, 9 years of loyalty with Vodafone, may well be just coming to an end. iPhone methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

The storm is getting slated in reviews, listen to engadget or gdgt podcasts....

It was always going to be a peice of sh1t, RIM said when the iphone came out that they were not now or ever going to be interested in doing a touch screen.

This phone is just to try and get back some of the peoeple that went to the iphone......

I have had a play on one and its laggy, you also have to b1tch slap it to do anything. It seems half finished. (As does the iphone)

The Bold on the other hand is a nice phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have had a play on one and its laggy, you also have to b1tch slap it to do anything. It seems half finished. (As does the iphone)
    I heard a reviewer talking about it, and apparently the screen is designed so that it "clicks" (i.e the whole screen moves) when you want to press something.

If you're used to an iPhone or one of the other touchscreens, this will annoy you because the thing appears slow and unresponsive. But a number of people who've tried out my tocco have commented that they don't like the touchscreen because there's no "click", so people who haven't already owned another touchscreen device, may like the Storm because of the feedback.

I still have my tocco set up to vibrate when I touch the screen to give me feedback.

yeah i havnt used one yet but looked at loads of reviews and it does seem like a nice phone but it does fall short in many places..as mentioned its a bit laggy, but the main thing is no wifi..

in my opinion, if you want a nice phone with jaw dropping looks, good mps player and excellent browsing then iphone wins

on the other hand if u are willing to sacrafice the above ( but stillk have decent mp3 /browsing along with excellent emailing capabilities then the storm wins

i change my mind every day which phone im going to get but as i cant remember the last time i sent an email on my phone im sticking with iphone, i think the iphone maybe wins on looks also, i like the glass screen.

also i dont really like vodafone, think they rip people off, same goes for 02 (they still charge for voicfemail) and Eircom are the mother of all rip offs and they own Meteor! So that just leaves 3 Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bit the bullet and bought one basically coz i fancy a blackberry and this is the cheapest one i can get. Quite like the screen when i played with it in shop.

I also like the idea of skysports.:o

I'll report back once i've set it up with it and tell you if i've made a mistake or if it is the best thing since sliced bread...

Advertisement