Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Storm feedback and priceplans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Nice one RuggieBear.

BTW, what price plan did you go with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

the 200 text/minute for 65euro. and 90 euro for the handset.

Tbh i only went for that as the free vodafone to vodafone text add on will probably save me a fortune as the whole family and most of my mates are on vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

mobius42 wrote: »

I wouldn't take too much from that review. Apparently he's a man for all things Apple.

The best review of this phone you're going to get is straight off Boards.ie, where regular joes and josephines like us get to use it in the real world and can comment on whats good and bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I got the Treo Pro, its savage, and its also a palm PC.
    It really is a good phone. They're produced sim free but vodafone has a version now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

RuggieBear wrote: »
    bit the bullet and bought one basically coz i fancy a blackberry and this is the cheapest one i can get. Quite like the screen when i played with it in shop.

I also like the idea of skysports.:o

I'll report back once i've set it up with it and tell you if i've made a mistake or if it is the best thing since sliced bread...

well!! whats it like? what free tv is included in your priceplan, is it just the sports/news, or everything, or can u pick a pack?

literally just home this minute. i'll open it in a sec and all going well i'll report in an hour or two. lol

like it so far.

still getting to grips with the touch screen but it is quite clever.

main problem so far is never having had a blackberry I'm not very used to how it organises itself....that's what 10 years of Nokia does to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

like it so far.

still getting to grips with the touch screen but it is quite clever.

main problem so far is never having had a blackberry I'm not very used to how it organises itself....that's what 10 years of Nokia does to you.

I hear ya!!
    Got one today as well. Still not 100% on it, but will wait and see.
    One thing that's already got me a couple of times is hitting the speaker / mute button when i'm on a call (i'm resting it on my shoulder while i'm working)

We'll see what happens when the next software update happens and then i'll make my decision!

I hear ya!!
    Got one today as well. Still not 100% on it, but will wait and see.
    One thing that's already got me a couple of times is hitting the speaker / mute button when i'm on a call (i'm resting it on my shoulder while i'm working)

We'll see what happens when the next software update happens and then i'll make my decision!

have you used an iphone 3g before?I am supposed to be getting one next week but this phone is making me think twice, what do you think, or how do you think they compare?

i know the storm is better for emailing and office applications as its a blackberry but i wont be using my phone for this..i just want the best device(that also looks cool i.e not a bulky nokia n96) for music/mobile tv/media and web browsing. i know the iphones camera is crap and it wont send mms but i can get over that...

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    have you used an iphone 3g before?I am supposed to be getting one next week but this phone is making me think twice, what do you think, or how do you think they compare?

i know the storm is better for emailing and office applications as its a blackberry but i wont be using my phone for this..i just want the best device(that also looks cool i.e not a bulky nokia n96) for music/mobile tv/media and web browsing. i know the iphones camera is crap and it wont send mms but i can get over that...
    never used an iphone which is probably why i'm finding the typing and web browsing on the storm so easy.

from all the reviews it seems the iphone is a superior media device ....

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Jimmy Joe Joe

Got one of these yesterday. Seems pretty nice, however :

no wifi
    no MMS - cannot send picture messages
    I was able to download MSN(messenger), it doesn't work though
    no sat nav as far as I can tell

I rang vodafone to see if they could help me, they don't offer technical support though.

My boyfriend has one now months (work related testing etc) and i have to say they are fantantic
    I have a blackberry pearl so going from a click button device to a touch click screen would take a couple of days for me to get used to but the camera and browsing on it is far superior to the iphone frok my own observations anyway

My boyfriend has one now months (work related testing etc) and i have to say they are fantantic
    I have a blackberry pearl so going from a click button device to a touch click screen would take a couple of days for me to get used to but the camera and browsing on it is far superior to the iphone frok my own observations anyway

camera yes, but browsing? in what way is it 'far superior' ?
    i have read loads of reviews many praising thr storm for email etc, but all of them say that the browser, allthough very good, can not even come close to the safari browser on the iphone...

I've played around with both devices a few times I just found the Storm easier to use when browsing because of the click screen

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I posted this on another thread, but thought i'd drop it here as well:
    Hey Guys,
    Just to drop my 2cents in here...
    I bought the Blackberry Storm on Thursday evening. I'd been waiting for it since it was announced, so when it was released it rushed to buy it (I also had read lots about the problems it has currently, and still wanted it)...
    BUT,
    I returned it today. It has to be the worst phone i've ever used.
    I currently can't think of any redeeming qualities. While the screen is nice, the click tech is fundamentally flawed... (the "nub" that allows the screen to click is based in the middle of the screen, so the edges don't click as well as the middle... i know there is a supposed "fix" where you put a piece of paper behind the battery to "enhance" the click and make the edges work better, but this shouldn't be needed, it's just a flaw).
    now the software... Just Terrible!! I know they've acknowledged the software needs to be updated, but I was unable to answer ANY call that came into the phone yesterday. The phone would vibrate, but nothing else. Pressing the screen wouldn't do anything, nor would pressing the green answer button on the phone it's self! The Accelerometer may as well not be there for the amount it works!
    Finally there's the battery life... I knew it was going to be bad... So I turned the phone to GPRS from 3G to save battery, but it was DEAD in 6 hours... Charged it again and 3 hours later... 50%. At that point i changed back to my old N95 8gb.
    When i brought it back into the store, the needed to Verify the problem before they'd refund it!... So i got my refund! :)

So, to summarize, I so desperately wanted to like this phone... but there was nothing in the end that could redeem it in my eyes! (even a software update that my solve some of the bugs, still won't solve the click screen issue)

If anyone has any specific questions, PM me and i'd be more than happy to answer.

T>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Boom Boom wrote: »
    Thanks lads and lassies

i've had all this power at my diposal and never thought of how to use i'm going to go have a search at how to use it more effectively

Download Nokias Internet Radio. Great streaming over wifi. I use it daily on my phone for BBC world service.
    http://europe.nokia.com/A41107005

I posted this on another thread, but thought i'd drop it here as well:
    Hey Guys,
    Just to drop my 2cents in here...
    I bought the Blackberry Storm on Thursday evening. I'd been waiting for it since it was announced, so when it was released it rushed to buy it (I also had read lots about the problems it has currently, and still wanted it)...
    BUT,
    I returned it today. It has to be the worst phone i've ever used.
    I currently can't think of any redeeming qualities. While the screen is nice, the click tech is fundamentally flawed... (the "nub" that allows the screen to click is based in the middle of the screen, so the edges don't click as well as the middle... i know there is a supposed "fix" where you put a piece of paper behind the battery to "enhance" the click and make the edges work better, but this shouldn't be needed, it's just a flaw).
    now the software... Just Terrible!! I know they've acknowledged the software needs to be updated, but I was unable to answer ANY call that came into the phone yesterday. The phone would vibrate, but nothing else. Pressing the screen wouldn't do anything, nor would pressing the green answer button on the phone it's self! The Accelerometer may as well not be there for the amount it works!
    Finally there's the battery life... I knew it was going to be bad... So I turned the phone to GPRS from 3G to save battery, but it was DEAD in 6 hours... Charged it again and 3 hours later... 50%. At that point i changed back to my old N95 8gb.
    When i brought it back into the store, the needed to Verify the problem before they'd refund it!... So i got my refund! :)

So, to summarize, I so desperately wanted to like this phone... but there was nothing in the end that could redeem it in my eyes! (even a software update that my solve some of the bugs, still won't solve the click screen issue)

If anyone has any specific questions, PM me and i'd be more than happy to answer.

T>
    actually i'm in the same boat today...had all those problems too.
    when it works it is great but.... couldn't get sms for some reason today and couldn't answer calls by pressing either the physical green button or the touch screen one.

Another issue i had was when you ring an automated number like a bank and it asks you to press 1 for the customer service agent etc., hitting the numbers did nothing unless i had the phone in speaker mode!:confused:

I really like the device for some of the cool things it does, email, tv, beautiful display but it can't do the basics that a mobile phone is supposed to...sms and answer phone calls.:eek: it can be a little laggy too.

Its software needs a major kick up the arse.

I'll bring it back monday.

actually i'm in the same boat today...had all those problems too.
    when it works it is great but.... couldn't get sms for some reason today and couldn't answer calls by pressing either the physical green button or the touch screen one.

Another issue i had was when you ring an automated number like a bank and it asks you to press 1 for the customer service agent etc., hitting the numbers did nothing unless i had the phone in speaker mode!:confused:

I really like the device for some of the cool things it does, email, tv, beautiful display but it can't do the basics that a mobile phone is supposed to...sms and answer phone calls.:eek: it can be a little laggy too.

Its software needs a major kick up the arse.

I'll bring it back monday.

yep i got the chance to play around with my mates 1 today and it was a let down..as soon got my hand on it i loved it but then as i started using it it got me frustrated..its a bit laggy, the touchcsreen can be very awkward to use..often selecting the wrong buttons and at first i was a fan of the click screen but it just got a bit annoying very quickly, so deffo gettin iphone 3g instead..beautiful screen tho, and it looks great, real pity bout the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Played around with the phone in the store over the weekend and I found it to be a huge disappointment. It was so slow and the software was not what I expected!

The lag between pressing the screen and the software kicking in was unacceptably slow! Similarly with the flipping from vertical to horizontal was terrible - sometimes it didn't change at all!

The assistant in the shop told me that the software is already due for upgrading so perhaps this will sort out some of the problems!

It seems that BB and Vodafone rushed out the phone to make the Christmas market without resolving the problems!

I have the Pearl and find it excellent and was waiting for the Storm!

Here's hoping for the upgraded software cos I really did want one of these!!!

• Advertisement

yeah the accelerometer sucks tbh.

the phone is growing on me again and i decided to give it another chance as it appears to be working as a phone again.:o

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I got a Storm today - big difference from my Curve.

Interesting to see an 8GB card with it. Not so pleased about the micro-usb charge cable.

It seems fast enough, screen changes ok, typing is slower than I'm used to, I had difficulty answering calls but yet when I did test calls I was able to pick them up without any probs no matter what the screen orientation was or whether I used hard/soft keys.

Browser screen is nice size but still a clumsy browser (it's been available on the curve/pearl for a while).

Camera (still & video) is nice and clear.

Played a video trailer on it (Babylon) and it looked impressive. Weighs a bit more than the curve.

I can see that the main hurdle for folk will be the touch screen for typing - I got up to a fair speed on the curve so I'll be curious to see if I can go as fast with the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

the NY Times reviewed the Storm last week (mainly from a Blackberry user's perspective)... not a good review...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/technology/personaltech/27pogue.html

4.7.0.78 firmware is now available on Vodafone.de - works fine on my storm.

parsi wrote: »
    4.7.0.78 firmware is now available on Vodafone.de - works fine on my storm.

What do that fix from the list of initial errors?

I don't know - there wasn't a chnage log visible.

It _seems_ to switch from potrait to landscape in a smoother fashion. It _seems_ to be more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

was thinking of getting the storm but ended up going for the bold. Think i made the right decision after reading a few reviews and posts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I cant even figure out how to turn on/off my caller ID on the Storm - and vodafone dont know either!!! If I havent got the bugs ironed out of this by Monday it's going back to the shop!!!!

• Advertisement

Did you try

Press green button, press blackberry button and select general options and then set "restrict my identity" to always ?

Advertisement